ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

gannimo wrote:First of all, thanks for your answer. It is appreciated and I know that it wasn't Woot's fault.

I sent an email to rma@woot yesterday without a reply, I sent another email right now to service@woot and I hope that they might be able to help me.

I sent two more emails to Hisense guys (at www.consumerservicerefurbish.com ) and the only option they give me is to send the TV to Santa Fe Springs, CA. Which would cost around 150$ from my location.

So, I'm either stranded with a 255$ piece of trash or I can gamble to turn the piece of trash into a >400$ 40 inch TV without any warranty (as the warranty will be halfway up before the thing will be returned to me).

Yay, what an *awesome* deal /irony /sarcasm

Please let us know in this forum if you get a response and if you receive any further assistance

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

depinav

quality posts: 0 Private Messages depinav

Does anyone know how to get the Digital Audio Out work on the Hisense 40"? I plugged a digital coax audio cable to a converter then the optical out of that to a Vizio sound bar optical in and it doesn't seem to work. Any guidance would be appreciated.

gannimo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gannimo

Status update:

the only option we got from Sohnen (the company that handles the refurbished TVs) was to send it back at our expenses (aka 146$ plus packaging ~10-15$).

The price of the TV was 255$, so this is an 63% price increase to get a working TV and definitively not worth it! (For the price to get another refurbished TV I can already get a smaller working TV without additional gambling)

We decided to have a look inside and opened it up (I'm a CS major with strong EE background). First I must say that the TV was fairly old! We found lots and lots of dust inside, so it must have been standing in the open (and most presumably running) for >6 months or so.

We checked for any popped condensators (none), loose cables (none), or weak soldering spots (none). As we just moved to California from out of country I have almost no tools at hand and I'll have to buy a multimeter and all that stuff again.

But let me just say: Hisense sucks, buying refurbished TVs sucks, and getting poor customer service sucks even more.

If I count the hours that I have already spent and will most presumably spend to get a running TV I would be better of with just throwing it into the trash and buying a non-woot TV in the first place (with a real store front where you can just bring the TV).

Sincerly, a sad sad sad wooter

theycallmechad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages theycallmechad
theycallmechad wrote:So I just go my Heisense (spelling?) TV today. Although it has some scratching on the back from a previous owner's mounting attempts, I absolutely love the thing; however, for some dad-gum reason (do people still use that expression?) the remote won't work. I tried new batteries, old batteries, and still nothing happens. I even looked at the IR transmitter at the end of the remote through my cell phone camera, pressed all kinds of buttons, and saw that there was nothing going on there (if you haven't tried that with a remote before, it's kind of fun). What sort of hoops do I need to jump through to get a new remote?

How long does it generally take to get a reply? I sent an Email to support@woot.com and have gotten as much help so far as I've received on this forum: none. Are remote controls just not considered big enough issues to address here? I tell you what, it sure is a drag having a wall-mounted TV in the bedroom when you have to get out of bed just to change the channel/volume/input/power. What do you suggest? How long does it generally take Woot Support to reply?

theycallmechad

gannimo wrote:Status update:

the only option we got from Sohnen (the company that handles the refurbished TVs) was to send it back at our expenses (aka 146$ plus packaging ~10-15$).

The price of the TV was 255$, so this is an 63% price increase to get a working TV and definitively not worth it! (For the price to get another refurbished TV I can already get a smaller working TV without additional gambling)

We decided to have a look inside and opened it up (I'm a CS major with strong EE background). First I must say that the TV was fairly old! We found lots and lots of dust inside, so it must have been standing in the open (and most presumably running) for >6 months or so.

We checked for any popped condensators (none), loose cables (none), or weak soldering spots (none). As we just moved to California from out of country I have almost no tools at hand and I'll have to buy a multimeter and all that stuff again.

But let me just say: Hisense sucks, buying refurbished TVs sucks, and getting poor customer service sucks even more.

