theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
editorkid wrote:There's more to life than pixel count. The Nexus 7 screen is widely considered to be the area where Asus did a lot of cost-cutting because colors are so washed out. You're right that it's OK... but it's still noticeably worse than most other tablets I've seen.

I'll not argue that point, perhaps because my experience is with other 10" tablets, and not with the Galaxy Tab 2 directly, I thought otherwise (the Nexus 7 screen looks great to me). Its definitely better than my Touchpad's screen, as well as Kindle Fire, Nook Color, etc. Not as good as newer ipad screens, but for the price what to expect.

I'm happy that there are now multiple tablets nearing the $150 price point that are actual REALLY good, the days of having to deal with cheap Arcos, Coby, etc. tablets on a budget will soon be gone.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
tewkewl wrote:you are my hero man. apple sucks for what they are doing. why go after samsung? they really want to go after google but they don't have the balls. as if samsung has the only pinch to zoom functionality in android phones. every single android phone i've had was pinch to zoom. not just that, but even windows phones have pinch to zoom. apple is being a sore loser because they only have a third of androids market share, and they have less market share than even one android device maker: samsung. this is an attempt to get rid of the market to create an apple monopoly. so much for 1984. apple is the guy in the big screen now!

Your post is full of misconceptions and falsehoods, not to mention contradictions. How do you people think this way?

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
theguruguys wrote:
One thing to consider, the Samsung was originally MSRP for over double that of the Nexus, so its not surprising that the quality of components in the Samsung Tab 2 are superior.

Are you comparing the 10" Tab 2 with the 7" Nexus? The 7" Tab 2 was always $250.

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

Ask yourself a question. Is having expandable memory and dual cameras important to you?

If so, this is a very good deal on a very good tablet.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
Spiky wrote:Are you comparing the 10" Tab 2 with the 7" Nexus? The 7" Tab 2 was always $250.

I stand corrected. Why did I think this had an MSRP of $350 initially? Maybe I was thinking of the 4G version when we were comparing tablets with built in wireless providers.

dancreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancreal

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this but the Nexus 7 has a way higher resolution: 1280 x 800 versus this, 1024 x 600. I bought my GF the Nexus and the screen is so clear that it makes my iPad 2 look fuzzy. It's great for reading. Nexus has MORE battery life and a quad core processor. Its better all the way around, unless you absolutely need additional storage. This tab is old technology, the Nexus 7 is far beyond it. My daughter has a tab 10.1 and I love it, but this tab is a rip off at the $180 price tag (compared to what you can get for $200).

dancreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancreal
editorkid wrote:There's more to life than pixel count. The Nexus 7 screen is widely considered to be the area where Asus did a lot of cost-cutting because colors are so washed out. You're right that it's OK... but it's still noticeably worse than most other tablets I've seen.

The Nexus 7 screen looks WAY better than my iPad 2 screen, and Nexus 7 looks better than the screen on my daughters Galaxy Tab 10.1. I thought the Galaxy Tab had incredible resolution until the Nexus 7 came out. Text is WAY clearer on the Nexus 7, and games truly look high definition. It has the clearest screen I've seen so far (I haven't actually seen the iPad 3 screen). I'm waiting for the Nexus 10 to be announced. I'm going to buy that.

kuma99

quality posts: 9 Private Messages kuma99

Android = Google spyware.

Heck, Google even sells access to your life through third-party apps. Why does a game need internet access, contacts access, access to all kinds of non-relative info ?

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Looks like the same one new for $20 more at Micro Center is selling for $199.99 with a 1-year warranty at the web link below. Specs are the same, and Model Number is very close & almost the same.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/386967/Galaxy_Tab_2_70_Titanium_Silver

New Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Model GT-P3113TSYXAR

Price $199.99
Save $50.00 / Originally $249.99

1-Year Limited Warranty

[MOD: When you add it to the cart you get this message: Removed items that are inactive or no longer available.]

kingoffools13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kingoffools13
mhcaillesrn wrote:Touch screen problem, I got mine and it's broken already, I can't have it repair I bought mine out of country, Samsung has no international warranty. My screen got moisture inside so the touchscreen was unusable. My Samsung is used as a paper weights now, instead of throwing it away :-(

square trade warranty man

NuclearShadow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NuclearShadow

I really dislike the price. The Nexus 7 brand new is only $200 and provides better specs and Android 4.1 instead of 4.0.

