bigbirdzilla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigbirdzilla
sunbc wrote:New Xperia tablet will be announced soon, looks like Amazon is liquidating this model's stock...Sony is notorious for promising updating to higher Android OS, and not following through...ICS might arrive, might not for this model.

I just bought a 16GB Refurb on e bay through the Sony selling site it did upgrade to ICS. I returned the refurb to buy this because it was NEW, has 32 GB instead of 16 and this one was 15.00 cheaper than the refurb. I think Sony is dumping these as the price keeps going down, but for this price you can't go wrong it worked good and was fast. I should have bought 3 these are selling on e bay for 375.00

shawnstimson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnstimson

Anyone know if this proprietary charger is the same one that is used for the PSP, Sony E-reader, and/or other Sony devices?

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud
erick001 wrote:What cases are you guys getting?

i hate pink, but the black version of this is $40.

http://www.amazon.com/iGadgitz-Guardian-Leather-Tablet-Android/dp/B0065KH8HW

Try ebay ...

mojophilly1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mojophilly1

I've never had a problem with the charger cord although I hate that its proprietary. As stated before simply buy a large SD card and play your videos/music straight from there. It does crash at times but no more than my android phone.

dliidlii wrote:Amazon review from July 29 2012 is not encouraging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so pleased, July 29, 2012
By Lookin' for a lake... (NE Ohio) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sony SGPT111US/S Wi-Fi Tablet (16GB) (Personal Computers)
The tablet was purchased the week they came out, September of 2011.

At this point here are the issues I'm having:
the charging cable does not always stay connected to the tablet prohibiting it from charging.
Despite having a clean memory card, I cannot use the video because there is never enough room to save a video.
I can only save 3 photos.
Speakers have intermittently gone out... I have to do a soft reset to get them working again.
Customer service is difficult.
Each time I turn on the tablet, I get an android error message.
I cannot delete some apps (chumbly for example)
My web browser routinely crashes.
Where's all the playstation games as promised?

Here's what I love about the tablet:
The screen resolution is AMAZING. Photos and videos look great.
The remote control is really easy to use.
Size and shape are just right.

I was sent an email from Sony asking for a review of the S tablet. You would have thought that after the scathing review that someone from Sony would have contacted me. After two months, nothing. That's when I decided to let my fellow Amazon shoppers know of my experiences with this product.

So, weighing to pros and cons... I'd like my money back!

kathybarba

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kathybarba

I can not find any spec on this product that tells me my what type of file formats I can use example avi, mpeg i know it plays mp3 ?????

kenlibcampbell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenlibcampbell
kathybarba wrote:I can not find any spec on this product that tells me my what type of file formats I can use example avi, mpeg i know it plays mp3 ?????

Here is the user manual link, hope this helps. Look for the "Supported Formats" section...

http://store.sony.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/warranty/SEL-asset-273019.pdf

gwalk55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gwalk55
Dud wrote:Where di you pick up a 3-year warranty for $60? Square Trade is offering a 3-year warranty for only $41.99.

It's another $20 to add the accidental damage coverage...so now I can use my tablet while sky diving or lounging in the pool with no worries ;-)

jenraider72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenraider72
wallersh wrote:Anyone know if you can stream or "throw" video from the Tablet S to a PS3 connected to a TV? I see that you can stream to a DLNA capable HDTV, but I have an older HDTV that does not support this. I do have a PS3 that has DLNA, so I'm hoping that I could push content from the tablet to the TV through the PS3. Thoughts?

I was reading reviews on Sony's site, and it said you could throw movies, pics, vid to any tv that shares the same wifi connection, so if the Ps3 you have has and is connected to your wifi, then yes,right? Supposedly it will scan for and give you a list of all devices on the same network and you can just throw to it. At least that's what this review said, soooo....
I can't decide whether or not to pull the trigger on this one and it's killing me!!!I mainly want another option for watching video/tv- have Kindle Fire and love the Amazon instant vid store connected to my Amazon account. But this is Sony, and I love me some Sony.

schni

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schni

Why buy this rather than the Nexus 7 (same price, better OS)?

csilkman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages csilkman

Torn between this Sony and the Google Nexus 7. I'm sure by the time I decide, the Sony at Woot will be sold out though.

schni

quality posts: 4 Private Messages schni
schni wrote:Why buy this rather than the Nexus 7 (same price, better OS)?

Ok, apples and pears, sort of: Nexus 7 is 16GB at this price, and it's 7"

Still sounds better to me, though.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
csilkman wrote:Torn between this Sony and the Google Nexus 7. I'm sure by the time I decide, the Sony at Woot will be sold out though.

I wouldn't take a week to decide or anything, but let's see if we can get some folks to help sway you one way or another!

Who's up for this?

I'm just hanging out, really.

xerxestwd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
shawnstimson wrote:Anyone know if this proprietary charger is the same one that is used for the PSP, Sony E-reader, and/or other Sony devices?

As far as I know, it's completely unique to this device.

I have a PS3, had a PSP and currently own a Vita. Their cords do not match this device.

kenlibcampbell

inkycatz wrote:I wouldn't take a week to decide or anything, but let's see if we can get some folks to help sway you one way or another!

