escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
ttweed wrote:Lots of misconceptions being posted about the Nexus 7 here. The quad-core processor is actually better overall on battery usage than the dual-core, as it has a low-power fifth core that takes care of most "idle" tasks without engaging the main processors. Also, the lack of an SD slot has been overcome with a simple app, Nexus Media Importer, that allows attaching mass storage devices via the USB port with a simple, cheap OTG cable without rooting the device, if you absolutely must have access to your full media library without using cloud storage. I have owned 5 different tablets and the Nexus 7 is by far the best one I've ever owned.

Great post, my OTG cable is coming soon (ordered it weeks ago, it is coming from China), and I was going to root my Nexus 7 to be able to access flash drives. But for $2, I think I will just try the app you mentioned, it seems to have good reviews. And you are right, my Nexus seems to last forever on a battery charge (way longer than my Fire).

And I love the Nexus 7, great tablet.

njd89

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njd89

If you hold this in portrait mode with your left hand, you block the wifi antenna. And when I say block, I mean the tablet slows to a crawl when surfing the web. This is a huge issue for me and the reason why I had to return it. The Nexus 7 is soooo much better and doesn't have this wifi issue. There is absolutely no competition in the 7 inch tablet space right now.

jimbolodisc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimbolodisc

Don't get this, unless you need an IR blaster.

For about $20 more (before tax), you can get a Nexus 7.

But rear cam!
You're not going to use a rear cam on a tablet. Besides, it's only a 3.0MP shooter. Just grab your phone instead.

But microSD!
Get an OTG USB adapter for $1.60 and attach a flash drive to it (4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB... it's up to your wallet on this one).

But this is $180!
And it's refurb'ed. How about you save yourself $30 and buy a used HTC Flyer for $150? It's only a single-core but you get a 5.0MP rear cam and you can get an active stylus for it.

I have both the Nexus 7 and the HTC Flyer. I'm set as far as tablets are concerned. If I could upgrade the CPU on my Flyer, then I wouldn't have bought the Nexus 7. Android 4.1.1 is an awesome bonus, though. ;-)

rocketdoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rocketdoctor

This is a great deal I bought two of them last april from Amazon for my kids (9 and 11). They play all sorts of games.

These are also extremely durable the kids drop them and leave them laying around and the cases and screens are still in good shape.

can't go wrong at this price

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang
natevo wrote:Why would anyone buy one of these when they can get a Google Nexus 7 for $199? The Nexus is superior in every way to this device...yes, even with lack of expandable memory. Welcome to the google drive my friends. If you are going to be in a situation where you will consume more than 8GB of media before you can connect to the internet to get more/different media from the cloud you are in the minuscule minority. Otherwise there is no contest.

Couldn't disagree with you more. There's no way I want to have to be tethered to an unreliable network to get at my media. Until ubiquitous high speed network access is available absolutely everywhere, the cloud is a joke for personal media storage. SD slots and cards are cheap - there's no reason ANY of these devices should not have expansion slots.

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

redstang

quality posts: 3 Private Messages redstang

Nexus 7 - no expansion slot - FAIL!!!
GTab2 - proprietary dongle - FAIL!!!

Can't someone make a decent tablet device that has a standard USB port (and no, I don't want to carry a stupid adapter) AND an SD slot? Anyone? Bueller?

Timing is everything - especially when wOOting!

dbmpsd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dbmpsd

I got one for Father's Day. I use it more than my iPod Touch except for gaming right now. It is my first Android device so I'm still learning. I can't complain about any of the features, wish the rear camera was better but then taking pictures or video with a tablet is stupid looking. I would take it even take it to work with me if I could, we have those a personal electronic device rule. I just turn off the Wifi and GPS when leaving it home to preserve the battery even more. I just got around to streaming media from my home NAS, that work great too.

BIGsinner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages BIGsinner

Full Disclosure, I own a Nexus 7.

