radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I've always been a little scared of Sony products that are used for any kind of "content" (as opposed to cameras, etc.), as they own both the hardware to play content and also own a lot of the content you want to play. There is a tall wall of lawyers between them, which resulted in some really horrible schemes for "content management" and DRM stunts. Any ideas if that is the case here?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

crimsonrain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crimsonrain

Can Amazon Prime Vid's be viewed on this?

I only just started using the streaming through my Amazon Prime account on my Kindle Fire, but would love to get a bigger screen and still watch Fringe!!

Thanks in Advance!

denniey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denniey

Ah man! I already have one! Wish they'd had this back before I had bought mine. Couldn't live without mine. I've had it now since December and love it!

shaun40555

quality posts: 5 Private Messages shaun40555

I was ready to actually purchase this until I saw it had no HDMI out. I think that's kinda needed these days. My girlfriend has a Thrive and hooks it up to the TV with a super long HDMI cable for netflix and other streaming. Kinda convenient when traveling or showing pictures too. Besides Sony is so in the weeds on tablets I doubt there's a robust supply of the cheap third party accessories.

cybernevets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybernevets

===> Jelly Bean does not support Flash

I have the Nexus 7 and really like the size. The Jelly Bean (4.1) interface is quite a bit cleaner than Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0). However, and this is big for me, Jelly Bean does not support Flash. Flash (at least for now) is one of the things that made Android better for me than iOS. Now there is no incentive for me to use a Jelly Bean Android tablet instead of my iPad. The SiriusXM app will not run on my Nexus 7, which I'm now going to return after I buy this Sony (running ICS).

EvilHomerClone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EvilHomerClone
cutier33 wrote:Does the cradle charge the tablet or just allow it to sit up nicely?

Ihe cradle has a port to accept a power supply. The cradle doesn't come with its own (you have to use the power supply that is included in the tablet box. You can pick up an extra one from the net for under $20.

Incase you were wondering, that is all the cradle does. Charge & hold. No other ports, no other functions. However there are some included apps that can recognize that the device has been cradled and will auto load a specific app that can turn the tablet into a functioning digital picture frame, clock, and i can't remember the rest (i used to own one at the beginning of the year)

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Hmm I wish I could remember why I decided not to buy this a few months back. I thought maybe it was a lack of SD card support, but another poster says it has SD.

Maybe it was just the price? *smacks head a few times* Decisions, decisions.. if I could only rememeber.

I do remember looking at one at BestBuy and it was slightly unwieldy.. but at this price, heck, could use it as a digital frame. Decent digital frames are going for like 179 or more...

EvilHomerClone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EvilHomerClone
MilkD wrote:I have a lot of movies/tv shows on my computer. what video format do they have to be in to play on this tablet?

Sony Manual

There is a section called Supported Formats.
However i can tell you I had a HELL of a hard time getting this to play the higher end videos even when i encoded to their specs. I used MX player to assist but now on my newer tablet, i use BSPlayer (funny name, great product)

My experience with the Sony Tablet was before ICS was sent to it so i dont know if ICS fixed some of the Honeycomb problems i faced.

AndyW06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyW06

I am very Tempted; I am looking for a tablet to replace my Sony Dash as my Alarm Clock. I do not like how Sony dumped the Dash, so am a bit leary of buying another Sony Gadget,

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

I live on the east coast and get in on these deals late since I am usually asleep when Woot posts them. Once I saw the deal I did about an hours worth of reseach, including watching the entire Youtube video that dpb39 linked to on page 1 of the comments.

I am a very skeptical buyer (especially here on Woot) and have left a number of negative comments about products sold here but guess what ... I ordered one. My wife has a Motorola Zoom and has been bugging me to get a tablet of my own. Every time she has an issue with the unit she comes running to me for tech support ... but I don't own an Android device nor do I know much about the OS.

What really sold me is the Youtube video, the price and the fact that you are getting the 32 GB model AND the cradle. Reviewers have given the device mostly positive reviews. As I watched the 34 minute review I wrote down ALL of the negatives that I could find related to the tablet. Most reviews of tablets contain numerous "bad" or negative points ... this review contained only three (3) while I came up with a fourth. Here is what I came up with:

1) No HDMI - I could care less. I have NO desire to hook this device up to a TV. We watch too much TV anyway.

2) Screen brightness - The reviewer raved about the True Black display and the resolution of the unit but commented that the brightness of the screen could be better.

3) No Gorilla Glass - This ia an issue to me. I baby my electronics but accidents do happen. I bought regardless of this and will use a screen protector.

4) This is a dated device. The review if from over 18 months ago. This is not/will not be "cutting edge" tech. I don't care right now, the price is right and you get a lot for the money.

