zeni

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zeni

I bought one of these as black friday deal last year...it went back the next day...picture was horrible....
Maybe they refurbed mine.

I know of lots of people that got them and love them.

Good luck!

philgonet

quality posts: 11 Private Messages philgonet
jrtbarber wrote:does anyone know about the view angle for these?

per the specs tab on the woot page for this item it's 178/178

jhull1975

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhull1975

Hisense, now there's a household name.

grandpa2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grandpa2k

I got one of the 40" tv's last month. I am really impresed so far. The picture is awesome on an over-the-air digital antenna as well as on cable. We had a group in our game room last night and I played a Youtube video (1.5 hour Christian concert) through my laptop to the VGA connection on the TV -- the picture was excellent! As stated in another post, the sound is like most flat panel tv's -- lacking in everything. I hooked up a stereo system to it--problem solved. Very minimal info. in the instruction manal, but easy to figure everything out if you have any techno skills at all. Good buy on the 40" for $249.

thomas998

quality posts: 22 Private Messages thomas998
isalisb wrote:Where in the world are they broadcasting sports faster than 60Hz?
Answer: nowhere

They do not broadcast faster than 60, but the are some TVs that basically generate their own frames to go in between that actually exist. So if frame 1 has the ball at point x,y and if frame 2 is x+1,y+1 the tv with 120 fram refresh would show the same thing only it would insert its own fram in between that showed the ball at x+.5,y+.5... if you get a faster tv the it just generates even more frames.... Unless it is a cheap tv with a fast refresh then it just shows the same frame multiple times.

kyles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyles

I can remember when WOOT used to sell high quality items at great prices...now it seems that they only sell junk at regular prices....

NinetyWt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NinetyWt

O Woot! Y U sell bigger TV right after I bought two 37" JVC from U???

LuckySlevin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LuckySlevin
froyb wrote:...Whether 2" more is worth the extra $50, I guess it depends...

That's what she said!

jaricewoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaricewoot
goats4sale wrote:Looks like ShopJimmy.com has it for 219 with free 2 day shipping.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/hisense-42-led-hdtv-1080p-60hz-f42k20e-refurbished-2.htm

[MOD: Per the site "Offer valid for US customer only, expires 7/31/12."]

Shopjimmy's is out of stock. My local retailer has it for only 199.00 when they are out of stock.

alanmg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alanmg
PurpleCowMan wrote:I got the 40 inch one a few weeks ago and I like it quite a bit. It takes a few seconds to power on, but other than that works like a champ. The only thing that I didn't realize when I bought it was that there is no analog audio out. I know it doesn't matter to most since it does have digital out, but for those of us with older/weirder audio set ups, it is something that might slip through the cracks when reading the specs.

I may be mistaken, but I'm looking at the pictures and I see analog AV outputs on there..the white and red ones..Oops, those are inputs, aren't they? Well, like they said, there's a headphone jack you can get an adapter for..

marion14505

quality posts: 1 Private Messages marion14505

Yay! Another TV! I was hoping that Sean's Detention Party would do another TV! I still have one wall in the storage unit I rent (to put all my furniture in because my house is full of televisions) that doesn't have a television hanging on it!

Yay!!!

junk2hide

quality posts: 0 Private Messages junk2hide
morriea wrote:http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5102807

This is the link to the discussion of the 40" Hisense sold here a couple weeks ago.

Sadly, mine was broken in shipping and there were no more to send to me.

Woot was very good about taking it back, going so far as to send me the shipping label (still waiting on the refund though). "hint"

Mine was also broken in shipping. Just got my refund a few days ago.

Npfly11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Npfly11

Is it worth buying?

ptyler003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptyler003

Still waiting for my 32" Emprex LCD TV to die that I bought four or five years ago for $399 on Black Friday... still a great picture! The longer it takes to die, the cheaper the TVs are getting with better stats!

petemorgan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petemorgan
jaricewoot wrote:Shopjimmy's is out of stock. My local retailer has it for only 199.00 when they are out of stock.

