nwater

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nwater

Some quick searches show its available all day long for $170 so don't be fooled by the MSRP. Still $80 off retail. Any day you can get a watch this nice for under $100 is a good day.

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100
radi0j0hn wrote:I have a simple rule for watches: if I am driving or busy, can I quickly glance at my dial and find out what time it is? I'm so old-fashioned.

Perhaps you should get a talking watch....? Many models are available on Amazon, and I've seen some in Chinatown for about $7. An atomic talking watch is even available on eBay for $10. I like the hourly time announcements. Probably not loud enough to be heard through trafic noise, though.

mikemiracle

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mikemiracle

"Made from real Russian Diver Skeletons"

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey All!

Just heard back and the buyer confirms that the movement for Model 1843 (Silver with Black) is mechanical "hand wind" like the others.

We apologize for the error. It is now corrected. If you were hoping for an auto wind and would like to cancel your order, you can email service@woot.com as always.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

MikeRaphone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MikeRaphone
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey All!

Just heard back and the buyer confirms that the movement for Model 1843 (Silver with Black) is mechanical "hand wind" like the others.

Jeeze, it's not even 8AM on the east coast....you work 24 hours a day??

ThunderThighs

Staff

MikeRaphone wrote:Jeeze, it's not even 8AM on the east coast....you work 24 hours a day??

ROFL. No, midnight until I can get away in the morning. Was just finishing up my status report when the email came in. I'll be heading to bed soon.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jtkirb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtkirb

All 4 watches are lefty. Search for all 4 part numbers on Amazon and most will say lefty.

The crown is covered with a cap and a chain retention.

They are very large, very heavy, very cool watches. Again, amazon will show you the actual prices and specs.

erastimus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erastimus

I'll stay with my Timex Weekender. $38 on sale at Kohls recently. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

teh215

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teh215

I had an Invicta skeletonized watch a few years back. They movement failed after about a month so, I sent it back. The replacement lasted about another month so, I sent it back as well and just got a refund. I have had terrible experiences with Invicta's quality. My 2¢.

compmikey

quality posts: 6 Private Messages compmikey
buysumtime wrote:Not trying to pick a fight, but what does the watch you mentioned have in comparison to the watch being sold here? I can't imagine anyone considering the watch being sold on Woot would be swayed by the item you listed. The style isn't even in the same ballpark. Anyone looking at the watch woot is selling is doing so because of the "look" of the watch.

Agreed. You may as well provide a link to a toaster. This is a look-see device for those who want "old school" on their wrist. Quality and accuracy are important however, and I really appreciate the Chinese vs. Swiss movement info.

lbmouse

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lbmouse
nmpls wrote:*Cough*
http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-1846-Mechanical-Skeleton-Polyurethane/dp/B006DHZS1U

Not saying $70 off isn't a good deal, but this isn't a $1000 watch.

[MOD: *cough* They have the same list price as we show though.]

[[To MOD: *cough* Why don't you just put the list price at a cool $1M? Then you can say it is 99.99999% off.]]

eng1ne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eng1ne
xaveng3rx wrote:... It is obviously a waterproof watch, so It needs a cap on the crank/knob so it can protect the insides of the watch from water damage. The chain is so you don't lose the cap and it looks nice. ...

Thank you, person who gets paid to write positive comments.

IMO, I think this watch is priced about right at $90, since it is obviously just a dress watch in the style of a diver watch. All of the styling touches that make it stand out are also potential negatives.

The crown is on the left so if you want to wind it or set it without taking it off, wear it on your right wrist. The crown cap and chain are for looks, not waterproofing -- dive watches usually use a screw-down crown to prevent water seeping in, and serious dive watches have a cap on an arm on top of that, to prevent the crown unscrewing underwater. Plus, there is no rotating bezel so it is much harder to use this watch for measuring rise times while diving.

Also, there is no second hand, which means the watch is only accurate to the minute. A clever way to get around the hack-ability debate and also potentially put in a terribly inaccurate movement. It may not even be a decent timepiece.

It is, however, huge and mechanical, with a transparent (show) back. Which means it is a conversation piece. Get it to show off to your friends, you might as well go super-flashy with one of the 'gold' models.

That's worth $90, right?

oddsbeater1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oddsbeater1
drummingcraig wrote:It attaches the screw down crown cap to the watch so you don't lose it. Also doubles as a bracelet for a really, really small person.

You gotta wind it up? WIND IT UP? This is the 21st century, people. We no longer wind our watches. We have others do it for us.

