wgundammikezero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wgundammikezero

If your all about power, grab a Nexus 7 by Google. You get a stock Android Experience and Jelly Bean (Android's latest revision). You gotta love that Tegra 3.
This tablet however, is very solid if your not about running benchmarks. lots of internal storage, and the Playstation store set it apart from other tablets. Android was meant to be open, so there are many things in the play store, such as home replacement apps, that will help customize your experience should the Sony skin not appeal to you. Cradles for tablets on any site but Woot are crazy expensive too btw.

MilkD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MilkD
impaul4 wrote:Ok, now I have to have it. It can connect to the Playstation Store & to a PS3 controller as well. A portable PS3, um, yes please!

If only I didn't already have another tablet on order. Woot why you no swap places with the Dyson!

I don't think you can play PS3 games on it. I think it's only PSP and PS (the original) games.

danbooke2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages danbooke2001
bruman3 wrote:Du I need to pay for WiFi thru a carrier? need help with this. Thanks

Long story short, yes you will have to pay something to get WiFi in your home.

Example: Cable company charges you for cable internet and possibly a rental fee for their modem (you can use your own if you like, but that will cost you up front money too). Your modem will then connect into your wireless router which broadcasts the WiFi signal (again, you may have to pay a rental fee for this item too or go buy your own). Most wireless routers will also hardwire into other devices as well.

For instance, a cable goes from my wall to my modem, which then cables into my router, three wires go from it into my desktop PC, XBox, and PS3 - however I have the wireless signal broadcasting as well so that my two smart phones, three Nooks, two laptops, and anyone else who brings a wireless device over can connect.

Total cost for all this convenience?

About $50 to Time Warner (grumble) for internet service and modem rental a month.

I bought my own modem on Ebay for about $20 (one time fee).

Everything else is just the electricity everything uses I know that was a bit lengthy, but hope it helps!

MilkD

I have a lot of movies/tv shows on my computer. what video format do they have to be in to play on this tablet?

vantro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vantro

I've owned this Tablet since the day it was released and I'm absolutely blown away at the price. This is a great tablet and worth the asking price here, you will not be disappointed.

danbooke2001

MilkD wrote:I have a lot of movies/tv shows on my computer. what video format do they have to be in to play on this tablet?

I use the Mobo Video player on my Android phone, if you're able to download that app to this - it will play anything.

vantro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vantro
MilkD wrote:I have a lot of movies/tv shows on my computer. what video format do they have to be in to play on this tablet?

Using some 3rd party apps you should be fine with whatever they're currently in. Mp4/MKV for me worked just fine.

sonyguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonyguy
danbooke2001 wrote:Deciding factor: Can I download the Netflix app from Google Play? I saw the Nook app in a video, so it's already set up to do 25% of what I want it to do. Adding a pre-installed Crackle app, and all the IR remote capabilities, with PS1 game options and the Sony store added another 50% If this can access the Netflix app, Woot will get another $260 from me!

Help me buy my first tablet TT! :-P

Hey there, I work at Sony on the Tablet. YES! You can absolutely get Netflix app from Google Play to use on Sony Tablet to access your Netflix account and watch films and tv shows in your queue.

danbooke2001

Okay, I am pulling the trigger, I am going to make another drink and then buy it. The fiance is gonna be so pissed!

gareed

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gareed
sdfreedive wrote:Looks like they are dumping this soon as the next version is about to drop.

Spec wise its not bad. Considering this one as a kids toy.

Yeah, very nice specs... what's in store: Sony Xperia Tablet

No plan survives execution

jchkao1125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jchkao1125
mfitch wrote:this is a sweet tablet - and it was $399 on 1saleaday just 2 weeks ago without the cradle.

(and the cradle is very cool - like the sony guy said, you attach your charger to the cradle and then it charges your tablet while it's in the cradle.)

In for 1

-----------------------------------
1Saleaday had it for $299.99 plus $4.99 for s/h. However, it was for the 16gb model and it did not come with the cradle.