Thanks for reading ...

bkd69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkd69

grrr...arggh

Great price, allegedly good tablet, and the IR port seems to really do it for me, but...as much as I love the Sony Dashs which I've bought from Woot, Sony put themselves on the shitlist for their argument that customers have no right to complain when they revoke features after the warranty expires.

so torn...

Your Woot Is Not My Woot, But Your Woot Is OK.

ttweed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttweed
cybernevets wrote:===> Jelly Bean does not support Flash.

The stock Chrome browser does not support Flash, but if you use the Firefox Beta browser on your Nexus 7, Flash works just fine.

NascarDad

I remember why I ran away from this tab - because the SD could only be used to transfer files, you could not play or use anything on the SD card, only transfer it to the tablet.

I hear ICS "fixes" that, but I also hear ICS on the Sony S has broken a bunch of stuff like Netflix. I dont care about Netflix, but still, not sure what else ICS might have "un-optimized"...

a 32 gig model might not be such a big deal about the SD "transfer-only" .... hmmm

ali1331

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ali1331

Anyone find a protective case that will work with the dock?

mysterytrout

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mysterytrout

Just pulled the trigger for one. I bought my wife a Motorola Xoom for Mother's Day and she (I) loves it! I've been debating on just getting another one or seeing what Woot would eventually offer. This thing has crazy good reviews - let's hope they're all true!

archiwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archiwiz

Ahem... I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but I was holding out for a price reduction on these until the Surface was announced. I will definitely be getting a Surface once they're available, but this is sooooooo tempting. Can anyone offer advice on this dilemma?

katknits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages katknits

Does anyone know if this has language settings? Specifically interested if the default language could be changed to French. Thanks!

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Oh man! I am soooo on the fence with this woot! We've been looking for a tablet and this one seems to have all the features we want, and the price??!! Wow!! What to do, what to do?

Wish it had an HDMI out though....

MilkD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MilkD
NascarDad wrote:I remember why I ran away from this tab - because the SD could only be used to transfer files, you could not play or use anything on the SD card, only transfer it to the tablet.

I hear ICS "fixes" that, but I also hear ICS on the Sony S has broken a bunch of stuff like Netflix. I dont care about Netflix, but still, not sure what else ICS might have "un-optimized"...

a 32 gig model might not be such a big deal about the SD "transfer-only" .... hmmm

there are problems with netflix on ICS? Still debating if I should get this tablet or not.

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill
katknits wrote:Does anyone know if this has language settings? Specifically interested if the default language could be changed to French. Thanks!

One of the vids posted in the comments above shows a language setting.

mrrainmaker123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrrainmaker123

On Amazon it lists this as having 2G memory, but the one on Woot is 1G.

kenlibcampbell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenlibcampbell

Pros - Easier to hold ergonomically with the folded design and textured back. Full size SD card slot. Upgradeable to ICS.

Cons - Proprietary Charger & no HDMI.

Overall a nice tablet and now a great deal with this amazingly low price!! I purchased the 16GB version from the Yellow Tag store last month for $279. Thought that was a good price until this Woot.

I'm in for one, simply because of the price and potential Jelly Bean upgrade rumor.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1742787

ninjustin23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjustin23

Great deal for the price with a cradle. Sony Tablets also have the added abiliy to play some playstation games that others can't.

I would recommend this to anyone that doesn't want to play HD videos they've downloaded. Tegra 2 isn't powerful enough for to play some codecs properly. You want a Tegra 3 tablet for that.

NascarDad

MilkD wrote:there are problems with netflix on ICS? Still debating if I should get this tablet or not.

Seems there MAY be a general issue with netflix on ICS. Not sure, but if netflix is very important to you , you will want to research it thouroughly because while I find a lot of posts with people having problems, I am not finding many with dispositions to the problem.
Maybe a new update to netflix took care of the issues, but then again maybe not.

ninjustin23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjustin23
mrrainmaker123 wrote:On Amazon it lists this as having 2G memory, but the one on Woot is 1G.

No tablet out that I'm aware of uses more than 1gb of memory. Even the iPads only have 1gb. That's all you need.

