danger1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages danger1

Can you give me the demensions and weight of the speakers in the MB11500+ system....Thanks

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
danger1 wrote:Can you give me the demensions and weight of the speakers in the MB11500+ system....Thanks



Center Channel: 11.75" W x 4.8" H x 6.9" D (with Grille, when laying horizontally); 7 lbs. each

Front Left and Right Channels: 4.8” W x 11.75" H x 6.9" D (with Grille, when sitting vertically); 7 lbs. each x 2

Rear Left and Right Channels: 4.8" W x 7.56" H x 6.75" D (with Grille); 4 lbs. each x 2

Powered Subwoofer: 14.25" W x 15" H x 15.75" D (with Amp & Grille); 36 lbs.

lcwhips


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lcwhips

Would you please provide details on mounting brackets that the kit comes with? A picture would really help. I am looking for a system that will be mounted to my walls, so it is very important. Thank you!

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
lcwhips wrote:Would you please provide details on mounting brackets that the kit comes with? A picture would really help. I am looking for a system that will be mounted to my walls, so it is very important. Thank you!




The rear view of the product pictures on Woot show the mounting brackets fairly well. The brackets are already affixed to the speakers and they allow you to mount the product flush to the wall, either vertically or horizontally. Additionally, the products include a threaded ¼-20 insert that would accommodate an aftermarket bracket of your choosing.

jamespmaguire


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamespmaguire
pinnaclespeakers wrote:
So, the real issue is the approximate size of the listening area itself. Assuming that the TV is within 15 feet of the sitting areas, the MB 11500+ is actually a perfect fit – specifically because we’re using a 12” woofer to accommodate a larger overall area.



I am interested in the MB 9500+. What is the recommended size of the listening area for that package?

warlock983


quality posts: 1 Private Messages warlock983

Hi!
I'm considering picking up the babyboomer or the subcompact sub. Is there any reason to pick up one over the other? I'm planning to pair it with my bookshelf Energy's (or the LCR's I picked up in a WootOff a while back) and it will only be for listening to music. Thanks for the advice!

danger1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages danger1

can those 7lb left and right front speakers on the MB11500+ system be hung from the ceiling or are they to heavy....Thanks

Sportzcoop


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Sportzcoop
pinnaclespeakers wrote:This question comes up fairly regularly as the layout you describe is increasingly popular, particularly in newer homes. Our assessment is as follows:

In these instances, the objective is to fill up the LISTENING AREA and not necessarily to be able to fill up the entire square footage of the great room and adjoining rooms with the music and movies you wish to enjoy.

So, the real issue is the approximate size of the listening area itself. Assuming that the TV is within 15 feet of the sitting areas, the MB 11500+ is actually a perfect fit – specifically because we’re using a 12” woofer to accommodate a larger overall area.

If you’re not in the direct area of the speakers, by definition, it’s all background listening. The focused listening area is what matters and based on wanting an excellent experience within the listening area, the 5.1 format will be fine. We don’t believe adding 7.1 does anything to enhance the listening area in this case.

I hope this has addressed your questions.



Thank you. I went ahead and made the purchase. Now it's time to shop for a receiver.

Anyone have suggestions for an affordable receiver that still has some bells and whistles? I'm not in a rush so if you know of any that are known to go on special I can wait it out.

mthoodrue


quality posts: 4 Private Messages mthoodrue
danger1 wrote:can those 7lb left and right front speakers on the MB11500+ system be hung from the ceiling or are they to heavy....Thanks



Currently have mine hanging on the walls with no problems whatsoever.

lwang


quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
pinnaclespeakers wrote:The amplifier in the Baby Boomer is 300 Watts RMS, driving a single woofer. However, when it is driving dual woofers dropping the impedance the wattage it is therefore doubled.

This product, no product, should be judged by wattage specifications. There is great misunderstanding that somehow the wattage specifications in any way parallel a speaker performance. That is simply totally untrue.

