pinnaclespeakers

quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
benrenfro wrote:Rite,.... so now the speakers are even older, so the really important point you missed was that several other stores sold the same speakers (google the others) for less money. So once again the theme of my post is to point out and lament that Woot has become just another daily deal site that offers uninspired products, unimpressive pricing along with increasingly stale and predictable stories in stark contrast to the extremely creative and quite funny descriptions of very fun, usually interesting products that made the site what it was. I dont say this with anything but a heavy heart because as an early follower of Woot it is not even close to its former self....

Ah, the danger of too much information not sorted, vetted, analyzed in our new “instant data” world. Let’s break down the facts:
-Anyone can “post” any product on any website at any price at any time. Yet, that does NOT mean that the product is a) available, b) as advertised, c) in new condition, d) will carry a manufacturer’s warranty
- The cases cited here are from companies we have had legal interaction for false advertising, improper use of Pinnacle copyrights, bait and switch tactics.
- This is why the companies never actually delivered any Pinnacle product, or had access to Pinnacle product

Further to your comment, Pinnacle products typically take 2-3 years to engineer and perfect. They often endure in the market for as long as 10 years or longer. Unlike cars, TVs and other product categories, high end speaker designs have a long-term ‘shelf life’. Please feel free to verify this fact with your own research.

You don't want to buy a speaker from a company that changes its product line every year or two. That is an indicator that their R&D efforts are too short to create an enduring product.

The SuperSonic is created in 2 finishes: Matte black (less expensive), and a multi-layer, hand applied piano lacquer finish – which is the version offered here and now sold out.

pinnaclespeakers

solonw wrote:I'm a bit under-educated when it comes to speaker buying, but I can't seem to find anywhere that talks about the speaker sensitivity and frequency response rates for the speakers and subwoofers included in the "Pinnacle Speakers 5.1 Channel 700W Audiophile Home Theater System MB9500+" speaker set. Any insight as to what those might be?

Sure thing.

Center Channel:
- Frequency Response: 100 – 20 kHZ (+/- 3 dB)
- Sensitivity: 88 dB @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Front and Rear Channels (Left , Right):
- Frequency Response: 100 – 20 kHZ (+/- 3 dB)
- Sensitivity: 91 dB per pair @ 1 Watt / 0.5 Meter (2.83 Volts Pink Noise)

Powered Subwoofer:
Low End Frequency Response: 33 Hz (-3 dB)

donohuer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages donohuer

Just got the Baby Boomer to compliment the QP9 from the last Pinnacle event. I've been wringing my hands for weeks on buying a sub so of course this deal comes along the day after I came to a conclusion- fortunately my procrastination has paid off

I've emailed Pinnacle twice in the last month or two with questions about their products and in both cases I received a reply from a human (not a generated form TY message) within a few hours. The questions regarding the QP9 actually lead to a lengthy and pleasant phone call with one of Pinnacle's staff.

Now if I could only get my brother to give back my pair of PN2s I had back in college...

jreaney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jreaney
dfunkmaster wrote:Are you implying that Bose speakers are bad or just ok? I can't speak for newer Bose systems but I have an old school 2.1 Bose setup (from the early 90's or so) and they are still extremely solid speakers.

I also had a pair of Bose Reflecting Bookshelf Speakers that were good. I've never really heard anyone say of Bose speakers sounding bad.

So even if these Pinnacle speakers are just "good," seems like there are some deals here. Maybe I would hope the sub woofer for $550.00 to be "really good."

When I Used to work in Home Audio and Car Audio sales we had a couple sayings for Bose... Bose, no highs, no lows. Bose. and also B.O.S.E (Box Of road trip Electronics) IMO Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, and Pinnacle along with numerous other Audio companies are much better than Bose. Bose back in the day might of been great but now they are just a company that you pay extra for just the Bose name.

mikeybabs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeybabs

Has anyone used or know anything about the LCR 250s? I just ordered a pair, on a whim, to hook up to my harmon kardon stereo 120 watts per channel receiver, and want to know if I'll be happy with the purchase... for 75% off it was hard not to order them... thanks everyone

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
pinnaclespeakers wrote:Correct, the low end frequency response is 23 Hz at -3 dB.
Pinnacle uses -3 dB in the low end specification, which is the most conservative rating that manufacturers use.

