kennywjl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kennywjl

why my credit card always denied? did some guys meet the same issue like me? I'm foreigner and use a mastercard.

zbojanski


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zbojanski

gave in and now I'm in for one... please don't let me regret my decision and wish I woulda went with the Nexus!

archiestone


quality posts: 1 Private Messages archiestone

When these come with HDMI in/out I am so on board... but not until then.

sunbc


quality posts: 3 Private Messages sunbc
sonyguy wrote:Hello, I work at Sony. 4.0 ICS has been available on this device since the spring. Anyone who buys Sony Tablet S can instantly upgrade as soon as the Tablet is connected to a Wi-Fi signal.



Apologies, I meant Jelly Bean.

chadandtia


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chadandtia

OK I gave in! I have been wanting a tablet to be able to read, surf, and play facebook games on. I really hope I can play facebook games, can anyone tell me that?

balajikr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages balajikr

Is Woot considered an authorized Sony retailer? I see amazon is, but Woot is not mentioned on this page: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&identifier=S_Sony_Retailers
Reason I ask is I can only redeem my Sony card points at authorised retailers. TIA.

canswoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages canswoot

Damn it, with the close price tag, it's hard to decide from a Nexus 7 or this one.

archiwiz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages archiwiz
archiwiz wrote:Ahem... I don't know if anyone has asked this yet, but I was holding out for a price reduction on these until the Surface was announced. I will definitely be getting a Surface once they're available, but this is sooooooo tempting. Can anyone offer advice on this dilemma?




So no one is considering a Surface rather than this? Or even waiting for the new Sony tablets next month? I'd hate to go all in now, only to regret it in 2 months.

mrln


quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
rhannig wrote:Question: Is there a work around for the lack of HDMI out?



Depends. Amazon reviews and notebook sites reviewing this tablet say it has a DLNA server on the tablet itself. I don't own any other DLNA devices, but it appears from what others are saying that the tablet itself can serve music and video up to another DLNA device like a TV. It appears the DLNA devices the tablet sees are automatically listed and you throw the data to the receiving device you want to listen/display on.

The full extent of how this works, I don't know: I don't know the max quality of the video it can serve; I don't know if can mirror (what's on the device screen as opposed to the video data); I don't know the distance/range or how well it works; I don't know how much bandwidth it's going to suck from your wireless network; I don't know the battery life effects. Yes, I'm pretty damn useless that way.

Anyways, it may explain Sony's stupid decision not to have some video out on this (MHL, micro-HDMI).

scubalab wrote:Does this tablet have 'MHL' (Mobile High-definition Link)?



Since no one's answered...I'll take a roundabout stab. Yes, I truly, really am useless.

I don't own one (well, I do, but you know, it's from this site woot having a sale today). MHL *appears* to be a no go. I found one person who claimed they tried with an MHL adapter/cable from another tablet and it didn't work. MHL doesn't appear either in a manual pdf I looked at. That said, one site had MHL listed on a version (think some network 3g/4g one if that actually exists) but not the plain version (this one). Another foreign site (cough) site sells an MHL adapter for this. Doesn't seem anyone has claimed to have gotten anything working, which for a tablet of this age, is not a good sign that it's there, particularly considering the lack of a dedicated HDMI port of some sort to begin with.

scubalab


quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
mrln wrote:Since no one's answered...I'll take a roundabout stab. Yes, I truly, really am useless.

I don't own one (well, I do, but you know, it's from this site woot having a sale today). MHL *appears* to be a no go. I found one person who claimed they tried with an MHL adapter/cable from another tablet and it didn't work. MHL doesn't appear either in a manual pdf I looked at. That said, one site had MHL listed on a version (think some network 3g/4g one if that actually exists) but not the plain version (this one). Another foreign site (cough) site sells an MHL adapter for this. Doesn't seem anyone has claimed to have gotten anything working, which for a tablet of this age, is not a good sign that it's there, particularly considering the lack of a dedicated HDMI port of some sort to begin with.



Thanks mrln! Obviously, since I already purchased today's Woot!... not a dealbreaker!

dliidlii


quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Refurb Acer Iconia 16GB Dual 1GHz 10" Android Tablet for $190 + $8 s&h
Today only, Geeks offers the refurbished Acer Iconia A200-10g16u 10.1" 16GB Google Android Tablet for $189.99 plus around $8 for shipping. It's the lowest total price we could find now for a refurbished unit by $29, although we saw it for $10 less three weeks ago. (It's also $76 below the current price low for a new unit.) This 1.6-lb. tablet features an NVIDIA Tegra 2 250 1GHz dual-core processor, 10.1" 1280x800 touchscreen LCD, 1GB RAM, 16GB flash storage, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1+ EDR, microSD card slot, 2-megapixel front facing camera, 2-cell battery, and Google Android 3.2 OS Honeycomb (upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich).