Plus, Woot is way way more reputable than 1Saleaday.

bobmoll

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bobmoll
danbooke2001 wrote:Deciding factor: Can I download the Netflix app from Google Play? ...
Help me buy my first tablet TT! :-P

Buy it then. Just installed the Netflix app to test, and am happily streaming Lilyhammer right now...
Have this tablet and every other A and B brand tablet at work, and this one is one of my favorites. Not everybody at work likes it (while we were developing our Android app), but it is a great device for consuming media in my (pretty intensive) experience.
If I hadn't just bought a Nexus 7 (and already have a Kindle Fire, and a Motorola Xoom, don't ask...), at this price with 32GB it's a *great* value.

jessedebolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jessedebolt

I bought one (16g version) about seven months ago. Great tablet and was able to upgrade to ICS (Android 4), however it started acting up and last week would not boot. Had to send it to Sony for repair under warranty. After researching the problem found that many are having issues. Currently waiting for back-ordered part before they can send it back to me.

It has been a great tab and has awesome features like programmable IR remote, SD card support up to 32gig, USB input (for external hard drives, thumb drives, etc.)

I would recommend, but with caution that you may need to send it to Sony for repair later. I paid $399 and another $59 for the dock.

queesy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages queesy

You should know that they just leaked info on the new successor to this tablet. It will inherit the XPERIA name from sony's phone line, slimmer, better battery, ICS / JELLYBean

danbooke2001

Done deal... I cannot wait to get this thing I am super excited, first tablet experience other than my EVO phone and Nook color...

Woot, when you ship this to Texas will you also supply a portable air conditioner inside the box? It's hot here and I don't want it to melt

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Even though Sony was very late to releasing this 1st Android tablet computer last year in the 3rd Qtr. of 2011, they did a much better job than other newbie tablet manufacturers in entering the Tablet PC market & in trying to catch up to the other tablet market leaders.

It seems this Sony S Tablet has most common features, except it's missing a video output like not having an HDMI connection to show videos on larger screen HDTV's from what I've read in reviews that appear to be mostly positive. Reviews mentioned this tablet uses power faster, lasting more like 5-hours instead of the 8-hours in the specs.

borntohunt

Photos & charts & presentation slides of the next 2012 Sony Xperia Tablet Model SGPT1211 were leaked 3 weeks ago & planned for release next month Sept. 2012. See web link below for more:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1762902

New Sony Tablet SGPT1211 Coming (All News Details Here)

July 10th, 2012

CPU: Tegra3 Quad-Core Processor
CAMERA: 1MP(Front)/8MP(Rear)
BATTERY: 6000 mAh
BODY: Magnesium-Aluminium Alloy
WEIGHT: 570gm, or 1.26 lbs.
RELEASE DATE: September 2012
PRICE DETAILS:
16GB $399.99
32GB $499.99
64GB $599.99

(also reports this tablet cannot be rooted & Sony lacks outside developer support)

kjsmason2010

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kjsmason2010

I am a apple person and love my ipad. However, my 5yr old likes nick jr. games and he can't play them on there because you can't download flash on the ipad. So does this tablet have flash? That is all I need to confirm before the kids are off my ipad and onto this lovely sony tablet.

borntohunt

Here's more charts & details at the web link below:

http://www.mobiflip.de/sony-xperia-tablet-weitere-details-zum-sgpt1211/

Sony Xperia Tablet: More details SGPT1211

31 July 2012

"also brings you again a 3G version"

danbooke2001

Off to play some Dues Ex, good night Woot! (Kinda wonder where TT is tonight, she shouldn't get any days off)

jacksalon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jacksalon

Just thought I'd save others the time (or maybe have someone concretely prove me wrong), but don't buy it for the PSN & PSP possibilities. From spending 2+ hours searching Google and Amazon reviews for a definitive answer on the topic, it seems that there are basically NO real games to speak of - like maybe 10 or so, and they're not ones you'd want to play. People are commenting repeatedly in their reviews about how "more games might be added", and it hasn't happened.