If I count the hours that I have already spent and will most presumably spend to get a running TV I would be better of with just throwing it into the trash and buying a non-woot TV in the first place (with a real store front where you can just bring the TV).

Sincerly, a sad sad sad wooter

You should have waited for a response from Woot Support. You may gave just voided the warranty. So sorry about your troubles. It's a bummer of a deal for sure.

gannimo

theycallmechad wrote:You should have waited for a response from Woot Support. You may gave just voided the warranty. So sorry about your troubles. It's a bummer of a deal for sure.

I first did some research before I removed the stickers. In the US "warranty void if seal broken" stickers are not legally binding. The warranty is only void if you open the *thing* and break it. As long as you know what you are doing (and I assume that I know how to repair most gadgets and to properly ground myself considering that I'm an CS/EE major with lots of gadget experience). For this TV it's just not worth spending so many hours trying to find and to replace the high frequency component that failed. And as I'm only in the US for a year or so I did not bring all my gadgets (multimeter and stuff) so the only thing I did was checking for popped caps, loose cables, and a visual inspection of the soldering joints (without touching, twiggling, or oterwhise tweaking the board in any way). Nothing that could break the warranty. So I *should* be fine (according to all the legalese I read).

On the other side: woot answered (thanks woot: you are awesome!) and sent me a prepaid sticker to send the TV back to them. We know bought a different TV (to get a new box ;) ) and are packing it up to send it off tomorrow. I hope that all works out and I will keep you guys posted!

(To answer an earlier question: service@woot took ~1 day to answer, the email came in 2 hours after we opened and inspected the TV, an email sent one day earlier to rma@woot was not answered - so I waited >2 days before acting).

theycallmechad

Well I'm glad it's working out for you! It sounded like a scary deal. Fortunately you'll get it taken care of, though it stinks you're without your new TV for a few more weeks.

I wish I was having the same luck (not that my issue is as big as yours). I emailed service@woot.com Thursday and so far nobody has responded. Not only thyt but you are the only person on these forums who has not ignored me. Where I was initially optimistic about the Woot service, I am gradually losing confidence in their customer service abilities.

At this rate, the best thing I can do is hope my TV breaks down within the first 90 days so I can get the thing sent back. Maybe they'll send me a new TV that has a working remote! (Wootfolk, please understand this is sarcasm and not a self-proposed resolution to my problem.)

Woot, where are you on this one?

flip34

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flip34

here is my problem! upon repeated calls to fedex i am told the truck carrying my tv was in an accident and all its cargo was damaged! they told me to contact woot and they must file a claim with fedex. will i be sent a new tv and how long am i going to have to wait?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

theycallmechad wrote:Well I'm glad it's working out for you! It sounded like a scary deal. Fortunately you'll get it taken care of, though it stinks you're without your new TV for a few more weeks.

I wish I was having the same luck (not that my issue is as big as yours). I emailed service@woot.com Thursday and so far nobody has responded. Not only thyt but you are the only person on these forums who has not ignored me. Where I was initially optimistic about the Woot service, I am gradually losing confidence in their customer service abilities.

At this rate, the best thing I can do is hope my TV breaks down within the first 90 days so I can get the thing sent back. Maybe they'll send me a new TV that has a working remote! (Wootfolk, please understand this is sarcasm and not a self-proposed resolution to my problem.)

hmm. i get the sense that you'll be advised to contact Hisense directly, since they are the keepers of the remote controls.

that said, i will of course pass this along to our customer service peeps.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

gannimo

theycallmechad wrote:Well I'm glad it's working out for you! It sounded like a scary deal. Fortunately you'll get it taken care of, though it stinks you're without your new TV for a few more weeks.

Well, I see several solutions for your problem: buy a universal remote (10$ or so, so any time you invest emailing them will already cost you more than the remote).

Service@woot is not for HW repairs or defects, it is only used if you have troubles with the manufacturer. You'll have to contact Sohnen on http://consumerservicerefurbish.com and get them to send you a repair number. You can then send them the defective remote (on your cost) and you might get a new remote in a couple of days/weeks or so.

