quality posts: 4 Private Messages pturner3

I'm afraid KNOT!

onon hlmo2h3 : )~

texmhess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages texmhess

Will it work with a Zune?

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

I was really hoping woot would be filtering the word 'bacon' now that bacon days are officially over.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jaymanmsu wrote:I was really hoping woot would be filtering the word 'bacon' now that bacon days are officially over.

That's not a bad idea...

I'm just hanging out, really.

fourgun123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fourgun123
vipermjb wrote:I shall purchase a Canadian and American flag train and duel them to see which country shall reign supreme!

Never, I mean never use the word shall TWICE in the same sentance!!!

Mischief101

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Mischief101

Will it work with my Mac?

PAPOY!

dipdac

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dipdac

early spring shopping?

purrydaze

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purrydaze

Not enough info given on these kites! What is the kite fabric? Is it ripstop, or will I get a pile of junk plastic? What is the dimension of each kite? How far apart is each kite? For avid kite flyers, these are need to know!

tcope

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tcope
purrydaze wrote:Not enough info given on these kites! What is the kite fabric? Is it ripstop, or will I get a pile of junk plastic? What is the dimension of each kite? How far apart is each kite? For avid kite flyers, these are need to know!

They are made of plastic. Not as durable as nylon but with a little care there should be little reason for them to become damaged. Also, as they are plastic, some clear tape can be used for repairs.

The video gives a good idea of the size of the kite... about 12" tall and 8" wide. Tails are about 2' long.

If there are 50 kites and lead out 200' than each kite is about 4' apart.

inkycatz

dipdac wrote:early spring shopping?

It's good to be prepared on day 1 instead of having to shuffle around to shop - instead, you get to skip straight to the flying!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

I heard a friend of mine bragging about "pulling a train"; I didn't realize he was talking about kites!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

sfv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfv
beck12 wrote:Okay so can a 50 lb kid do a kite train or will it relocate him to another county?

Worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

sfv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfv
texmhess wrote:Will it work with a Zune?

Use the RCA to 1/4-inch adapters

DaZoneRanger

quality posts: 44 Private Messages DaZoneRanger

I'm actually looking to buy a kite, but this looks difficult for one person to get up into the air and it looks pretty flimsy, like the junky kite I bought from the dollar store.

chrismdusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismdusa

In for 2...a 25 kite rainbow one for my 7yr old daughter, and a 50 kite stars & stripes one for me! Will hopefully be flying them in Frederick, MD this fall!

tcope

DaZoneRanger wrote:I'm actually looking to buy a kite, but this looks difficult for one person to get up into the air and it looks pretty flimsy, like the junky kite I bought from the dollar store.

Well, "it's" not a $200 kite that is for sure.

While I've not flown this brand, the design is pretty much the same. Trains are a little more tricky then flying just one kite. You may need to launch it once or twice and then it will be very easy. Trains are nice as each kite requires just a little wind as they are light but flying several on one line means that they also have some nice pull. If there is a cross wind of choppy wind, they do well as each kite resists just a little.

The thing I like most about long train kites is that they are _very_ impressive... yet, they are still each very small kites. It's really cool to see how the train of kites curves due to the weight and different wind conditions at different hights.

These kites are going to be flat and are more forgiving design-wise then other cheap kites as they only rely on their angle to the wind to fly and there are so many of them.

I've mentioned in prior posts... a cardboard box makes flying much easier. Just pull out about 5 kites and get themto start flying. You then keep both hands on the line and pull out one kite at a time. To take down, just pull in one kite at a time and lay it flat in the box.

iamhappy726

quality posts: 10 Private Messages iamhappy726
texmhess wrote:Will it work with a Zune?

Not a Zune on the moon. There is no wind there.

lichme

quality posts: 2846 Private Messages lichme

Public Service Announcement

iamhappy726

lichme wrote:Public Service Announcement

Good advice. My neighborhood experienced a three hour outage due to a Mylar balloon that landed on an electric line.

inkycatz

lichme wrote:Public Service Announcement

That was cute.

infiznitity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infiznitity

In Beijing they sell these on the street in front of the Olympic stadium for $2.00. They are pretty cool, I've never seen them here in the US.

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
infiznitity wrote:In Beijing they sell these on the street in front of the Olympic stadium for $2.00. They are pretty cool, I've never seen them here in the US.

Picking those up would cost more than the savings, for most of us here.

From the description posted up thread, and having seen other cheap Chinese kites, I assume those are paper & bamboo. These should be more durable and better balanced (plastic & fiberglass being more uniform) and therefore require a lot less tuning, i.e. expertise, to fly.

Edit to add: ... and yes, kite trains are very cool.

zigibagido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zigibagido

Will it work with my kinII

PONIES!

zigibagido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zigibagido

Is it possible to fly these while they r on fire?

PONIES!

getheet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getheet

Do you have any that will work in my time zone?

nickbuol

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nickbuol

In for one 50-kite train. This will be a fun add on to my kite collection.

