wpolyak

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wpolyak

The only thing keeping me from buying this is the shipping. Only standard(smartpost) shipping. I barely trust smartpost with BofC's, I would rather spend extra $ for a more reliable and quicker shipping option.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wpolyak wrote:The only thing keeping me from buying this is the shipping. Only standard(smartpost) shipping. I barely trust smartpost with BofC's, I would rather spend extra $ for a more reliable and quicker shipping option.

FWIW, this is being drop shipped directly from the vendor. It may not be SmartPost.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
xaveng3rx wrote:I bought this watch (all black) about 3 months ago on amazon.com for $151. Cheapest I could find at the time... This is my dream watch and it works great. I only use it for fancy occasions. If you wind it all the way, it lasts about 2 days. Its mechanical because its the 50th anniversary series watch for Invicta, which means when they started, they didn't use batteries. also, this watch isn't worth $995. Its worth $1395. If you don't believe, buy one and check the plastic Invicta Logo price tag. It is obviously a waterproof watch, so It needs a cap on the crank/knob so it can protect the insides of the watch from water damage. The chain is so you don't lose the cap and it looks nice. It comes with a warranty and a beautiful yellow watch box.

Wow do you have a lot to learn about marketing. Invicta can put a MSRP of $995 or $1995 it has absolutely no connection to the actual value of the watch. Look up P.T. Barnum on Wikipedia and take notes. Oh, by the way, hang on to that warranty. You're going to need it but after you find out how much they charge in fees related to warranty repair (most problems are somehow not covered under the warranty) you'll probably not bother to fix it.

ewidener21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ewidener21

I've been looking for a nice looking mechanical skeleton watch for a while now. Good thing I'm left-handed, makes this an added bonus, in for one!

compoundbreak791

quality posts: 1 Private Messages compoundbreak791
tech stuff wrote:are these watches for left-handers? usually the winding mechanism is on the right side of the watch and worn on the left wrist (for right handers). hmmmm.....

This really would make the watch ideal for person who wears time pieces on their right arm. Although I do wear my watch on my left, I would consider this a unique one, especially because I have already bought this item prior to noticing it this detail.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
iteststuff wrote:As a side note, according to US Navy dive tables, it would require a minimum of 12 minutes to safely surface from this depth. If this watch can truly handle such a depth, this is a cool watch

A 50m watch is only good for washing the dishes and such. 100m watch is good for swimming and snorkeling. 200m is adequate for recreational scuba diving. This is all due to the static pressure they are tested in and the dynamic pressure one encounters in real life.

Once can ascend at 66ft/min at depth and 33ft/min in shallower depth, so you can come up from 50m in about 4 min if you had to.

txyaloo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txyaloo
tech stuff wrote:are these watches for left-handers? usually the winding mechanism is on the right side of the watch and worn on the left wrist (for right handers). hmmmm.....

A lot of expensive dive watches have the crown on the left hand side. Take a look at the Omega Ploprof, any of the Graham watches, the U-Boat, etc. This is usually due to the large crown or chrono-pushers. If they were on the right side, they would get pushed every time your wrist is bent upwards.

zofer11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zofer11
bookofjoshua wrote:Nice catch, either that or, they were put together upside down.....

Invicta does have a hefty lefty selection, maybe they were using an old ussr quota for left watches by mistake and there is the catch on the woot deal. Left wing overstock ! LolKk

Whoops I did it again : /

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller

I think that it is for doing time in Siberia. They chain your leg to a steel ball so you don't go anywhere and they chain the crown to the watch so it doesn't go anywhere. It's really brilliant!

mboverload wrote:What is that chain? It's not addressed in the description.

jjjooe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jjjooe
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey All!

I'm trying to get some information on the movement for Model 1843 (Silver with Black) to see if it's Mechanical Hand Wind like the others. Unfortunately, it'll might be morning before I can get that information.

I'm quite sure that it's Automatic self wind as described in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1843-Mechanical-Skeleton-Polyurethane/dp/B006DHZQGM/

nansea53

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nansea53

Okay...

Is it just me, or has anyone else considered that the chain holding the cap on the crown is going to get caught on something and break?

dreprince

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreprince
HughHemington wrote:Brought to you by the people who built the K19 and Kursk! Spared no expense. No really, this time they mean it.

And who was the genius who decided to apply the term "skeleton" to a diver's watch?

No brought to you by the people who fly your astronauts into space cause US doesn't even have a shuttle.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
jjjooe wrote:I'm quite sure that it's Automatic self wind as described in Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1843-Mechanical-Skeleton-Polyurethane/dp/B006DHZQGM/

I'm quite sure that it *isn't* self-winding; look at the photo of the back of the watch: there is NO counterweight in that mechanism.

buysumtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime

Just to make a few points without any comedic attempts:

1-Invicta (along with most lower end watch companies)inflates their suggested retail price to some astronomical amount to give the perception that the item is worth far more than it really is. It doesn't mean this is a bad watch watch, just not one worth anywhere near the MSRP. Heck, pretty much any jewelry company does the same, let alone watches. Just go to a jewelry store and watch the salesperson reduce the price of an item 50 to 70 percent to start. Jewelry and watches have crazy retail prices markups, but it is all BS!

2-This watch is only a "diver" watch in styling, not function. It is designed to look like an embellished older Russian style. Nothing about this watch should make anyone believe that it could actually be used for diving.

