jings69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jings69

Wait..i get it...

Bacon On Coffin

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1
hellotoe wrote:So, did any of you buy one of the Bacon-Oriented Collections during this wootoff?

I did!
Bacon soda. LOL

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

nmill005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmill005

Actually a pretty good price...

beachhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beachhead

It appears the "end of Bacon" theme is more likely a metaphor for the "end of Bundles of Crayons's". This is two woot off's in a row sans the rare, and highly desired item of mystery.

Change can be good. When Woot sold out to Amazon, we knew there would be change. And change we have. The website has gone from a simple, "down home", one item, buy it or move on style to a jumbled mish-mash of over priced stuff. And now it appears the Bundles of Crayons has been abandoned as well.

Yes, change can be good. But when you lose your "soul" for the sake of change, I'm not so sure I'd put that in the "good" category.

I'll still come by, and look for the very rare bargain, but I do mourn the website that once was "woot".

eldiablohijo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages eldiablohijo
beachhead wrote:It appears the "end of Bacon" theme is more likely a metaphor for the "end of Bundles of Crayons's". This is two woot off's in a row sans the rare, and highly desired item of mystery.

I think they are more giving them out via social media now.

acraigl

quality posts: 61 Private Messages acraigl
beachhead wrote:It appears the "end of Bacon" theme is more likely a metaphor for the "end of Bundles of Crayons's". This is two woot off's in a row sans the rare, and highly desired item of mystery.

Change can be good. When Woot sold out to Amazon, we knew there would be change. And change we have. The website has gone from a simple, "down home", one item, buy it or move on style to a jumbled mish-mash of over priced stuff. And now it appears the Bundles of Crayons has been abandoned as well.

Yes, change can be good. But when you lose your "soul" for the sake of change, I'm not so sure I'd put that in the "good" category.

I'll still come by, and look for the very rare bargain, but I do mourn the website that once was "woot".

Disagree. They gave them out all week, and the woot-off before cooincided with their birthday crap. I can't imaging the effort needed to put 5000 of these things together.

I've said it before, the Bundles of Crayons is a woot "brand" and they will not give that up. I'd be shocked if they were not offered on the next woot-off (or some other event of their choosing).

x2

Woody1150

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Woody1150
eldiablohijo wrote:I think they are more giving them out via social media now.

I agree. I myself don't have the time to follow every FB post or Twitter update to see when they are available. So... no more bacon for me I guess.

ToejamFootball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToejamFootball

While I enjoy Woot's sense of humor, seriously, if you aren't going to give out the Bags anymore, you need to make a statement to let everyone know.

ToeJamFootball

lumpthar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lumpthar

WOW! I am impressed!
1) You offered an actual, for-real coffin on Woot.
2) As far as coffins go, it was affordable.
3) It sold out in 48 seconds!

You haven't lost your edge yet, Woot.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mdrcoast

Woot owes no statement, No Bags or No Monkeys. But seeing as these things made Woot very popular, I think it is a very bad call to make.

As I sit at my desk, sleep deprived as I waited for Monkeys that I give to all the local kids for Christmas as I have done for years, I realize there is a fundamental change at Woot. Maybe a new business model to attract different customers or maybe Amazon demanding change.

The best thing about the Woot off now is the song, but that is not enough to keep me interested to sit and watch items come and go. Docks for I Devices? How many do you need to sell? A bacon themed Woot Off that offers only a handful of Bacon related items? I think the coffin represented more than the death of the Bacon Meme, but maybe the death of the Woot of old.

I am not going to say those 3 words that inevitability get posted at the end of every Woot off, but I also will not lose much sleep any more as this morning I am dead tired with only images of a coffin, that I really want to take a nap in.

There will be more sites that takes Woot's place but we will all miss the beauty and innocence of woot of old.

Woot, we will miss you. The new design and server structure is a giant step backward. I gave it a chance but my mind is made up. I am not going away mad, just sad. If you sell those first aid kits again, I will be the first to buy them. In the meantime, I will use Woot to its best ability, reading product write ups and discussions while in the bathroom.

Woody1150

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Woody1150
mdrcoast wrote:In the meantime, I will use Woot to its best ability, reading product write ups and discussions while in the bathroom.

Instant classic!

bonesandjones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bonesandjones
mdrcoast wrote:Woot, we will miss you. The new design and server structure is a giant step backward.

I disagree with that statement. I like the new design(I know, I'm a conformist).
But, I have noticed many of the same problems that others have posted. The great deals that got me hooked on Woot just seem to be gone. Many seem like I could get the same deal if I just used a coupon at the local supermarket. But I guess that's the price they had to pay since Woot grew so big. Should we really expect them to be able to get 5000 units of 60" LED HDTV's for $200? They can't get away with those super good deals in small quantities anymore. They'd sellout too quick and no one would have a reason to return to the site.

