WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Generation Tech

You can't take Ol' Faithful with you to college. So what do you need? Has to play video games, has to be portable, has to let you download the latest episodes of Adventure Time? Oh, yeah, and you need a little room for your schoolwork. Don't you worry. We got all that… and more. And by more, we mean monitors. Check 'em out.

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Buying a computer for a college-bound student is a big investment. What are you looking for?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

triblehelix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages triblehelix

which one would you guys say is the best value for general purpose use?

Hirshy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hirshy
triblehelix wrote:which one would you guys say is the best value for general purpose use?

I would say the HP with the intel i7 processor is a great deal. 6gb memory with a 750gb hd and 2 usb 3.0 / 2.0. One downside I see is no bluetooth D:

ghost650

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ghost650
triblehelix wrote:which one would you guys say is the best value for general purpose use?

Hard to say... they're all gigantic. None of which would be particularly easy to throw into a backpack and take places.

So unless this thing will spend 90% of the time sitting on a desk, i would skip these.

triblehelix

Hirshy wrote:I would say the HP with the intel i7 processor is a great deal. 6gb memory with a 750gb hd and 2 usb 3.0 / 2.0. One downside I see is no bluetooth D:

thanks. bluetooth not a deal killer. its actually a replacement laptop for a friend. he might prefer the lower cost options. which of the ones in the $400 range do you like?

Hirshy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hirshy
triblehelix wrote:thanks. bluetooth not a deal killer. its actually a replacement laptop for a friend. he might prefer the lower cost options. which of the ones in the $400 range do you like?

The toshiba's with the i3 processors are decent. But take a look at this before you decide to seal the deal:

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/best-brands-overall-scorecard-2012.aspx

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/toshiba-brand-rating-2012.aspx

I've never owned a Toshiba so I can't really comment...

triblehelix

Hirshy wrote:The toshiba's with the i3 processors are decent. But take a look at this before you decide to seal the deal:

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/best-brands-overall-scorecard-2012.aspx

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/toshiba-brand-rating-2012.aspx

I've never owned a Toshiba so I can't really comment...

hp ranks 3rd in that list. are the tosh specs much better?

ghost650 wrote:Hard to say... they're all gigantic. None of which would be particularly easy to throw into a backpack and take places.

So unless this thing will spend 90% of the time sitting on a desk, i would skip these.

yeah, the big screen is a plus for him.

baldar798

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baldar798

I'm looking into getting a gaming laptop does anyone know how capable any of these would run newer games with no issue???

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

I used one on these monster screen laptops (Toshiba 17.3) for quite awhile and came to love the screen size. I got quite used to carrying it around and find that my current one (15.4) just seems small now. A backpack designed for a large laptop does a good job of distributing the weight with plenty of room for other school or work essentials.

A desktop computer can be eliminated in many circumstances with one of these.

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

Toshiba's are crap, in my experience. If you want one of these, buy the HP.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
baldar798 wrote:I'm looking into getting a gaming laptop does anyone know how capable any of these would run newer games with no issue???

Ditto! Where can I get one that will play the newest Skyrim. I mean, If I completely forget to load anything else on it.

ruxia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruxia
Moueska wrote:Ditto! Where can I get one that will play the newest Skyrim. I mean, If I completely forget to load anything else on it.

None of these laptops are designed for gaming. I bet they could only play games that were developed until 2008. If you really want a gaming laptop then go look for MSI/Asus brands. Shouldn't be hard to find them in online retailers, just pick one that suits your budget.

chalion

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chalion
ruxia wrote:None of these laptops are designed for gaming. I bet they could only play games that were developed until 2008. If you really want a gaming laptop then go look for MSI/Asus brands. Shouldn't be hard to find them in online retailers, just pick one that suits your budget.

+1 to this. Most newer games require a 2.3 ghz or better dual core CPU to run at medium settings. 4 core can actually process more information, faster, but the ghz is what game designers look for these days. If you were going to be doing video or photo editing, then 4 cores and 6 to 8 megs of ram would work fine, but for gaming, these are a no go, especially since the video on these laptops is processed thru the motherboard, greatly limiting how fast the graphics is processed.

Recommended signature image size is 5k.

yrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yrx

Would this be good for rendering xbox game play from a hdpvr? Also would this play Minecraft?

bardwaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bardwaj

I want this laptop for my study. how do I get it?

thank you.

ThunderThighs

Staff

bardwaj wrote:I want this laptop for my study. how do I get it?

thank you.

I see that you are outside the US. I'm sorry but only shirt.woot ships outside the US.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yrx

Is this a factory refurbished or just going to be a big gamble?

igorthrus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages igorthrus
chalion wrote:+1 to this. Most newer games require a 2.3 ghz or better dual core CPU to run at medium settings. 4 core can actually process more information, faster, but the ghz is what game designers look for these days. If you were going to be doing video or photo editing, then 4 cores and 6 to 8 megs of ram would work fine, but for gaming, these are a no go, especially since the video on these laptops is processed thru the motherboard, greatly limiting how fast the graphics is processed.

most of this info is false, you seem somewhat misinformed.

these are not "gaming" laptops and you would be better off getting a sager for example, but they will run something like skyrim on pretty high settings. basically it would work for all games now, but towards the end of 4 years from now it might have a bit of trouble with the newest games.

most modern games support 4 cores and ghz is not what matters - more cores clocked lower would be better than less cores clocked higher. 6-8 gigs (and its gigs not megs) of ram works just fine - more is obviously better and more future proof.

and the graphics are not from the motherboard....
the hp has a Radeon HD 6520G which isnt the best card right now, but it easily beats my high end card from 3 years ago and i play all games with pretty high settings (usually the only thing i cant turn up is anti aliasing past 2x)

yrx

Thank you for your knowledge!! When will this ship?

ThunderThighs

Staff

yrx wrote:Thank you for your knowledge!! When will this ship?

Plus orders generally will process and ship out within 5 business days of your order, sometimes faster. Then allow for shipping time.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
igorthrus wrote:most of this info is false, you seem somewhat misinformed.

these are not "gaming" laptops and you would be better off getting a sager for example, but they will run something like skyrim on pretty high settings. basically it would work for all games now, but towards the end of 4 years from now it might have a bit of trouble with the newest games.

most modern games support 4 cores and ghz is not what matters - more cores clocked lower would be better than less cores clocked higher. 6-8 gigs (and its gigs not megs) of ram works just fine - more is obviously better and more future proof.

and the graphics are not from the motherboard....
the hp has a Radeon HD 6520G which isnt the best card right now, but it easily beats my high end card from 3 years ago and i play all games with pretty high settings (usually the only thing i cant turn up is anti aliasing past 2x)

... :D

Okay, now the soul-searching comes, sometime before/after the rest of my school funding comes through - which is hopefully before the deal ends. Too bad Woot doesn't offer financing...

yrx

Moueska wrote:... :D

Okay, now the soul-searching comes, sometime before/after the rest of my school funding comes through - which is hopefully before the deal ends. Too bad Woot doesn't offer financing...

By this Christmas I bet you can find a good i7 laptop for about the same price