bcantrelle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcantrelle

ummm ... the wind pin/chain are on the wrong side if you wear the watch on your left wrist.

pixelz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages pixelz

Ridiculous, MSRP should be abolished and replaced with APO, average price online from the top 100 etailers.

StanleyS


quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
pixelz wrote:Ridiculous, MSRP should be abolished and replaced with APO, average price online from the top 100 etailers.



But then you won't be able to brag to your friends that you snagged a $1000 watch for $90.

lidodido


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lidodido

God damn it! Would've bought one right away if you shipped internationally... =(

StanleyS


quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
lidodido wrote:God damn it! Would've bought one right away if you shipped internationally... =(



You must be here just for the entertainment value...Woot has never shipped internationally.

lidodido


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lidodido
StanleyS wrote:You must be here just for the entertainment value...Woot has never shipped internationally.



The t-shirts do, I usually check them out. Thought the shipping for t-shirts was the same for everything so I've checked it out a couple of times a week lately. No point now though...

cmbezln


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmbezln

Is this really what woot is becoming? Selling homework chinese watches to brainiacs and claiming absurd MSRP?

If you buy this watch, you're a fool.

cmbezln


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmbezln
nwater wrote:Some quick searches show its available all day long for $170 so don't be fooled by the MSRP. Still $80 off retail. Any day you can get a watch this nice for under $100 is a good day.



LOL @ "nice"

If you don't know about watches, you really shouldn't be commenting.

broken14him


quality posts: 0 Private Messages broken14him

I'm doing everything I can to cancel my order, but there's no good way of getting in touch with customer service. I've sent them several emails, but no luck so far. I've already called my credit card company and put them on standby as I'll have to do a charge back against woot and refuse the package once delivered if they don't reply. Please woot. I have no need of a watch that I have to wind by hand. Cancel that order. Thanks

cmbezln


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmbezln
broken14him wrote:I'm doing everything I can to cancel my order, but there's no good way of getting in touch with customer service. I've sent them several emails, but no luck so far. I've already called my credit card company and put them on standby as I'll have to do a charge back against woot and refuse the package once delivered if they don't reply. Please woot. I have no need of a watch that I have to wind by hand. Cancel that order. Thanks



Having a hand-wind watch is no big deal. Having a homework, chinese, overpriced garbage, ugly hand-wind watch is worth fighting to cancel.

ghengiskhan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghengiskhan

Wear this watch while diving and you will never surface. it weighs a ton. It's so big, you'll need a buddy diver to hold your arm. Not worth $70 - maybe 29.95 and that as an ornament on your weight belt.

hehthuryo


quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

This watch is made well and looks like you paid a lot more for it. However, the cap on the side makes it unbearable to wear. Any time you move your wrist or hands, it feels like you're being poked with a steel rod. Not an everyday watch--too uncomfortable. I might wear it for a night out but not daily.

DennisWKam


quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

broken14him wrote:I'm doing everything I can to cancel my order, but there's no good way of getting in touch with customer service. I've sent them several emails, but no luck so far. I've already called my credit card company and put them on standby as I'll have to do a charge back against woot and refuse the package once delivered if they don't reply. Please woot. I have no need of a watch that I have to wind by hand. Cancel that order. Thanks



Just wanted to let you know that we were able to catch your order and cancel it.

It can sometimes take the refund a few days to post to your account.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
broken14him wrote:I'm doing everything I can to cancel my order, but there's no good way of getting in touch with customer service. I've sent them several emails, but no luck so far. I've already called my credit card company and put them on standby as I'll have to do a charge back against woot and refuse the package once delivered if they don't reply. Please woot. I have no need of a watch that I have to wind by hand. Cancel that order. Thanks



DON'T WORRY ... sometimes it takes them a few hours or even a day to respond. And the watch won't ship out today so there's time to get it cancelled. In fact, it usually takes 2-3 days for an order to ship. And even if it does ship, Woot has ALWAYS been very good to me in terms of cancellations. Especially since this was clearly their mistake. They'll even send you a free shipping label if necessary to mail it back. And no, you won't even have to bring it to the post office; the return service does pickups.

PTommins


quality posts: 7 Private Messages PTommins
StanleyS wrote:You are right, they aren't, nor does Woot claim that they are. So, your point is what, exactly.



Invicta was a Swiss company founded in the 1830's that made Swiss mechanical timepieces for over 150 years. The name is representative of a swiss-made watch...not a piece of China crap.

Based on your limited Woot purchases, I can see how this information might not be useful to you.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
buysumtime wrote:This watch is only a "diver" watch in styling, not function. It is designed to look like an embellished older Russian style. Nothing about this watch should make anyone believe that it could actually be used for diving.



If you want a real RUSSIAN diver's watch, look into Vostok. They were designated the official supplier of timepieces to Soviet military in the 1960sso you can't get any more Russian than that. And because of the Cold War, everything was made in-house. So unlike many European makers, they don't import Swiss, Japanese or Chinese movements. I heard that they filed for bankruptcy in 2010 (but the company is still running) so Vostok watches may soon become collectibles.

