WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Black & Decker Power Tools

If you ask someone to name a tool company, Black & Decker will always appear on the list. Why? Because they make tools that are perfect for the occasional builder. Doesn't matter if you're fixing a sink or building a shelf or hanging that stupid plastic swordfish in your son's post-college bedroom.
Black & Decker official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Time to get things fixed up and ready for the winter! What's on your repair list?

I'm just hanging out, really.

capguncowboy

quality posts: 16 Private Messages capguncowboy

No thanks. The last time I bought a Black and Decker power tool, it failed in less than a day and even when it was working, it seemed to be lacking in quality.

These tools will probably be great for someone who just needs it for an odd job around the house once or twice a month, but if you plan on doing a major project, I'd consider looking at another line of products

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

Black & Decker is one of the only tool companies still using NiCd batteries, unfortunately.

Be prepared for battery performance to decline rapidly and stop working altogether within a couple of years.

But, for $20 it might still be worth it.

I won't buy anything without lithium batteries anymore. Don't know why NiCd and NiMH are still used.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

DennisG2010 wrote:Black & Decker is one of the only tool companies still using NiCd batteries, unfortunately.

Be prepared for battery performance to decline rapidly and stop working altogether within a couple of years.

But, for $20 it might still be worth it.

I won't buy anything without lithium batteries anymore. Don't know why NiCd and NiMH are still used.

FWIW, the Handisaw is indeed a NiCad battery but the rest are corded tools.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

mrglenasmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrglenasmith

Don't expect these to be high quality tools. I guess they would be ok to send off to college with Jr. But if Jr. needs this kind of tools at school, wouldn't you rather buy good quality tools?

Big T

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Big T

Black and Decker, the dregs of the power tool world.

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2
inkycatz wrote:Time to get things fixed up and ready for the winter! What's on your repair list?

Got nothing broken at this time, though i have some projects. I intend to build a shelf made out of wooden crates and restore an old wooden trunk.

Aside from that, B&D will get the job done, but, as others have stated, are the low end of the quality spectrum.

Not for the serious worker.

Buy if:

You occasionally get a wild hair to try to fix something yourself.

Your husband never fixes anything bc his excuse is "I dont have the tools for the job".

Your aging mother has taken up remodeling in a defiant stance against her impending passing.

You have an unusual affinity for NiCrapadmium batteries.

Here's an energy density graph. NiCd's are heavier than Li Ions for the same power.

Also, I got the Powah! Bum! Bum, bum, bum Bumm! Oh ya i mean notes on battery cycle performance.

J. Amp

tbgolladay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbgolladay

Avoid the 6-volt handisaw. I bought one of these several years ago, thinking that I could trim shrubs without getting my corded shrub trimmer out. I couldn't even cut 1/4" wood with it. Pretty much worthless.

beautyofmachines

quality posts: 7 Private Messages beautyofmachines

B&D's quality has steadily gone downhill in recent years. I'd take a HF version of the tool over any of these.

lmsieu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lmsieu

What I really WANT is a circular saw. Why is there no circular saw? ARGH! The power tool Gods conspire against me!

Lily
and the dog.

p145897

quality posts: 0 Private Messages p145897

Black and Decker is to tools as Yugo is to automobiles!

AudioFileZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AudioFileZ

Regarding the heat gun...I have this same exact unit except mine says Porter-Cable. Humm...guess B&D and P-C are part of same company? Anyway, this gun replaced a Makita that worked for somewhere around a decade. Compared to the Makita this one is noticeably weaker. It works, but it is definitely an entry-level type thing.

redemoose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redemoose
AudioFileZ wrote:Regarding the heat gun...I have this same exact unit except mine says Porter-Cable. Humm...guess B&D and P-C are part of same company? Anyway, this gun replaced a Makita that worked for somewhere around a decade. Compared to the Makita this one is noticeably weaker. It works, but it is definitely an entry-level type thing.

B & D bought Porter-Cable a few years ago and Delta, too! whadda you gonna do?

tbgolladay

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbgolladay
redemoose wrote:B & D bought Porter-Cable a few years ago and Delta, too! whadda you gonna do?

Dewalt is also part of that same group. That's the high end brand.

GamerAndy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GamerAndy

Hey Woot, Amazon beats your price on the Multi-Tool with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BD200MTB-Variable-Speed-Oscillating/dp/B005AZI12O

dctipton1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dctipton1
GamerAndy wrote:Hey Woot, Amazon beats your price on the Multi-Tool with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BD200MTB-Variable-Speed-Oscillating/dp/B005AZI12O

Concur...no deal here...and, it did help me locate a good one for a better price, and Amazon still gets a cut.

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-GMT15A-Multi-Purpose-Oscillating-Tool/dp/B003H054RY/Oscillating Tool

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 618 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

GamerAndy wrote:Hey Woot, Amazon beats your price on the Multi-Tool with free shipping.

The Plus deals are select deals of product that we can't sell on the main sites for various reasons like it being too niche or the small quantities available.

They're generally good deals in their own right but they're not going to have the deep discounts that you're used to seeing on the daily sales. This is due in part to the smaller quantities (i.e. no volume discounts). In some cases, the deal is improved if you take advantage of the $5 all day shipping.

As always, we know our wooters are serious consumers and will hunt down the best price available. We expect no less of you.

Hope that helps. Happy shopping!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

dctipton1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dctipton1
ThunderThighs wrote:The Plus deals are select deals of product that we can't sell on the main sites for various reasons like it being too niche or the small quantities available.

They're generally good deals in their own right but they're not going to have the deep discounts that you're used to seeing on the daily sales. This is due in part to the smaller quantities (i.e. no volume discounts). In some cases, the deal is improved if you take advantage of the $5 all day shipping.

As always, we know our wooters are serious consumers and will hunt down the best price available. We expect no less of you.

Hope that helps. Happy shopping!

It helps, but mainly in illustrating that woot, er, I mean Amazon appears to be taking Woot away from what it make it popular with its core users - reliable, good products that could not be found for less coin elsewhere. I expect that is why its been postured not as the main woot deals, but "as long as you are here, lets start offering you these side/so-so deals."