Who's up for this?

Get both!! This tablet is $498 elsewhere. That will leave you $239. The 8GB Nexus is $199, leaving you $40 to boot!!!

ozmandias

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ozmandias

Had I not just recently taken delivery on a refurb Motorola Xoom, I would seriously consider this. Love my Xoom though!

rrsuthy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rrsuthy
rrsuthy wrote:If I take this with me to foreign countries, can I charge it with the provided cord or do I need a converter (I have an adapter)?

Anyone know if this is like a PC - only need an adapter for charging? Thanks.

Dr_Romulus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dr_Romulus

Dr_Romulus wrote:
I was excited until I realized that they probably support cinavia on here like they do on the PS3.
Since I want to use this for movies on my frequent plane rides I'm not dealing with their bullspit of not letting me watch rips of the blurays discs that i purchased. Not everything comes with digital copies and they certainly aren't universally supported.

MilkD wrote:
I was wondering about this but someone told me about several 3rd party apps on the android store and said it plays almost anything. Can anybody chime in on this?

xerxestwd wrote:
You can watch just about anything on this tablet. It doesn't come with all the codecs pre-installed like on a Samsung device, but you can find them in the Play Store.

I'm not really asking if a plethora of file formats are supported, what I am talking about is Cinavia stopping the audio playback, about 20 min in, on ANY file format that is converted from a BluRay. I convert all my movies to 720p MP4 H.264 files to use on portable devices or stream to my various TVs. The Green Hornet, Wrath of the Titans & Project X all are Cinavia files that I can think of where the PS3 will kill the audio because of Cinavia[in any file format] and I would like to know if this will as well.

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9

I think you are absolutely correct... I'm in for 1!

xerxestwd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
Dr_Romulus wrote:I'm not really asking if a plethora of file formats are supported, what I am talking about is Cinavia stopping the audio playback, about 20 min in, on ANY file format that is converted from a BluRay. I convert all my movies to 720p MP4 H.264 files to use on portable devices or stream to my various TVs. The Green Hornet, Wrath of the Titans & Project X all are Cinavia files that I can think of where the PS3 will kill the audio because of Cinavia[in any file format] and I would like to know if this will as well.

I've never encountered this problem. I have Blu-Ray converted h264 files for LOTR, and beyond some fairly large file sizes, no issues have popped up.

kenlibcampbell

Dud wrote:Try ebay ...

This is one I picked up. I've only had it for a few days but it serves the purpose...also magnetic enclosures to keep the flap closed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PCK5K8/

gep1334

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gep1334

I have a Sony Netbox on my tv (like a roku and has a USB). Do these work together in any way?

heyjoie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages heyjoie

Just took a glance in the August issue of Consumer Reports and this guy is not only a recommended model but also a "CR Best Buy" (recommended models that stand out for low price). It earned a score of 80/100 when the top competitor in its class, the iPad, had an 84/100. Seems like a great buy.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
heyjoie wrote:Just took a glance in the August issue of Consumer Reports and this guy is not only a recommended model but also a "CR Best Buy" (recommended models that stand out for low price). It earned a score of 80/100 when the top competitor in its class, the iPad, had an 84/100. Seems like a great buy.

A little more info:
That was for the 16GB model, comes w/Ice Cream Sandwich and a price of $350. The Sony scored 10th out of 13 tablets in the 9-10 inch range. All tablets in this range were recommended but only the Sony was a Best Buy.

And oh yea, the reviews were created before the Nexus 7 (Nexus 7 was NOT included in the ratings).

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Convinced me! Early Christmas for the wife. And got free shipping with my Jumbowoot coupon.

Quick question to the masses, TT, anyone else... It's been a while since my last purchase, and I noticed I never was asked to input my credit card 3-digit security code. Did that change with the new-ish format of the woot! family sites?? Hoping my order went through...

cybernevets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybernevets
ttweed wrote:The stock Chrome browser does not support Flash, but if you use the Firefox Beta browser on your Nexus 7, Flash works just fine.

I tried that (installing Flash apk and using Firefox Aurora) but Flash was still clunky and the SiriusXM app (which uses Flash) would still not run - I guess as expected as the Flash "fix" is supported browser based.

tarakeet

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tarakeet

I have this tablet, minus the cradle, and I absolutely love it. It's a great tablet in general, and I like the feel of it better than the first generation iPads my kids use. The fact that you can put a memory card in it makes it the winner, in my opinion.

phanindrach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phanindrach

Can somebody please provide a squaretrade coupon code?

rhannig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhannig
xerxestwd wrote:I've had this tablet since 2 days before the US street date last fall.