If you want find a good tablet for a good price, the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is a good tablet. It's only a generation behind, but still has a lot of mileage left on it.

To those wondering if the Nexus 7 is a better buy, in my opinion..it is. For the money, with the Nexus 7, you are getting a current gen device, better specs, and 1st in line for updates. Yes, it doesn't have an expansion slot embedded in it, but it being a nexus product, some geek genius already figured out how to bypass this problem and shared it (via $1.99 app purchase) without rooting your device!

I currently have my device connected to my 64GB flash drive, (via OTG micro USB host cable) where I dumped a bunch of movies on to it to watch at my leisure. Granted it doesn't look as sleek as an in-bedded external microSD slot, but it's a small price to pay, and equally as portable.

rabbertklein

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rabbertklein

This device has been a real lifesaver for me on the job.

Works very well for e-mail and browsing on the go.

My one complaint is the wi-fi antenna performance is easily degraded by the placement of your hands. (~40-60%)

Kev50027

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Kev50027
editorkid wrote:I have the Nexus 7. For $20 less this comes with a better screen and a microSDHC slot, and Samsung's build quality is better than the Nexus 7's. (Ask the thousands of people who had to return their Nexus 7s to Google because the screen wasn't seated properly.) This is a little heavier and bulkier than the Nexus 7 and does have an earlier version of Android. Both are very good tablets and which you pick depends on your priorities... this is a very solid unit.

Better screen? It uses inferior technology which leads to worse viewing angles, and it has a lower resolution. The Nexus 7 is better in every single way except for external storage. This has a dual core processor, the Nexus 7 has a quad core. This runs Android 4.0, the Nexus 7 runs 4.1. You get my drift.

charid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charid
editorkid wrote:I have the Nexus 7. For $20 less this comes with a better screen and a microSDHC slot, and Samsung's build quality is better than the Nexus 7's. (Ask the thousands of people who had to return their Nexus 7s to Google because the screen wasn't seated properly.) This is a little heavier and bulkier than the Nexus 7 and does have an earlier version of Android. Both are very good tablets and which you pick depends on your priorities... this is a very solid unit.

Not to mention the CAMERAS! Front and rear and much higher resolution.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot
redstang wrote:Nexus 7 - no expansion slot - FAIL!!!
GTab2 - proprietary dongle - FAIL!!!

Can't someone make a decent tablet device that has a standard USB port (and no, I don't want to carry a stupid adapter) AND an SD slot? Anyone? Bueller?

That's why I got a Toshiba Thrive. It also has a user replaceable battery and full size HDMI out.

cawpin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cawpin
djrmsn wrote:Was reading the paper yesterday about Samsung's big loss in court - that includes a following case in which Apple is asking to prohibit all future sales on the Galaxy phone and tablet. I said, " I bet these show up on Woot soon". I'm a psychic!

The infringement didn't include the tablets, only phones.

ladysoleil

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ladysoleil

For those of us who still have the original Tab that was on Woot last year, is this worth the upgrade?

My current Tab is suffering from some minor battery problems, but works fine otherwise as long as I remember to charge it often. So I'm not sure if I need this, but some preliminary research seems to indicate that replacing the battery is going to be a pain. So, what to do? I love my Tab and use it every day, but the Nexus also looks good. I do not currently fill the SD card I have now, and don't mind using a cable and flash drive if needed. I use mine mostly as an ereader and for email and light web browsing. This might be more tablet than I need right now?

pureval

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pureval

I have been looking at getting a 7" tablet for a while now, mostly going between the Galaxy Tab 2 and the Nexus 7. My biggest issue right now is that the Tab can use HBOGO and the Nexus can not. But I am still unsure.

When discuss using these for gaming what exactly do they mean? I have no intentions to use this for any in depth games, I have a 3DS for that. I mostly want it for an ereader, Angry Birds or Plants VS Zombies type games. Will the Tab be alright for that?