And just for an additional FYI, shopjimmy does NOT have free shipping on TV's. This is from the rep - " Thanks for contacting us. Our refurbished TVs are the only items the free 2-day shipping doesn't apply to, unfortunately. They ship from a different location from the rest of our parts, and we are not set up for free shipping from there. We do apologize for the inconvenience."

redjeep0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redjeep0

If you are on the fence because of the name you've never heard of, get off and buy this.

I bought this same tv from Costco a few weeks ago. LED LCD 42". Costco had it for $349.99 plus $10 S/H. I bought two because the price was so good. And now woot has it even cheaper! The picture is great and the sound is comparable to any other tv....get a different sound system is you want good audio. I bought this for a tv on my porch and the keeping room (big house, major renovation). I used a mount from monoprice for about $20. They don't have these in the Costco store, so I was buying based on the awesome user reviews and costco's awesome return policy. So far, definitely not disappointed except that I could have saved $115 by going through this deal on Woot!
Sorry, no link bc I am on my iPhone. But, earlier poster mentioned the price is now $399. Since I started watching this tv, Costco has twice offered it on a sale price of $349, which is when I bought.
Oh, and the energy star label says it costs $16 per year to run that tv, assuming 5 hrs per day at 11 cents a kwh. Holy cow!

I hardly ever get to tell you guys a review on something that I haven't already bought on a previous woot sale. Definitely a recommended buy.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99
redjeep0 wrote:If you are on the fence because of the name you've never heard of, get off and buy this.

I bought this same tv from Costco

That's the kicker- Costco takes returns fast and Woot.... not so much. So, if the tv shipped undamaged and works, it's a deal. If there is a crack...not so much.then the warranty difference. I think Costco would be a safer bet here for $50 more.

michaeldupree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaeldupree

Be warned - Hisense will NOT offer any warranty or product support since Woot is not an "authorized dealer." I discovered this after purchasing the 40" model a couple of weeks ago and it arrived without a base. Woot hasn't been responsive in dealing with my service requests either.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

bunnyb0y wrote:Description says LED but the specs say "Panel Type: CCFL, LCD". Which is it?

We apologize for the snafu, the Specs have been corrected, today's sale (Panel Type) is LED and not LCD.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Jonnyjam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jonnyjam
PurpleCowMan wrote:I got the 40 inch one a few weeks ago and I like it quite a bit. It takes a few seconds to power on, but other than that works like a champ. The only thing that I didn't realize when I bought it was that there is no analog audio out. I know it doesn't matter to most since it does have digital out, but for those of us with older/weirder audio set ups, it is something that might slip through the cracks when reading the specs.

I was going to write a review but this guy already wrote it for me. so by commenting im reinforcing everything this guy said. Kind of like; a like button.

mrk874

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrk874

I got the 40" from the last woot.

Good cheap TV.

Confirmed the problem with the remote not working from far away, but it's OK in the small room I have it in.

The TV isn't super sturdy on the base, but maybe all TVs are like this (my other TV is wall mounted so I wouldn't know).

Besides that no complaints. Great price.

loribrusk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loribrusk

Why does woot keep selling 60hz TV's?!?! I want a 120hz TV!!!

karisk81

quality posts: 7 Private Messages karisk81
Thazeran wrote:Refresh Rate: 60Hz

If you like HD sports, I'd stay away.

I have a tv with a 60 Hz and watch football on it with no problems (Go Packers!). But that of course is just anecdotal.

If you want to get down to the science of it, you have to first look at the frame rate of the media. From Wikipedia, the standard frame rates are 24p, 25p, and 30p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate.

Following Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist%E2%80%93Shannon_sampling_theorem, you need to sample at least twice as fast as your signal to recreate the signal. So if the fastest frame rate is 30p then you need at least a 60 Hz sampling rate.

In my mind, 60 Hz refresh rate for sports is sufficient, but gaming might be a different story.

As for 3D, that must be at least 120 Hz because it is actually displaying 2 images.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

I visited Wallmart to look at TVs and the hisense TVs did not measure up to LG SONY and other major brand names.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

bduranske

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bduranske

FWIW, the 40" Hisense I got on a previous deal is going back. There are bad "blocky" issues with the colors, and it comes on in factory mode about 1/10 times. This one might be better, but I'm not taking a chance. With TVs, learning the hard way that you really do want to see them in action before buying.