In either instance, the low end frequency in and of itself is only part of the story. The other part of the story is how loud the product will play in maximum volume at that low end frequency number. That specification is known as Maximum SPL.

But Pinnacle doesn't provide sound pressure level values for the SubSonic (admittedly very few others do either) so it's not something one can compare without a side-by-side audition or detailed professional reviews.

Also, I notice the same 23 kHz (vs 23 Hz) typo in the SuperSonic specs on your web site. Might want to fix that as it looks rather unprofessional.

Anyway, it's kind of a moot point now since the 12" sub is sold out, but for what it's worth I ended up deciding against getting one. I didn't think it would be enough of an upgrade from the HTD Level 3. My reasons for this include the 23 Hz rating versus 22 Hz on the HTD (and HTD uses a -3 db specification). Also, the power consumption numbers on the HTD are much lower, but as mentioned, this is comparing a larger, single driver, tuned ported cabinet with the smaller dual driver sealed cabinet Pinnacle sub, so the RMS and peak ratings aren't directly comparable. The HTD uses a big 3" voice coil and neodymium magnet, and the amplifier is a standalone B&O. It's very good quality stuff, I just sometimes wish they made a "Level 4" sub as I'd like a little more power and depth, but without having to shell out $1500+. I also notice even the upcoming Pinnacle Rhino-Twelve is still rated 23 Hz, and the Rhino-Fifteen (which will have a 21 Hz rating and 127 dB Max SPL) would be sure to completely break the bank.
I wonder how a set of two HTD Level 3 subs might work out.

pinnaclespeakers

mikeybabs wrote:Has anyone used or know anything about the LCR 250s? I just ordered a pair, on a whim, to hook up to my harmon kardon stereo 120 watts per channel receiver, and want to know if I'll be happy with the purchase... for 75% off it was hard not to order them... thanks everyone

Congratulations on your buy! You'll be amazed at the clarity and detail within the S-FIT LCR 250's frequency range of 100Hz and up.

To take it to a completely new level, consider adding a powered subwoofer for all the frequencies below 100 Hz for a great 2.1 channel music system.

CritterB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CritterB

I just moved and lost my in wall front and my in ceiling rear speakers. I still have a klipsch center channel and sub. Would two pairs of the LFR's work well to replace my front and rear speakers? Otherwise I have some old ~5 inch harmon kardan surrounds (HKTS1 set) I can throw on there.

badu1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badu1

I am thinking of purchasing two pairs of the LCRs for front and rear along with the center channel and baby boomer. How will that compare to the MB11500+ speaker deal?

anthonyjai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonyjai

I am in the process of getting a home audio system which I will mainly use for movies and music. So far I bought the Harman Kardon 2600 (65wx7), Klipsch Quintet 5-Piece Speaker System and I am wondering how well the Pinnacle Baby Boomer will go with what I have. The system will be going in my living room which is appro. 15'x20'.

smsabo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smsabo

Are the satellite speakers that come with the MB11500 the S-Fits, Quantums or some other Pinnacle mark? How does the sub on the MB11500 compare to the other subs offered?

pinnaclespeakers

CritterB wrote:I just moved and lost my in wall front and my in ceiling rear speakers. I still have a klipsch center channel and sub. Would two pairs of the LFR's work well to replace my front and rear speakers? Otherwise I have some old ~5 inch harmon kardan surrounds (HKTS1 set) I can throw on there.

