5%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple 11.6" Dual-Core i5 MacBook Air
$779.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 30 Private Messages skispeakeasy

I predict a sellout.

Done and done! ;)

superman425

quality posts: 10 Private Messages superman425

Will it work with my PC?

disturbed0ne

quality posts: 9 Private Messages disturbed0ne

Is this compatible with my...oh nevermind.

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

Yay! This will, undoubtedly, work with a Mac. In fact, it will work AS a Mac.
-=C=-

devin000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages devin000

I have yet to convince myself to pull the trigger on a laptop within the 24 hour Woot window but I am tempted.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

If you don't want to wait for it to ship and are near a MicroCenter, they have them on sale for $799.99.

magorphenger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magorphenger

Sold out before 4 AM : +180
Sold out before 10 AM : EVEN
Sold out before Noon : -120
Sold out before 4 PM : - 400

Chronological Reorder

jkgm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkgm

This is a great little laptop, and exponentially better than the $300 netbooks they were selling a couple of years back.

The one thing to watch on this particular model is that it's only got 2GB of RAM, and it isn't upgradeable.

jpstrings

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jpstrings

cheaper at http://www.ecost.com/p/6842203?source=EWBGOOGLEBASE $759.99

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3284 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

$769.99 with free shipping at macmall.com

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-Notebook-Computers/product~dpno~8815560~pdp.giecbbd?store=macmall&source=MWBSEMGMACBKAIR&gclid=CL6J7syPlrICFeeDQgodjW0AlQ

curtise

quality posts: 20 Private Messages curtise

The MacBook Air can also be used as a kitchen tool to slice fruit as evidenced here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=664H5FQPCCk
But it probably is best to just play Fruit Ninja on it instead.
-=C=-

afwalton

quality posts: 8 Private Messages afwalton
devin000 wrote:I have yet to convince myself to pull the trigger on a laptop within the 24 hour Woot window but I am tempted.

I'm betting this one won't be a 24-hour window.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr

The refurb version is $749 directly from Apple and it comes with Oh Ess-Ex 10.8 Cougar Lady with free shipping but you will have to pay taxes.

The Woot! version comes with Oh Ess-Ex 10.7 Lyin' but is exactly the same otherwise with no taxes (except for Texas... hahaha), $5 shipping and it's New (if you care about that).

The Winner is Woot! by a solid $20 because my State charges 7% sales tax which would make it a total of $801 and change.

So the moral of the story is Woot! now, Woot! later & Woot! some more and score $5 shipping on all the crap you buy.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

My first impression was... It's only a Dual core and they want almost $800?

My wife of course responded with "It's a Mac".

So, yeah, it's a Mac and I guess if that means anything to you then go for it. I don't see the value here.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
jkgm wrote:This is a great little laptop, and exponentially better than the $300 netbooks they were selling a couple of years back.

At more than 2x that price, I should hope so!

halperez

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halperez

If you don't mind refurbished, you can get it cheaper from Apple. $749. Heck, I think Apple has a pretty good idea on how to refurbish their products. Actually, if you don't have to have the latest and greatest Apple product, a refurbished Apple is one of the best deals around.

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5

smilidon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smilidon

Or if you want a Core-I7 with double the ram and hard drive, faster read/write speeds and triple boot Windows 8, Linux Mint and OSX Lion send me $800 bucks and I'll get to keep $200. Take it from a computer tech of 10 years at a college that utilizes both platforms, its never a good investment to buy mac anything. "It just works" is the biggest crock since Milly-Vanilly singing. And the anti-virus sucks. Yes they do and have gotten viruses and malware.

juvemisfit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages juvemisfit

The guts for this machine are acceptable, but the only problem I have with the Airs is that they are too light. I know it is not going to snap when I pick it up, but it just feels that way. Maybe if the weight was more distributed towards the front I would be more fine with it.

*Not an owner, but have done some tech support for them

afwalton

quality posts: 8 Private Messages afwalton
smilidon wrote:Or if you want a Core-I7 with double the ram and hard drive, faster read/write speeds and triple boot Windows 8, Linux Mint and OSX Lion send me $800 bucks and I'll get to keep $200. Take it from a computer tech of 10 years at a college that utilizes both platforms, its never a good investment to buy mac anything. "It just works" is the biggest crock since Milly-Vanilly singing. And the anti-virus sucks. Yes they do and have gotten viruses and malware.

Name the virus.

BlueVoter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages BlueVoter

This Air has only a 64Gb SSD. MacOS takes about 10Gb, so there's not so much left for your apps, music, and videos. I would pass on this one and get one with a larger SSD.

crisss1205

quality posts: 5 Private Messages crisss1205
smilidon wrote:Or if you want a Core-I7 with double the ram and hard drive, faster read/write speeds and triple boot Windows 8, Linux Mint and OSX Lion send me $800 bucks and I'll get to keep $200. Take it from a computer tech of 10 years at a college that utilizes both platforms, its never a good investment to buy mac anything. "It just works" is the biggest crock since Milly-Vanilly singing. And the anti-virus sucks. Yes they do and have gotten viruses and malware.

If you're so smart and a computer tech,. Please explain to me how this hard drive you are talking about has faster read/write speeds than a SDD in a MBA? I call BS. And name these viruses you speak of!

Australia_

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Australia_

Very pleased with my Air. Use it for traveling and internet browsing on the go. Sturdy machine too, it won't break even if you're a little rough with it. Battery life is fantastic, the start up and shutdown is better than anything out there. Yeah it's not super cheap, but I feel like you get what you pay for. With that being said, I love my desktop PC, I'll always be a PC fan, but for my needs, the Air was perfect. I'll never abandon my PC though, there is a nice trade-off.