Retailers including Woot need to begin to realize that tablets are a flooded market to begin with and with each generation coming so fast there isn't a lasting value to them.

I wouldn't advise paying $150 for this new never-mind $180 refurbished.

borntohunt

VolleyB wrote:Description: 1.5Ghz Dual-Core Processor

Tech Specs: Dual-Core 1GHz

???

[MOD: Fixed. It's 1GHz]

According to Micro Center's specs, this one uses the Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 processor which operates at 1 GHz.

http://www.ti.com/general/docs/wtbu/wtbuproductcontent.tsp?templateId=6123&navigationId=12843&contentId=53243

OMAP 4430 operates at up to 1 GHz
OMAP 4460 operates at up to 1.5 GHz

borntohunt

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Wi-Fi) 8GB GT-P3113 Product Manual Download

User Manual (User Manual) (ver.LD3_F7)
Jul 18, 2012 ENGLISH(NORTH AMERICA) 6.22MB PDF

User Manual (User Manual) (ver.LG2_F4)
Jul 18, 2012 ENGLISH(NORTH AMERICA) 16.17MB PDF

xelxock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xelxock

Are these the tablets Apple is suing to take off the market due to copywrite infringement and what will happen to those who buy this?

cheezr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cheezr

I dont think this is a good buy (sorry Woot). A Nexus 7 is $20 more new and has a much higher resolution screen and is also thinner and lighter and unburdened with TouchUI.
[for $99 it would however be a good buy]!

bergmanf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bergmanf

I see two drawbacks- size, and buttons.
Speaking from personal experience, seven inches simply isn't enough. I need no less than ten for my most common tablet use, that is, reading comic books.
Additionally I don't care for "soft" buttons. From time to time an app will wipe out the part of the screen where the home/back/menu buttons live, and you're forced to hard reboot. If you're alright with those limitations, this is expensive but not a total waste of money.

farley1guy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages farley1guy
borntohunt wrote:Looks like the same one new for $20 more at Micro Center is selling for $199.99 with a 1-year warranty at the web link below. Specs are the same, and Model Number is very close & almost the same.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/386967/Galaxy_Tab_2_70_Titanium_Silver

New Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Model GT-P3113TSYXAR

Price $199.99
Save $50.00 / Originally $249.99

1-Year Limited Warranty

Sorry sport fans:
" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Titanium Silver Model GT-P3113TSYXAR

This product is no longer available."

Spirit299

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Spirit299
jdevenberg wrote:I have one and it suffers from keyboard issues that make it virtually unusable. An update to fix them would improve my opinion. I will be returning mine and getting something else. If you want this size tablet, a nexus 7 is worth the $20 more unless you have to have expandable storage.

What are your keyboard issues? I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and sometimes the cursor moves backwards on it's own and mixes up the letters as I type and even duplicates words being typed. Does yours do that? Luckily, I have a wireless bluetooth keyboard case. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F0X6Z6/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

Kirkstone

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kirkstone

Now that the ICS upgrade is FINALLY available for the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, look for one of those. I've recently seen them new in the $200-220 range. Faster processor, better cameras, more memory.

mastagunz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mastagunz

Why would anyone do this when a Tegra3 QUAD CORE!!! is only $20 bucks more for the nexus7"

I'm sorry, but the internal Quad core CPU should matter a lot more than all that little "no sd card slot" and "zomg screen isn't perfect" crap.

kmf600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmf600

Ok, so my question is, will my 8 and 6 year old girls be able to play Angry Birds and listen to Pandora without complaining about how crappy this is? I don't care about screens, operating systems, or that it didn't work after your dog chewed the corner off after your kid dropped it in the pool.
Thanks

nahcoguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nahcoguy

Walmart is selling for $199.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Refurbished-GT-P3113-TS8A-Galaxy-Tab-2-with-WiFi-7.0-Touchscreen-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System-Titanium-Silver/21142087

wfondren

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wfondren

I bought my wife a Tab 2 at Costco a few months ago. She loved it so much, I bought myself one. We really enjoy them. Both have ICS.