Yes, 2 pair of the S-FIT LCR 250 would be an excellent match to the Klipsch center, provided the Klipsch center channel woofers are no larger than 6". You can adjust the individual volume control on your receiver to best integrate the Pinnacle front and rears with the Klipsch product.

pinnaclespeakers

anthonyjai wrote:I am in the process of getting a home audio system which I will mainly use for movies and music. So far I bought the Harman Kardon 2600 (65wx7), Klipsch Quintet 5-Piece Speaker System and I am wondering how well the Pinnacle Baby Boomer will go with what I have. The system will be going in my living room which is appro. 15'x20'.

To start, HK makes a very fine product, and we use one of their receivers as a reference in our engineering laboratory.

The Baby Boomer will be a perfect choice to mate with the Klipsch Quintet and in the room dimensions you specify, we assume ceiling height is no greater than 10'.

We recommend you set the variable crossover on the Baby Boomer somewhere around 75 Hz for best integration between the frequency range of the Klipsch product and the subwoofer. Play around with it a little bit for best sound in their room.

You will have a wonderful movie and music system. Enjoy!

pinnaclespeakers

smsabo wrote:Are the satellite speakers that come with the MB11500 the S-Fits, Quantums or some other Pinnacle mark? How does the sub on the MB11500 compare to the other subs offered?

Black Diamond is the series that the front, center and rear channels are derived from in both the MB 11500+ and the MB 9500+. Black Diamond is our flagship, highest end series...and they are in a beautiful piano lacquer finish.

CritterB

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CritterB

Thanks for your help, the center woofers are smaller than 6" so I'm in for 2 pairs.

pinnaclespeakers wrote:Yes, 2 pair of the S-FIT LCR 250 would be an excellent match to the Klipsch center, provided the Klipsch center channel woofers are no larger than 6". You can adjust the individual volume control on your receiver to best integrate the Pinnacle front and rears with the Klipsch product.

pinnaclespeakers

badu1 wrote:I am thinking of purchasing two pairs of the LCRs for front and rear along with the center channel and baby boomer. How will that compare to the MB11500+ speaker deal?

The MB 11500+ is comprised of product from our flagship Black Diamond Series, which would be a step up.

The subwoofer in the MB 11500+ is a front firing 12" sub and is in a very different design genre than the Baby Boomer. It's sort of like comparing a luxury sedan to a sports car - they're both great for what they're intended to do, but very different.

Having said that, if your system is in a room with very high ceilings, or the overall size of the room is 400 square feet or greater, and if the small footprint benefit of the Baby Boomer is not essential, then the MB 11500+. Particularly if you're going to listen to movies more than music.

Conversely, if you're in a room less than 400sq. ft., need the small footprint and are going to be listening to more music than movies, then consider the LCRs, Center and Baby Boomer.

Either way you can't go wrong.

anthonyjai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anthonyjai
pinnaclespeakers wrote:To start, HK makes a very fine product, and we use one of their receivers as a reference in our engineering laboratory.

The Baby Boomer will be a perfect choice to mate with the Klipsch Quintet and in the room dimensions you specify, we assume ceiling height is no greater than 10'.

We recommend you set the variable crossover on the Baby Boomer somewhere around 75 Hz for best integration between the frequency range of the Klipsch product and the subwoofer. Play around with it a little bit for best sound in their room.

You will have a wonderful movie and music system. Enjoy!

Thanks for the informative input. My ceiling height is 9' so it would be perfect I am assuming.

pinnaclespeakers

anthonyjai wrote:Thanks for the informative input. My ceiling height is 9' so it would be perfect I am assuming.

Yep, that's absolutely fine. Enjoy your new sub!

wootgeist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootgeist

About a year ago I got the MB6000 5.1 setup (similar to the MB9500). Really nice build quality (heavy) and great sound. I have mine coupled with Polk M70s as 7.1 system (Onkyo 608). Both Polk and Pinnacle 1" soft dome tweeters match nicely and the brands blend seamlessly. With the M70s up front, I keep the sub (125W) fairly low but it does its job just fine. Pinnacle puts out great stuff and when it goes on sale it's hard to find a better bang for your buck. And yes, Bose blows

wootgeist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootgeist
pinnaclespeakers wrote:The MB 11500+ is comprised of product from our flagship Black Diamond Series, which would be a step up.