I think, therefore.."I-M".

bfcnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfcnet

I have never seen an Invicta watch being sold that wasn't heavily discounted. It's like department store jewelry, always on sale.

michschmid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michschmid

Where are they getting the $995 price tag???????? I guess $ 89 is a good deal, but normal selling price is from $110-$139!!

cypriiva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cypriiva

Most of the comments here are from people who don't own an Invicta. I have the version of this watch with an all-ceramic case and band. It's sturdy, reliable, etc. And it gets "ooh and ahs".

In terms of what something is worth, when you can get something that will tell the time pretty darn well for just a few dollars, it's hard to say a watch is worth much more than that unless it has specific features necessary to a certain use/environment, or can be melted down and sold as scrap metal.

That said, I don't care for all (or even most) of the Invicta watches, but those I like are fun to wear. I don't own Rolex, but have a RADO that I paid something over $1,300 for. I get just as much joy out of my sub-$200 Invicta, I could have a selection of 6 or 7 of them for the price of that one RADO. Something to think about.

cypriiva

oddsbeater1 wrote:You gotta wind it up? WIND IT UP? This is the 21st century, people. We no longer wind our watches. We have others do it for us.

I actually like that it is a wind-up. It's like owning a throw-back, and it makes me take a few seconds each day to be conscious of my watch. This perspective from a techie who works in the Internet industry all day... not someone living in a cave.

senorc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages senorc

50m of water resistance does not make a diving watch. A diving watch should be WR to at least 200m, and have some sort of illumination.

cypriiva

eng1ne wrote:
Also, there is no second hand, which means the watch is only accurate to the minute. A clever way to get around the hack-ability debate and also potentially put in a terribly inaccurate movement. It may not even be a decent timepiece.

It is, however, huge and mechanical, with a transparent (show) back. Which means it is a conversation piece. Get it to show off to your friends, you might as well go super-flashy with one of the 'gold' models.

That's worth $90, right?

While I don't disagree with you on your functionality comments (because, for one, I've never worn one of these watches underwater and don't intend to), let me correct one thing: there is a second hand. It's set separately at the 3 o'clock position (about half-way between the center and edge of the dial), and is very small. It's white, and it is evident in the picture... if you know to look in the right place. So not very functional, but it exists.

tanios

quality posts: 12 Private Messages tanios

The 12 minute rise time may also include the standard 5 minute offgas safety stop at 15ft or so for any dive going below 100'. As a general rule, I usually do a 5 minute safety stop every time I dive more than 20m (66', 2 atmospheres), just to be safe.

lwang wrote:A 50m watch is only good for washing the dishes and such. 100m watch is good for swimming and snorkeling. 200m is adequate for recreational scuba diving. This is all due to the static pressure they are tested in and the dynamic pressure one encounters in real life.

Once can ascend at 66ft/min at depth and 33ft/min in shallower depth, so you can come up from 50m in about 4 min if you had to.

dancote

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dancote

Why is the stem on the wrong side?

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
wootakane wrote:" the Westclox form factor."

Love,it---a true coffee-spit moment---thanks!

As a leftie, I would love to have a mechanical like this, but with no functional second hand I consider this about as useful as a sundial.

classydemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages classydemon

Thanks. This was, indeed, helpful. I'm casually looking for a good deal on a solid diving watch and went to comments specifically to find out if this was a true diving watch (It is VERY confusing out there - many watches are listed as diving watches and are not). Thank you again.

buysumtime wrote:Just to make a few points without any comedic attempts:

1-Invicta (along with most lower end watch companies)inflates their suggested retail price to some astronomical amount to give the perception that the item is worth far more than it really is. It doesn't mean this is a bad watch watch, just not one worth anywhere near the MSRP. Heck, pretty much any jewelry company does the same, let alone watches. Just go to a jewelry store and watch the salesperson reduce the price of an item 50 to 70 percent to start. Jewelry and watches have crazy retail prices markups, but it is all BS!

2-This watch is only a "diver" watch in styling, not function. It is designed to look like an embellished older Russian style. Nothing about this watch should make anyone believe that it could actually be used for diving.

3-water resistance is a tricky number in watches. When a company rates a watch for water resistance, the number given is a number that reflects the water resistance in a static environment (meaning perfectly still water, no movement). Of course, a watch won't be in a static environment when being worn, so the real number is much lower. Best you could safely wear this watch would be in a pool, and that is probably pushing it a little, but the rating "should" be safe for swimming.

4-Russian is again, just a term used to indicate the design. Just so everyone is clear, this watch is not made in Russia. The parts, movement, etc. are all either Chinese or at best, Japanese. Again, this doesn't mean these watches are cheap, junk, etc. Most watches that can be bought for under $500 utilize these types of materials, especially when they are mechanical movements, not quartz.