dliidlii


quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

New: BlackBerry PlayBook 7" 32GB WiFi Tablet for $200 + free shipping
Buy.com via eBay offers the BlackBerry PlayBook 7" 32GB WiFi Tablet, model no. PRD-38548-002, for $199.99 with free shipping. That ties our February mention as the lowest total price we've seen for a new 32GB Playbook. (It's also a current price low by $61.) This 0.4"-thick tablet weighs 0.9-oz. and features a 1GHz dual-core processor, 7" 1024x600 touchscreen LCD, 32GB of internal memory, 802.11n wireless, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 3-megapixel 1080p front-facing camera, 5-megapixel 1080p rear camera, support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1, BlackBerry Tablet OS, and micro USB and HDMI ports. Deal ends August 4 at 10:45 am ET.

KeriBroderick


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KeriBroderick

CHARGING: I see only the clunky wall charger. Does is have micro USB charging capabilities?

bkd69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bkd69

Pulled the trigger. Video out is not a deal breaker, I'd like GPS, but that's not a deal breaker at this price...what I was really looking for was PDF and comics reader, so it was the screen size that sold it for me.

But still, Sony. I love their hardware, I hate their platform implementation.

And I do believe this is my most expensive Woot.

Your Woot Is Not My Woot, But Your Woot Is OK.

nordburgh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nordburgh
Dr_Romulus wrote:I'm not really asking if a plethora of file formats are supported, what I am talking about is Cinavia stopping the audio playback, about 20 min in, on ANY file format that is converted from a BluRay. I convert all my movies to 720p MP4 H.264 files to use on portable devices or stream to my various TVs. The Green Hornet, Wrath of the Titans & Project X all are Cinavia files that I can think of where the PS3 will kill the audio because of Cinavia[in any file format] and I would like to know if this will as well.



Well you can check out this link here: http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html

It lists all media that has Cinavia and all known devices to support Cinavia. This doesn't mean Sony can't update it to support Cinavia though. This list also probably isn't exhaustive. It's still possible this device supports it.

jesawdy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jesawdy
bkd69 wrote:Pulled the trigger. Video out is not a deal breaker, I'd like GPS, but that's not a deal breaker at this price...



FYI, it has GPS!

Refer to manual

commonwealth109


quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109

HELP PLEASE FELLOW WOOTERS:

I'm confused with the a new feature of Woot!, although it is on the flashlight sale at Sport! The way site is operating it wants me to pay $10 shipping if I buy two different colors of flashlights? But if I buy two of same color I pay $5 shipping?

Something doesn't seem to make sense there.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
commonwealth109 wrote:HELP PLEASE FELLOW WOOTERS:

I'm confused with the a new feature of Woot!, although it is on the flashlight sale at Sport! The way site is operating it wants me to pay $10 shipping if I buy two different colors of flashlights? But if I buy two of same color I pay $5 shipping?

Something doesn't seem to make sense there.


Your first order will unlock free shipping.

I just tested this on the ICON Rogue 1, CREE LED Flashlight offer - I put a green and gray one of this model in my cart and it says $5 shipping. If this isn't what's happening and you're getting charged twice for shipping, please let service@woot.com know so they can fix it for you.

I'm just hanging out, really.

alanhwoot


quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Better hurry if you want one; less than 10% left.

Most larger tablets have proprietary chargers, though sometimes they allow USB charging as well. The issue is simply that standard USB charging is 2.5 Watts, and and at most 10 Watts. By comparison, my Thrive charger is 30 Watts.

commonwealth109


quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109
inkycatz wrote:Your first order will unlock free shipping.

I just tested this on the ICON Rogue 1, CREE LED Flashlight offer - I put a green and gray one of this model in my cart and it says $5 shipping. If this isn't what's happening and you're getting charged twice for shipping, please let service@woot.com know so they can fix it for you.



I just can't figure out how to put two different items in my cart, maybe I'm just dumb. It looks like I have to check out with every item I want to buy.

So now I do understand it's $5 shipping for the day, but I'll have like 10 seperate credit card charges, one for every kid's shirt, shorts, flashlight I buy. I guess that's no biggie.

tshea55a


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tshea55a
cutier33 wrote:Does the cradle charge the tablet or just allow it to sit up nicely?



The tablet charger also plugs into cradle making it a charging dock as well as cradle.

alanhwoot


quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Once you select the quantity, multiple drop-downs should appear letting you select which color for each item.


gondwana321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gondwana321

I just ordered one, earlier I checked this tablet at Frys ($499). It is awesome, already had ics on it and the screen was georgeous.

commonwealth109


quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109
alanhwoot wrote:Once you select the quantity, multiple drop-downs should appear letting you select which color for each item.



