3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
TomTom XL340S LIVE GPS
$54.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

iwinwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iwinwoot

Not gonna do it!

Amazon reviews scream bloody murder

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

I won't own a GPS until it comes with a GLADOS voice feature.

ckoobs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ckoobs

Would this work in Europe out of the box? I am going backpacking there and am tempted to get a GPS just so I know where I am in the cities/can get back to my hostel.

jrs1980

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jrs1980
bluejester wrote:I won't own a GPS until it comes with a GLADOS voice feature.

Aaaaand the only reason I've ever pondered getting a TomTom is for new Daria material.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt

LIVE Services renewal is actually $59.95 per year, according to http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=14&tab=100.

carstoons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carstoons

Live services cost 60 bucks a year. So it's like getting the Tom Tom for free.
P.S. I have had a Tom Tom for 3 years and love it. The google search is really great. Although if you have a smart phone it may not be so great for you.

jinsfch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jinsfch

Nope- this one is US, Mexico and Canada only.

ckoobs wrote:Would this work in Europe out of the box? I am going backpacking there and am tempted to get a GPS just so I know where I am in the cities/can get back to my hostel.

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
ckoobs wrote:Would this work in Europe out of the box? I am going backpacking there and am tempted to get a GPS just so I know where I am in the cities/can get back to my hostel.

I bought my 340S new in 2009 when android phones were pop quiz and expensive. It was one of the best Xmas presents for the entire family ever (my navigator concurs). Today, however, I'd take a very close look at unlocked quad-band gsm phones with google maps Summer's Over!

TomTom is a driver's GPS. It has this nifty feature of zooming in on multi-lane interchanges and highlighting the lanes you want to be in. Garmin has a better rep for hiking/marine etc. GPSes.

Either way Google maps is the only thing that's gonna work in Europe out of the box and have up to date maps. With TomTom (and presumably Garmin) extra maps are available for purchase at low $$s and so are map updates after the initial "free" period (yarr, matey).

carstoons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carstoons

I believe I have seen software to make your own voices don't remember where though

sjc3d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sjc3d

They may not have GLADOS, but they do have John Cleese (we have him on our other two TomTom GPSes).

rootatlocalhost

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost

Really Woot? I get "pop quiz" for "pop quiz", but "summer's over" for "first"?

garylehr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garylehr

I want to call the folks who live on Glasshouse St to tell them that they shouldn't ..... ah they must know by now

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rootatlocalhost wrote:Really Woot? I get "pop quiz" for "pop quiz", but "summer's over" for "first"?

Filters are fun!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

drorez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drorez

I bought a TomTom last time woot had it... it's not bad but it's not the best. I can't stand that it does not know how to say, "do a u turn", insted tom tom routes you all the way around the block... brainiacs. Also, if you are on a highway, it tells you to "stay to the right" every single god forsaken time there is an exit only lane coming up... this is annoying me so much I drive w the volume turned off on it. Nice hardware, terible software. You want quality, looks elsewhere. No way to change the setting either, those 2 flaws can NOT be changed.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Here it is from the tom tom website They really cram way more information than would could fit into their page, You could spend a good 10-20 minutes reading about this thing if you really wanted.

danbooke2001

quality posts: 4 Private Messages danbooke2001
drorez wrote:I can't stand that it does not know how to say, "do a u turn", insted tom tom routes you all the way around the block... brainiacs.

If there is a NO U-TURN sign, then it's illegal and I highly doubt Tom-Tom knows where all the no u-turn signs are in the country. Additionally in most states u-turns are illegal in the middle of the block. I guess Tom-Tom would rather err on not advising you to practice illegal driving habits...

Edit: I can only assume also that most GPSes think you are always driving forward, hence why it wouldn't have the "pull into someone's driveway, back out the opposite way, and continue going forward" instruction to turn around method either.

Kingu

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Kingu

I have to admit, I liked this unit. It worked, out of the box, beautifully. Only there was this fight between the smartphones and other handheld devices and the GPS unit. They all wanted the cigarette lighter, and NONE of them were anywhere near old enough to be using something like that.