Firerouge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Firerouge
afwalton wrote:Name the virus.

Here are just the spyware: http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

Shinespark

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Shinespark
afwalton wrote:Name the virus.

The first self propagating computer virus conceived was for an Apple II.

juvemisfit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages juvemisfit
crisss1205 wrote:Please explain to me how this hard drive you are talking about has faster read/write speeds than a SDD in a MBA? I call BS.

Not all SSD's are created equal. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/ssd-charts-2011/benchmarks,129.html

fuzi719

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fuzi719

Oooo! Overpriced trinket that will surely impress all the other fashionistas at Starbucks!

Too bad Apple products have such a poor reliability rating. Several friends who have these things spend lots of time at the Apple store getting them repaired (or replaced). Yet, like a cult, the friends swear they'll never buy anything else. The Kool-Aid is strong.

Shinespark

crisss1205 wrote:If you're so smart and a computer tech,. Please explain to me how this hard drive you are talking about has faster read/write speeds than a SDD in a MBA? I call BS. And name these viruses you speak of!

Probably because his hard drive is a faster solid state. Being nonvolatile memory, it is a hard drive.

geredeth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages geredeth

@Orcrist42

Yeah, I am a bit confused by the price-specs ratio as well, I mean more-so than normal...
Graphics: Intel GMA HD 3000 (Up to 256MB)
Memory: 2GB DDR3 1333MHz
Hard Drive: 64GB SSD

And the battery lasts for 5 hours? I know it is a Mac, but still, this is old tech.
But with the O/S install of 8 gigs, I guess that does leave room for a game or two (last seasons games, but still) after installing any Office, or Office-type programs.

One reviewer on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC968LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIN1E makes an interesting case, "Battery life when not under heavy load is good. I can web browse, and as long as I stay away from Flash websites, can do it for several hours. However, under load the 5 hours Apple promises for wireless web browsing becomes sub two hours. If the fan is on, the battery will not last, so it becomes time to figure out which page is running Flash, or which application is hogging all the CPU cycles. For example, I can drain the battery in about 2 hours 20 minutes watching full screen Netflix--which uses the Microsoft Silverlight plugin--over WiFi"

While I am hardly a Mac fan, I sort of expected better, since battery life tends to be something I have come to associate with their devices.

From the specs, I imagine this would make a good "Kid's first laptop" if you want to keep Macs in the family, since this is pretty expensive for a word-processor.

they2pproblem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages they2pproblem

Will Apple still support this laptop once Tandy forces them to stop selling it because Apple's copying the GRiD clamshell design?

crisss1205

Firerouge wrote:Here are just the spyware: http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/

Spyware doesn't mean it is a virus. There are no true viruses for Mac OS X today. A true virus self replicates and infects computers with no user interaction. Like a human virus.

spaceboy666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaceboy666

They are $769.99 with free shipping from MacMall.com an authorized apple reseller.

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Air/product~dpno~8815560~pdp.giecbbd

Shinespark

fuzi719 wrote:Oooo! Overpriced trinket that will surely impress all the other fashionistas at Starbucks!

Too bad Apple products have such a poor reliability rating. Several friends who have these things spend lots of time at the Apple store getting them repaired (or replaced). Yet, like a cult, the friends swear they'll never buy anything else. The Kool-Aid is strong.

Anecdotes about friends are not a reliable source of statistical data.

That being said, Apple laptops rate above average in reliability, but not outside say a standard deviation and it does lag behind, say, Asus in failure rate.

blazesenpai

quality posts: 8 Private Messages blazesenpai

Just so people know these are still technically light use laptops. The Intel GPU's (up until the 3/4k ones are only really good at playing movies, the 2GB of RAM might keep you from running too many things at once, and you'll need external storage in a short hurry if you don't keep all your data in a cloud (or on a server in your house), so make sure you're not trying to run an 8th of the world on these, you won't get far.

crisss1205

Shinespark wrote:Probably because his hard drive is a faster solid state. Being nonvolatile memory, it is a hard drive.

A hard drive has a hard spinning disk. An SSD is not a hard drive. A hard drive can be nonvolatile but also consist of spinning disks.

cicatrize

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cicatrize

I never thought anything at Woot would be overpriced, but nay, an Apple computer appears.

Still a boatload of money for terrible specs, even at woot.

spaceboy666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spaceboy666

$10 less on MacMall and free shipping.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

noshirt wrote:Woot, why do you delet comments that you don't like? You deleted two of mine already and I didn't sau anything bad about this product. I only pointed out that you claimed in your own write up that all failed products come to Woot so this must be one, right?

The comments not about the product were outnumbering the comments about the product. We do try to keep comments in the product threads focused on the product. Nothing personal.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ugrasse2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ugrasse2
jkgm wrote:This is a great little laptop, and exponentially better than the $300 netbooks they were selling a couple of years back.

I think you got your math wrong here. At best, this laptop could be proportionally better. I bought a $300 netbook that's dual-core, has 2GB or RAM and a 250GB harddrive. If this Mac was "exponentially better" at three times the price, it would need to have 16 cores, 16GB of ram and a 2TB harddrive.

jkgm wrote:The one thing to watch on this particular model is that it's only got 2GB of RAM, and it isn't upgradeable.

It's not? Why not? Why does everyone keep buying these WAY overpriced devices with built-in obsolescence? Don't get me wrong, I like my MBP which I need to write iThing apps -- but it's upgradeable. To sell a 12" netbook for $1,000 that can't be upgraded borders on fraud. Knocking it down to $800 doesn't make it any better.