So what is the difference between say the BD 100 and the S-fit 150? I know the finish is different, but the rest of the specs appear similar. Is it a performance threshold that qualifies a driver to be BD quality?

CharlesBurns

quality posts: 8 Private Messages CharlesBurns
craigthom wrote:Surely you can set the bar a little higher than that.

I admit, that's like claiming that a sports car is "faster than a dead slug stuck in frozen molasses."

CharlesBurns

quality posts: 8 Private Messages CharlesBurns
dfunkmaster wrote:Are you implying that Bose speakers are bad or just ok? I can't speak for newer Bose systems but I have an old school 2.1 Bose setup (from the early 90's or so) and they are still extremely solid speakers.

I also had a pair of Bose Reflecting Bookshelf Speakers that were good. I've never really heard anyone say of Bose speakers sounding bad.

So even if these Pinnacle speakers are just "good," seems like there are some deals here. Maybe I would hope the sub woofer for $550.00 to be "really good."

Perhaps decades ago, Bose speakers were great. I don't know. Now, however, Bose speakers are made with flimsy, cheap Chinese cones, cheap foam that is known to begin cracking after a few years, and poor quality chassis construction that fails to mitigate what little booming their weak magnets can muster.

There's a lot of brand preference and opinion in the speaker world, I know, but ask yourself this:

Q: Have you ever seen a setup at a speaker shop that would let you A/B (directly compare) Bose to any other brand?
A: No. Bose explicitly disallows it.

Q: Have you ever traced the speaker cable in a "high-end" Bose demo to the amplifier?

A: Probably not. Many (not all) high-end shop demos have Bose speakers connected to a Bose-provided Krell Reference amplifier to make them sound as good as possible. Misleading at best. (Krell, by the way, is a high-end super-expensive audio gear maker).

benrenfro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benrenfro

Information is the enemy.....sounds like a campaign slogan...digressing... my post intended no malice toward pinnacle products, quite the contrary I never would have researched "used extremely lightly of course" if I did not like the products. I have had great speakers from you in the past. That said my post was more a lament of changes I see in woot, kinda like the ole "In my day we used to Woot using a 14.4 dial up modem and so the woot offs were like cricket matches.......uphill, both ways in the snow of course!" . THanks for the analysis though.

pinnaclespeakers wrote:Ah, the danger of too much information not sorted, vetted, analyzed in our new “instant data” world. Let’s break down the facts:
-Anyone can “post” any product on any website at any price at any time. Yet, that does NOT mean that the product is a) available, b) as advertised, c) in new condition, d) will carry a manufacturer’s warranty
- The cases cited here are from companies we have had legal interaction for false advertising, improper use of Pinnacle copyrights, bait and switch tactics.
- This is why the companies never actually delivered any Pinnacle product, or had access to Pinnacle product

Further to your comment, Pinnacle products typically take 2-3 years to engineer and perfect. They often endure in the market for as long as 10 years or longer. Unlike cars, TVs and other product categories, high end speaker designs have a long-term ‘shelf life’. Please feel free to verify this fact with your own research.

You don't want to buy a speaker from a company that changes its product line every year or two. That is an indicator that their R&D efforts are too short to create an enduring product.

The SuperSonic is created in 2 finishes: Matte black (less expensive), and a multi-layer, hand applied piano lacquer finish – which is the version offered here and now sold out.

Capn' Curious

benrenfro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benrenfro

Because of all the brilliant and pithy comments one receives when posting of course. I mean where else can one be confronted with such thought provoking responses to complaints.......Some climb mountains, others swim with sharks.....but I set myself up for well thought out and reasoned attacks on Woot. Im a thrill seeker I guess.

cricky101 wrote:So why keep coming back?

Capn' Curious

mthoodrue

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mthoodrue

So, honest to god.. I have a 5.1 Pinnacle setup. As a "generic" consumer, without a vast index of audio system knowledge, said system was purchased.