I guess I'm just being hard to understand. I'm now 100% fine with multiple items of the same item. But I have to have one invoice for a blue kids polo, another for a white kids polo, another for a rogue 1 flashlight, another for a rougue 2 flashlight, and one last invoice for my irix headlamp. Either I'm dumb for doing it this way, or the site is making me do a bunch of extra clicks over and over and over again.

borntohunt


quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt
jesawdy wrote:FYI, it has GPS!

Refer to manual



Thanks for the helpful document, "Sony Tablet Help Guide SGPT11 Series".

Here's more helpful Sony Tablet Support info below:

http://tablet.sel.sony.com/1/1/SGPT112USS/#/manualsTab

Sony Tablet™ SGPT112USS

Sony Tablet™ Support
Find the latest information available for your Sony Tablet™ right here. Search help topics, tutorials, downloads, and more

Dr_Romulus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Dr_Romulus
xerxestwd wrote:I've never encountered this problem. I have Blu-Ray converted h264 files for LOTR, and beyond some fairly large file sizes, no issues have popped up.



Interesting... I'm not sure if the LOTR discs have Cinavia embedded...

kuma99


quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

I hate sony but bought one anyway. will make a hell of a tv guide/remote control. It'll still get lost in the sofa ...

here is some developer activity:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1297

this locked bootloader crap is why I don't like Sony in the first place.

hughcook


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hughcook

I am curious to know if anyone can tell me if there is an excellent case to slip this jewell into. This may help those concerned about lack of Dragon or Gorilla glass. This would relieve my concern as well.

borntohunt


quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

bmrbill


quality posts: 135 Private Messages bmrbill

So does this support any windows programs? Word, Excel, Powerpoint?

Inquiring minds...

alanhwoot


quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Office apps themselves won't run, but there are some Android apps that handle Office docs.

bmrbill


quality posts: 135 Private Messages bmrbill
alanhwoot wrote:Office apps themselves won't run, but there are some Android apps that handle Office docs.



Thank you much!

miikl1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages miikl1

Okay, I stared at this thing all day online, read reviews, really couldn't find anything that bad on it beyond battery life. And there's apps for that, so might be something to do there.

My only experience with tablets was with a Galaxy Tab 10" that ended up getting returned. The price didn't justify it-- kept having to reboot to factory, bluetooth got all jacked up, and it was no more fun than my Samsung smartphone. I became so frustrated with it, it just wasn't worth the effort.

So, at this price, I'm giving Sony a shot. $300 for 32gb 9.4" (factory warranty only) vs. $600 for 16mb 10.1" (with warranty) seems about right.

miikl1


quality posts: 4 Private Messages miikl1
miikl1 wrote:Okay, I stared at this thing all day online, read reviews, really couldn't find anything that bad on it beyond battery life. And there's apps for that, so might be something to do there.

My only experience with tablets was with a Galaxy Tab 10" that ended up getting returned. The price didn't justify it-- kept having to reboot to factory, bluetooth got all jacked up, and it was no more fun than my Samsung smartphone. I became so frustrated with it, it just wasn't worth the effort.

So, at this price, I'm giving Sony a shot. $300 for 32gb 9.4" (factory warranty only) vs. $600 for 16mb 10.1" (with warranty) seems about right.



And just for the record, my wife said "just buy it you dork".

I wonder what she bought, that she said it was cool to get this...

xerxestwd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xerxestwd
Dr_Romulus wrote:Interesting... I'm not sure if the LOTR discs have Cinavia embedded...



I wish I knew! I don't have the movies in question, or I'd confirm for you!

borntohunt


quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Here's Sony's web site annc't & instructions for the Sony Tablet S Android O/S Ver. 4 ICS update also describing the additional new features.

Sony Tablet S Android 4.0.3 Update Available on March 13, 2012

keiluk2000


quality posts: 0 Private Messages keiluk2000
csilkman wrote:Torn between this Sony and the Google Nexus 7. I'm sure by the time I decide, the Sony at Woot will be sold out though.



Just checked out the Nexus 7 in one of the local store and found out that the Nexus 7 didn't support the adobe flash player. That means a lot of graphic applications can't run on the Nexus 7....

borntohunt


quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt
keiluk2000 wrote:Just checked out the Nexus 7 in one of the local store and found out that the Nexus 7 didn't support the adobe flash player. That means a lot of graphic applications can't run on the Nexus 7....



Google's decision for Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was to NOT support Adobe's Flash Player on any tablet computer, at least for now but noone knows the future if that will ever change.

bmrbill


quality posts: 135 Private Messages bmrbill

In for one! Finally! Been mulling it over all day. Glad I got in before they were gone...

edgarjauregui


quality posts: 0 Private Messages edgarjauregui

What pushed me to buy this was because this tablet is one of the few tablets that MLB.tv will work on, my htc flyer doesn't