But then a wise old man showed me the ways of the WAZE, and the war of the forbidden tobacco port was over. The smartphone won. Heck, it really was a no-brainer - I've got the smart phone in the car, I like to charge it in the car - since it's just kicking back while I'm doing the driving and sipping out the juice, well, it should be doing something. So I loaded up WAZE, and away went the GPS into someone else's car.

They love it, they don't have a smartphone.

So, yes, this is a great buy if you want a GPS unit in your car (and believe me, the first time your GPS unit steers you around an accident on the freeway, you'll NEVER want to go without it again..) But it really is for those who don't have a smartphone.

(By the by, best method of mounting the smartphone (or GPS) in the car I've found is a vent mounted bracket from a monoprice like vendor, and don't forget to make sure you've got a port for the cigarette lighter juice. Reason why I like vent mounted - it COOLS the unit when you've got the air on, which is pretty important when you're talking about a hot car and electronics. Plus it's NOT on the windshield, which in a whole lot of states is not exactly legal.)

mrarizona

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrarizona

My parents had a tom-tom in their car and I thought it was great... I've been looking around and this seems like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have and red flags that I should look at before purchasing this item?

shakinjake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shakinjake

I ride a motorcycle, is this device waterproof?

snydersteven

quality posts: 1 Private Messages snydersteven

the day I dumped my tomtom for a navigon was one of the happiest days of my recent life.

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

+++++++1

k1oik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages k1oik

Who buys a GPS, it is on all the phones

http://k1oik.freehostia.com/students/

addalight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages addalight

My friend has a TomTom. We tried using it once. We NEVER use her TomTom. We use my Garmin.

Smith

edwisch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edwisch

I bought a $35 TomTom here about a year ago. It was a real hit when I gave it away at a white elephant gift exchange with a supposed $10 limit. Using it once was enough...

aikensc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aikensc
carstoons wrote:Live services cost 60 bucks a year. So it's like getting the Tom Tom for free.
P.S. I have had a Tom Tom for 3 years and love it. The google search is really great. Although if you have a smart phone it may not be so great for you.

Are you required to pay $60 to renew each year or is the $60 a one time fee with yearly upgrades costing a small fee? That is the way I am reading from a couple comments.

darkhelmet72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkhelmet72
Kingu wrote:I have to admit, I liked this unit. It worked, out of the box, beautifully. Only there was this fight between the smartphones and other handheld devices and the GPS unit. They all wanted the cigarette lighter, and NONE of them were anywhere near old enough to be using something like that.

But then a wise old man showed me the ways of the WAZE, and the war of the forbidden tobacco port was over. The smartphone won. Heck, it really was a no-brainer - I've got the smart phone in the car, I like to charge it in the car - since it's just kicking back while I'm doing the driving and sipping out the juice, well, it should be doing something. So I loaded up WAZE, and away went the GPS into someone else's car.

They love it, they don't have a smartphone.

So, yes, this is a great buy if you want a GPS unit in your car (and believe me, the first time your GPS unit steers you around an accident on the freeway, you'll NEVER want to go without it again..) But it really is for those who don't have a smartphone.

(By the by, best method of mounting the smartphone (or GPS) in the car I've found is a vent mounted bracket from a monoprice like vendor, and don't forget to make sure you've got a port for the cigarette lighter juice. Reason why I like vent mounted - it COOLS the unit when you've got the air on, which is pretty important when you're talking about a hot car and electronics. Plus it's NOT on the windshield, which in a whole lot of states is not exactly legal.)

try this works great
http://lifehacker.com/5747897/how-to-build-a-car-mount-for-your-cellphone-from-office-supplies

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

OK, in the whole "garmin vs. TomTom" discussion. Let me say I'm a cab driver and I use my GPS extensively (12 hrs a day) my girlfriend has a garmin and I have a TomTom.

I love the TomTom much better. Sure hers has more fancy features, but the TomTom wins for me because it's much easier to put in your destinations quicker. When people tell me where they're going, I have it put in in less than 10 seconds.