Please allow me to state at how crisp and clear the sound quality on all of the speakers is. Its like hearing the wind atop a mountain side, rushing past without obstruction, no trees to slow its procession.

The bookshelf speakers are insane, and the center channel compliments them in every way. As for the sub, at the time the only thing on the site was the SubSonic model. It is a dual 6.5" setup that packs a punch! If I were able to get the larger one at the time, it would have been the purchase. If this little one is any indication at the quality and power of the large sub... my word man! 1.21 jiggawatts?!?!

cynvision

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cynvision

I'm making sad faces now. I didn't come by sooner to see the affordable center channel. I guess my ancient Bose Roommate will have to stay hooked to the surround system a bit longer.

I can only say I've hung on to my Bose for twenty-five years. Cats have scratched them, cola has spilled on them, they're packable and two plugs and I got something like music playing. Maybe the "problem" Bose finally "corrected" was making them too well back in the 80's. I haven't been a customer of theirs in 25 years...

Sportzcoop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sportzcoop
pinnaclespeakers wrote:Hello Everyone!

I'm Arin with Pinnacle's customer service and support team. I report directly to one of the "brother-owners" of Pinnacle Speakers, Mickey Rothenberg. I've been with Pinnacle 7 of their 36 years and can assist with any questions.

I've been looking into adding a home theater setup in my great room but research keeps telling me my room makes it difficult. I have an open floor plan with the great room dimensions being approx 20'x25' and 12 foot cathedral ceiling. Did I mention the great)room connects (open floor plan" to my kitchen as well? Would the MB11500+ be enough? I've had a few suggestions of putting in a 7.1 setup but I don't think it will work with my furniture layout. Any advice is appreciated.

gosh7001

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001

I am with the last person that posted. I am seriously looking at the LCR 250s for my fronts and rears but I have a very open floor plan - 20' x 19' with 22' foot ceilings only in the great room. The speakers face the kitchen area where those ceilings are only 11'. I have this in the wall already for my sub. http://www.speakercraft.com/products/subwoofers/cinema-sub?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_sc.tpl&product_id=16&category_id=4. What would be your suggestion? Would these work or should I look at the something else? Does any other wooter have any suggestions? Also, recommendations for receiver would also be appreciated - multizone and 2 hdmi outputs for synchronous viewing to two separate tvs.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

Why does the MB11500+ come with what appears to be an under-powered sub compared to other subs you sell, yet the rest of the set is of seemingly higher quality?

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

I'm probably not the only one who 'collects' too much.

I saw Polk 50 speakers on a good deal and got them, then Polk 60 series on a good deal and got those for 5.1, and then Polk 70 on a good deal and got them thinking I could go 7.1 or just use the 70's and 60's and not use the 50's or who knows what.

And none of them are used yet.

So naturally I see this and ask, 'should I get this instead'.

Well, I better say no, but it's a tempting question.

I bet they're quite nice. I wonder how these $99 speakers would compare to any of the Polks above...

Oh, and I got 5.1 'Mirage Nanosat' brand speakers here on Woot that got rave reivews to use as PC gaming speakers... ya, still in the box... wonder how these 5.1's compare.

rudrspal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rudrspal
benrenfro wrote:There are several, had to google again and picked the first that came up
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=SUPERSONIC

That link is not actually a current sale!

HokiePokie757

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HokiePokie757

I was kicking myself the first time I saw the woot pinnacle speakers sale when I missed out on getting that center channel speaker. Glad I caught this one. I own a set of Pinnacles (MB8000). It comes with the Subcompact 8, which packs a surprising punch in my 20 x 15, 22 ft ceiling living room. The sound is great and makes for a fantastic movie/tv experience. That said, I decided to jump on the 350 to replace the 250 LCR in my system and the Baby Boomer to replace the Subcompact. Now I just have to wait on the Monitor50s to ship to finally complete my 7.1 Denon 1912 setup. I CAN'T WAIT!!

