3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Kite Train
$14.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

erick99

quality posts: 21 Private Messages erick99

Great.

Erick R Williams
Only worry about the present. The past is over and the future will be the present soon enough

snechla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snechla

In Memoriam of All Things Bacon, Fly a Kite Train!

awnree1

quality posts: 9 Private Messages awnree1

These could make kite fighting a little more interesting.

twitter is the dumbest F%#$ing thing that ever happened to the internet.

mickael

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mickael

I purchased some a smaller paper version of these in China and they were fun while they lasted. The specs don't spell out what these are made out of. Are they really worth $25? The cheap paper ones in China didn't last but I did get my two dollars worth of enjoyment.

paulitomang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulitomang

I don't understand - are these made out of bacon, are they bagless with pet-hair attachments, or do they run an old version of Android? I need to know what these are!

vipermjb

quality posts: 40 Private Messages vipermjb

I shall purchase a Canadian and American flag train and duel them to see which country shall reign supreme!

kcostell

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kcostell

People all over the world
Join hands
Start a Kite Train, Kite Train.

firebeyer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages firebeyer

This is a heck of a deal when you compare it to Kite Train's retail prices. http://www.kite-train.com/buy-kite-train/14-american-flag-kite-train.html

darkinc

quality posts: 31 Private Messages darkinc

In lieu of all the snarky comment that have been removed...

Let's go buy a kite
From the greatest site
Let's go buy a kite
And send it slowwwly

Send it from Dallas
On its way to our houses
Oh, let's go buy a kite
Let's go buy a kite!

lstaff

quality posts: 200 Private Messages lstaff

I always had trouble flying kites until i got a farm that is, essentially, a wind tunnel. Now, kites TAKE OFF when you don't even want them too.

Even though their product video states "a gentle breeze" is all you need, my limited experience is that you need some CONSISTENT wind to get a kite to fly.

I'm just putting this out there in case someone is hesitating based on their previous lack of success; it's them (the wind conditions), not you.'

just my $.02

and, actually, for the record, I'm feeling pretty good that i didn't miss out on a Biology or Chemistry!

tcope

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tcope

I've bought kite trains like this in the past directly from China. Those required assembly. I'm not sure about these. You needed to tape bamboo sticks to each kite as well as all of the tails. You then needed to thread the kite line through each kite. It was easy but took some time. I think these will be the same way but I don't know for sure. The issue with buying the kites from China... the shipping costs were as much as the kites.

Kite trains are fun and fly in lower winds (4-7mph, perhaps 10mph) as each one create some pull which is multiplied. Best way to keep them neat is to bring them down into a larger cardboard box. You then remove them one at a time and launch then as you remove them (remove one into the air, then move onto the next one).

I've been flying kites for about 15 years and kite trains are still some of my favorites.

[MOD: Just FYI, these are preassembled and strung together. They are also made out of plastic and not paper.]

tatterbits

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tatterbits

These look really cool, but how practical are they to store ?? Seems a huge nightmare reeling them in.

awnree1

tcope wrote:I've bought kite trains like this in the past directly from China. Those required assembly. I'm not sure about these. You needed to tape bamboo sticks to each kite as well as all of the tails. You then needed to thread the kite line through each kite. It was easy but took some time. I think these will be the same way but I don't know for sure. The issue with buying the kites from China... the shipping costs were as much as the kites.

Kite trains are fun and fly in lower winds (4-7mph, perhaps 10mph) as each one create some pull which is multiplied. Best way to keep them neat is to bring them down into a larger cardboard box. You then remove them one at a time and launch then as you remove them (remove one into the air, then move onto the next one).

I've been flying kites for about 15 years and kite trains are still some of my favorites.

I have only flown a kite once in my youth, in your opinion, is a kite train manageable/suggested for a newbie?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Fountain3586

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Fountain3586

In the state of nebraska we get a lot of wind... I live near coucil bluffs, a train town in iowa. I've never seen a pig fly, but a flying train would be just as cool. Thx woot...

Favorite Woots: The First Years miSwivel Feeding Chair, Kiddy Sport’n Move Stroller, Sacs of Life Insulator 4 Reusable Shopping Bags, Daiwa Golf Bag, Energizer Light on Demand Twin Light Center, Ooma Telo ViIP Home Phone System, and a Stainless Steel Designer 6 Ounce Flask.

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
awnree1 wrote:I have only flown a kite once in my youth, in your opinion, is a kite train manageable/suggested for a newbie?