This particular design has 2 heavy duty 8" drivers in a sealed cabinet (sealed meaning no air can escape), known as acoustic suspension design. In layman’s terms it’s non-ported. Since no air can escape from the cabinet during the movement of the woofers, it creates tremendous pressure inside the cabinet. That internal pressure can only be overcome by driving the woofers with a very high powered amplifier. That is why these designs produce exceptionally deep and powerful bass, yet in tiny footprint cabinets.
Pinnacle does its best to educate and re-educate. But the common misperception that high watts = high performance, though quite true in this instance, should never be used as a barometer.



shouldn't driving 2 woofers quadruple its power output to 1200w RMS?

Also, is the baby boomer a push-pull design (drivers hooked out of phase) or just both pushing out? Are they paried in opposite directions with the 2 woofers braced by a steel rod or something to counteract the force?

To produce deep bass, is it equalized to go low, but given it has been EQ'd, there is not much headroom at the low bass? Or does the design naturally roll off at 23hz?

BTW, Bose never made good speakers, even in the 80's or 70's. Their original claim to fame were just a whole bunch of midrange drivers pointing mostly backward, to fool you into thinking the sound is spacious along with your inability to localize the speakers (or the instruments in the music). Whoever regarded them highly only had them play background music.

drac77


quality posts: 1 Private Messages drac77
benrenfro wrote:If you haven't hear complaints about the sound of Bose speakers built after the 80s then you really do need to google for a sec. I am not saying I agree or not but Bose is not thought of very highly by those that call themselves audiophiles.



and that right there is the keyword: those that "call" themselves audiophiles. In my own opinion every single product of theirs that I have owned is rock solid and I started in the early 90's. I can't begin to describe how sick I am of armchair "audiophiles" bashing a company that makes a great product that not only sounds good but last forever and if it happens to break or not work properly take it to the store and walk out with a new one. I can say that because I worked for them for two years part time. Until someone that has a 20,000$ tube amplifier and the rest of their system adds up to the price of a german car gives me their opinion I laugh at the rest. They act like their ears are lab equipped...

lwang


quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
drac77 wrote:and that right there is the keyword: those that "call" themselves audiophiles. In my own opinion every single product of theirs that I have owned is rock solid and I started in the early 90's. I can't begin to describe how sick I am of armchair "audiophiles" bashing a company that makes a great product that not only sounds good but last forever and if it happens to break or not work properly take it to the store and walk out with a new one. I can say that because I worked for them for two years part time. Until someone that has a 20,000$ tube amplifier and the rest of their system adds up to the price of a german car gives me their opinion I laugh at the rest. They act like their ears are lab equipped...


I got Krell 2ch class-A amp (real class-A, not sliding bias, it consumes 1000w just sitting there), McCormack 3ch amp, Maggie 3.6R pure ribbon for L/C/R speakers, maggie QR for the rest of 7.1, Meridian 7.1 pre-pro, Audible Illusion tube preamp, 3 cylindrical subs driven by amp made by Crown. Blowse's #01 series tries to convey a sense of space by shooting the sound rearward, but at the expense of having absolutely no imaging. Plus it was all midrange drivers thus no highs and no lows. Their later AM stuff had tiny satellites that used vented midrange drivers, which is insane to do because creating phase shift and time delay in a sensitive part of the audio spectrum is insane. And all that sound destruction trickery was not able to let it go below 250hz, thus it crosses over the their 'sub'woofer at that freq, causing extreme shift in the imaging of the sound toward the location of the 'sub'woofer. Listening to it in their Blowse HT demo and hearing the imaging shift made it sound like a joke. People saying how great it sounded are even a bigger joke.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
jamespmaguire wrote:I am interested in the MB 9500+. What is the recommended size of the listening area for that package?



400 square feet or less is fine. If a larger actual listening area or cathedral type ceilings in excess of 12 feet or so, the larger woofer and larger fron channels in the MB 11500+ would be recommended. A bonus in either system is high quality Monster Cable included.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
mthoodrue wrote:Currently have mine hanging on the walls with no problems whatsoever.