jreaney

gosh7001 wrote:I am with the last person that posted. I am seriously looking at the LCR 250s for my fronts and rears but I have a very open floor plan - 20' x 19' with 22' foot ceilings only in the great room. The speakers face the kitchen area where those ceilings are only 11'. I have this in the wall already for my sub. http://www.speakercraft.com/products/subwoofers/cinema-sub?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_sc.tpl&product_id=16&category_id=4. What would be your suggestion? Would these work or should I look at the something else? Does any other wooter have any suggestions? Also, recommendations for receiver would also be appreciated - multizone and 2 hdmi outputs for synchronous viewing to two separate tvs.

I have my Home Theater setup in my basement with roughly a 25'x60' room with 20' high cielings. I current use a higher end Boston Acoustics speakers for left right and center which appear to about same specs wise as the LCR 250s and then in cielings speakers for surround which also have similar specs for the LCRs. It works amazingly. Never been able to turn it up all the way... I will go to about IMax movie theater level of volume. It seems like it could go louder.

As for receiver i'm using a Denon 988 which is an older model (from like 2009), but an amazing receiever nonetheless. One of those would have all the features you want could be had for significantly less than newer ones.
EDIT: The Denon 988 only has one HDMI output. But pretty much any Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo system that meets your requirements would make a great receiever

Sportzcoop

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sportzcoop
vaaccess wrote:Why does the MB11500+ come with what appears to be an under-powered sub compared to other subs you sell, yet the rest of the set is of seemingly higher quality?

I think you may only be looking at Wattage not the fact that this is a 12" Front Firing sub that packs a punch.

Here's a few links to reviews that I found.

http://www.meijer.com/s/pinnacle-pssub225-225w-front-firing-powered-subwoofer/_/R-167939#ReviewHeader

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-reviews/57368-pinnacle-ps225-subwoofer-review.html

pinnaclespeakers

Sportzcoop wrote:I've been looking into adding a home theater setup in my great room but research keeps telling me my room makes it difficult. I have an open floor plan with the great room dimensions being approx 20'x25' and 12 foot cathedral ceiling. Did I mention the great)room connects (open floor plan" to my kitchen as well? Would the MB11500+ be enough? I've had a few suggestions of putting in a 7.1 setup but I don't think it will work with my furniture layout. Any advice is appreciated.

This question comes up fairly regularly as the layout you describe is increasingly popular, particularly in newer homes. Our assessment is as follows:

In these instances, the objective is to fill up the LISTENING AREA and not necessarily to be able to fill up the entire square footage of the great room and adjoining rooms with the music and movies you wish to enjoy.

So, the real issue is the approximate size of the listening area itself. Assuming that the TV is within 15 feet of the sitting areas, the MB 11500+ is actually a perfect fit – specifically because we’re using a 12” woofer to accommodate a larger overall area.

If you’re not in the direct area of the speakers, by definition, it’s all background listening. The focused listening area is what matters and based on wanting an excellent experience within the listening area, the 5.1 format will be fine. We don’t believe adding 7.1 does anything to enhance the listening area in this case.

I hope this has addressed your questions.

pinnaclespeakers

vaaccess wrote:Why does the MB11500+ come with what appears to be an under-powered sub compared to other subs you sell, yet the rest of the set is of seemingly higher quality?

We’ve touched on this somewhat in prior posts regarding the misconception that watts = performance, and that we offer many different types of subwoofers with different design methodologies. The different design approaches require a variety of driver sizes and amplifier powers.

To specifically address your question, the subwoofer in the MB 11500+ is a vented designed (aka ported, bass reflex). That means that the air moved by the excursion of the woofer cone can freely escape the cabinet through the vent. This specific design approach does not require higher powered amplifiers, as the internal pressure is minimal when the air can escape the box.

In simpler terms, the 12” subwoofer in the MB 11500+ produces a high SPL, or maximum volume, and is excellent in larger format rooms such as great rooms because the design approach specifically requires a slightly larger cabinet.