It puts the crap inside the bag or it gets the hose again.

marjorym

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marjorym

I have a Tab 2 that I bought from Costco several weeks. I really like it for an ereader, web surfing and some gaming.
Several people have mention the screen grab button. It's configurable so it can changed to other things. I changed mine to show my apps.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

For most, this would be a better deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KWRTH2/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

It is NEW Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 tablet Special Edition, and comes with a keyboard and USB cable (a $100 value according to Samsung). Only $65 dollars more.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut
tjrbidder wrote:Right, at $200 you will pay around $12 in tax in many states at a brick and mortar... but you will save on the $5 shipping from Woot.

MicroCenter brick-&-mortar near me (N TX) is showing Nexus 7 @ $250 plus tax (almost $22 here). WallyMart & Amazon are the same. Is it really available for $200 from anyone besides Google?

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2

I have two of these, the Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire and a half dozen others. (App developer here).

The first thing I did with the Samsungs is to ROOT them and remove all the crap-ware, especially KIES. Samsung as pre-installed a number of apps which may or may not serve a purpose, but in the end have full access to anything on your tab AND internet access as well, so if their systems are compromised, they can have at your personal data.

That said, I prefer the Nexus 7 for everyday use. Battery life of the Nexus 7 is significantly better than the Samsung devices, with a good week on standby and light use for the Nexus 7, vs. three days tops for the Samsung. What's worse, Samsung has a proprietary charging cable, so there's additional expense there if you want to remain flexible.

Samsung's GPS receiver is better, and of course, it's got a rear camera and the MicroSD slot. On occasion, I would have liked a rear camera on my Nexus 7, for apps like Google Goggles or Google Translate -- however, the Samsung camera's resolution is nowhere near enough to do proper OCR anyway.

My Samsung tablets are used as media players for the kids, so the SDHC slots are permanently populated with 32GB cards -- something that the Nexus doesn't have. Samsungs easily last through three movies, 6-8h of reading, and 4-5h of Cut The Rope.

The screens are equivalent, with a slight edge to the Samsung. Performance of the Nexus is, as expected, better.

If you want a cutting edge 7" tablet with all the bells and whistles, for everyday use (calendar, email, browsing), get the Nexus 7. If you are planning on consuming a lot of media on the go, and you need the microSD slot, this is a decent deal, although I'd like to see it closer to $150.

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
compunaut wrote:MicroCenter brick-&-mortar near me (N TX) is showing Nexus 7 @ $250 plus tax (almost $22 here). WallyMart & Amazon are the same. Is it really available for $200 from anyone besides Google?

Are you looking at the 8GB ($199) or 16GB ($249) version?

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
menkros wrote:Ipad fanboy

Nice try. I don't own any. Actually, I hesitate to mention how many Android tablets I own. But it's more than two.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
kmf600 wrote:Ok, so my question is, will my 8 and 6 year old girls be able to play Angry Birds and listen to Pandora without complaining about how crappy this is? I don't care about screens, operating systems, or that it didn't work after your dog chewed the corner off after your kid dropped it in the pool.
Thanks

Should be able to. My kid plays AB all the time. I assume Pandora is available.

It's from Samsung, so you'll have to ignore the built-in Samsung apps and download Google Play to have the actual Android store.

bonniegibson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonniegibson

[quote postid="5145912" user="ugrasse2"]I have two of these, the Nexus 7, the Kindle Fire and a half dozen others. (App developer here).