SonnyPalta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SonnyPalta
philgonet wrote:perhaps not an elegant solution, but there IS a headphone jack in one of the pictures on the main page (just under the component jacks on the side view)... so you could use that to port out the analog audio signal and use a splitter that goes to 2 RCA jacks.

You just made my day. I bought a redtag 45" for like 350 the other day and was just dealing with this issue.

Cheers, Mate.

BigAssRat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BigAssRat

I purchased this TV from Costco a few weeks ago and have had it setup for over 2 weeks as a basement (read computer room) TV.

It is in fact LED and not CFL and as others have stated, and it does take a few seconds to start up, but so does my Sony 55".

It has a great picture in High Def. The blacks are surprisingly black for a TV of this price range. My living room TV is a Sony 55" KDL810 and I am not comparing the two at all, but then again the Sony costs 4 - 5 times as much.

Standard DEF is a different story. If you plan to watch primarily Standard Def TV then do NOT get this TV. If you plan to watch primarily HD, then you will be fine.

This is NOT a smart TV (so no Youtube, DNLA, etc,) it is basically a large monitor with HD/SD TV tuner and multiple inputs.

The sound leaves a lot to be desired, but it does have a headphone out so I hooked up a pair of computer speakers and it sounds much better that way.

Hope this helps.

philgonet

quality posts: 11 Private Messages philgonet
SonnyPalta wrote:You just made my day. I bought a redtag 45" for like 350 the other day and was just dealing with this issue.

Cheers, Mate.

Glad to help... and BTW, it looks like a standard 3.5mm jack, NOT a 5mm jack as mentioned in the post following mine (at first I thought it was another typo, but then he said it twice...):

Randman80 wrote:Very happy with mine. As for the "audio out" , the is a 5mm earphone jack. I got an adapter cable (5mm to phononjack..$3). Pluged into the stereo amp and we were good to go.

isalisb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages isalisb
thomas998 wrote:They do not broadcast faster than 60, but the are some TVs that basically generate their own frames to go in between that actually exist. So if frame 1 has the ball at point x,y and if frame 2 is x+1,y+1 the tv with 120 fram refresh would show the same thing only it would insert its own fram in between that showed the ball at x+.5,y+.5... if you get a faster tv the it just generates even more frames.... Unless it is a cheap tv with a fast refresh then it just shows the same frame multiple times.

And you think inserting fake data into your sports is a good thing?

Faster refresh rates have their uses, but the benefits just don't meet the price yet for me. I was thinking 120Hz 2D with a 3D nvidia card in my HTPC would be a cheaper way to get into 3D, but it wasn't.

isalisb

loribrusk wrote:Why does woot keep selling 60hz TV's?!?! I want a 120hz TV!!!

Calm down and read this
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379206,00.asp

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady
VooDooPC wrote:Aren't most refresh rates above 60hz, other than 3D TVs which run at 120hz, just marketing for something that essentially just tries to eliminate motion blur? They have "480hz" TVs, but I think it's just marketing garbage.

I believe that that is the standard rate on plasma tv's

louisgrady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages louisgrady
jhull1975 wrote:Hisense, now there's a household name.

Yes, it is a household name, just not the name which is on the TV's which many people have, but were made by Hisense with the license TV. Check the internet, you will find the brands and models made by Hisense, especially Magnavoxx.

karisk81

ROGETRAY wrote:We apologize for the snafu, the Specs have been corrected, today's sale (Panel Type) is LED and not LCD.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Isn't the issue with the backlight (ccfl vs LED) and not the panel? This is most likely still an LCD panel but with an LED backlight. This makes it thinner, more energy efficient ect. when compared to an CCFL backlight.

jrtbarber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrtbarber

Factor in tax and S&H at walmart and it might not be 'cheaper' convenient for in store pick up though.