Here's a news article from this year's E3 in June 2012 that says "The initial run of PlayStation Certified games differed little from other mobile app stores, and disappointingly didn't include actual PlayStation games. While Sony insists that was never the intent, it was confusing for consumers looking to get classic PlayStation games"
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-57447250-10391702/htc-yeah-well-give-sonys-playstation-certified-a-go/

I was super bummed to be led to believe I could play well-known PSP and PSOne games on this tablet... just isn't true.

borntohunt

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/31/3205976/sony-xperia-tablet-rumored-specs

Sony Xperia Tablet leaks: a Surface-style Android tablet

July 31, 2012

The slides reveal a thinner, lighter, and more powerful tablet that refines the Tablet S' folded-magazine aesthetic. The new device will apparently be branded simply as the 'Xperia Sony Tablet.' It'll arrive with a number of improvements over its predecessor, including a Tegra 3 processor; Android 4.0 "or later;" 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of internal storage; 3G connectivity; and a larger 6000mAh battery good for 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing. Sony says the Xperia tablet's 8.8mm-thick splash-proof aluminum shell is 42 percent thinner than the Tablet S'.

Also of interest is a keyboard cover which will undoubtably remind many of the keyboard revealed with Microsoft's Surface tablet. Sony's vision for the accessory is a little different, however — it seems to wrap around the entire tablet, and folds at the back to negate the need for a kickstand.

Android 4.0 "or later"

borntohunt

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260200/images_of_sony_xperia_tablet_leaked_online.html

Images of Sony Xperia Tablet Leaked Online

Aug 1, 2012

"The entertainment-oriented tablet also offers a bunch of connectivity options and accessories. HDMI output, Bluetooth 3.0, SD card, and even 3G connectivity are part of the package."

danbooke2001

jacksalon wrote:Just thought I'd save others the time (or maybe have someone concretely prove me wrong), but don't buy it for the PSN & PSP possibilities. From spending 2+ hours searching Google and Amazon reviews for a definitive answer on the topic, it seems that there are basically NO real games to speak of - like maybe 10 or so, and they're not ones you'd want to play. People are commenting a year ago in their reviews about how "more games might be added", and it hasn't happened.

Here's a news article from this year's E3 in June 2012 that says "The initial run of PlayStation Certified games differed little from other mobile app stores, and disappointingly didn't include actual PlayStation games. While Sony insists that was never the intent, it was confusing for consumers looking to get classic PlayStation games"
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-21539_7-57447250-10391702/htc-yeah-well-give-sonys-playstation-certified-a-go/

I was super bummed to be led to believe I could play well-known PSP and PSOne games on this tablet... just isn't true.

Oh snap, SonyGuy? Tell us the TRUTH!!

MilkD

Anyone have experience with the "unlimited" music/movies? More interested in the movies. Are they really free? Do I just download them to this tablet or are they streaming? I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this guy.

BIGsinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BIGsinner
ewascent wrote:Any idea if Windows 8 installs on this?

I don't believe so. Windows and Android are two different OS. If you are tech savy enough, you might be able to root your tablet, then search for Windows OS rom to install it. Sony is known for being very guarded about keeping their products locked up. I'm not sure if anyone has found a way to unlock the bootloader yet.

However Android 4.0 (aka Ice Cream Sandwich) is now available if you want to upgrade your OS from Honeycomb. (aka Android 3.0)

TiraNomChu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TiraNomChu
Chandin wrote:Reminiscing about my old Sony Clie. Perfect for reading ebooks and using omni-remote. I had the Pwr and channel buttons mapped to the jog wheel.

It'll be nice to do PDA stuff and still have access to a remote again.

Hmm, sad that this was a selling point for me.

Outdoor Mulch For Gardening my clie was the most awesome piece of equipment from back in the day. I felt SOOO cool with the one I got from my dad. Granted, I was pretty much a kid when I had it, so it wasn't so useful, but it was great at the notekeeping and to-do lists I did use it for...

I LOVED THIS TABLET IN-STORE! the price is what drove me over to the toshiba thrive.... but at this price, like so many have said... and new... why haven't you ordered yours yet?