Thanks so much for the clear comparison between these devices. I don't have a smartphone (screen is too small to comfortably read) so was looking at a 7" tablet for larger print. I figure I can carry this in my purse or pocket easier than a larger tablet. I mainly want one for two reasons: To check email and quick checks of stuff on the internet; and to be able to combine with a square reader to accept credit cards. I have a laptop I can use for more extensive stuff - and I'm not much for talking on the phone, so this seems like a good solution for me. I will do some checking on the Nexus. Since I am not that big into movies or music I guess the lack of an expandable slot isn't as big for me. Thanks again.

tamta1818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamta1818

Hi people. I'm interesting about shipping process in woot.com. I bought the item five days ago on this website, and It is not coming from the warehouse still. If you know the average time for shipping please answer to me

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tamta1818 wrote:Hi people. I'm interesting about shipping process in woot.com. I bought the item five days ago on this website, and It is not coming from the warehouse still. If you know the average time for shipping please answer to me

It can take up to 5 business days for items to process and ship although it's often faster. You can check "Your Account" for tracking information updates but you will get an email when the item ships.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

morithule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages morithule

I bought my son one of these before I the Google Nexus 7 released. It's a great little machine and he uses it constantly. It plays all the most popular games without issue. The screen is great as an e-reader and he enjoy his comics books on it. The IR Blaster app (Peel Smart Remote) is a little difficult to set up, but it's awesome feature that you won't find on other tablets. It also seems that he got some free content on Angry Birds because it's a Samsung device. I would still have gone with the Nexus 7 if I had the choice at the time but I don't regret choosing this device. Since you can get the Nexus 7, unless the Smart Remote feature is a big selling point for you, go for the Nexus 7. Sorry Woot! I still love you

BigRich78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BigRich78
tewkewl wrote:you are my hero man. apple sucks for what they are doing. why go after samsung? they really want to go after google but they don't have the balls. as if samsung has the only pinch to zoom functionality in android phones. every single android phone i've had was pinch to zoom. not just that, but even windows phones have pinch to zoom. apple is being a sore loser because they only have a third of androids market share, and they have less market share than even one android device maker: samsung. this is an attempt to get rid of the market to create an apple monopoly. so much for 1984. apple is the guy in the big screen now!

AMEN! I've been on board with Apple computers for a long time, but never the iPhone. Maybe because in the computer world, they've been seen for so long as 'David', while in the phone world they're more like Goliath.

To me, bickering over pinch-to-zoom technology is like having a huge lawsuit over who can use rollerballs in their mice.

I still LOVE my iMac, but I've had only Android phones since I got the orig G1.

You know, this reminds me of how hysterically pathetic it is when "non-conformity" becomes so popular that it's what EVERYONE is doing... When Non-Conformity becomes the norm, it's now Conformity. The snobs that chose Apple products just because Microsoft was the computer bully are now part of the bullying crowd.

HOORAY!! for everyone that's so different they're now all the same. (That goes for you most of all, Apple.)

stevefout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevefout
theguruguys wrote:Buy it at a brick and mortar. I got mine at MicroCenter. No issues with it at all, if I had one its an easy exchange. Compusa, MicroCenter, etc. all have them in stock now.

I have bought three at Micro Center (Columbus, OH) in the last month, all for $199 each. I upgraded from a Kindle Fire (loved the minimalism)but must say that the Galaxy is far superior in a true tablet experience. I too looked at the Nexus and yes, the aforementioned specs are statistically better. That said, I couldn't see a difference in the store and expandability was a critical consideration. I would pass on this refurb and look for the new $199 deal.

midnight917

quality posts: 1 Private Messages midnight917

2 questions

1. Does this support flash or not? I've read mixed things, even from 2 different users. My understanding was that Adobe no longer supports flash for new models/OS (past 4.1) but since this has 4.0, it should still support it.

2. Powerful enough to play netflix/streaming video?

tewkewl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tewkewl
BigRich78 wrote:AMEN! I've been on board with Apple computers for a long time, but never the iPhone. Maybe because in the computer world, they've been seen for so long as 'David', while in the phone world they're more like Goliath.

To me, bickering over pinch-to-zoom technology is like having a huge lawsuit over who can use rollerballs in their mice.

I still LOVE my iMac, but I've had only Android phones since I got the orig G1.

You know, this reminds me of how hysterically pathetic it is when "non-conformity" becomes so popular that it's what EVERYONE is doing... When Non-Conformity becomes the norm, it's now Conformity. The snobs that chose Apple products just because Microsoft was the computer bully are now part of the bullying crowd.

