WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Day 5 of the Contest of Countries Competing Competitively. Friday. What's on our mind? A nice stiff drink! That's right: today's category is Best Booze! Vote below for your favorite intoxicator, but first, let's meet the representatives:

Representing the United States is bourbon:

Representing Mexico is tequila:

photo from shrk

Representing France is champagne:

Representing Japan is sake:

Representing Russia is vodka:

Representing Cuba is rum:

Representing Ireland is Irish whiskey:

So, there you have em! Now VOTE and hit SUBMIT! And don't forget about our other open categories: Coolest Fighting Style and Best Punk Band!

All photos used under a Creative Commons License.

davemeigs5

quality posts: 8 Private Messages davemeigs5

What about Scotland. There is nothing like scotch!

tusitala9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tusitala9
davemeigs5 wrote:What about Scotland. There is nothing like scotch!

Agreed! How is Team GB not in the finals? British cuisine may be abominable, but British beverages are world champs, and scotch is top of the heap. So disappointed....

skim32

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skim32

Korean Soju anyone? The number one consumed spirit by volume in the world.

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
skim32 wrote:Korean Soju anyone? The number one consumed spirit by volume in the world.

Bah, that just means they need to make it stronger =P

wadewood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wadewood

Can't beat Bourbon for price to value; lots of very good bourbons under $25. FYI - the picture you selected for Bourbon, Elijah Craig 18 has been discontinued. Elijah Craig 12 is still available. Also, that rum is from Cuba, so good luck finding that in the US.

exdoublexx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages exdoublexx

Voting's over in a couple categories. Where are the results? We need anthems in the podcast.

tefaulkner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tefaulkner

While Eliza Craig 18 year old is an excellent bourbon, it has dried up and unavailable when the current stockpile is completed. While it's an excellent Bourbon, the Bourbon that consistently wins top honors is Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23 y.o.

tefaulkner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tefaulkner

Whiskey is a very personal choice. Bourbon, Rye, Tennessee, Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Rum, Vodka and Tequila are all so different there's simply no way to make a comparison. Even among the same types, the brands vary widely. No way I can get through sampling them all over one weekend! LOL

davep1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davep1

Irish "whiskey" is a pale imitation of real Whisky from Scotland. And bourbon? You can't even malt corn. It might as well be colored moonshine.

I refuse to validate your absurd list with my vote.

ej1wilcox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ej1wilcox

Tequila hands down. There are a lot of different spirits that I love but if I'm going to buy a premium spirit, Tequila is my favorite. I would also include some other agave based spirits like mescal in that group.

My close second would be whiskey (as a category). I love me some good scotch and occasionally a good bourbon.

Vodka, gross really? If you mix it. Not to be served neat though. Same with rum in my opinion.

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

Vodka is an expensive joke on people who don't know what a good drink is. I like David Embury's take from The Fine Art of Mixing Drinks: "It is hard to conceive of any worse cocktail monstrosity than the Vodka Martini."

SticksCalhoun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SticksCalhoun

I'm boycotting these games until Hungary is included for Unicum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwack_liqueur

pattiq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pattiq

No German schnapps!?

Runey00

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Runey00

I agree! Johhnie Walker Black - Best Drink

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

If you are going to mix Spirits and Wine in the poll, why not go all the way and include Beer?

Belgian Ale all the way!

ravynwolf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravynwolf
davep1 wrote:Irish "whiskey" is a pale imitation of real Whisky from Scotland. And bourbon? You can't even malt corn. It might as well be colored moonshine.

I refuse to validate your absurd list with my vote.

I would have to agree!

wdahm519

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdahm519

So, where's the famous:

"Representing France (or Switzerland) is Absinthe"? It was one of the most popular drinks in that part of Europe from 1850's to the ban of Absinthe in 1912 by the US (slightly earlier in European countries).

pepijns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pepijns
Runey00 wrote:I agree! Johhnie Walker Black - Best Drink

Wait what?! You confirm Scotch whisky being the best and then insult Scotch by calling Johnny Walker overpriced wiperfluid black label the best? That doesn't make sense at all....

Do you drink your Scotch on the rocks too you heathen you!?

I suggest you go buy a nice real single malt scotch whisky, taste it and you will never ever let that Johnnie Walker blacklabel bikechain degreaser near your tastebuds again....

jasonebrooks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonebrooks

What about England? I demand a gin option.

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
pepijns wrote:Wait what?! You confirm Scotch whisky being the best and then insult Scotch by calling Johnny Walker overpriced wiperfluid black label the best? That doesn't make sense at all....

Do you drink your Scotch on the rocks too you heathen you!?

I suggest you go buy a nice real single malt scotch whisky, taste it and you will never ever let that Johnnie Walker blacklabel bikechain degreaser near your tastebuds again....

Not the person you are responding to, but.... I enjoy several single malts, but if I am just looking for a scotch that works on any occasion, I will almost always just grab a bottle of Chivas 12yr. Yes, it is blended and it lacks the distinct characteristics that the single malts have, but I've never been disappointed by it either, and I much prefer it to Johnnie Walker Black.

coreyking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coreyking

And Texas wins!

coreyking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coreyking
skim32 wrote:Korean Soju anyone? The number one consumed spirit by volume in the world.

NO!--Soju pool flashback.

Mixed with grape kool-aid is the only way.

munkeeworks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages munkeeworks

They should have drambuie

cindyscrazy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cindyscrazy

Where is the last installment of 50 Greatest American Weirdos?????

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"--from a T-shirt

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cindyscrazyknits?ref=si_shop

duemele

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duemele

Yeah, this list is quite short. Italian Grappa for instance. And everyone wants Mexican Tequila, when you really want Mezcal (Mescal) from Mexico and Tequila from some other Central American country. Or what about Portuguese Fortified Wine or Brandy?

And to kick up some dust, Vodka is Polish (not Russian).

tjsoundguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjsoundguy

Agreed.

No Scotch = illegitimate contest.

My favorite is Laphroaig.

ustinj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ustinj

Scotch drinkers are pretentious. There I said it.

Bourbon all the way! USA! USA! USA!

maxikyd

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maxikyd

Greece: ouzo. Oopah!

danananan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danananan
SticksCalhoun wrote:I'm boycotting these games until Hungary is included for Unicum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwack_liqueur

I was just thinking that woot needs to have a contest for worst booze, and Unicum would be a dead-solid lock. Everywhere we travel in the world, we make a point to drink the local fire-water, and we spent our weekend in Budapest giving penalty drinks of Unicum, and even two years later, it's an initiation rite among my colleagues.

I've drunk some noxious things in my life, but Unicum is an unparalleled level of drinking Hell.

Um, I don't like it.