So, the high powered, small footprint subwoofers we make are acoustic suspension (sealed cabinets) and require much higher powered amplifiers to derive strong bass from small footprint, sealed cabinets.

In essence, great bass in little tiny cabinets costs more money and takes more engineering to achieve. The 12” woofer in the MB 11500+ is an excellent performer, has very efficient use of power, and requires a somewhat larger cabinet, and is therefore a perfect choice for larger format rooms.

pinnaclespeakers

wootgeist wrote:So what is the difference between say the BD 100 and the S-fit 150? I know the finish is different, but the rest of the specs appear similar. Is it a performance threshold that qualifies a driver to be BD quality?

The Black Diamond Series is our premium, flagship product. There are a variety of factors and thresholds that have to be met to be part of the Black Diamond Series. It is true that that all Black Diamond products use a lavish, beautiful and very costly piano finish. Aesthetics as well as acoustics are important in higher end speaker design.

As you move up the line in the Black Diamond Series into full range speakers (capable of producing bass in the 40 Hz range and below) we incorporate higher caliber woofers and midranges, die cast phase plugs, long throw excursion butyl rubber surrounds, larger size magnets and voice coils, high temperature thresholds in the woofer voice coils and many other refinements.

The BD 100 and BD 200 are specifically designed as satellite speakers and/or LCRs within the Black Diamond Series and are designed to work as either rear channel for Black Diamond Series fronts, or to be used in conjunction with a powered subwoofer.

Therefore, the higher cost product within the Black Diamond Series we consider full range designs with additional levels of refinement and upgrades, not all of which are necessary for the satellite products within that series.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
pinnaclespeakers wrote:We’ve touched on this somewhat in prior posts regarding the misconception that watts = performance, and that we offer many different types of subwoofers with different design methodologies. The different design approaches require a variety of driver sizes and amplifier powers.

To specifically address your question, the subwoofer in the MB 11500+ is a vented designed (aka ported, bass reflex). That means that the air moved by the excursion of the woofer cone can freely escape the cabinet through the vent. This specific design approach does not require higher powered amplifiers, as the internal pressure is minimal when the air can escape the box.

In simpler terms, the 12” subwoofer in the MB 11500+ produces a high SPL, or maximum volume, and is excellent in larger format rooms such as great rooms because the design approach specifically requires a slightly larger cabinet.

So, the high powered, small footprint subwoofers we make are acoustic suspension (sealed cabinets) and require much higher powered amplifiers to derive strong bass from small footprint, sealed cabinets.

In essence, great bass in little tiny cabinets costs more money and takes more engineering to achieve. The 12” woofer in the MB 11500+ is an excellent performer, has very efficient use of power, and requires a somewhat larger cabinet, and is therefore a perfect choice for larger format rooms.

Thanks for your detailed response. I ordered it!

I know the speakers have keyhole hooks to hang them, but can you provide any insight into good ways you've seen customers hang them? Are there any accessories to help with that that we should consider?

Thanks!
Mike

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

Ben113311

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ben113311

Alright so I'm new to all this stuff. I have been using the same Pioneer SX-218 for ages.

My question now is how would I pair the 9500+ with a receiver? Would the Pioneer SX-218 work for the time being? What specs do I need to check?

jreaney

Ben113311 wrote:Alright so I'm new to all this stuff. I have been using the same Pioneer SX-218 for ages.

My question now is how would I pair the 9500+ with a receiver? Would the Pioneer SX-218 work for the time being? What specs do I need to check?

As long as your Pioneer SX-218 is a 5.1 Receiver (left, center, right, left surround, right surround and subwoofer) It should work. But more in depth you're gonna wanna make sure the reciever is sending the signal at 8 ohms. Another thing to look at would be RMS power of your reciever and then the speakers... Generally speaking it is better to have a higher rms rating on the receiver than the speakers. That'll allow you to play at higher levels volume without distortion.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong as i have some knowledge of home audio but most of my knowledge is in car audio.