NascarDad

mrrainmaker123 wrote:On Amazon it lists this as having 2G memory, but the one on Woot is 1G.

the page on SonyStyle.com says 1G, so I would go with that.

radboyzonly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radboyzonly

so...can I play angry birds on it?

wesdapilot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wesdapilot

I'm probably going to be sorry that I only bought one......

fast45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fast45

My wife has an android phone through SPRINT and wants a tablet. Don't know squat abput any of them. She is interested in one for games, surfing the web, and phone messages. Does this tablet do any or all of these?

wallersh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wallersh

Anyone know if you can stream or "throw" video from the Tablet S to a PS3 connected to a TV? I see that you can stream to a DLNA capable HDTV, but I have an older HDTV that does not support this. I do have a PS3 that has DLNA, so I'm hoping that I could push content from the tablet to the TV through the PS3. Thoughts?

sunbc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunbc
eneal10 wrote:Just bought a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 and now regret it. Assuming a smooth upgrade to ICS, this tab is better if a bit smaller than the Samsung. Very nice price for a large (-ish) tablet with nice specs and the ability to expand storage inexpensively.

New Xperia tablet will be announced soon, looks like Amazon is liquidating this model's stock...Sony is notorious for promising updating to higher Android OS, and not following through...ICS might arrive, might not for this model.

sonyguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonyguy
sunbc wrote:New Xperia tablet will be announced soon, looks like Amazon is liquidating this model's stock...Sony is notorious for promising updating to higher Android OS, and not following through...ICS might arrive, might not for this model.

Hello, I work at Sony. 4.0 ICS has been available on this device since the spring. Anyone who buys Sony Tablet S can instantly upgrade as soon as the Tablet is connected to a Wi-Fi signal.

ferretwoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ferretwoman

I was going to buy a Nexus 7 today, even though I already have a Galaxy Tab 7 inch. But now I'm torn - this has more memory, bigger screen (which is a definite plus to me) and will upgrade to ICS. Ugh, what to do, what to do.

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
bmrbill wrote:Oh man! I am soooo on the fence with this woot! We've been looking for a tablet and this one seems to have all the features we want, and the price??!! Wow!! What to do, what to do?

Wish it had an HDMI out though....

Just wait a little longer. If you really want this it will be cheaper in the future. Maybe go sign up to the sonyrewards site, they usually have real good deals on older products once they make an announcement about a newer one.

Frankly I was very tempted myself until I realized that they don't use gorilla or dragon glass on it, from what I see on the net they just put a scratch resistant coating on it and people are saying it doesn't help much... Which what I would expect of a coating.... probably not even as resistant as the glass would be.

Moreover if it ain't one of the higher end glasses it means it will be much easier to break if you drop it or god forbid someone sits on it (have had that happen to my Ipad but because its the higher end glass it didn't shatter).

BigJake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigJake

Just like Crimsonrain, I too would like to know if this supports Amazon Prime vids. Anyone have any experience with this?

mfitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfitch
danbooke2001 wrote:Deciding factor: Can I download the Netflix app from Google Play? I saw the Nook app in a video, so it's already set up to do 25% of what I want it to do. Adding a pre-installed Crackle app, and all the IR remote capabilities, with PS1 game options and the Sony store added another 50% If this can access the Netflix app, Woot will get another $260 from me!

Help me buy my first tablet TT! :-P

my daughter is running netflix on this tablet and it is incredible

27 unique / 44 total woot'ed items in 2010 - how did that happen?

rls5098

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rls5098

I went out on my own and bought one at list price a few months ago and I don't regret it at all.

It upgrades to ICS immediately out of the box. The shape is comfortable and the screen looks good. One of the nicest features is the IR transmitter. It recognizes tons of devices with no work at all, and if something isn't on the list you can teach it. IE... I told it what brand my TV and Blu-Ray player were and it knew what to send. I then also taught it the commands for my ceiling fan, so now I can control all of them at once.

For the price, this woot is a steal.

danbooke2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages danbooke2001
TiraNomChu wrote:lol isn't woot in Dallas or something? I'm in San Antonio and some days my mailbox actually gets so hot, I almost wish I could go pick up my items instead of trusting the postal service.

I'm sure gas from here to there would cost much more than the $5 shipping though :P

I'm in San Antonio too! Yeah, I seem to remember seeing that all my packages are coming from Dallas when I track them... wish I could just go pick this one up so I could play with it this weekend, lol.

As a side note though, I used the promo code "TAXSUCKS" and it took $5 off my order, not sure if that was supposed to happen or not >_< so that makes up for the shipping O.o

mfitch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfitch
NascarDad wrote:Seems there MAY be a general issue with netflix on ICS. Not sure, but if netflix is very important to you , you will want to research it thouroughly because while I find a lot of posts with people having problems, I am not finding many with dispositions to the problem.
Maybe a new update to netflix took care of the issues, but then again maybe not.

last night, netflix on this tablet with ICS upgrade in place works great.

27 unique / 44 total woot'ed items in 2010 - how did that happen?

fast45

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fast45

My wife has an android phone through SPRINT and wants a tablet. Don't know squat about any of them. She is interested in one for games, surfing the web, and phone messages. Does this tablet do any or all of these?