For ceiling mounting we recommend using the 1/4 20 threaded insert that is in the back of the front speakers. It allows you to use an after market mount typically including a "BALL" that allows angling of the speakers. We propose mount them horizontally on the wall (into a stud) with an after market ball joint bracket. There are many, such as Omni-Mount brand or Chief, and they are quite good for this purpose. Weight is not an issue if the bracket is rated accordingly. These companies make brackets to hang multi hundred pound TV's. The speakers are easy.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
lwang wrote:shouldn't driving 2 woofers quadruple its power output to 1200w RMS?

Also, is the baby boomer a push-pull design (drivers hooked out of phase) or just both pushing out? Are they paried in opposite directions with the 2 woofers braced by a steel rod or something to counteract the force?

To produce deep bass, is it equalized to go low, but given it has been EQ'd, there is not much headroom at the low bass? Or does the design naturally roll off at 23hz?

BTW, Bose never made good speakers, even in the 80's or 70's. Their original claim to fame were just a whole bunch of midrange drivers pointing mostly backward, to fool you into thinking the sound is spacious along with your inability to localize the speakers (or the instruments in the music). Whoever regarded them highly only had them play background music.




Good technical questions. One of our design engineers is best to get to the answers of all your inquiries. However, I can handle most of them. When using 2 drivers in parallel the impedence drops in half and doubles the power. The dual woofers in the Baby Boomer are arranged in a Bi-Pole manner as opposed to PUSH/PULL. We use PUSH/PULL in the SUperSonic. The Bi-Pole has one active driver on each side of the box. Internally, they are partitioned so they will not interfere with each other. We designed our own customized terroidal transformer that is as flat as a pancake ( a nice healthy pancake) to squeeze into this very tiny internal area. The woofers back to back are within 1" of each other, and it was quite a trick to design them this way and not interfere with one another. The bi-pole configuration often sounds best when the subwoofer is placed in a corner or against a wall. You are quite knowledgeable and obviously have been around quality audio for some time. Thank you for your questions,....oh yes, roll off..........The Baby Boomer has both a fixed or variable crosover depending on whetehr you are using line level in from the receiver/amplifier, or hooking speakers directly to the sub (not typical. The fixed crossover point is 75 Hz and rolls off from there. The variable crossover is from 50 Hz-100 Hz. And finally, the woofers are both doing the same thing at the same time, and we include a phase adjust switch if you prefer to place the 2 drivers out of phase.

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
warlock983 wrote:Hi!
I'm considering picking up the babyboomer or the subcompact sub. Is there any reason to pick up one over the other? I'm planning to pair it with my bookshelf Energy's (or the LCR's I picked up in a WootOff a while back) and it will only be for listening to music. Thanks for the advice!



The Baby Boomer produces louder volume of bass and deeper levels of bass. It uses 2 of the woofers used in the SubCompact 8. Having said that, the Subcompact 8 is an outstanding performer in it's own right. If you are putting the subwoofer into a wall unit or cabinet, you should go with the Subcompact 8 cause it is front firing. If the woofer placement is in the room, grab the Baby Boomer.

donohuer


quality posts: 2 Private Messages donohuer
woot bot wrote:Hey donohuer,

Remember your order of one Pinnacle Speakers Baby Boomer 600W Dual 8" Subwoofer (New) from Woot on Tuesday, August 07, 2012?

We did, and that order is now on its way.

You can follow the shipment, see your receipt, and check other details of your purchase at the order detail page. You can do the same for all of your orders from across the Wootosphere at your Stuff You Bought page.

Thanks again for throwing some cash our way. Don't be a stranger -

Woot





pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
Ben113311 wrote:Alright so I'm new to all this stuff. I have been using the same Pioneer SX-218 for ages.

My question now is how would I pair the 9500+ with a receiver? Would the Pioneer SX-218 work for the time being? What specs do I need to check?