Fuersty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fuersty
mdrcoast wrote:

I think the coffin represented more than the death of the Bacon Meme, but maybe the death of the Woot of old.

There will be more sites that takes Woot's place but we will all miss the beauty and innocence of woot of old.

Woot, we will miss you. The new design and server structure is a giant step backward. I gave it a chance but my mind is made up. I am not going away mad, just sad.

Nicely said... it saddens me that what was fun and exciting to read and follow has turned into just another website that sells junk. With all the changes, maybe they should change the branding name and start fresh. Bye Woot... it was fun while it lasted.

zott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zott

This is not a Biology or Chemistry post. I have been checking woot daily for six years and have seen woot change...from great, to average...to...an amazon clone.

Woot-offs and woot in general used to be interesting, even without the Bundles of Crayons Lately the items haven't been really awesome, been priced well, or even been interesting. Sure a bacon coffin is a good laugh but most of what comes now is pretty pedestrian.

Woot has jumped the shark. Sorry to see it go.

pg318

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318
kippyj wrote:How many? I decorated my tree with them last December, b/c I have all of them and didn't know what else to do with them.

That sounds sad, huh?

It's not that hard to sound like "crazy cat lady, huh?" w00t used to be fun.

I do the same, with a large flying monkey perched at the top, and its smaller brothers on the rest. Since I've kinda lost interest in following the wootoffs now I'd probably miss the monkeys if they came up anyway....

Coogles

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Coogles
alanhwoot wrote:There wasn't one in July. Since the June one, all of the Bags of Crap have been via Facebook/Twitter.

I managed to get one from the Twitter feed earlier this month, but only because they initially put up a broken link and I just happened to be still trying when they fixed it.

SuperTully

quality posts: 32 Private Messages SuperTully

I have to agree with everyone's distaste for Woot's latest business practices. Let's face it, they no longer offer the unique bargain rarities we used to love. Now, when I load their website I see nothing but SPAM in my face and a wealth of very common product offerings from shirts to domestic goods.

Even their Bundles of Crayons have become common grab bags of cheap mass produced merchandise in new condition. What happened to the bags of broken electronics and shockingly odd items?

I'm sorry, but those of you who defend Woot as if it's still the site we grew to love (which seems like ages ago now) come across as people just trying to impress Woot so that they'll magically receive some special favor or Bundles of Crayons (which isn't going to happen).

I suppose I will say that at least Woot still has a sense of humor with their product descriptions, but beyond that my respect is really waning.

NJT - Woot!

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737

As someone who's been around Woot a while, and has seen some changes with it through time (especially the most recent ones), I'd like to offer my opinion about some of the complaints.

#1 - Nowhere does it say that Woot has to offer the Holy Grail of Woots (and you know which one I mean, and I was lucky enough to get one quite a while ago) in every WootOff. Yes, they were often there in most of the previous WootOffs, but they're not obligated to do so. Same for the monkeys - I was hoping for a "porkish" cape as well, but it didn't happen - my life goes on.

#2 - As to the flashing lights continuing after the "Coffin de Lardon" sold (and I was involved in some discussion of this last night), I now wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that there were still items going on the Home and Kids sites - just a thought.

Look - Woot's not going to be able to keep everyone happy. As a company, their primary purpose is to keep their shareholders happy. Do the item write-ups take a bit more effort to find - yes. Do we miss the "Friday Photo-Chops" - yes. Is the $5 shipping for everything you buy from multiple Woot sites in one day really nice - yes.

There will be changes that upset some of us. There will be changes that make a lot of us happy. Go with the flow, appreciate Woot for what it is, and remember that sometimes, you don't need Bacon Salt, Leak Frogs, or a SanDisk Sansa MP3 player, but for some strange reason, you still click because "I WANT ONE".

duodec

quality posts: 14 Private Messages duodec
mndvs737 wrote:Is the $5 shipping for everything you buy from multiple Woot sites in one day really nice - yes.

I really like that one in principal but as it worked out, after buying my first item, the subsequent two purchases attempted died in repeated server failures. One at the last big gold button (repeatedly), the other just clicking the initial 'want one' button. Kinda like buying an expensive soda that provides 25 cent refills for the rest of the day and so making it a great deal, but the soda machine is broken every time you try to get one.

I absolutely do not ascribe that to foul play, as both items sold quickly and lots of people reported similar problems. Its still a disappointment, especially given the resources that now could (should?) be backing Woot.

