ivykeep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ivykeep
drorez wrote:I bought a TomTom last time woot had it... it's not bad but it's not the best. I can't stand that it does not know how to say, "do a u turn", insted tom tom routes you all the way around the block... brainiacs. Also, if you are on a highway, it tells you to "stay to the right" every single god forsaken time there is an exit only lane coming up... this is annoying me so much I drive w the volume turned off on it. Nice hardware, terible software. You want quality, looks elsewhere. No way to change the setting either, those 2 flaws can NOT be changed.

My Tom Tom tells me to "make a U turn" all the time (when I put in an unscheduled detour). It may be a model or software update issue, which reminds me, I have an update to do.

mgpaulus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mgpaulus
davidwg98 wrote:This unit does not come with Lifetime Map updates (just a one-time update to be used immediately after activating it). As far as I can tell, it would cost $100 to update the maps. Is that right?

Shouldn't be. If you use the Latest Map Guarantee to get your current map, then I believe it's only $72 for a year's worth of updates (4 updates, 1/quarter). Check out their Map Updates program. But you have to start with a current map, and then you should be able to just do the map updates. And sometimes they run a special where you get 6 maps for the price of 4.

smalltall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smalltall
davidwg98 wrote:This unit does not come with Lifetime Map updates (just a one-time update to be used immediately after activating it). As far as I can tell, it would cost $100 to update the maps. Is that right?

David has just focused on the very issue which is causing me to hesitate - the lack of lifetime updates. Magellan has the Roadmate 2045T-LM,which is comparable in every way, but WITH Lifetime maps and lifetime traffic for about $90 w/shipping on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-2045T-LM-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0052D38UE . My experience with Magellan has been excellent. Though my five-year-old unit is a bit long in the tooth, it still works as new - original battery and all!

I had hoped to stay near $50, but there just don't seem to be any Lifetime Maps in that price range. I gonna get the Magellan.

kensei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kensei
shakinjake wrote:I ride a motorcycle, is this device waterproof?

The TomTom website doesn't mention anything about water resistance, so my conclusion would be no water-resistance or -proofness.

About the only GPS for motorcycle specific applications is the Garmin Zumo models, but they are exponentially more expensive than a standard receiver.

You could also try a RAM AQUA BOX and the TomTom as a budget solution.

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

TomTom vs. Garmin user interface is a personal thing. Try them out for yourself.

Since my reading vision has moved south, I prefer a 5 inch screen, minimum.

Been using my smartphone but must have reading glasses on to do so.

In spite of loving the Waze NAV app on my phone, i'm thinking of picking up a 5+ inch screen GPS unit.

Ultraglyd

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Ultraglyd

If the download actually worked. Many user reviews on consumer reports suggest that the on-line updating service stands a good chance of bricking this unit. I'd stay away.

qex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages qex
smalltall wrote:David has just focused on the very issue which is causing me to hesitate - the lack of lifetime updates. Magellan has the Roadmate 2045T-LM,which is comparable in every way, but WITH Lifetime maps and lifetime traffic for about $90 w/shipping on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-RoadMate-2045T-LM-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0052D38UE . My experience with Magellan has been excellent. Though my five-year-old unit is a bit long in the tooth, it still works as new - original battery and all!

I had hoped to stay near $50, but there just don't seem to be any Lifetime Maps in that price range. I gonna get the Magellan.

I agree. I have a TOMTOM with lifetime maps and I spent $80 on Amazon. I get map updates every 3 months that are completely covered. Lifetime maps are definitely worth it and therefore I don't think this woot is that great a deal. Maps aren't cheap buying them individually.

My TOMTOM works great, so I can recommend the brand.

note2001

quality posts: 25 Private Messages note2001

Looks like us New England folks get lost on roads the most per the sales map. :/

dschreck

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschreck

Does if have canadian maps? or are those extra.....hey sometimes you just need to drive in canada

allykat26

quality posts: 3 Private Messages allykat26

Ok.... When we were in Texas for hurricane relief a few years back fema supplied us with tom toms for our ambulances. I can honestly say that my no name brand one got us back in the right track several times. I have never updated mine. Perhaps the live maps are much better but i did not care for tom. In fact the majority of our strike team took to calling him tard-tard. (however un-p.c. that may be)

aaronlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronlu

does it come with lifetime map?