If you don't mind being a little less authentic, go for a Vostok-Europe watch, which a joint European venture with the original Vostok. A friend owns the Vostok-Europe Men's OS2B/5465160 Ekranoplan Quartz Chronograph Diver and loves it. It comes with a leather strap and silicone band for diving. It's rated for 20ATM (660 feet) and has Tritium tubes for continuous glowing without exposure to light. Even the chronograph hands, i.e. stopwatch, has Tritium tubes. They actually make several Tritium diver watches, including non-quartz automatic ones, so look on Amazon if you're interested. And none of them have that silly chain! See video below.


shaneac1


quality posts: 1 Private Messages shaneac1

no this is not a true dive watch if you want a true dive watch i would recommend the invicta venom it is good for 1000 meters which is good enough for deep sea diving i have one and it is a huge heavy watch and i paid 335 dollars for it the russian diver is a nice diver styled watch but not a true diver watch

ghengiskhan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghengiskhan
cypriiva wrote:Most of the comments here are from people who don't own an Invicta. I have the version of this watch with an all-ceramic case and band. It's sturdy, reliable, etc. And it gets "ooh and ahs".

In terms of what something is worth, when you can get something that will tell the time pretty darn well for just a few dollars, it's hard to say a watch is worth much more than that unless it has specific features necessary to a certain use/environment, or can be melted down and sold as scrap metal.

That said, I don't care for all (or even most) of the Invicta watches, but those I like are fun to wear. I don't own Rolex, but have a RADO that I paid something over $1,300 for. I get just as much joy out of my sub-$200 Invicta, I could have a selection of 6 or 7 of them for the price of that one RADO. Something to think about.



I've own EVICTAs I mean INVICTAS as well and my experience did not match yours. To each his own - it is, by any measure, a cheaply built watch.

StanleyS


quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
PTommins wrote:Invicta was a Swiss company founded in the 1830's that made Swiss mechanical timepieces for over 150 years. The name is representative of a swiss-made watch...not a piece of China crap.



And some of their current watches may still have Swiss movements; this one doesn't and you can't expect many Wooters to know, or care about, Invicta's history. Woot sells many items whose brand names have been taken over and slapped on crap. Please come back and point those out, too, next time Woot sells such.
I have an Invicta (paid $150). I'll bet it doesn't have a "Swiss movement", whatever you may *think* that means.

joecooool


quality posts: 20 Private Messages joecooool

I own the batter powered version of this watch. Please note that this is a MASSIVE watch. I weigh close to 200 lbs and it looks absurd on me. My friends refer to it as my Flava Flav watch. The face is about the same size as a silver dollar.

It also weighs about a quarter of a pound.

I like it but please don't think for a minute that its any kind of diver or work watch. Its all looks. I'm sure that if I smacked it like my GShock gets treated, it would be broke in a week.

Also, if you work on things in small spaces, this watch will not work for you. Its just too big.

elwappo99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elwappo99

I really like the look of this watch, but the general consensus is that it's not such great quality.

Anyone recommend some skeleton watches that look nice?

sleetish


quality posts: 2 Private Messages sleetish
txyaloo wrote:A lot of expensive dive watches have the crown on the left hand side. Take a look at the Omega Ploprof, any of the Graham watches, the U-Boat, etc. This is usually due to the large crown or chrono-pushers. If they were on the right side, they would get pushed every time your wrist is bent upwards.



Yeah, it's my understanding that because these things are so huge, they put it on the left side so that you can bend your wrist comfortably.

It makes sense. I know someone who had one of these with a normal build that couldn't stand it because he lost range of motion in his wrist when he wore it.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
elwappo99 wrote:I really like the look of this watch, but the general consensus is that it's not such great quality.

Anyone recommend some skeleton watches that look nice?



Any Corum Bridge watch, but most cost more than $15,000. See this post for much cheaper alternatives. Then again, I'm partial to skeleton bridge movements. I have several skeleton watches and the bridge one gets the most raves.

elwappo99


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elwappo99
sdc100 wrote:Any Corum Bridge watch, but most cost more than $15,000. See this post for much cheaper alternatives. Then again, I'm partial to skeleton bridge movements. I have several skeleton watches and the bridge one gets the most raves.



haha! I certainly wasn't hoping to spend that much =) I did see your post and another user's post a few pages back and added those to a list that I'm researching.

joecooool


quality posts: 20 Private Messages joecooool
sdc100 wrote:If you want a real RUSSIAN diver's watch, look into Vostok. They were designated the official supplier of timepieces to Soviet military in the 1960sso you can't get any more Russian than that. And because of the Cold War, everything was made in-house. So unlike many European makers, they don't import Swiss, Japanese or Chinese movements. I heard that they filed for bankruptcy in 2010 (but the company is still running) so Vostok watches may soon become collectibles.