HOORAY!! for everyone that's so different they're now all the same. (That goes for you most of all, Apple.)

I totally agree. the reason a lot of people are buying apple products defies logic. it's because of cultural and socio-political motivations as opposed to the actual product itself!

Apple's phone WAS state of the art. But it has been surpassed by Android. I mean, how can a company that has ONE release a year compete with an ecosystem of companies that put out a new phone every month that is better in every way that the outgoing model, and a new operating system that is superior to the prior one ever few months. Android device hardware and capabilities is already far beyond what apple is producing. I will concede that Apple is awesome for ease of use. But Android is not far behind... and for what you get for the money, it's a no brainer. Not only that, but people by nature are attracted to freedom... apple let's you chose one product. Iphone. Android is available for high level phones from HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG, etc etc... people get to choose what fits them. just like buying a car. It's like apple is a toyota camry. Nice car... runs like a champ. but you can't choose any other car. Android let's you buy a maserati all the way down to the lowly chevy. your choice. anyway... enough of this diatribe.

bjfranck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

Zero issues with this. Maybe a bad unit?

njd89 wrote:If you hold this in portrait mode with your left hand, you block the wifi antenna. And when I say block, I mean the tablet slows to a crawl when surfing the web. This is a huge issue for me and the reason why I had to return it. The Nexus 7 is soooo much better and doesn't have this wifi issue. There is absolutely no competition in the 7 inch tablet space right now.

bjfranck

Google Play does not have to be downloaded. Its stock.

Spiky wrote:Should be able to. My kid plays AB all the time. I assume Pandora is available.

It's from Samsung, so you'll have to ignore the built-in Samsung apps and download Google Play to have the actual Android store.

bjfranck

Or you can just remove the button. Just in the settings. Very easy.

marjorym wrote:I have a Tab 2 that I bought from Costco several weeks. I really like it for an ereader, web surfing and some gaming.
Several people have mention the screen grab button. It's configurable so it can changed to other things. I changed mine to show my apps.

tamta1818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamta1818
ThunderThighs wrote:It can take up to 5 business days for items to process and ship although it's often faster. You can check "Your Account" for tracking information updates but you will get an email when the item ships.

thank you, I thought it would never ship can you answer how many days are maximum?

danwat1234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danwat1234

Should I rinse my tablet with cold water before first use?

bjfranck

Works great with Netflix.

Stock browser has flash, and Chrome does not.

midnight917 wrote:2 questions

1. Does this support flash or not? I've read mixed things, even from 2 different users. My understanding was that Adobe no longer supports flash for new models/OS (past 4.1) but since this has 4.0, it should still support it.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt
midnight917 wrote:2 questions

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/adobe-confirms-it-wont-support-flash-on-android-4-1/

Adobe confirms it won't support Flash on Android 4.1, stops new Flash installs from Google Play on August 15th

June 28th, 2012

gak0090

quality posts: 77 Private Messages gak0090

Decent tablet priced about $30 too high for a woot- especially considering a new Nexus 7 is not much more.

Not Impressed

ronfronberg

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ronfronberg

For Hulu fans the Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 are supported. I am not sure if the Galaxy Tab 2 includes Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

noranora

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noranora

just doing my part to green the fair state of Ohio.

ALSO, I'm becoming a little paranoid Woot, in the past year (maybe) I have been shopping around for something (such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0) and all of a sudden Woot has "it" as their deal of the day. I had this very item in my cart at Walmart, checked my bank account, and decided to think about it for a little to make sure I wanted to spend the $50 extra or get a Kindle Fire. Lo and Behold I start reading my email and what to my wondering eyes should appear? You got it...
I got a new computer because there were little aliens in my old one spying on me. I got a laptop because I didn't think they'd fit. Did they shrink or are they in my big, clunky, old router? What do you Wooters think, should I burn that too?

***Woot, can I have a job?***