rjreisch


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjreisch

Can Woot confirm the "12 months of service included" for the TomTom Live service?

The TomTom Site for this model only states 3 Months of service included.
http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/xl-340s-live-series/#tab:highlights

This will have a significant impact on my decision to purchase.

Cheers,

tracy77


quality posts: 2 Private Messages tracy77

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I want to be clear before buying so any help is much appreciated.

I have an older basic tom tom model which I can connect to the internet and download the latest street updates, or I'm assuming that's what is being updated, for free. I have never needed to purchase any maps nor understand what that really means. Does it mean if I'm going to Europe, I can purchase a map for that country? Is that what is meant by the yearly fee, to purchase more maps?

So if I bought this and only used it for the united states, would I still be able to connect to the internet for free updates and would LIVE stop working if I don't pay more?

Thanks for helping my GPS stupidity.

Magauthe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Magauthe

Will this work out of the box or do I "have" to do the update right away?

KATANARYDA


quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA
rjreisch wrote:Can Woot confirm the "12 months of service included" for the TomTom Live service?




I'd like to know this also (since I already pulled the trigger)

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

alanhwoot


quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

The page linked above seems to be an old page (the product isn't for sale anymore). The current Live offerings do offer 1 year of live traffic.

No, this does not include lifetime maps (only certain models do). You get one free upgrade to the current map when you get it. European maps are available at extra cost.

The main complaints I've found are about it running out of memory when installing a map update, and recommend removing all but the basic voices when doing it.

wiley1woot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wiley1woot

WOW! Two TomTom's for the price of one Magellan update!

PemberDucky


quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

alanhwoot wrote:The page linked above seems to be an old page (the product isn't for sale anymore). The current Live offerings do offer 1 year of live traffic.



will try to confirm, but i believe this is the case.


-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

rjreisch


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjreisch
PemberDucky wrote:will try to confirm, but i believe this is the case.



Thanks for the reply! Hopefully the 12 Months of service is correct.

rjreisch


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjreisch
alanhwoot wrote:The page linked above seems to be an old page (the product isn't for sale anymore). The current Live offerings do offer 1 year of live traffic.



I agree that all newer TomTom devices come with 1 year of services however TomTom has been known to only allow the services that the original model was sold with.

I have used over 5 different TomTom models since 2006 and I have always been quite happy with them.

I am just looking for clarification before I hit buy.

Dozer11


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Dozer11
Magauthe wrote:Will this work out of the box or do I "have" to do the update right away?



It should work right out of the box. I have an older Garmin that hasn't been updated since 2006 and it still works. It's just not that important to me as the model is so old it doesn't do Traffic or Street Names.

blueemma


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blueemma

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS CAN BE USED INTERNATIONALLY,OR IF YOU CAN PURCHASE INTERNATIONAL MAPS????

rwdavis2


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwdavis2
k1oik wrote:Who buys a GPS, it is on all the phones



Try using one in southeast West Virginia. You end up driving off the map eventually.

tiffaniep


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiffaniep
rwdavis2 wrote:Try using one in southeast West Virginia. You end up driving off the map eventually.



Or the 4 corners region! No cell phone service, no phone gps.

Stanwootoff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stanwootoff
rwdavis2 wrote:Try using one in southeast West Virginia. You end up driving off the map eventually.



That's right. You really, truly, can't get there from here!

Colorodo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Colorodo

Under Features it states that 12 months of service is included.

dvdvija


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dvdvija

Hey Woot, this is great timing to sell gps. My Garmin is getting too old. I hope this Tomtom works well. I'm taking a chance.

lilguy1991


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lilguy1991

I meant to purchase the TomTom but forgot to while I was writing a paper. Is anyone who bought it willing to sell it? I would pay for shipping and cover your purchase price. Really wanted it, just forgot and thought I'd ask around.

IGetUp


quality posts: 3 Private Messages IGetUp
k1oik wrote:Who buys a GPS, it is on all the phones



People like me who rely on a GPS that uses satellites instead of phone towers, that's who.

smokkeyy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smokkeyy

I received my TomTom XL340S today and plugged it into the computer for updates which went well. I am having an issue with the LIVE services that shows me Error Code 22 "Something wrong with your SIM card". Read the forum which reveals that I will have to call customer service and see if I can get the SIM card re-activated. Apparently the refurbished units have SIM cards that were once active and get shut down after 3 months. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this yet? Calling Customer service in the a.m. http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/Error-code-22-Something-wrong-with-your-SIM-card/m-p/3781#M139

ShortwaveUV


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShortwaveUV

I have the same SIM card error. Working with TOMTOM support via email. Hopefully they get it fixed.

bts7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bts7

GPS arrived today, cant for the life of me figure out how to get the 12 months of live data

mesa50


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mesa50
bts7 wrote:GPS arrived today, cant for the life of me figure out how to get the 12 months of live data




The guy on the phone at TomTom said something about a coupon in the box or a code number. Don't remember any such thing...

sithanas


quality posts: 7 Private Messages sithanas

Just got mine out of the box--no LIVE services voucher anywhere in the box. Also can't get the one-time map upgrade to work--it's prompting me to buy a map pack. Any help, woot?

ShortwaveUV


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShortwaveUV

I called TOMTOM customer service at 866-486-6866 and they were able to reset the SIM card. My LIVE services are now working great.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sithanas wrote:Just got mine out of the box--no LIVE services voucher anywhere in the box. Also can't get the one-time map upgrade to work--it's prompting me to buy a map pack. Any help, woot?

Try contacting TomTom as mentioned above by ShortwaveUV. They should be able to get you going. If not, contact service@woot.com for assistance.



FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cstrother1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cstrother1

I got that same error message when I received mine today. i already emailed service@woot (yeah trigger finger).
Will you will you please update with any response?
Thanks

*edited to add i just read the other posts and am calling TomTom.

smokkeyy wrote:I received my TomTom XL340S today and plugged it into the computer for updates which went well. I am having an issue with the LIVE services that shows me Error Code 22 "Something wrong with your SIM card". Read the forum which reveals that I will have to call customer service and see if I can get the SIM card re-activated. Apparently the refurbished units have SIM cards that were once active and get shut down after 3 months. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this yet? Calling Customer service in the a.m. http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/LIVE-Services-HD-Traffic-and/Error-code-22-Something-wrong-with-your-SIM-card/m-p/3781#M139



dealhawk


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dealhawk
shakinjake wrote:I ride a motorcycle, is this device waterproof?



Nope but you can buy a motorcycle mount that is water proof and put this inside. I also ride - alot. You can find them on ebay for around 30 bucks - or lots of other sites.

dealhawk


quality posts: 1 Private Messages dealhawk

So you opened your refurb tomtom and everything works but the live services? Getting error codes 22 or 107 (and others) and/or the message "There is something wrong with your sim card"? There is an easy fix - you are receiving these codes because the unit's live subscription was not factory reset when it was refurbished. You have to call tomtom customer support (USA # is 866-486-6866) and let them know your live services do not work. They may say it is subscription based and you have to pay - let them know you just purchased your unit. They will reset the SIM card and everything will work. Congratulations!

tstandefer75


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tstandefer75

Just received my TomTom and I can not find the activation code... Where is the activation code for the live subscription???

banddie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages banddie

error 22....

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

banddie wrote:error 22....


Try contacting TomTom as mentioned above by ShortwaveUV. They should be able to get you going. If not, contact service@woot.com for assistance.



FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

haveabigjohnson


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

I have not even been lucky enough to get to the error 22 code, yet. My touchscreen is way off, like two numbers to the right. The odd thing is it's not off in all the menus. Just the important one, where you have to enter the destination address. Apparently there is no screen calibration in the menu's. CRAP! I hope they will fix it and not refund me! Lastly, did anyone happen to notice the sticker on the back of the box? Mine says refurb then, USED LIKE NEW. Is mine just used and shoved back into the box while not being refurbished? Battery was completely dead too.

smokkeyy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages smokkeyy

Contacted TomTom support today, attempted to reset SIM card (was getting error 22 and others) and the reset did not work. I still have no live services and they are escalating to a different tech support and contacting me back.... 1 hour on the phone and no success yet. I know it's not Woot's fault but this is frustrating

saintfurion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages saintfurion

Yet another broken/damaged item from Woot.

So basically these are used and just slapped back in the box. Mine had files from the previous owner on it. In addition the unit wouldn't load/has a bad unrepairable filesystem and now has to be shipped back to TomTom at my expense (and 2+ hours of time lost).

At least them Kodak batteries work as advertised.

haveabigjohnson


quality posts: 10 Private Messages haveabigjohnson

I called Doug Doug today for help. Sat on hold for 30 minutes. Gave up and decided to email for help. Wrote out my entire message, then clicked continue, nothing happens! Wait! There's Homework? how does a button not work on a website? I give up for today. Going back to my 2005 map Mio Digiwalker or whatever it was called, (also from Woot).

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

saintfurion wrote:Yet another broken/damaged item from Woot.

So basically these are used and just slapped back in the box. Mine had files from the previous owner on it. In addition the unit wouldn't load/has a bad unrepairable filesystem and now has to be shipped back to TomTom at my expense (and 2+ hours of time lost).

At least them Kodak batteries work as advertised.


Before you send it back to TomTom, email service@woot.com to see if they have some other options for you. Apologies for the problem.



FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kopek


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kopek

I received mine, appears to update fine. But there is no activation code for service. The item description clearly stated this included 12 months of service. I contacted tomtom (better have a full battery charge on you phone, I had to recharge after 30 minutes on hold), they explained refurbished devices do not come with a service plan, they said to contact the seller. I've emailed service@woot.com explaining the issue, it's only been one hour so far. I didn't receive an email or confirmation that I had created an account, only have the proof on my credit card statement and the box it arrived in. I created this account to deal with the issue.

saintfurion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages saintfurion
ThunderThighs wrote:Before you send it back to TomTom, email service@woot.com to see if they have some other options for you. Apologies for the problem.



Will do, thanks TT!

saintfurion


quality posts: 0 Private Messages saintfurion
kopek wrote:I received mine, appears to update fine. But there is no activation code for service. The item description clearly stated this included 12 months of service. I contacted tomtom (better have a full battery charge on you phone, I had to recharge after 30 minutes on hold), they explained refurbished devices do not come with a service plan, they said to contact the seller. I've emailed service@woot.com explaining the issue, it's only been one hour so far. I didn't receive an email or confirmation that I had created an account, only have the proof on my credit card statement and the box it arrived in. I created this account to deal with the issue.



Call back and see if you can chat with Manny... He indicated that they could reactivate the SIM and he did it in about 3 minutes (although I couldn't use it). He was familiar with the issue and confirmed the 12 months!

retiredrobb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages retiredrobb
saintfurion wrote:Call back and see if you can chat with Manny... He indicated that they could reactivate the SIM and he did it in about 3 minutes (although I couldn't use it). He was familiar with the issue and confirmed the 12 months!



I just got off the phone with Tomtom support. After 15 minutes on hold, the rep quickly (~ 10 minutes) had me ready to roll!