davidmcgill


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill

Just bought two of these. After having the "fire sale" HP Touchpad, the Sony Tablet is going to be awesome.

Dr_Romulus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dr_Romulus

I was excited until I realized that they probably support cinavia on here like they do on the PS3.
Since I want to use this for movies on my frequent plane rides I'm not dealing with their bullspit of not letting me watch rips of the blurays discs that i purchased. Not everything comes with digital copies and they certainly aren't universally supported.

gillinforest


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gillinforest

Would love, love, love to get this but the lack of gorilla glass scares me. My kids use most of my things on occaision. Should I go for something sturdier? It's a great price and does what I need.

Dud


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud
sunbc wrote:New Xperia tablet will be announced soon, looks like Amazon is liquidating this model's stock...Sony is notorious for promising updating to higher Android OS, and not following through...ICS might arrive, might not for this model.






Did you do any research before you made this statement? Sonyguy is correct, ICS was released for this tablet some time ago:


http://blog.sony.com/icsforsonytablets

:/

Dud


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud
gillinforest wrote:Would love, love, love to get this but the lack of gorilla glass scares me. My kids use most of my things on occaision. Should I go for something sturdier? It's a great price and does what I need.




That was a concern of mine as well. I would either put a screen protector on it or not let your kids use it. Get a good case as well. A number of "compatible" products are available on ebay.

MilkD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MilkD
Dr_Romulus wrote:I was excited until I realized that they probably support cinavia on here like they do on the PS3.
Since I want to use this for movies on my frequent plane rides I'm not dealing with their bullspit of not letting me watch rips of the blurays discs that i purchased. Not everything comes with digital copies and they certainly aren't universally supported.



I was wondering about this but someone told me about several 3rd party apps on the android store and said it plays almost anything. Can anybody chime in on this?

anarce


quality posts: 1 Private Messages anarce

I've had the 16GB version of this tablet for about 8 months, and it's great! I can hardly get it away from my wife and kids. I really like Sony's ergonomic folded-magazine shape compared to all the flat tablets out there.

I use the cradle all the time to charge it, and it sits on the shelf with our other pictures and stuff. You can set it to show a picture slideshow when you put it in the cradle, and then it basically looks like a digital photo frame that you can grab and start using. Lately though I have been using the clock mode in the cradle because we don't have any other clocks visible in that room.

Upgrading to ICS was easy, and now the tablet can read files from the SD card and run Chrome. I put movies on the card for the kids on a trip, and it plays them no problem. I have other movies stored on my Synology NAS, and I can stream them to the tablet with a couple apps, like bubbleUPNP or moboplayer.

At this price, this tablet is a steal!

mojophilly1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mojophilly1

I have the 16 GB model and I am able to play videos, etc of the SD card without transferring it. You go to the transfer app and then click on the files and it plays them, real simple.

NascarDad wrote:I remember why I ran away from this tab - because the SD could only be used to transfer files, you could not play or use anything on the SD card, only transfer it to the tablet.

I hear ICS "fixes" that, but I also hear ICS on the Sony S has broken a bunch of stuff like Netflix. I dont care about Netflix, but still, not sure what else ICS might have "un-optimized"...

a 32 gig model might not be such a big deal about the SD "transfer-only" .... hmmm



smmct


quality posts: 0 Private Messages smmct

Does anyone know if music can be played from my itunes libarary to the sony tablet?

rdctali


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rdctali

Does anyone know how many foreign languages this device can support (or switch to)? Thanks a lot, very tempted.

MilkD


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MilkD
mojophilly1 wrote:I have the 16 GB model and I am able to play videos, etc of the SD card without transferring it. You go to the transfer app and then click on the files and it plays them, real simple.



so transfer them and take out the SD card? Or do you have to leave it in?

mczerechowicz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mczerechowicz

I want to use this for school. Can I access Microsoft Office with this? Particularly Power Point presentations so that I can follow along with my teacher?

Thanks!

gwalk55


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwalk55
gillinforest wrote:Would love, love, love to get this but the lack of gorilla glass scares me. My kids use most of my things on occaision. Should I go for something sturdier? It's a great price and does what I need.



