WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Part scrappy gangs of streetfighters, part larger-than-life demigods, rock and hip-hop groups have grown into the closest approximations to legends you'll find in our skeptical age. So it's not surprising that so many movies and TV shows have populated their epic tales of success and excess with imaginary pop stars - enough to keep the Rocklopedia Fakebandica growing every day.

You won't see any of these acts on a festival stage near you (with maybe one exception), but can you name them, and the fictional movie or TV universes where they're famous?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

You want more Trivial Eye, don't you? Yeah, you do.

kcostell

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kcostell

And here I was thinking #2 was Josie and the class clowncats.

thespiansmc

quality posts: 20 Private Messages thespiansmc

This would be better if you had also listed The Folksmen.

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0

Oh My Frying Goodness!!! I *loved* Jem and the Holograms!!! Yep, I was THAT girl!

(Additionally I didn't look at the answers because I don't recognize ANYBODY else...) Jem....she's truly outrageous!! Ahhh...I've had my happy memory; now I can go to bed. :-)

Misty Walker

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Eh, I always thought Jem was just outrageous, not truly outrageous.

Anyway, what's the line for "fake"? Spinal Tap has actually toured. Are the Monkees fake because they were created for a TV show?

rshewmaker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rshewmaker

GEM! She's totally outrageous.

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

I do believe that if you reasearch the topic you will discover that Jem is, in fact, truly, truly, truly, outrageous.

It is scientific fact.

the7654

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the7654

Wasn't Miley Cyrus an imaginary band that became real because we all wised hard enough?

tekman7d0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tekman7d0

I remember my 15 year old going around for days singing "You All Everybody" by DriveShaft, after hearing it on Lost.

darkglow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkglow

Jem and the Holograms wasn't just for girls. My 2 brothers and I watched that everytime it was on lol no shame!

weemill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weemill

2 - Jem and the holograms. Truly, truly, truly outrageous. Always battling the misfits on tv's Jem

3 - NWH. They have a whole hat PHILOSOPHY! from Fear of a Black Hat

4 - Spinal Tap. If you can't hear them, turn it up to eleven

5 - The Five Heartbeats, from the five heartbeats!

7 - The Monkees. People say they monkey around, but they're too busy singing to put anybody down

8 - WYLD STALLIONS--From Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, and their more Bogus Journey

yaniglos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yaniglos
cappo wrote:I do believe that if you reasearch the topic you will discover that Jem is, in fact, truly, truly, truly, outrageous.

It is scientific fact.

After researching this, but I fear that Jem may be a target for an Apple lawsuit. They must have holographic ear rings in their bag.

bec9681

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bec9681

#7 is The Wonders from the movie That Thing You Do!

#6 is Driveshaft of Lost fame.

dillydally

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dillydally

When I was little girl Jem was my fav. By far, better than Barbie and the Rockers. Since my initials were JEM. We were both Truly outrageous!

lmensor

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lmensor

I believe #1 is The Commitments, I actually have the cd from the movie.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

1. Not a clue
2. Jem & the Holograms
3. Not a clue
4. Spinal Tap
5. The Five Heartbeats
6. Not a clue
7 The Wonders
8 Wyld Stallyns

Even after looking at the answers, I have no idea who 1, 3, and 6 are. I haven't even heard of the respective movies for 1 and 3.

yokogleeton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yokogleeton

Yeah 3 and 6 are NWH (from fear of a Black Hat) and Driveshaft (from Lost the TV show)

Personally, if any of you have not seen Fear of a Black Hat, it's like Spinal Tap and CB4 merged into a movie with less famous actors...and it's pretty funny.

ugliestmouse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ugliestmouse

C'mon guys! You missed so many great bands:

The Blues Brothers
The Hong Kong Cavaliers
The Archies
Crucial Taunt
Josie and the [redacted]cats (live action)
The Cantina Band
Cherry Bomb

And those are just off the top of my head (except for Cherry Bomb, I did have to look their name up).

motherboyxxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages motherboyxxx

#1 - The Commitments.

WATCH THAT MOVIE!!!
it's awsome.
although they actually DID play a few gigs just a couple years ago so they shouldn't be on this list. ( You can google that and verify it)

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
alanhwoot wrote:
Anyway, what's the line for "fake"? Spinal Tap has actually toured. Are the Monkees fake because they were created for a TV show?