Probably not the "best" first kite. (I'd suggest a 4-6' delta.) But these shouldn't be too bad. The biggest trick is nice smooth wind. Gusts or turbulence will drive you crazy. (Or provide a challenge as you gain experience.) Avoid buildings, trees, or hills immediately upwind that will cause the wind to swirl. (E.g. on a football field, with the wind along the length, fly from the far 35 instead of the near goal line. It gives more time for the wind to smooth out.)

awnree1

ledastray wrote:Probably not the "best" first kite. (I'd suggest a 4-6' delta.) But these shouldn't be too bad. The biggest trick is nice smooth wind. Gusts or turbulence will drive you crazy. (Or provide a challenge as you gain experience.) Avoid buildings, trees, or hills immediately upwind that will cause the wind to swirl. (E.g. on a football field, with the wind along the length, fly from the far 35 instead of the near goal line. It gives more time for the wind to smooth out.)

Thank you!

therealjrn

quality posts: 39 Private Messages therealjrn

I think they forgot and left some of last night's description on there:
"Their gentle pull and the cascading effect of your hand’s movements provide a truly unique sensation."

1st Birthday of Celebrations finally! Happy 10th Woot!

WakeUpNeo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WakeUpNeo
paulitomang wrote:I don't understand - are these made out of bacon, are they bagless with pet-hair attachments, or do they run an old version of Android? I need to know what these are!

They'll only run on a Mac!

harobikes333

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harobikes333

I live in North Dakota.... so 25mph winds will carry me to the next state over... :/ ?

tcope wrote:I've bought kite trains like this in the past directly from China. Those required assembly. I'm not sure about these. You needed to tape bamboo sticks to each kite as well as all of the tails. You then needed to thread the kite line through each kite. It was easy but took some time. I think these will be the same way but I don't know for sure. The issue with buying the kites from China... the shipping costs were as much as the kites.

tcope

Found a pic of my kite train:

http://www.utahkitefliers.org/train.jpg.

These are different in that they are "rice" paper. The ones for sale here are made of plastic and more durable.

tcope

harobikes333 wrote:I live in North Dakota.... so 25mph winds will carry me to the next state over... :/ ?

I've flow in Wyoming winds which start at 25mph.... on a slow day. These would survive about 2 seconds in that wind.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron
harobikes333 wrote:I live in North Dakota.... so 25mph winds will carry me to the next state over... :/ ?

Heh heh, a fellow NoDakotan. I'd totally get one of these to fly at work, but I don't think airport security would find it to be very funny.

mmecharles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmecharles

My boyfriend and I are pretty big into kiting and last summer we saw a kite train and he told me that he had wanted one. I guess I'm just getting my Christmas shopping for him done early...

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

Okay so can a 50 lb kid do a kite train or will it relocate him to another county?

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

cvcoast

quality posts: 16 Private Messages cvcoast

I was going to get this until I read the posts indicating it might not do well in winds above 10mph.
I live on the Oregon coast and kiting (and some of the kites) are huge here, because of the wind and the open beaches.
I'm talking serious wind..daily. I haven't had a good hair day since 1999 when I lived in Portland.

vgatorman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vgatorman

Great for the beach, or a hurricane!

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
ThunderThighs wrote:

Love this video/tune....it may be the hour but I've played it a few times

chubechpmnk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chubechpmnk

Didn't GNR sing about this??

"I fly a kitetrain,
It floats up,
I fly a kitetrain,
With my pup,
I fly a kitetrain,
It just won't crash and burn!!"

adventureinc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adventureinc

Would it be able to lift and carry a gopro camera?

FlamingoNut

quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

I see this as being a royal pain in the arse to bring back down.

cmawoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cmawoot

I just saw one of these the other day. It looked awesome.

maza2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maza2002

I love to fly kites, however locally, many of the state beaches and parks have banned them from being flown. This has actually created several movements to help change this rule. Make sure you call ahead to check whether or not you can actually fly your kite at certain locations.

thunderdog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages thunderdog
Boxymoron wrote:Heh heh, a fellow NoDakotan. I'd totally get one of these to fly at work, but I don't think airport security would find it to be very funny.

Imagine that, both N. Dakotans on one comment string.. the impact of woot on the US economy (or at least North Dakota's) cannot be overstated.

tcope

adventureinc wrote:Would it be able to lift and carry a gopro camera?

It's really not practical with a train as it would take many of them to create enough lift. You'd need to have many above the camera and many below the camera. The camera would also be bouncing all around as each kite bobbed in a different direction due to the weight.

tcope

FlamingoNut wrote:I see this as being a royal pain in the arse to bring back down.

It takes a little practice but it's not difficult. You reach up and grab the line next to one kite and pull it into your chest flat against the last kite. You then hold the pulled in kites with the other hand and repeat. It's easier to pull them in one at a time into a box but it can be done either way. The key is to not accidentally let go of the stack. The line between the kites is short enough that it really does not tangle.

tcope

beck12 wrote:Okay so can a 50 lb kid do a kite train or will it relocate him to another county?

He should be just fine. The risk is that he'd let go once all of the kites were out... but that is the part of learning. A train is not something anyone should run with... and kids like to do this... as the kites will then "dance" and the tails will wrap. I'd not recommend that a small child (under 10 years?) launch or pull the kites in by him/herself. An adult should assist.