(2) HQ Symphony Beach 1.3 m
(1) HQ Symphony 2.2 m
(1) HQ Beamer IV 5.0 m
(1) Premire Osprey-Red Raptor
and now
(1) Kite-Train 50 kite train

Brigadier of Carolling - 11/17/06, 12/25/06, 1/31/07, 3/23/07, 4/1/07, 6/1/07, 7/12/07, 5/9/08, 11/20/08, 12/25/11 ** SlingBox Classic - 3/29/09 ** SanDisk Sansa M240 1GB MP3 x2 - 2/10/08 ** Maximo iM-490S iMetal Stereo Earphones - 1/16/08 ** SanDisk Sansa M240 1GB MP3 - 8/30/07 ** Roboraptor (Platinum) - 12/8/06 ** iRiver AFT100 Mobile FM Transmitter - 3/22/07 ** Downtown Shoot Out - 10/27/09 ** gTablet - 03/05/11 ** Kite Train - 08/23/12 ** Rolu 3 - 12/11/13

iamhappy726

zigibagido wrote:Is it possible to fly these while they r on fire?

You could always tie a key to them and fly them during a lightning storm.

imacrazycajun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imacrazycajun

A 50# kid should have no problem flying these. I would put a 9' delta on the top of these to lift that GoPro though.

tcope

imacrazycajun wrote:A 50# kid should have no problem flying these. I would put a 9' delta on the top of these to lift that GoPro though.

I'd not recommend a delta. A delta is going to have a different flight angle then the diamond kites. It will want to pull the kites probably at a higher angles of flight and screw up the flight of the diamond train. Also, a train is just not "correct" for lifting anything. The weight is still going to throw the train off (dipping the train greatly in the area that the cemera is attached), the trail is not as stable as other kites and the lnies used to attach the camera would probably become tangled in the train.

I'd recomemnd a sled be used to lift a camera. it's stable, inexpensive and has good lifting power.

sherisl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sherisl

We bought this kite train in June. I just came across this deal through facebook and decided to share the video and the fun!! As you can see in the video, my dog Elbi is a pro at flying this ! Although it would've been nice to pay Woot's price for it, I sincerely think the extra 2 months we've had it for was well worth the extra price!

Here is the video of Elbi flying the kite:

http://youtu.be/LALnmmbHHIU

sherisl

ledastray

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ledastray
sherisl wrote:We bought this kite train in June. I just came across this deal through facebook and decided to share the video and the fun!! As you can see in the video, my dog Elbi is a pro at flying this ! Although it would've been nice to pay Woot's price for it, I sincerely think the extra 2 months we've had it for was well worth the extra price!

Here is the video of Elbi flying the kite:

(I don't know what's going on,the link didn't work for me, but it looks different in the quote than in the previous message...)

For anyone else having trouble, this one works and seems to be the same video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LALnmmbHHIU

sherisl

umm, not sure how you guys get videos in there,why can't I? well, at least I tried, and there is no manual to read!

That is why I posted the link...

inkycatz

sherisl wrote:umm, not sure how you guys get videos in there,why can't I? well, at least I tried, and there is no manual to read!

That is why I posted the link...

It's all good! Just use (youtube=####)(/youtube)

You'll want to put the number of the video where the ### is, and brackets instead of parentheses.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
inkycatz wrote:It's all good! Just use (youtube=####)(/youtube)

You'll want to put the number of the video where the ### is, and brackets instead of parentheses.

When you enter your comment there's a link to the formatting guide which explains it all. The youtube embedding is fairly new, and fairly fun!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

alexdreamz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexdreamz

1. Thank you to the 15-year flier for some great tips!
2. Oregonian poster - I'm right there with you (though we had a blast flying Long Beach, WA last weekend)
3. My hope is that a train like this will be a winner in Seattle, where we've discovered our dual-line delta kites just don't like the gusts on Kite Hill -- or else they don't like our lack of experience! ;-)

MOD said plastic construction -- I'm guessing that means even if I restring with a heavier line, they still won't survive beach winds.... anybody disagree? Because my 6yo would be SOOO in love with me if I could make that happen!

clangaiscioch

quality posts: 8 Private Messages clangaiscioch

We have a few kites. One is a neat hawk that scares the living Hell out of the cat and a big, fancy one we got from Costco. It's a rather large "easy flyer" by Premier Kites.

I'm tempted. Would this hold up at all in Colorado winds? We live at the foot of the mountain, if that helps describe the insane winds.

tcope

alexdreamz wrote:MOD said plastic construction -- I'm guessing that means even if I restring with a heavier line, they still won't survive beach winds.... anybody disagree? Because my 6yo would be SOOO in love with me if I could make that happen!

The wind abuse on the train is the same as if you were flying one single kite from the train. I can't speak for the construction of this train but I'd rate it up to 10mph. I might go as high as 15mph but at that point I'd say you are pushing it being damaged. You may want to restring the train... heavier line at the bottom 1/2 of the train where the pull will be the strongest.

A good Dacron line will be much better then what comes with this kite (probably twisted line). I'd say 100lbs at the top and 200-300lbs at the bottom. This is for 10-15mph winds. If flying in 4-10mph, 100-150lbs line is just fine.

I'd say that the issue with the train and the stronger winds is more of how well the spars (probably fiberglass) are going to maintain the shape of the kite and not pop out of their pockets or distort to where the train does not fly very well.

enceesaid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enceesaid

Here's Elbi of West Seattle playing with her Kite-Train
She is a genius even for human's standards...if she can do it then wouldn't you think that I should be able to as well?

enceesaid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages enceesaid
enceesaid wrote:Here's Elbi of West Seattle playing with her Kite-Train
She is a genius even for human's standards...if she can do it then wouldn't you think that I should be able to as well?