I guess in some respect they do blur the line. I remember I was engaging in some small talk with a friend of mine and he mentioned Spinal Tap was on some talk show he had watched the night before. Our ensuing conversation went something like this:

Me: "Oh I love Spinal Tap! Have you ever seen the movie. It's hilarious"
Friend: "Nah, I don't think I want to see it, They said last night the director did a real hatchet job on them"
Me: "The movie is a mockumentary, they aren't a real band"
Friend: "Yes they are. They played a couple of songs last night"
Me: "Well, I guess they're 'real' in the sense they know how to play music, but the band members are actors playing characters."
Friend: "Huh? You mean like Kiss? They weren't wearing makeup"
Me: "No, it is a parody of a heavy metal band. They are actual actors. The blond guy is Lenny from LaVerne and Shirley."
Friend: "No, his name is David St. something or another and he had an English accent"
Me: "Right, that is Michael McKean and David St. Hubbins is the name of his *character*"
Friend: "That don't make no sense" (sic)

morrisey0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morrisey0

How do Eddie & The Cruisers not make this list???

strider72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72
ugliestmouse wrote:
The Cantina Band

The cantina band from Star Wars actually has a name:

Figrin Dan and the Modal Nodes

aabbud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aabbud

1. The Commitments (movie)
2. Jem (toon)
3. ^_^?
4. Spinal Tap (movie)
5. The Five Heartbeats (movie)
6. Drive Shaft - Lost
7. The Wonders - That thing you do
8. WYLD STALLIONZ - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

rayray8822

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rayray8822

Point of reference . . . They were the "Oneders," remember?

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737

I'm really disappointed that Otis Day and the Knights didn't make the list.

"OTIS - My man!"

And yes, you can dance with our ladies....

PocketBrain

quality posts: 44 Private Messages PocketBrain

"I'm Bill S. Preston, Esquire!"
"And I'm Ted, Theodore Logan!"
"And together we are..."

"WYLD STALLYNS!!!"

good times, good times.

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

I got the Commitments, Gem and the Holograms, Spinal Tap, and Wild Stallions.

Spinal Tap is an all time great. While in college, one of my friends wanted to get into the movie business (production side) and was taking some classes for it. One of the teachers assigned them to watch Spinal Tap as homework. After she had watched it, I saw the tape on her desk and commented on how much I loved that movie. She responded how it was a pretty stupid documentary and she didn't understand why the teacher bothered with it. I explained the mockumentary concept to her and later she told me that at least 1/3 of the class didn't get it either. The teacher explained that a "good" movie does not equal a "serious" movie, and that far too many people miss the goal of creating the movie for an audience to enjoy.

ugliestmouse

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ugliestmouse
davidbowser wrote:While in college, one of my friends wanted to get into the movie business (production side) and was taking some classes for it. One of the teachers assigned them to watch Spinal Tap as homework. After she had watched it, I saw the tape on her desk and commented on how much I loved that movie. She responded how it was a pretty stupid documentary and she didn't understand why the teacher bothered with it. I explained the mockumentary concept to her and later she told me that at least 1/3 of the class didn't get it either.

I would have to wonder about the careers of people taking classes on movie making that don't recognize that great a number of well-known actors and comedians playing someone other than themselves or have the critical thinking ability to realize that it would therefor not be a documentary.

I, for one, would be leery of a movie made by someone who doesn't know who Carl Reiner is.

pomodesign

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pomodesign
HomerTime wrote:I guess in some respect they do blur the line. I remember I was engaging in some small talk with a friend of mine and he mentioned Spinal Tap was on some talk show he had watched the night before. Our ensuing conversation went something like this:

Me: "Oh I love Spinal Tap! Have you ever seen the movie. It's hilarious"
Friend: "Nah, I don't think I want to see it, They said last night the director did a real hatchet job on them"
Me: "The movie is a mockumentary, they aren't a real band"
Friend: "Yes they are. They played a couple of songs last night"
Me: "Well, I guess they're 'real' in the sense they know how to play music, but the band members are actors playing characters."
Friend: "Huh? You mean like Kiss? They weren't wearing makeup"
Me: "No, it is a parody of a heavy metal band. They are actual actors. The blond guy is Lenny from LaVerne and Shirley."
Friend: "No, his name is David St. something or another and he had an English accent"
Me: "Right, that is Michael McKean and David St. Hubbins is the name of his *character*"
Friend: "That don't make no sense" (sic)

Sounds like your friend watched the dvd with the commentary on, which totally sounds like that. The cast stayed in character for it. Brilliant!

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo
rayray8822 wrote:Point of reference . . . They were the "Oneders," remember?

They were, until the manager changed it because everyone was calling them the Oh-needers.