Thanks for the heads up. I went with WallyWorld, cause if there is an issue, the return will be easier. With tax it was $5 more than woot.

covert0p5 wrote:$10 cheaper at Walmart, but it's LCD...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-42-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-LTDN42V77US-Refurbished/21015302

The 40" and 46" are decently priced as well..

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-46-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-1.75-ultra-slim-LTDN46V86US-Refurbished/21081384#Product+Reviews

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-40-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-F40V87C-Refurbished/21081388

isalisb

karisk81 wrote:Isn't the issue with the backlight (ccfl vs LED) and not the panel? This is most likely still an LCD panel but with an LED backlight. This makes it thinner, more energy efficient ect. when compared to an CCFL backlight.

Negative. Unfortunately I see that comment often, and obviously many sales droids don't know the difference either. All TVs labeled as LED are LCD with an LED backlight. (until we start seeing OLED TVs). The super thin ones are "Edge lit" and the more normal size are "Full Array"

taurine

quality posts: 5 Private Messages taurine

I bought the same TV from 1SAD last month at the same price. It's my first HD TV, so I'm not an authority or anything, but to me, it looks just as good as the HD TVs they have at the sports bars. I watched some of the Olympics in 1080i and it was amazing how sharp the picture was. Seeing every little speckle on a gymnasts uniform, for example. And the menus with the names and stats of the athletes were super sharp.

It can read the digital air signal, but you still have to buy an antenna to get the signal just like the old days. I bought a $10 one at Walmart, and can get 2 channels, sometimes 3 or 4, including NBC in HD. I live out in the boonies. In the city, I'm sure you'll get more channels with $10 RCA rabbit ears from Walmart.

My Comcast cable box is over 10 years old (the first model that had the info button and program guide), so the HD channels don't seem to work on it. If those channels are black now, despite showing "program info" and not showing the "please subscribe" stuff, then it's not your TV, it's the box. Getting an HDTV won't make those channels work. I called and am getting a new Comcast cable box so that I can see more HD on this TV.

Back to the TV, it's true what others said that it will take about 10 seconds to turn on. The LED changes color immediately though, so there's no excuse to keep hitting the power button. The ability to switch between TV, HDMI, and all the other inputs is straight forward. The coax input is divided by cable and antenna, and you have to go into the menu to switch between those. The Channel scan works well (in fact, this is the first thing you should do if you use basic cable or antenna), as well as the channel skip. With basic cable (no box; just the cord coming out of the wall), I picked up a decent amount of channels, some in HD, some duplicated in both HD and SD. I used the channel skip feature to avoid duplicates.

TL;DR It's a fine TV, with all the features you'd expect of a non-smart TV, but update your cable box if you want more HD.

Macai

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Macai

The SquareTrade warranty is garbage. I just looked at their FAQ. Here are a couple things they don't cover (that they should):

SquareTrade wrote:Television, monitor, and/or projector screen imperfections, including burn-in and dead pixels (unless such defects exceed the manufacturer's criteria for acceptable dead or stuck pixels)

So if there's a dead pixel--one of the most common problems with televisions and monitors--and it isn't whatever arbitrary amount of dead pixelage that the manufacturer says is enough to merit replacement, then tough titty, thanks for the free money.

HarveyH45

quality posts: 4 Private Messages HarveyH45
ROGETRAY wrote:We apologize for the snafu, the Specs have been corrected, today's sale (Panel Type) is LED and not LCD.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Since we are picking a technicalities... Both are LCD screens, the difference is the back-lighting,LED and CCFL (cold cathode Fluorescent...

Bought this to replace a 32" Element LCD I bought a couple years ago, the back-light failed a few days ago. Having some experience trying to find inverters and tubes for monitors, wanted to be free of them. Pricing LED TVs wasn't looking too good, until I saw this one. Most of the reviews are good. Most of the bad, are user error, so figure it can't be too bad. Little worried about whether it travels well, and how gently it will be handled.

karisk81

isalisb wrote:Negative. Unfortunately I see that comment often, and obviously many sales droids don't know the difference either. All TVs labeled as LED are LCD with an LED backlight. (until we start seeing OLED TVs). The super thin ones are "Edge lit" and the more normal size are "Full Array"

Isn't that what I said?