It fits inside my sports coat, so it is easy to take to meetings. I use it a lot more than I thought I might.

Our experience has been nothing but positive.

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad
iissurf wrote:I believe the Galaxy Tab Plus has a faster processor. That's the one I've been looking at. The Tab 2 supposedly has a "better" processor albeit a bit slower.

Here's a comparison between the two and other major tablets: http://www.theverge.com/products/compare/5147/2630/1606/2506/3767/5225

And one specifically comparing the Tab 2 to the Tab Plus: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-2-7.0-vs-Galaxy-Tab-7.0-Plus-spot-the-difference_id26920

Generally the older Tab Plus runs circles around the Tab 2, once you install the ICS update for the Tab Plus.

The Tab 2 was , I guess, supposed to be a more affordable model. But you can probably find good deals on the Tab Plus, which now has ICS available.

babboa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages babboa
jdevenberg wrote:I have one and it suffers from keyboard issues that make it virtually unusable. An update to fix them would improve my opinion. I will be returning mine and getting something else. If you want this size tablet, a nexus 7 is worth the $20 more unless you have to have expandable storage.

I agree that the stock keyboard is terrible, but just download either the Jellybean keyboard or one of the aftermarket keyboards like swype. I did for my tab 2 and it made a HUGE difference. Much more responsive, and the predictive text is actually useful.

sdgardner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdgardner
tewkewl wrote:you are my hero man. apple sucks for what they are doing. why go after samsung? they really want to go after google but they don't have the balls. as if samsung has the only pinch to zoom functionality in android phones. every single android phone i've had was pinch to zoom. not just that, but even windows phones have pinch to zoom. apple is being a sore loser because they only have a third of androids market share, and they have less market share than even one android device maker: samsung. this is an attempt to get rid of the market to create an apple monopoly. so much for 1984. apple is the guy in the big screen now!

Amen!

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

I'm a tech junky, have had galaxy tab plus, 2; iPad 2, 3; tablet S; Viewsonic G Tablet; and Evo View 4g.

Without going in to a comparison of all 4, I settled with iPad 3/Tablet S/Evo View 4G.

The simple reason is a combination of user experience, functionality, and perceived speed.

Both iPad 3 and Tablet S have much faster browser speeds based on my experience. Tablet S also has universal remote function that Galaxy Tab doesn't. Most of all, Galaxy Tab's screen quality, while good, isn't quite as good as IPad 3 and Tablet S. In terms of accessories support, Galaxy tab is in between the two. Keep in mind also, at due to recent lawsuit, Samsung may be forced to provide an update to the tablets to alter the way Galaxy Tab behaves.

For the most part, everything else is a wash between galaxy tab and the two big tablets I kept.

With that said, I paid 500 and 270 for them, respectively... This is a steal at this price.

By the way, where is CowboyDan?

I am not responsible for this post.

daviddb1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daviddb1

I have both the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Tab 2...don't ask. Anyway, the Nexus 7 is superior in the areas of Speed (quad core vs dual core processor) OS (Jelly Bean vs Ice Cream Sandwich) and Screen. I have, and have had many many Android tabs and the Nexus always surprises me when I use it. It is just so fast and smooth. However, the Tab 2 is really nice and has that expandable storage (mine has a 64gb micro sd card). If the Nexus 7 came with expandable storage, this would be a no contest scenario. I can afford both, so I have both...and others, but if you can't afford both, and 16gb (Nexus 7 maximum storage) just isn't enough (I can't imagine how it would be), go with the Tab 2. It's a great price for a really good tab. Just DO NOT compare it physically to the Nexus 7, the difference in screen quality alone will make you cry!