And FWIW I didn't expect to see Bundles of Crayons in this Wootoff because of the previous week. However Woot dissed anyone not using Facebook; they only posted the Bundles of Crayons announcement once on Twitter; all subsequent were (as far as I've heard) facebook only.

Look upon my Avatar, ye whiny, and despair!

jasong21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasong21

Man, I bet this buried the Woot Off!

dracodrago

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dracodrago

With the way the woot-offs have declined maybe it's for the best to just stop doing them for good. Or maybe it's the death of the bad woot-offs to bring back the good ones? One way or another Woot should try listening to it's customers and try using good customer service. Give us a woot-off we would actually like. Bring back the crap bags, stop repeating garbage like Mad Catz headphones and the same kind of items over and over and over. Add something new, we don't need to constantly see that War DVD collection, try adding new DVD collections, try adding new kinds of electronics, I think by now basically every single person on woot owns a Roku we don't need to see any more of them ever again. Try to mix things up a little, woot-offs are getting to be stale and repetitive. Sure the bacon themed was new, but not exactly in a good way since there really wasn't that many bacon items.

draigun

quality posts: 29 Private Messages draigun
SuperTully wrote: Let's face it, they no longer offer the unique bargain rarities we used to love. Now, when I load their website I see nothing but SPAM in my face and a wealth of very common product offerings from shirts to domestic goods.

So.. A half-price bacon coffin is not unique or rare enough for you? I guess Woot can't please everyone.

hellotoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hellotoe

So many still oblivious...

andypasto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andypasto

*sigh* just another Deal of the Day clone now. The charm and great copy is missing now, and I'm actually kind of sad to remove woot! from my bookmarks.

Matt Rutledge, CEO, is nobody's fool. If Amazon offered me $110,000,000 for my brain-child, I'd take the bacon and run, too.

mdrcoast

quality posts: 16 Private Messages mdrcoast
hellotoe wrote:So many still oblivious...

Enlighten me....

Geethatsgr8

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Geethatsgr8
dracodrago wrote:Give us a woot-off we would actually like. Bring back the crap bags, stop repeating garbage like Mad Catz headphones and the same kind of items over and over and over. Add something new, we don't need to constantly see that War DVD collection, try adding new DVD collections, try adding new kinds of electronics, I think by now basically every single person on woot owns a Roku we don't need to see any more of them ever again. Try to mix things up a little, woot-offs are getting to be stale and repetitive. Sure the bacon themed was new, but not exactly in a good way since there really wasn't that many bacon items.

I totally agree. The repetitiveness gets really old. I don't remember the old Woot taking so long to mark things down that simply weren't selling. The War DVD's being one example. Mark those things down to $7 and get rid of them already! Just as I would walk past them if I saw them in a brick and mortar store for months on end, I quickly bypass them online, too. I used to check Woot-off's via every tablet, phone and PC in my house nonstop...and would lose sleep for fear of missing something "good". Not just a bowl of cereal, but ANYTHING. A rare item, an extraordinary deal, or something I never even realized I needed. Nowadays, it's the same old stuff, expensive stuff, or iStuff. Even their shirts have gone to c rap. It's sad when a kid's size-6 shirt is as wide as a 4/5, yet as short as a 2t/3t. What a letdown.

mndvs737

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mndvs737
dracodrago wrote:...stop repeating garbage like Mad Catz headphones and the same kind of items over and over and over. ...

I guess you're not familiar with Leak Frogs, SanDisk Sansa MP3's, the old days of Roombas (I think there was one WootOff a while ago that had 6 or 7 different Roombas - and that WootOff only lasted 1 day, not 3 days across 5 sites), etc.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
mndvs737 wrote:I guess you're not familiar with Leak Frogs, SanDisk Sansa MP3's, the old days of Roombas (I think there was one WootOff a while ago that had 6 or 7 different Roombas - and that WootOff only lasted 1 day, not 3 days across 5 sites), etc.

Oh, to hear the forum moan about the roombas and how every leakfrog was a wootkill... Man, those were the days.

XD

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley

I need a replacement for my Sansa. If they don't show up soon I'll just have to purchase one somewhere else. sigh

TaterTot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages TaterTot

I'm almost glad there aren't bags of crap anymore. Now I don't have to stay up too late monitoring a woot off and spending far too much money on things I don't need.

doc362

quality posts: 4 Private Messages doc362
TaterTot wrote:I'm almost glad there aren't bags of crap anymore. Now I don't have to stay up too late monitoring a woot off and spending far too much money on things I don't need.

I can agree with that. I was in and out of this woot off just to see what was available, but I think their shirts are the only thing they really have to offer me now.

No more marking the calendar for suspected woot off dates or even keeping a computer on and browser window open.

The deals, along with the bacon, are dead.