TiraNomChu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TiraNomChu
danbooke2001 wrote:Done deal... I cannot wait to get this thing I am super excited, first tablet experience other than my EVO phone and Nook color...

Woot, when you ship this to Texas will you also supply a portable air conditioner inside the box? It's hot here and I don't want it to melt

lol isn't woot in Dallas or something? I'm in San Antonio and some days my mailbox actually gets so hot, I almost wish I could go pick up my items instead of trusting the postal service.

I'm sure gas from here to there would cost much more than the $5 shipping though :P

borntohunt

Woot did a good job beating Target's nice sales price on these that expired or ended yesterday.

http://dealnews.com/Sony-Tablet-S-9-16-GB-Android-Tablet-for-280-free-shipping-32-GB-350-more/599966.html

The deals, with free shipping:

Sony Tablet S Accessories Bundle for $50
Sony Tablet S 9.4" 16GB Google Android Tablet (pictured) for $280
Sony Tablet S 9.4" 32GB Google Android Tablet for $350

blitzlinger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blitzlinger

This is *very* well priced and you can't get any more features for this price, been looking for a decent tablet for the wife so I pulled the trigger (hopefully she doesn't read this it's a surprise).

System error, strike any user to continue...

borntohunt

I wonder what Android apps come free & preloaded on the Sony S Tablet???

Here's the Sony tablet computer product web site below:

http://Sony.com/Tablet

OR

http://discover.store.sony.com/tablet/#intro

AND

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=SGPT112US/S#features

32GB Sony Tablet S
Model number: SGPT112US/S

borntohunt

Android 4.0 available for Sony Tablet S

Published on Apr 26, 2012 by sonyelectronics

Android 4.0, aka Ice Cream Sandwich, is now available for Sony Tablet S. Watch this video to see the new features you can enjoy with the update.

publicart

quality posts: 7 Private Messages publicart

Great deal! I was totally on board until I watched that video and read some reviews saying the screen isn't bright enough for direct sunlight! The Playstation Store option drew me in, but my main motivation for getting a tablet is outdoor use, so I'll have to pass.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239253/sony_tablet_s_review_a_tablet_that_goes_beyond_basics.html

uberporsche

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uberporsche

For that price, it's really not a bad tablet at all.

I have one with similar specs and I love it.

borntohunt

Introducing the Sony Tablet

Uploaded by SONYUK on Sep 5, 2011

The new Sony Tablet.

JosephPalreiro

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JosephPalreiro

Wow. Did I really need this?

Yes. Yes I did.

Anyone need a 32GB TouchPad?

borntohunt

Sony Tablet Commercial

Published on Apr 20, 2012 by sonyelectronics

The latest commercials from Sony.

Learn more about the Sony Tablet at Sony.com/Tablet

pkphilip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pkphilip

This tab is old, but the spec is good and it has an IR port to use as a universal remote.

Price is too good for a new tablet. I just hate the heavily skinned Android.

borntohunt

New Tablet S Device Unboxed

Uploaded by sonyelectronics on Aug 31, 2011

Check out the new Sony Tablet S device now available for order. It's the official packaging unboxed by the SGNL by Sony Team. See what's inside the box, the tablet design and a few other fun discoveries our hosts find inside.

borntohunt

NEW Sony Tablet S Leaked (SGPT1211, Aluminum-Magnesium Finish, 16GB, 32GB & More)

Published on Jul 11, 2012 by playinfinite

Sony is working on a next-generation tablet S device; made of AL5052, an aluminum-magnesium alloy, and have a sandblasted, anodized, and laser-printed finish. Judging by some documents that have recently passed through the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) in the United States. Very little is given away, but the label info has been published which clearly shows that this is a "Tablet Device" and will carry model number SGPT1211.

Whether this is the successor to the Sony Tablet S Android slate remains to be seen, although we would be very surprised if Sony didn't have a next-gen tablet on the table. Who knows, Sony may even be working on a Windows tablet? We'll bring you more information as we have it.

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/07/09/new-sony-tablet-sgpt1211-passes-through-fcc-tablet-s-successor/