ttweed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ttweed

Lots of misconceptions being posted about the Nexus 7 here. The quad-core processor is actually better overall on battery usage than the dual-core, as it has a low-power fifth core that takes care of most "idle" tasks without engaging the main processors. Also, the lack of an SD slot has been overcome with a simple app, Nexus Media Importer, that allows attaching mass storage devices via the USB port with a simple, cheap OTG cable without rooting the device, if you absolutely must have access to your full media library without using cloud storage. I have owned 5 different tablets and the Nexus 7 is by far the best one I've ever owned.

jackash

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackash
marziah wrote:Plus then you don't have to spend the money on shipping.

But you will pay sales tax.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
bergmanf wrote:Speaking from personal experience, seven inches simply isn't enough. I need no less than ten...

I simply could not read any further than that... :-)

mat1502

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mat1502

I bought one of these several months ago and I love it. I'm using it now. It has replaced my laptop for almost everything. No problems yet. My wife has a Fire. The Tab 2 is better. I can make phone calls from it to.

natevo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages natevo

Why would anyone buy one of these when they can get a Google Nexus 7 for $199? The Nexus is superior in every way to this device...yes, even with lack of expandable memory. Welcome to the google drive my friends. If you are going to be in a situation where you will consume more than 8GB of media before you can connect to the internet to get more/different media from the cloud you are in the minuscule minority. Otherwise there is no contest.

Dud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Dud

I bought the Sony S tablet a month ago and am pretty happy with it. I considered purchasing this tablet (it is a good model) but the refurbed price is too high. I would be all over this for $149. $179 is too much IMHO ...

tjrbidder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjrbidder
marziah wrote:Plus then you don't have to spend the money on shipping.

Right, at $200 you will pay around $12 in tax in many states at a brick and mortar... but you will save on the $5 shipping from Woot.

08/11/09 - Altec Lansing Orbit Speaker for iPod & MP3 Players - 2 Pack
06/09/09 - High Peak Simex Sport Sirius Sleeping Bag - 2 Pack
11/06/08 - Uniden DECT 6.0 Dual Handset Cordless Phone w/ Digital Answering Machine
08/19/08 - Philips In-Ear Headphones
02/27/08 - Dane-Elec 2GB SD Card
02/11/08 - Sandisk Sansa M240 1GB MP3 Player w/ FM Tuner

fishphotoguy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages fishphotoguy

The IR blaster would be great, at this price it is not much more than the logitech I'll need to replace soon.

But I think $179 is the regular price for this at Costco now. They double the factory warranty to 2 years.

Nope, the Gtab is $220 at Costco, sale price. I was thinking of the Vizio 7"tab with the IR remote app.

davelog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davelog

Dang, I just bought one of these at the Verizon store a couple weeks ago for twice the price. That'll teach me.

For what it's worth, I wish I had gotten the original Tab. The Tab 2's 3mp camera can't focus for crap, and can't even scan a barcode or read a QR code, and there's no LED flash on the Tab 2. And, even though it was advertised as having Flash player, there's no Flash player. The version that everything wants isn't available in the USA.

Given all that, I still like it. I just wish I'd only paid half of what I did for it.

sonomawilliam

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sonomawilliam

sorry but you would be a fool to by this when you can get the Google Nexus 7 for a few more dollars. Don't make this mistake.

zidja

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zidja

I bought one of these about a month ago to use as a "smart" GPS. I really like it. I chose it over the Nexus because of the card slot, which I've already filled up with games, audio and GPS maps. It plays video, flash, and all the apps I've tried really well.

Downsides: proprietary dock connector/charger (aaaalmost like apple's but not quite). The nexus uses a version of the micro/mini usb slot of which you probably have a dozen chargers lying around your house. The previous poster's comment about the screengrab button is apt. I don't know if that's samsung or android though.

Upsides: It's awesome. I really like it. I'm debating pulling the trigger on this deal to give one to my wife or parents.