WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Crap Your Mom Says You Need For College

Your Mom wants you to do well. She really does! That's why she's hoping you'll have all the great stuff in this sale when you go off (or back) to school. PS to Moms reading this sale: make your kids read the above sentence and you can take all the credit for helping them be prepared.

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What's the best advice your Mom ever gave you?

(And which of this stuff has caught your eye?)

I'm just hanging out, really.

mmneaves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mmneaves

Putting Crap in the title is just cruel...

dutch45810

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dutch45810

I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look,
there's Magnetbox and Sorny!

bounty42

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bounty42

Where's the close combat flashlight from the picture?

Numquam minoris aestimo potentia stultis, maxime in magna coetus
------------------------------------
■(1:40 PM, 7/27/2012) bounty42 quips, "Forget Guest Editor, what we need is a Guest Rejectionator."
■(10:40 AM, 6/21/2012 ) bounty42 inquires, "Is it just me, or do we not typically get this many Editors Choice shirts?"
■(2:02 PM, 6/15/2012) bounty42 runs numbers.
■(10:40 AM, 6/7/2012) bounty42 dispenses wisdom for all those 'too late' naysayers, "A woot shirt is never late, nor is it early, it arrives precisely when it means to."
■(3:20 PM, 5/18/2012) bounty42 states, "The turtle is very cute, and I love the smug look he's got."

Marichele

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marichele
bounty42 wrote:Where's the close combat flashlight from the picture?

Yeah, what he said!

Marichele

gnubee

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gnubee

Picardie glasses are fantastic! I've had my original ones for 18 years. Just replenished/added to them about a year ago with a few new ones. You can't tell which ones are the old ones and which ones are new.

They're sturdy. If they do break, it's tempered safety glass, so no jagged pieces. I have had two spontaneously break from my original set though.

If I had room in my cabinet, I'd buy a new set.

leronis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages leronis

Oh, no! Does all this Snapware mean it's the end of days for Lock & Lock? How will I get my L&L fix?

RogerDucky

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RogerDucky

Why does the projection clock say it's 37% off list price when it's apparently only 33% off? (10 divided by 29.99 is only 33.34%...)

Edit: Oh -- manual for the thing is at: http://magnasonic.com/files/products/radio/MAG-MM178K/manual/MAG-MM178K-en-manual.pdf

And reviews over at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-MAG-MM178K-Projection-Activated-Temperature/product-reviews/B0056IBBO0/ mostly complain about the fact that
1. The projection and LCD display aren't separate.
2. Infrared sensor may be too sensitive for it to do any good if there's any ambient infrared light around (say, direct sunlight.)

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
leronis wrote:Oh, no! Does all this Snapware mean it's the end of days for Lock & Lock? How will I get my L&L fix?

No one said that! (I have no idea.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

threebean

quality posts: 1 Private Messages threebean

Hey woot!, I'd buy that flashlight if only it was for sale. (just check my purchase history)

rezfrog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rezfrog
threebean wrote:Hey woot!, I'd buy that flashlight if only it was for sale. (just check my purchase history)

They changed the picture! Darn it... I wanted that flashlight too

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

I kind of like the clock, but the motion activated snooze would be bad for me. With four cats that jump and run to the offending alarm, one of them is bound to make it go into snooze mode and make me late for work....oh wait, I usually am anyway, I like that it projects the time though!

gugooly33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gugooly33

the silverware is made by the Oneida Cult

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

I just wanted to say I LOVE the candles...LOVE them. In fact - I am going to crunch numbers to see if I can squeezeout enough this week for a few more sets. One of my BEST buys ever. They are beautiful, everyone mentions them when they walk in (they are on my idland) & so safe. I haven't had candles in years due to babies & boys & now I can have safety AND a beautiful candle. YAY!

They do smell good too - not terribly strong, but just a light fragrance. You might be able to smell them more in a small space like a poweder room, but in my open kitchen you never notice unless you are up close. It's perfect, Dh hates things that are too strong.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

mattr09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattr09

The sheets look great. When I lived in the dorm last year I bought terrible sheets. I wound up using queen size sheets because the twin XL ones were horrible. However, these look much better than the ones I bought, and they are much cheaper as well.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
gnubee wrote:Picardie glasses are fantastic! I've had my original ones for 18 years. Just replenished/added to them about a year ago with a few new ones. You can't tell which ones are the old ones and which ones are new.