Now if you don't use your GPS as much as I do, you may prefer the garmin. Their software for your desktop/laptop is intuitive and seems easier to use vs TomTom's.

in fer one

just my .02

now I gotta get back to work.

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

infiniteday

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infiniteday

One thing to consider that probably won't apply to most people: TomTom is a European company and I have an older TomTom that I bought the UK maps for last year. My wife and I have used it in both Scotland and Ireland for two consecutive years now with only one little hitch in Aberdeen, Scotland when it didn't know that two roads did not connect. Otherwise, it worked very well. Like most GPS's it had trouble in downtown Dublin when the streets got very narrow in between higher buildings but we did make it to our hotel. I imagine the newer models are probably better in this regard. If you're going to be heading to Europe and intend to drive then it may be something worth considering. Just a thought.

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999

Had my GPS unit stolen, so this is looking like a great cheap replacement for no more than I travel. I have always had Garmin before, and I know this sounds STOOOOOPID, but the voices Tom Tom offers.....can I download them to this model? Do all TomToms now take the voice add-ons? I truly don't know.

HEY - I SAID it was a stupid question!! Don't you judge me!!

But if anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it. I drive from West Virginia to Maine twice a year solo, and would love to have Billy Connoley and John CLeese keeping me company.

jeffrjohn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeffrjohn
edwisch wrote:I bought a $35 TomTom here about a year ago. It was a real hit when I gave it away at a white elephant gift exchange with a supposed $10 limit. Using it once was enough...

So you bought a $35 gift for a $10 gift exchange and made everybody else look cheap? There's always one.

karicowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karicowan

[quote postid="5144216" user="iwinwoot"]Not gonna do it! (Amazon reviews)

Poop on that. My roomy has one, and it works just fine. Sure it's a little slow to update but once it's done it's done. TomTom for $50? Ya I'll have one of those, thanks. :-)

rob3173

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rob3173

I hike a lot. I drive a lot. When I hike, I use a Garmin GPS. When I drive, I use a TomTom.

For those down on TomTom, nothing I say here will change your mind so I won't even waste my time. Garmin makes an awesome GPS for hiking, the best there is, but for driving, nothing beats a TomTom.

And for those who say they'd rather use their cell phones: if you stay in your safe little cell-tower friendly neighborhood or city, then fine. But just try, I dare you, just try driving to places I go to hike, .... and just try to get a cell signal! Then you'll wish you had my TomTom.

mjhead

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjhead
danbooke2001 wrote:If there is a NO U-TURN sign, then it's illegal and I highly doubt Tom-Tom knows where all the no u-turn signs are in the country. Additionally in most states u-turns are illegal in the middle of the block. I guess Tom-Tom would rather err on not advising you to practice illegal
driving habits...
Edit: I can only assume also that most GPSes think you are always
driving forward, hence why it wouldn't have the "pull into someone's driveway, back out the
opposite way, and continue going
forward" instruction to turn
around method either.

My TomTom 3.5" EASE (Woot 9/8/11 $35) knows when U turns are legal - - worked fine in New Mexico last week with their U turns.

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac

Hey Woot - can we go back to using bullet points to organize the product information for easy scanning. Also, the not-so-funny blurbs could use an upgrade...to someone else who writes somewhat-funny blurbs. If Shecky Green were alive, he'd would be better than whoever is writing this stuff. That is all.

WA8HHH

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WA8HHH

Cannot speak directly about this model but the TomTom I have is impossible to see in bright daylight. I put my older Nuvi back into service since at least the display was visible in the daytime.

tim74

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74

9 available "certified pre-owned" on Blinq for $40.39.

I haven't heard of them before but are rated 4.7 out of 5 as a seller on Amazon. Only 90 day warranty and looks like no live service included.

TomTom XL340S

robintrager

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robintrager

Dumb questions, but does this still work if you don't renew the subscription?

davidwg98

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davidwg98

This unit does not come with Lifetime Map updates (just a one-time update to be used immediately after activating it). As far as I can tell, it would cost $100 to update the maps. Is that right?