So: as a remote only costs about 10$ or so you should just buy a universal one and forget the troubles.

eightyh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eightyh

My Full HD 1080P Hisense 42" TV doesn't want to display a 1080p signal, only 1080i and lower. Trying to decide if I care.

theycallmechad

PemberDucky wrote:hmm. i get the sense that you'll be advised to contact Hisense directly, since they are the keepers of the remote controls.

that said, i will of course pass this along to our customer service peeps.

Hey, you're a champ. Thank you for acknowledging the issue. I still haven't heard from the Customer Service people but I suppose I'll try to call the manufacturer directly and go through the process of getting a working remote, up to the point that they want me to spend more money sending them back the old one.

Gannimo, thank you for the link. I will use it in my quest to get a working remote; I will not, however, purchase a new universal remote. I have a hard time paying extra for something everybody else got for the original price.

Sometimes you win out big with a refurbished item, other times you lose. I don't consider myself a loser in this deal at all, in spite of the broken remote and scratched TV body (screen's great, though).

Thank you all for your help.

msebolt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msebolt

Got the Vizio 46" 3D TV. Could not get it to power off or go into standby mode. The refurb place wanted me to pay to ship to them ($100+) and Woot only offers a refund. Does me no good in this condition so back to Woot it goes I guess. No more Woots for me.

Dell Dude

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

msebolt wrote:Got the Vizio 46" 3D TV. Could not get it to power off or go into standby mode. The refurb place wanted me to pay to ship to them ($100+) and Woot only offers a refund. Does me no good in this condition so back to Woot it goes I guess. No more Woots for me.

Sorry for the problems with the TV. Since we sell most items until gone, we often don't have a replacement item to send you. Again, apologies and I hope you'll give us another try.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gannimo

I hope that this is my last update (tm) ;)

On the 10th of September I got a reply from woot that allowed me to send the TV back. We packaged and shipped the TV on the 12th of September. The refund was processed yesterday and the order status changed from "shipped" to "refunded" today.

So it took them two weeks to process the RMA and I guess that this is OK (1 week shipping, 1 week processing to check if I didn't break it).

So, woot: you guys are awesome, thanks for the uncomplicated return (of the broken device).

Lessons learned:
* If something is refurbished and >100$ don't buy it as it's not worth the risk because the refurbishment centers will not care if the device is broken and you end up paying way more than the original 'new' price
* the woot people try to help you out if the problem was not your fault
* warranty for items you bought online sucks as you always have to pay for shipping
* woot already refunded the money to my account. awesome.

In the end I bought a new TV that was smaller (37") and cost 360$ (110$ more than the refurbished one from woot). We have warranty at a local store where we can just drop the TV when it breaks and I guess.

End of story: I'll continue to buy stuff from woot but I'll stay with the low-cost items.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

gannimo wrote:I hope that this is my last update (tm) ;)

On the 10th of September I got a reply from woot that allowed me to send the TV back. We packaged and shipped the TV on the 12th of September. The refund was processed yesterday and the order status changed from "shipped" to "refunded" today.

So it took them two weeks to process the RMA and I guess that this is OK (1 week shipping, 1 week processing to check if I didn't break it).

So, woot: you guys are awesome, thanks for the uncomplicated return (of the broken device).

Lessons learned:
* If something is refurbished and >100$ don't buy it as it's not worth the risk because the refurbishment centers will not care if the device is broken and you end up paying way more than the original 'new' price
* the woot people try to help you out if the problem was not your fault
* warranty for items you bought online sucks as you always have to pay for shipping
* woot already refunded the money to my account. awesome.

In the end I bought a new TV that was smaller (37") and cost 360$ (110$ more than the refurbished one from woot). We have warranty at a local store where we can just drop the TV when it breaks and I guess.

End of story: I'll continue to buy stuff from woot but I'll stay with the low-cost items.

sorry for all the turmoil. glad you're sticking around, even if it's not for the big ticket stuff.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.