My concern as well...so I added the 3 year warranty with accidental damage from drops and spills coverage...60 bucks for peace of mind that will hopefully prevent the kids from needing years of therapy sometime in the future from constantly being yelled at every time they got near the tablet..

rdyotz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdyotz

http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Doesn't show Sony S as having support for Amazon Instant Video app...

However, with flash support, you should be able to watch through a browser (not 100% sure though)

kuma99


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Too bad it's a Sony. A company I used to love and trust: Trinitron Tv's. Pro Walkmans. good times.

..then The DRM stuff. And rootkits. and crap products.

Sony has fallen so far, so fast.

Too bad it's a Sony....

mojophilly1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mojophilly1

I leave the card in all the time and play videos off it directly. It was cheaper for me to buy the 16gb model and a 16gb SD card than the 32 GB model.

MilkD wrote:so transfer them and take out the SD card? Or do you have to leave it in?



NascarDad


quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Well, against my better judgement, I am in for 1. Its not super current but considering I almost bought one in December for twice as much...

laurel9727


quality posts: 0 Private Messages laurel9727
gillinforest wrote:Would love, love, love to get this but the lack of gorilla glass scares me. My kids use most of my things on occaision. Should I go for something sturdier? It's a great price and does what I need.



go buy a screen protector for about $2 on ebay.

alvaromemo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alvaromemo

Hey, why woot denied my transaction?

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd

I've had this tablet since 2 days before the US street date last fall.

Here are some things you need to know(some of which is already in the product description):


    -It uses full size SD cards.
    -It is very comfortable to hold for hours due to the wedge shape. Far more comfortable than any of the "slate" type tablets such as an iPad/Galaxy Tab, etc.
    -Due to the comfortable form factor, it feels extremely light. It weighs a couple grams less than an iPad2.
    -The battery life is decent.
    -The only way to easily get content on here is with an SD reader or a wireless transfer program like Wifi Explorer Pro, Allshare, etc.
    -It has an annoying proprietary charger
    -IT DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY CAPACITIVE STYLUS. They use a crushed mineral glass that interferes. Your fingers will be read perfectly, styli will be glitchy and the cursor will "jump" randomly.
    -The screen has Sony TruBlack technology. It's pretty nice, but kind of dim.
    -This tablet has an ICS upgrade(or ships with ICS) and it runs fairly well. The upgrade is modified, not stock. I use Nova Launcher on mine


Overall, I am happy with this tablet. I honestly hope Sony keeps this design and bumps up the hardware specs. I would buy the sequel in a heartbeat.

This is definitely worth the price listed. If I didn't have it already, I'd definitely pick one up.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try and clear things up for you!

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
rdyotz wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/video/ontv/devices

Doesn't show Sony S as having support for Amazon Instant Video app...

However, with flash support, you should be able to watch through a browser (not 100% sure though)


You can!

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
MilkD wrote:I was wondering about this but someone told me about several 3rd party apps on the android store and said it plays almost anything. Can anybody chime in on this?



You can watch just about anything on this tablet. It doesn't come with all the codecs pre-installed like on a Samsung device, but you can find them in the Play Store.

Zetabee


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zetabee

[quote postid="5109798" user="If only I didn't already have another tablet on order. Woot why you no swap places with the Dyson![/quote] I know, right? I had another tablet on order too, but I went ahead and cancelled it and ordered this one instead, haha.

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
NascarDad wrote:I remember why I ran away from this tab - because the SD could only be used to transfer files, you could not play or use anything on the SD card, only transfer it to the tablet.

I hear ICS "fixes" that, but I also hear ICS on the Sony S has broken a bunch of stuff like Netflix. I dont care about Netflix, but still, not sure what else ICS might have "un-optimized"...

a 32 gig model might not be such a big deal about the SD "transfer-only" .... hmmm



Since it had Honeycomb, I've been able to play files from the SD card.

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
laurel9727 wrote:go buy a screen protector for about $2 on ebay.



It's actually a pretty durable screen, even without Gorilla Glass.

I think it's also less responsive with a cover.

I have the skinomi Carbon Fiber cover all over the tablet, though. Great stuff.

alvaromemo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alvaromemo
alvaromemo wrote:Hey, why woot denied my transaction?