LMNinMN

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LMNinMN

I bought this exact same model a couple of years ago for about $125. Been bled dry for about $140 each year since then for the map update service and the live updates.

Because I live in a metro area, I would use the live traffic updates to navigate through rush hour traffic, but in the past year or so it was basically useless because it would never connect to the server because the server was too overloaded. Trying to use TomTom's forums was a waste of several hours, and calling customer service was equally unhelpful, as the best answer they could give me for when it would be back online was "check back in a few days or so". Really? A couple of days for a premium service I am paying good money for? Towards the end, I was only connecting a few times per month, which basically makes it completely worthless.

Do yourself a favor, go with another brand other than TomTom and you won't have to go through what I did.

djrmsn

quality posts: 21 Private Messages djrmsn
shushine999 wrote:Had my GPS unit stolen, so this is looking like a great cheap replacement for no more than I travel. I have always had Garmin before, and I know this sounds STOOOOOPID, but the voices Tom Tom offers.....can I download them to this model? Do all TomToms now take the voice add-ons? I truly don't know.
But if anyone could answer, I would greatly appreciate it. I drive from West Virginia to Maine twice a year solo, and would love to have Billy Connoley and John CLeese keeping me company.

There are American and British speaking voices but celebrity ones must be purchased

thanig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thanig

That is my question as well. It sounds like you get one update and you are done? I cannot recommend that, as much as I like my TomTom.

mooz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mooz

I didnt realize that anyone still used these things. They were such a fad for a few years. Now with a smartphone that has gps,( a free download!!) I dont have to have that stupid thing slidding all around the dash of my car. I must say, I always found it to be annoying. With my phone,(AT&T Iphone) I never have to download updates and there are no fees involved.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Phones have gps, but these work better in cars w/ more robust receiver/antenna.

greenblaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenblaster
jeffrjohn wrote:So you bought a $35 gift for a $10 gift exchange and made everybody else look cheap? There's always one.

Michael Scott.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
k1oik wrote:Who buys a GPS, it is on all the phones

There are still a lot of reasons to own a dedicated GPS device like this:
* Limited data plan on a smartphone
* Driving where there is no cell signal
* Easier to read the screen on a GPS for a lot of people

Dozer11

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dozer11
sdwindansea wrote:There are still a lot of reasons to own a dedicated GPS device like this:
* Limited data plan on a smartphone
* Driving where there is no cell signal
* Easier to read the screen on a GPS for a lot of people

EXACTLY! Not to mention, if you don't have your phone charger, GPS on your phone drains your batteries so much it's not even funny. The data plan is what really gets bad too.

nancy33498

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nancy33498

TomTom directions are confusing. If a right turn has two options (like a fork in the road) and the TomTom says "turn right in 100ft" but not "turn right in 100ft onto Spring Road" you've got a 50/50 chance of screwing up.

Get a Garmin.

Nancy Snap

ltownsend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ltownsend
Kingu wrote: So I loaded up WAZE, and away went the GPS into someone else's car

Thanks for the tip - I tried WAZE out this morning and loved it!

haveabigjohnson

quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

MY 50TH WOOT! HOORAY FOR MONEY!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
haveabigjohnson wrote:MY 50TH WOOT! HOORAY FOR MONEY!

Aw yeah!

I'm just hanging out, really.

dewahba

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dewahba

it was completely impossible to download a map from Tom TOM, I thought the site was extremely hard to navigate. Of course some wooters complain about this new outlook to the woot web site, Try TomTom and you'll think woot is very easy to navigate.

kena02

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kena02

The cost is only $72. And $50 for another year of live updates. On sale you can get one with all perpetual updates for about $125 (see the TOM TOM outlet store).

This is a nice unit, but if you are going to use it for any length of time - the package deal is much better.

Ken Akin

fierytresses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses

Will I be able to add the dirt roads and trails in my town so I don't get lost?

fierytresses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses
mooz wrote:I didnt realize that anyone still used these things. They were such a fad for a few years. Now with a smartphone that has gps,( a free download!!) I dont have to have that stupid thing slidding all around the dash of my car. I must say, I always found it to be annoying. With my phone,(AT&T Iphone) I never have to download updates and there are no fees involved.