3-water resistance is a tricky number in watches. When a company rates a watch for water resistance, the number given is a number that reflects the water resistance in a static environment (meaning perfectly still water, no movement). Of course, a watch won't be in a static environment when being worn, so the real number is much lower. Best you could safely wear this watch would be in a pool, and that is probably pushing it a little, but the rating "should" be safe for swimming.

4-Russian is again, just a term used to indicate the design. Just so everyone is clear, this watch is not made in Russia. The parts, movement, etc. are all either Chinese or at best, Japanese. Again, this doesn't mean these watches are cheap, junk, etc. Most watches that can be bought for under $500 utilize these types of materials, especially when they are mechanical movements, not quartz.

5-The movements shown in the pictures are all hand wind movements. None are automatic, or self winding, or whatever other terminology one wants to use for a watch that winds itself while being worn. If anyone is interested, I would assume any watch you decide to order will be a hand wind movement.

Just to be clear, i am not bashing Invicta with this post. On the contrary, I have been buying and selling watches for over a decade (my screen name actually has a meaning!)and have always liked Invictas quality in relation to their "real" selling prices. The things I noted would hold true for most low cost watch companies.

Hope this post helps answer some questions.

dliidlii

jjjooe wrote:I'm quite sure that it's Automatic self wind as described in Amazon:

That same page has a reviewer who mentions he has to WIND the watch every day.

snafu2u

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snafu2u

A few years back, I picked up a handsome knockoff watch in China for a song. I've been wondering when I'd finally see the same watch movement in the US...
I prefer it in my watch case however:

Looks like they rotated the movement 180 degrees to make it for lefties. And of course didn't add all the illegal trademarked logos and company name (roll eyes)

So I can say that this watch movement does keep accurate time and has good detail that non-watch enthusiasts will be impressed with. Horologists will of course scoff; If you don't know and don't care what a horologist is, then don't worry about it as Jaeger-LeCoultre is probably not on your shopping list. ;*)

In a nutshell, these watches have one of the nicer movements that the knockoff market in China was making a few years back. Just don't (especially at this price) expect it to last more than a few years.

dliidlii

$12 from meritline. http://www.meritline.com/mens-sports-diving-watch-days---p-80729.aspx?clickid=VUVXakpBb0JDalFBQUc5UVQ2b0FBQU5n&source=dealnews
Men's Sports Diving Watch,50m Waterproof w/ EL Backlit/ Days / Alarm Clock / Stopwatch
Material: Stainless steel (back of case) + Alloy housing + Rubber watchband
Analogue and digital dual time zone displays sport diving watch
Digits display with blue EL backlight (date and time including sec. display)
12/24 hour format (selectable)
Features: pointer & digit display /Alarm clock / chime / stopwatch (1/100s)
50 meters waterproof (do not press any buttons in water)
Water resistant
Dial Diameter: 5cm
Wristband Length: 20.5cm
Powered by 1 x CR2016 battery (for digit display) &1 x SR626SW battery (for pointer display) (included)
Dimensions: 8.07 in x 1.97 in x 0.79 in (20.5 cm x5.0 cm x 2.0 cm)
Net Weight: 0.146 lb (66 g)
Gross Weight: 0.22 lb (102 g)

Sad part is it will probably work longer and be more accurate.

leechungsr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leechungsr
buysumtime wrote:Just to make a few points without any comedic attempts:

1-Invicta (along with most lower end watch companies)inflates their suggested retail price to some astronomical amount to give the perception that the item is worth far more than it really is. It doesn't mean this is a bad watch watch, just not one worth anywhere near the MSRP. Heck, pretty much any jewelry company does the same, let alone watches. Just go to a jewelry store and watch the salesperson reduce the price of an item 50 to 70 percent to start. Jewelry and watches have crazy retail prices markups, but it is all BS!

4-Russian is again, just a term used to indicate the design. Just so everyone is clear, this watch is not made in Russia. The parts, movement, etc. are all either Chinese or at best, Japanese. Again, this doesn't mean these watches are cheap, junk, etc. Most watches that can be bought for under $500 utilize these types of materials, especially when they are mechanical movements, not quartz.

This man has good watch knowledge. Listen to him.

FWIW, I believe this watch has a Seagull 3600K Mechanical movement. This is a chinese made movement. It is very hit or miss; does well for some, and horribly for others. It's more a decorative piece than a truly dependable watch.

Invicta is notorious for having ridiculous MSRPs.

They use many varied movements from chinese Sea Gull, Miyota, Swiss ETA, and Ronda.

Take a look at the Invicta's classic 8926 and 9937. Most people cannot tell much difference between the two but one costs nearly 3x; because not only the overall quality, but because it uses a much nicer swiss movement over the miyota (btw which is great in its own right).

When comparing invictas, it's important to know which movement you are getting to determine a proper price for a given model. I would take a Swiss ETA or Ronda over a Miyota or Chinese anyday!

buysumtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime
dliidlii wrote:$12 from meritline. http://www.meritline.com/mens-sports-diving-watch-days---p-80729.aspx?clickid=VUVXakpBb0JDalFBQUc5UVQ2b0FBQU5n&source=dealnews
Men's Sports Diving Watch,50m Waterproof w/ EL Backlit/ Days / Alarm Clock / Stopwatch
Material: Stainless steel (back of case) + Alloy housing + Rubber watchband
Analogue and digital dual time zone displays sport diving watch
Digits display with blue EL backlight (date and time including sec. display)
12/24 hour format (selectable)
Features: pointer & digit display /Alarm clock / chime / stopwatch (1/100s)
50 meters waterproof (do not press any buttons in water)
Water resistant
Dial Diameter: 5cm
Wristband Length: 20.5cm