5-The movements shown in the pictures are all hand wind movements. None are automatic, or self winding, or whatever other terminology one wants to use for a watch that winds itself while being worn. If anyone is interested, I would assume any watch you decide to order will be a hand wind movement.

Just to be clear, i am not bashing Invicta with this post. On the contrary, I have been buying and selling watches for over a decade (my screen name actually has a meaning!)and have always liked Invictas quality in relation to their "real" selling prices. The things I noted would hold true for most low cost watch companies.

Hope this post helps answer some questions.

Hoopdrm819

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hoopdrm819

If you look harder you can find much better Invicta's for around $100.

passport531

quality posts: 0 Private Messages passport531
haltse wrote:It's,at best, about an $89 watch, like object. So many reasons to call this dive style because with no bezel or numerals it's akin to calling a soap box racer a car. As to the hyperbole from the writing bot to claim superior materials..really polyurethane? Whatever floats your boat but if it sinks this watch ain't likely to come out of it too well. MSRP on invictas are always insane to make it look like you are getting a bargain , pretty poor woot.

I agree - junk at an insane price.
You would be much better off with a Timex or a G-Shock.

clangaiscioch

quality posts: 8 Private Messages clangaiscioch

My husband has a Fendi nautical watch with a yellow face that is self-winding, etc. Will this be a decent option for a secondary? He currently wears a cheap Timex when not in Garrison.

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

This watch is huge, nearly 2 inches across and over 1/2 inch thick.
(1 inch = 25.4 mm)
Just saying.

On the plus side, it might help reduce your need for dive weights too! And for non-divers, you can switch your wearing between wrists to split the workout?

Shame you can only get 3 colors... curse you Woot!

joe3eagles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joe3eagles
andocommanndo wrote:Ahh.. the wistwatch was inwented in Wussia

LOL! This guy has obviously never listened to Chekov in the original Star Trek.

theheartwoodstudio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theheartwoodstudio

In Soviet Russia, watch wears you.

ThunderThighs

Staff

lbmouse wrote:[[To MOD: *cough* Why don't you just put the list price at a cool $1M? Then you can say it is 99.99999% off.]]

Maybe the list price was stated in Rubles by accident.

FORUM MODERATOR

SNOWMAN352

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SNOWMAN352

First, the thing with the chain on it is a screw down crown cover. It is typical on russian watches and maintains the water resistance of the watch. Second, this watch was never worth the msrp. It was made in china for $30 and isnt worth the $89 buch less a thousand.

LambertJohn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LambertJohn
mechanicsc wrote:For what it's worth, I have owned two Invictas and they were both pieces of garbage that had problems within 6 months of purchase. Warranty claims were ignored. I'll never buy one of their watches again.

I agree. I've owned this brand of watch before and it's nothing but junk. But a Citizen or a Hamilton, even a Timex; anything but Invicta.

Richdoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Richdoe
andocommanndo wrote:Ahh.. the wistwatch was inwented in Wussia

Are you trying to be Russian or elmer fud?

wearemany

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wearemany

I like the look of the watch but the silly chain is a deal breaker for me.

jaferson

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jaferson

That original MSRP is hilarious...

Bag of Coal
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
LambertJohn wrote:I agree. I've owned this brand of watch before and it's nothing but junk.

Not my experience at all, but YMMV. I'm wearing my Invicta 5998 right now. I couldn't be happier with it.

PTommins

quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins

Buyer Beware ! My one and only poor Woot purchase was an Invicta watch. It was dead when delivered. Never worked. Had the battery replaced and still never worked. Woot "suggested" I deal with Invicta to repair, but they wanted me to ship it to them along with a $25 money order for "handling" despite the watch being new, still on warranty, and costing less than $40. Woot finally came around and credited me my purchase price for the watch after I returned it to them.

Invicta makes a great looking watch, but I think their quality has gone way down. I don't believe these are Swiss-made watches.

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
PTommins wrote:...I don't believe these are Swiss-made watches.

You are right, they aren't, nor does Woot claim that they are. So, your point is what, exactly.

1stgenrex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1stgenrex
jbw072287 wrote:Most of those watches are at least $5k though, so I doubt you are going to find one for $90

Techne makes a mechanical Chrono for much less than $5K, and it's actually a pretty decent hand wound movement. There are others, I'm sure (just look for a Valjoux 7750 movement) but the one I mentioned is on the cheaper end of mechanical Chronographs.

kdc532

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdc532

I love the watch, but the band is crap. If you like the way that looks, but you're like me and you don't wear plastic... a similar POCKETWATCH is for sale all across the internet, and it's even cheaper than this.