Here are some things you need to know(some of which is already in the product description):

-It uses full size SD cards.
    -It is very comfortable to hold for hours due to the wedge shape. Far more comfortable than any of the "slate" type tablets such as an iPad/Galaxy Tab, etc.
    -Due to the comfortable form factor, it feels extremely light. It weighs a couple grams less than an iPad2.
    -The battery life is decent.
    -The only way to easily get content on here is with an SD reader or a wireless transfer program like Wifi Explorer Pro, Allshare, etc.
    -It has an annoying proprietary charger
    -IT DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY CAPACITIVE STYLUS. They use a crushed mineral glass that interferes. Your fingers will be read perfectly, styli will be glitchy and the cursor will "jump" randomly.
    -The screen has Sony TruBlack technology. It's pretty nice, but kind of dim.
    -This tablet has an ICS upgrade(or ships with ICS) and it runs fairly well. The upgrade is modified, not stock. I use Nova Launcher on mine

Overall, I am happy with this tablet. I honestly hope Sony keeps this design and bumps up the hardware specs. I would buy the sequel in a heartbeat.

This is definitely worth the price listed. If I didn't have it already, I'd definitely pick one up.

If you have any specific questions, let me know and I'll try and clear things up for you!

Question: Is there a work around for the lack of HDMI out?

pr0ph3t1c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pr0ph3t1c
danbooke2001 wrote:1) I don't think so, as the USB "out" on this looks to be a micro usb, the charging cable for the PS3 remote is a full USB to mini if I am not mistaken.

2) The remotes are bluetooth, so as long as you're allowed to turn your electronics on after the light goes off, I don't see why not.

There is a usb adapter and this is a fully functioning USB port. Yes PS controllers work and a whole host of other USB products not just sony.
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SGPUC1-Tablet-USB-Socket/dp/B005G2HSF2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344017261&sr=8-2&keywords=sony+tablet+s+accessories

This has IR as well as bluetooth so you can control TV's stereos, etc.

shawnstimson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawnstimson
xerxestwd wrote:As far as I know, it's completely unique to this device.

I have a PS3, had a PSP and currently own a Vita. Their cords do not match this device.

That's a bummer. Thanks for the reply though!

rezfrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rezfrog
neogoddess wrote:Would this work on Verizon hotspot or whatever they call it? I just lost my iphone and wonder if its worth paying for a new one, or maybe getting a tablet and seeing how much it costs to connect that. I rarely use my iphone as a phone and would be happy with a cheapo flip phone if there is a reasonably cheap way to connected a tablet to the internet.

I use my tablet at hotspots all the time. So yes, this may be a nice alternative to a fancy internet phone if you don't make too many phone calls. Just remember, it's not as small and you won't have access to the internet when you're not covered by a wifi network.

wqu2006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wqu2006

Gave in and got one (even though I already have a N7). Probably be using it as a digital picture frame/clock/weather with the cradle.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Any current owners of this tablet know if this adapter will work to enable hdmi connection to a TV?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8805&seq=1&format=2#description

Sony is not on the list, but the list may NOT be all inclusive.

Does this tablet have 'MHL' (Mobile High-definition Link)?

jeremyd702

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeremyd702
cutier33 wrote:Does the cradle charge the tablet or just allow it to sit up nicely?

It does charge it.

deladroid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deladroid
dliidlii wrote:Amazon review from July 29 2012 is not encouraging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so pleased, July 29, 2012
By Lookin' for a lake... (NE Ohio) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Sony SGPT111US/S Wi-Fi Tablet (16GB) (Personal Computers)
The tablet was purchased the week they came out, September of 2011.

At this point here are the issues I'm having:
the charging cable does not always stay connected to the tablet prohibiting it from charging.
Despite having a clean memory card, I cannot use the video because there is never enough room to save a video.
I can only save 3 photos.
Speakers have intermittently gone out... I have to do a soft reset to get them working again.
Customer service is difficult.
Each time I turn on the tablet, I get an android error message.
I cannot delete some apps (chumbly for example)
My web browser routinely crashes.
Where's all the playstation games as promised?

Here's what I love about the tablet:
The screen resolution is AMAZING. Photos and videos look great.
The remote control is really easy to use.
Size and shape are just right.

I was sent an email from Sony asking for a review of the S tablet. You would have thought that after the scathing review that someone from Sony would have contacted me. After two months, nothing. That's when I decided to let my fellow Amazon shoppers know of my experiences with this product.

So, weighing to pros and cons... I'd like my money back!

This sounds like a rogue app(s) issue, or maybe even an ICS update gone bad. I'd reset the device to factory settings (erase data and all) and try again before giving this kind of review. If they did try that first, then my apologies.

Background: I'm an avid Android user and developer.

Jasee

DJG

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DJG
joecooool wrote:For what its worth, a three year warranty is pointless on something that will be obsolete in 18 months.

It still pays back 100 pct of your purchase price, and if technology is moving to more for less, you easily can replace with equal or better using the $$.

DJG

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DJG

Congrats to Woot for finally posting a sale worth going after. This $260 investment will give my wife a taste of tablet life, and prove whether or not an iPad is worth it, while giving me a cool remote control, convenient tablet to put in the living room for guests to use, etc. Best sale in years!

farhan4648gul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages farhan4648gul

A great Deal it is.....!

AndyW06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyW06

I decided at this price I will get one; I think this will make a good alarm clock, replacing my Sony Dash. Can I add Square trade after I completed my order. Meant to add it?

rockonreddog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockonreddog

Wow i've been holding out on this tablet for sometime cause the price is too high but this is AWESOME. And just in time for a bday present to myself. MINE!