The primary consideration is you must have a 5.1 or 7.1 channel receiver. The old receivers were built for stereo music listening with speakers set A or Set B. So, check to see if the Pioneer is a Home theater 5.1 or 7.1 model. If it is not, the time has come to update the receiver. Our MB 9500+ and 11500+ are designed to work well with all affordablly priced and popular brands. They also come with high quality 14 gauge Monster cable. As to WATTS on a receiver, Our MB 9500+ and MB 11500+ do not need significant power to drive. However, more Watts and lower distrotion ratings on any receiver is always best. So, as a very general guideline 50 Watts per channel at THD (total Harmonic Distortion) levels below .05 is good. When buying a new receiver please check BOTH the wattage # and the THD #. If the THD # is above 1% it means the wattage # is "basically inflated" You always want the lowest distortion ratings along with the wattage. BOTH stats are joined at the hip.............most of the popular mainstream brands we see meet the above criteria and typically spec the amplifier sections at an assortment of watts and THD #'s. Go to the lowest THD # and then check the watts. Enjoy your new system.

gosh7001


quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001

I am about to pull the trigger on the 11500. I do not need the Subwoofer though. Is there a chance I could buy the set without the Subwoofer?

pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
gosh7001 wrote:I am about to pull the trigger on the 11500. I do not need the Subwoofer though. Is there a chance I could buy the set without the Subwoofer?



The product comes as a complete system, yet every item in the carton is individually packaged. At this package price, we think you can sell the subwoofer separately and get back much of your money for the total system cost.

gosh7001


quality posts: 5 Private Messages gosh7001

I am now the proud owner of the 11500 and I might just use the sub to complete my 7.2 setup which brings me to my next question. I have the Klipsch rsw10 - http://www.klipsch.com/rsw-10-subwoofer - and the bass is very tight. My thinking is that the 12" will supplement the low end of the spectrum. Is that a correct assumption? What are your thoughts?

pinnaclespeakers wrote:The product comes as a complete system, yet every item in the carton is individually packaged. At this package price, we think you can sell the subwoofer separately and get back much of your money for the total system cost.



pinnaclespeakers


quality posts: 88 Private Messages pinnaclespeakers
gosh7001 wrote:I am now the proud owner of the 11500 and I might just use the sub to complete my 7.2 setup which brings me to my next question. I have the Klipsch rsw10 - http://www.klipsch.com/rsw-10-subwoofer - and the bass is very tight. My thinking is that the 12" will supplement the low end of the spectrum. Is that a correct assumption? What are your thoughts?




Congratulations. Actually, the real answer to your question is it all depends. We do not know for sure. We cannot readily compare our products to others just based on published specs. Subwoofers performance depends a lot on the room itself and where you place them in the room. So, chances are the overall volume of our subwoofer is louder, but as to overall depth of bass, we cannot be sure ourselves. We would have to be in the room itself to know. So, we would suggest if there is a volume difference place the louder sub farther away from your seat, and the deeper one (if audibly deeper) closer to the seat. We always think 2 subs are better than 1.

lwang


quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
pinnaclespeakers wrote:....oh yes, roll off..........The Baby Boomer has both a fixed or variable crosover depending on whetehr you are using line level in from the receiver/amplifier, or hooking speakers directly to the sub (not typical. The fixed crossover point is 75 Hz and rolls off from there. The variable crossover is from 50 Hz-100 Hz. And finally, the woofers are both doing the same thing at the same time, and we include a phase adjust switch if you prefer to place the 2 drivers out of phase.



I meant the low freq rolloff. Is it naturally rolled off, reaching -3dB at 23hz or is it equalized to reach that level? If it is EQ'd, then the headroom would be extremely limited at that freq range.

schnob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages schnob

Right; it's counter-intuitive but larger cabinet subs don't need anywhere near the wattage of small cabinet subs to generate adequate output.

[quote postid="5115788" user="Sportzcoop"]I think you may only be looking at Wattage not the fact that this is a 12" Front Firing sub that packs a punch.