Not everybody has smartphones

NoahTall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NoahTall
rob3173 wrote:I hike a lot. I drive a lot. When I hike, I use a Garmin GPS. When I drive, I use a TomTom.

For those down on TomTom, nothing I say here will change your mind so I won't even waste my time. Garmin makes an awesome GPS for hiking, the best there is, but for driving, nothing beats a TomTom.

And for those who say they'd rather use their cell phones: if you stay in your safe little cell-tower friendly neighborhood or city, then fine. But just try, I dare you, just try driving to places I go to hike, .... and just try to get a cell signal! Then you'll wish you had my TomTom.

It this were a nail you would have hit it on the head.

damselfish65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages damselfish65

Be careful about making purchases here. The $17.99 weeding tool I bought friday has cost me in excess of $1400.00 thus far. THANKS WOOT.

colinlucas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colinlucas

There are cheaper (and nicer) refurb units on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150889452936?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_2296wt_1156

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
damselfish65 wrote:Be careful about making purchases here. The $17.99 weeding tool I bought friday has cost me in excess of $1400.00 thus far. THANKS WOOT.

Hi there,

If you're having a product issue, please contact service@woot.com.

Thanks.

I'm just hanging out, really.

jackfountain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackfountain

I've used Garmin, Navigon, and Tom Tom. I recommend that you look for the Tom Tom models that end in TM which [usually] means that Lifetime Traffic and Map updates are included. The price for a TM is a little less than twice the price of the non-TM. But, you'll get your money's worth by the second year. After that, you're ahead of the game.

jackfountain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackfountain
damselfish65 wrote:Be careful about making purchases here. The $17.99 weeding tool I bought friday has cost me in excess of $1400.00 thus far. THANKS WOOT.

One reason that I shop with WOOT is that they have always been MORE than fair on product replacement/returns. Your comment is very vague. HOW has it cost you $1400.00 thus far? That seems odd.

jupiterssj4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupiterssj4
rob3173 wrote:I hike a lot. I drive a lot. When I hike, I use a Garmin GPS. When I drive, I use a TomTom.

For those down on TomTom, nothing I say here will change your mind so I won't even waste my time. Garmin makes an awesome GPS for hiking, the best there is, but for driving, nothing beats a TomTom.

And for those who say they'd rather use their cell phones: if you stay in your safe little cell-tower friendly neighborhood or city, then fine. But just try, I dare you, just try driving to places I go to hike, .... and just try to get a cell signal! Then you'll wish you had my TomTom.

Google maps on cell phones has for a long time now pre-cached your trip when you make it so that if your signal goes away it will still get you there.

shulabill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shulabill

I have a Tom Tom and the windsheild mount is TRRRIBLE. The GPS pops out of the mount way to often and I have pull over and find it on the floor. I would never buy another Tom Tom.

ghengiskhan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghengiskhan

Really - they still sell these things?

RMadorin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RMadorin

Bought a Tom Tom years ago and loved it, now both cars have integrated navigation so I no longer use it locally. For plane travel and renting a car I use WAZE on the IPhone. If there is a passenger we use WAZE on the IPad. I do log out of WAZE on long stretches to save on the data plan.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
damselfish65 wrote:The $17.99 weeding tool I bought friday has cost me in excess of $1400.00 thus far. THANKS WOOT.

This from the cost of emergency room care from the injuries you received because of your failure to read (and follow!) the safety directions that came with the tool?
Of course, this is Woot's fault.
PLEASE don't purchase something *really* dangerous, like a Roomba.

southcutt

quality posts: 14 Private Messages southcutt
tim74 wrote:9 available "certified pre-owned" on Blinq for $40.39.

I haven't heard of them before but are rated 4.7 out of 5 as a seller on Amazon. Only 90 day warranty and looks like no live service included.

TomTom XL340S

That's not the 340S LIVE model that woot is offering but the regular 340S; not only does it not include LIVE service, it is not even capable of receiving it (no cellular modem).

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
jackfountain wrote:One reason that I shop with WOOT is that they have always been MORE than fair on product replacement/returns. Your comment is very vague. HOW has it cost you $1400.00 thus far? That seems odd.

I have a suspicious feeling that the original poster was being sarcastic. In other words stating that their initial purchase has let to many more unplanned purchases on Woot.