Please help me, i really want this tablet.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
alvaromemo wrote:Please help me, i really want this tablet.



Hey, we can't really help you here in the forum pinpoint what specifically is the problem, but service@woot.com has a lot more tools to help figure out your issue. You should drop them a line!

I'm just hanging out, really.

rrsuthy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rrsuthy

If I take this with me to foreign countries, can I charge it with the provided cord or do I need a converter (I have an adapter)?

alvaromemo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alvaromemo
inkycatz wrote:Hey, we can't really help you here in the forum pinpoint what specifically is the problem, but service@woot.com has a lot more tools to help figure out your issue. You should drop them a line!



ok. thank you .

trouble4u2


quality posts: 7 Private Messages trouble4u2

Oh crap. I want one and I placed my order but the dumb thing went through 3 times!! Now what? I did hit cancel for 2 of the orders and I hope that works.
Why can't I find a phone number to call WOOT? Help? Someone? Anyone?

henn2u


quality posts: 0 Private Messages henn2u

Can you type word documents, create reports etc. on tablets? This is going to be my first time buying a tablet.

alvaromemo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alvaromemo
alvaromemo wrote:ok. thank you .


Just a simple question. The billing address must be the same that the credict card address?. Im have a valid us address, but my credict card is from colombia.

zerac


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zerac

Does this with ICS allow it to read NTFS formatted SD cards?

Dud


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud
gwalk55 wrote:My concern as well...so I added the 3 year warranty with accidental damage from drops and spills coverage...60 bucks for peace of mind that will hopefully prevent the kids from needing years of therapy sometime in the future from constantly being yelled at every time they got near the tablet..





Where di you pick up a 3-year warranty for $60? Square Trade is offering a 3-year warranty for only $41.99.


joecooool


quality posts: 19 Private Messages joecooool

This is a great deal. I own a Xoom and a Nexus 7 and would be all over this if I did not already have those two devices.

By the way, the Nexus 7 is not a perfect device, I'm already on my second one...

joecooool


quality posts: 19 Private Messages joecooool
Dud wrote:Where di you pick up a 3-year warranty for $60? Square Trade is offering a 3-year warranty for only $41.99.



For what its worth, a three year warranty is pointless on something that will be obsolete in 18 months.

dliidlii


quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Amazon review from July 29 2012 is not encouraging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so pleased, July 29, 2012
By Lookin' for a lake... (NE Ohio) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sony SGPT111US/S Wi-Fi Tablet (16GB) (Personal Computers)
The tablet was purchased the week they came out, September of 2011.

At this point here are the issues I'm having:
the charging cable does not always stay connected to the tablet prohibiting it from charging.
Despite having a clean memory card, I cannot use the video because there is never enough room to save a video.
I can only save 3 photos.
Speakers have intermittently gone out... I have to do a soft reset to get them working again.
Customer service is difficult.
Each time I turn on the tablet, I get an android error message.
I cannot delete some apps (chumbly for example)
My web browser routinely crashes.
Where's all the playstation games as promised?

Here's what I love about the tablet:
The screen resolution is AMAZING. Photos and videos look great.
The remote control is really easy to use.
Size and shape are just right.

I was sent an email from Sony asking for a review of the S tablet. You would have thought that after the scathing review that someone from Sony would have contacted me. After two months, nothing. That's when I decided to let my fellow Amazon shoppers know of my experiences with this product.

So, weighing to pros and cons... I'd like my money back!

motogal


quality posts: 0 Private Messages motogal
alvaromemo wrote:Just a simple question. The billing address must be the same that the credict card address?. Im have a valid us address, but my credict card is from colombia.



Yes. The 'billing address' must match the address that the credit card has associated with it. You can use your local US address as your shipping address.

erick001


quality posts: 0 Private Messages erick001

What cases are you guys getting?

i hate pink, but the black version of this is $40.

http://www.amazon.com/iGadgitz-Guardian-Leather-Tablet-Android/dp/B0065KH8HW

gregangsten


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gregangsten

It looks like there is no easy way to charge this in a car. Am I wrong? Please don't tell me to use an inverter.