They're sturdy. If they do break, it's tempered safety glass, so no jagged pieces. I have had two spontaneously break from my original set though.

Sadly, I think their quality has gone down somewhat in recent years. (I'd guess since they restarted production under new management). Several of the ones I bought a little over 2 years ago have chips at the rim, some visible etching from the dishwasher, and originally came imperfect with at least a few small but visible bubbles and/or ripples in the glass. We've broken a few as well. One fell off the counter onto the kitchen floor just the other day and spread about a billion tiny pieces of glass across every inch of the room. I can attest that many of the resulting tiny pieces are in fact quite sharp.
Still, I'm considering this set to use as replacements for the broken/chipped ones and to have extras. The price is pretty decent.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
inkycatz wrote:What's the best advice your Mom ever gave you?

(And which of this stuff has caught your eye?)

Ah... My mom has some gems, and some coal... The best, and that which I am passing on to my son is this:
"Take care of your 'insert favorite toy here', because if it breaks, I am NOT going to buy you a new one." It only took the loss of one favorite before I learned she meant business.

As far as here... Pretty good price for a heater/fan. If mine ever broke I might go for it. ;)

tylerg2002

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tylerg2002

Do people really take Oneida flatwear to college these days? I always bought the crappy stuff from the dollar store when I was that age. I didn't feel so bad when someone walked off with a fork that cost me a dime.

BlaisesMom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlaisesMom

Anyone know if the clock LED display is readable from a distance? The projection on my current clock is great, but you have to be up close to the clock to press the button that lights up the LED display to make it readable. Clock is almost useless in the daylight or if the projection is not in your line of sight.

therealjrn

quality posts: 59 Private Messages therealjrn

You don't find genuine Magnasonic brand products just anywhere you know.

Happy 10th Woot!

mrs.embee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrs.embee

The candles are fantastic! I bought them the last time they appeared on woot. They look beautiful on my mantle. The orange hue from the online photo is only evident when the candles are on during the daytime. At night the candles look very much like the real thing.

croettger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger

The lids are on wrong for the snap stuff picture, why would I ever want to pour from that flat little thing. Put it on the big one one, the big one... Sorry can't help it and apparently I am the only one twitching because of it.

lumpthar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lumpthar

Don't get confused about the Magnasonic clock.

Magnavox + Panasonic ≠ Magnasonic.
Magnasonic = Crap.

VenusAD

quality posts: 8 Private Messages VenusAD

Adding in my love of the candles. I have no excuse to get more right now, but I wish I did! Maybe once I actually do some real decorating (like after I move and have to unpack crap all over again...)

But yeah, they're beautiful! The look so real and it's fantastic because they aren't only safe, but I don't have to worry about having my birds out around them (no fumes and no fire). The price is insanely good too.

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
gnubee wrote:Picardie glasses are fantastic! I've had my original ones for 18 years. Just replenished/added to them about a year ago with a few new ones. You can't tell which ones are the old ones and which ones are new.

I have a great idea, Woot -- sell a set of just the baby ones! I do love these, especially after getting back from Italy, where they so commonly serve as wineglasses. Wish I were there right now, I don't care how hot it is. I can deal.

kateyourfaceoff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kateyourfaceoff

You can buy a 40-something piece set of the snapware at costco for $25. Way better deal.

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586

You're all going to think I am crazy to say this. Best purchase I ever made was when I bought these flameless candles from Woot recently! They are incredible! You set the knob to timer at the time you want the candle to come on and you forget about it. The candle will automatically shut off after 5 hours AND come back on at the same time the next night. I do have a complaint though... 1 of my 12 that I ordered had a timer that didn't work. I have to admit that these things are so cool that I am really really really tempted to buy another 3 sets and put more around my house.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586
kateyourfaceoff wrote:You can buy a 40-something piece set of the snapware at costco for $25. Way better deal.

Hope you're not talking about the ones on display that I just played with a few days ago and they were crap compared to these.

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.