WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! If you're on schedule with that summer romance, you should be hitting "tearful breakup" sometime this week. Hey, it's nobody's fault. That's just how summer romances work. In a few months, you'll be able to look back at the good times and laugh. Today, though, you need some good breakup songs. Scott's ready to help you out, starting below.

The Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love... (With Someone You Shouldn't've)

Yeah, you knew when you started it wouldn't end well. But it was love! Who can stand in the way of love? As they say, only love can break your heart. It's the glorious mistakes that ultimately make us who we are. Pete Shelly's song reminds us that even if it hurts now, you'll be better for it… eventually.

More to come, along with the Spotify playlist, right after the jump.

Come enjoy our Spotify playlist! We're showing off our Back To School playlist as a companion to our previous post collecting name songs from men and women. Check those out in our great big mix after you enjoy our current Music Monday below.

Bob Dylan - Don't Think Twice It's Alright

Oh, they were never serious about staying in touch after camp ended? That special summer someone unfriended you on Facebook after dropping you off at the airport? Brush your shoulders off, sir or madam. Don't think twice.

Sinead O'Conner - Troy

There probably isn't another song that captures the passion of love cut too soon. Sinead O'Conner's rarely performed… well, epic covers basically an entire dying relationship from start to finish. The slow whispers, the deep innocent love, the angry condemnations, and ultimately, a sort of closure. Since the artist is not really forthcoming about the deeper meaning, there's a chance this isn't actually intended to be about a romantic breakup, but it just FEELS like one, doesn't it?

Roxy Music - Over You

In this jangling tune lies a dark secret: for a few weeks after a break up, everything reminds you of what you had and shared. When it's darkest, you might think you'll never EVER get over them. But take heart, your best friend the twang says! It's always darkest just before dawn. And every step you take is a step forward.

Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

That's right, Gloria reminds us. Look after you, now. Don't keep wasting time on rebounding. They didn't want you? Their loss! Put on your good shoes and head out with a smile. Because living well is the best revenge. And, let's face it, it was only just a summer romance anyway.

Sure, this time Scott ran with an extended metaphor, but it's nothing personal. You're still welcome in our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. And maybe, just maybe, you'll have a good summer breakup song of your own to add in the comments? Also, just FYI, some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

The classic Grease song "Summer Nights" has the summer romance then the breakup at the end of the song. Also Bryan Adam's "Summer of 69" has the summer romance then the breakup at the end.

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

"Brush your shoulders off" - this song always had a bit of cognitive dissonance for me - the singer is obviously bitter at the lover and feels abandoned - thus leading to his own departure. But he sings: 'Don't think twice, it's all right'. Heavy irony, raised to meta-irony by Dylan's comments about the song.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Exactly on topic is this lovely number from Shonen Knife. Another Day

Also from the Buzzcocks: Wish I Never Loved You

tslothrop

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tslothrop

If 'Stormy Night' can be construed as Summer: 'Two Out of Three Ain't Bad' by Meat Loaf.

If getting shot by your own gang counts as a breakup: 'Jungleland' by Bruce Springsteen.

Bonus question: What do these two songs have in common?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Sad Breakup songs? Sadcore is my genre of choice. Songs that are just straight up depressing is what I listen to exclusively. Here are a couple of my favorites off the top of my head.

Carissa's Wierd (sic) - They'll only miss you when you leave.
telephones and postcards with misshaped hearts beside the names
i've read this letter for the hundredth time today
i've rearranged, analyzed the words
tried to find something between the lines that wasn't there
at least now i can see through these worn out lines and torn up pages,
don't know how i'll fall asleep tonight

This song could be interpreted as a breakup song (a friend I showed it to did) but it's actually about a guy who kills himself and leaves his woman alone. I guess that's the biggest way to break up with someone.

Elliott Smith - I didn't Understand Beautiful song showcasing Elliot's beautiful lyrics and sad storytelling abilities.

Wilco - We're just friends

>TFW the girl you love doesn't love you and you stay friends hoping you can at least still be friends, but she doesn't want anything to do with you.

The Antlers - Two

This is the part where The narrator and Sylvia break up in The Antlers' Concept Album - Hospice. Great listen if you've never checked it out. It tries so desperately to pull at your heartstrings and normally that's annoying, but they do such a damn good job I don't even care.

Flaming Lips - Fight Test

Here's a story about a young guy who lost the girl because he didn't stand up for her and prove his worth to her.

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 129 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

Sometime Around Midnight from The Airborne Toxic Effect:

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Wake up
It's over again
The day is getting colder
Head aches, my mind breaks
Kicked the covers on the floor
Downstairs
They're laughing
Everybody's seeming happy
I say it's too early
To smile, I haven't done that in a while

(I love the phrase "sadcore".) Now I am sad and need to go look at otter pictures for a while.

I'm just hanging out, really.

jezebelseven

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jezebelseven

Ash has a few good summer breakup type songs.

