WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Welcome to the first ever "Guess The MIDI" compeition. We say first ever as though there will be more. Apologies to whomever composed this fine MIDI 15 years ago; we don't mean to infringe on your extremely valuable intellectual property. Please send us a cease and desist -- we'll frame it. 

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Sounds like "Take the Long Way Home" to me

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

It's definitely Supertramp's "Take the Long Way Home".. Nicely guessed, Lichme!
-=C=-

curtise

The font is Jokerman.
-=C=-

curtise

The bird is a male Western Tanager!
-=C=-

(I like this game :D )

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

lichme wrote:Sounds like "Take the Long Way Home" to me

lichme nabs a point!

skemmis

Staff

curtise wrote:The font is Jokerman.
-=C=-

curtise ties it up!

skemmis

Staff

curtise wrote:The bird is a male Western Tanager!
-=C=-

(I like this game :D )

curtise vaults meteorically to the lead with 2 points!

erinthios

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erinthios

I think I've listened to too much Supertramp, I somehow feel like it should've taken me longer than 5 seconds into the video to identify the song. (Classic intro!)

Nice first selection (and the MIDI itself was pretty good quality, too)! I look forward to seeing what future editions bring us. (Death metal MIDIs, anyone?)

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Quick nitpick: "Typeface" is the shape of the characters. e.g. Helvetica is a typeface.

A "font" is a collection of characters of a single typeface of a single size. Although digital fonts make the size part moot.

In the days of hot type a font was actually a rather big deal.

Sixela10

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Sixela10

Of course skemmis picks a Supertramp song as the inaugural MIDI. Surprised it wasn't "Bloody Well Right," though.

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

Oh, guess I should have watched the video, didn't know there was more guessing to be had.

Zeusandhera

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Zeusandhera

Wow, I'm happy to hear a song I know! I don't have the widest selection of music in my collection, but it's nice to hear something I know!

I wonder how many hours/playthroughs the person who made this midi had to endure? Anyone have midi's anymore? I think mine were all from video games and now they are all in a zip file somewhere.

dmax801

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dmax801

The opening chord had only two choices: Long Way Home - or Backstabbers. Had to wait for the next few beats.

kilna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kilna
dmax801 wrote:The opening chord had only two choices: Long Way Home - or Backstabbers. Had to wait for the next few beats.

I wasn't familiar with the O'Jays song so I guessed it on the opening bar.

Remember when Longs Drugs used this for a jingle in the late 80s/early 90s...? "Take the Longs way home", indeed. I can't seem to locate the version where they used this song, unfortunately, all I can find is the early 80s version that wasn't based off Supertramp. I don't know why a company would use such a profoundly sad song when you listen to it as a corporate jingle.

spunk115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spunk115

If you'll excuse me, I need to put this on my Geocities page...

SESteve

quality posts: 15 Private Messages SESteve

I definitely tagged it as Take the Long Way Home in the first couple seconds when the octaves started. But something doesn't sound right. I think the piano is playing the drum track.

abitterwoman

quality posts: 27 Private Messages abitterwoman

I'm going to call the bird a Tequila Sunrise bird..because that's what it looks like to me.

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

ddispensa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ddispensa

Yeah, Supertramp "Take The Long Way Home" in about 25 seconds. Don't know where that beginning is from.
As for birds and fonts, sorry, that's not my forte.

madfrisbee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages madfrisbee
SESteve wrote:I definitely tagged it as Take the Long Way Home in the first couple seconds when the octaves started. But something doesn't sound right. I think the piano is playing the drum track.

I think you may be on to something there. I think on GM soundsets the kick and snare do hit on those odd-sounding notes (which sound like B1/E1 to me - right?).

Dex15

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Dex15

I used to guess songs like this a lot, back just before mp3s came out. I used to have a sizable MIDI collection of songs like this. Too bad I didn't get to listen to this one and guess. It seems someone actually made a claim and took it down.
-Dex