Oh Yeah she was taking me over
Oh Yeah it was the start of the summer

On warm June evenings
She would come to my house
Still in her school skirt
And her summer blouse
Talking too long as the night came on
It was the best time of my life
Her bee stung lips,
Kisses sweeter than wine
The things she whispered
With breathless sighs
The summer air was soft and warm
Her eyes were making silent demands
And as her hair came undone in my hands

Driving her home after midnight
I felt so good everything was alright
Her thoughts seemed so lost in the night sky
I remember everything
I don't know why these things ever end
I sometimes wish it was that summer again
I still see her in my sleep
And hear the sighing of the summer wind
Still I don't regret one thing

It felt just like it was the start of forever

---

Your beauty took my breath away
In awe all day
Your company was so relaxing
Easy going ways
We saw the first signs of summer
And spring time change
Walking barefoot along the sand
I hadn't planned to stay

Yeah we've been walking barefoot all summer
It'll be sad my friend
To see it come to an end
Why can't we just quit

You are broke all summer
But you still sing
Don't need money when it's sunny
Don't need anything
Just need music and sun and laughter
And no currency
The sun on your bare shoulders
It comes for free

It'll be sad my friend
To see it come to an end
Why can't we just quit
Why can't we just design
To live like this all the time
Why can't we just quit

Sand ran through my fingers
And the land was hot
Anointed by Apollo and his chariot
Disarmed by your charm
That night I felt it again
Addictive and consuming
Love's sweet pain

It'll be sad my friend
To see it come to an end
Why can't we just quit

Our days are as the wind blows us
We are free
You've a quiet life out of town
Of coastal ease
The wind it has no pattern
We take life slow
And when the night has fallen
Our cup overflows

When the summer's gone and the room is cold
When you're looking at the rain and it just won't go
Remember when the sun was high up above
Remeber when the days were long
And we were in love

It'll be sad my friend
To see it come to an end
Why can't we just quit
Why can't we just design
To live like this all the time
Why can't we just quit

Trade with me on TeeTrade!
THINK OF THE PATHOGENS!!!

kchoschton

quality posts: 17 Private Messages kchoschton

Am I the only one who has tons of playlists on this very topic? Perhaps I've endured way too many breakups. And while I have about 50 that I could list, I'll hit the ones that resonated with me most: Don Henley-Boys of Summer, Madonna - Take a Bow, Jewel - You Were Meant for Me, Sade - Pretty much anything by her, Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U, Vertical Horizon - Best I Ever Had, Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes (and any of her new stuff too). But the very best breakup song IMHO is REO Speedwagon's Time for Me to Fly.

EDIT: The list is not specific to Summer, but heartache knows no season.

crickee

quality posts: 20 Private Messages crickee

Id play that on repeat.

Thought maybe it was too obvious. Its the first thing that came to mind but I didnt see it mentioned yet.

dieseltravis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dieseltravis

One of my favorite breakup songs by one of my favorite local bands:

OrionM31

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OrionM31

Matthew Sweet You Don't Love Me from his Girlfriend CD. Give it a listen. Really, the whole album takes you through the whole relationship thing. This is something I really shouldn't be listening to right now though. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXXjYr_HU0

HarryFishnuts

quality posts: 10 Private Messages HarryFishnuts

My personal favorite, Next Girl by The Black Keys

ALso The Scientist by Coldplay. Makes ya cry.

and +1 on Sometime Around Midnight!

snaylor34

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snaylor34

Since the best ever (Don't Think Twice...) is already represented, I'll just leave these two:

Art Brut - People in Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBxu939PoVI

Fiona Apple - Love Ridden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiMHRn-DFgI

mevail

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mevail

The Corrs - I Never Loved You Anyway

Happiest-sounding snarky breakup song ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmXPBuzS5E

Be patient. Good things come to those who Woot.

1starfish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages 1starfish

These may not be summer break-up songs, but one my favorite tracks is Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone.
A couple other tunes: Weird Al - You Don't Love Me Anymore and of course The Greg Kihn Band's - The Break-Up Song.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Like a leech
I hold on as if we belonged
To some precious pure dream
Cast off you've seen what's beneath
Now fail me

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Woodpecker

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Woodpecker

kcostell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kcostell

I'm a fan of The Cyrkle's Red Rubber Ball (originally penned by Paul Simon and Bruce Woodley)

"Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea.
If I never hear your name again it's all the same to me..."

klynb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klynb

Barenaked Ladies - Break Your Heart

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1

I am sure that it's pathetic, but I actually have a break up CD.... seriously.

This CD contains such uplifting tunes as: Stronger (Christina Agulera, and one by Sara Evans), I love myself today (Bif Naked), Believe (Cher), Since U been gone (Kelly Clarkson), Don't Bother (Shakira), and of course I will survive (Gloria Gaynor) among several other great songs in this well worn CD...

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig
awnree1 wrote:I am sure that it's pathetic, but I actually have a break up CD.... seriously.

This CD contains such uplifting tunes as: Stronger (Christina Agulera, and one by Sara Evans), I love myself today (Bif Naked), Believe (Cher), Since U been gone (Kelly Clarkson), Don't Bother (Shakira), and of course I will survive (Gloria Gaynor) among several other great songs in this well worn CD...

Mine would have to be Black Flag's My War, with such uplifting tunes as Beat My Head Against The Wall, The Swinging Man, and Nothing Left Inside.

I remember reading a review of it that said something like, "Side 1 is great, but side 2 is nothing but Henry Rollins screaming like a wounded animal over the drone of Greg Ginn's guitar." I had to guess that reviewer never had a broken heart.

acentofanti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acentofanti

Little known, but brilliant:

The Big Mistake by The Grandsons.

http://open.spotify.com/track/7oJq2S06hfds2cotx8exAC