If you don't mind being a little less authentic, go for a Vostok-Europe watch, which a joint European venture with the original Vostok. A friend owns the Vostok-Europe Men's OS2B/5465160 Ekranoplan Quartz Chronograph Diver and loves it. It comes with a leather strap and silicone band for diving. It's rated for 20ATM (660 feet) and has Tritium tubes for continuous glowing without exposure to light. They actually make several Tritium diver watches, including non-quartz automatic ones, so look on Amazon if you're interested. And none of them have that silly chain! See video below.





Any "dive watch" with a leather band is all show and no go. Leather disintegrates in salt water. Dive watches have stainless steel, rubber or nylon bands.

curlymcgee


quality posts: 0 Private Messages curlymcgee

Anyone ever seen the site dynamitetime.com? They list plenty of these Invicta watches. Ordered one before to see and it was pretty cheap. Glass was scratched very easily. That website will give you all you need to know about how much they mark up their prices.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
elwappo99 wrote:haha! I certainly wasn't hoping to spend that much =) I did see your post and another user's post a few pages back and added those to a list that I'm researching.



The easiest way to search is to simply go on Amazon and search on "skeleton watch." And if you're interested, search "bridge movement watch." Also subscribe to ChronoShark. They sell genuine watches at amazingly cheap prices. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee. My friend got the above Vostok diver for about $200 (when everyone else was selling it for over $500), and I've gotten a $1700 Movado for $300. While it's true that watch companies usually inflate their prices, I get all my expensive watches professionally appraised and all ChronoShark purchases have been proven genuine, and appraised for what ChronoShark claims. I use William Barthman in NYC, arguably one of the country's most famous appraisers. That Appraisal Certificate means a lot for insurance or resale purposes. If it's fake or overvalued, I simply send it back within the 30 days.

BTW, don't trust your appraiser if s/he simply looks at the watch for 5 mins and do some checking in books or the Internet. Their appraisal certificates are worth nothing. My appraiser at William Barthman took about a week because he had a list of clients before me, and because true authenticating involves opening up the watch to verify that the movement and parts are genuine. Chinese knockoff are so good these days that you have to look at the innards. I think s/he will also verify that the Serial Number hasn't already been registered (if your watch is supposedly new), and Limited Edition watches are truly limited. At least one of my supposedly Limited Edition watches weren't. Good appraisal costs more but it's worth it to have the peace of mind.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
joecooool wrote:Any "dive watch" with a leather band is all show and no go. Leather disintegrates in salt water. Dive watches have stainless steel, rubber or nylon bands.



Note that I wrote,"it comes with a leather strap and SILICONE BAND FOR DIVING." You can choose what to use. I know because I'm the one to help my friend change bands when he dives. And the buckle is amazing. Here's a photo I found on FLicker using the silicone/rubber/plastic band.

nnssandman


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnssandman
nmpls wrote:Just because the manufacturer lists a crazy MSRP that no one ever sells for doesn't make it a real price.
This is a $200 watch at best.


Agreed. These watches are $80-$150 all over the Internet. Buy this watch because you like it, not because you think it is a good deal. I personally don't care for it.

Cyberimpulse


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Cyberimpulse

I own several Invicta watches. They are great! I have one that has the same body type as this however it isn't a skeleton style. I have several other skeleton watches and would with the size of this watch you could stare at it for hours watching the inner workings. All in all this would be an excellent addition to any collection. Just wish I had the funds.

Invisiblemoose


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
sdc100 wrote:If you want a real RUSSIAN diver's watch, look into Vostok.


I don't dive or wear a watch, but somehow now I really want a Soviet-made Vostok diver's watch.

Thanks.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
Invisiblemoose wrote:I don't dive or wear a watch, but somehow now I really want a Soviet-made Vostok diver's watch.

Thanks.



Maybe you're just a Commie or Pinko at heart! Or maybe just a watch collector like me. I don't wear 80% of the watches I own, and have them simply as investments. Truth is, a $15 LCD watch with timer/stopwatch is more practical for my work (medical research) than my $1000+ watches. So my everyday watch is indeed a Casio Atomic Solar analog/digital watch that cost about $30.

PS - Watch out for bugs, hidden cameras and embedded poison or radiation pellets in your Russian watch!

megatron627


quality posts: 0 Private Messages megatron627
sdc100 wrote:Maybe you're just a Commie or Pinko at heart! Or maybe just a watch collector like me. I don't wear 80% of the watches I own, and have them simply as investments. Truth is, a $15 LCD watch with timer/stopwatch is more practical for my work (medical research) than my $1000+ watches. So my everyday watch is indeed a Casio Atomic Solar analog/digital watch that cost about $30.

PS - Watch out for bugs, hidden cameras and embedded poison or radiation pellets in your Russian watch!



Hey how soon do you think chronoshark will have that vostok watch? i really want one at the price your friend got it at. thanks

CSUSam


quality posts: 2 Private Messages CSUSam

Does anybody know how easy/hard it would be to replace the band with a metal one? I like everything about it but hate non leather/metal bands.

Thanks for the info!

griz13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages griz13
dliidlii wrote:Invicta is notorious for selling $50 watches at outrageous mark up prices. Most of their watches in this price category are less reliable than a Timex.


You're wrong. If you actually owned one of these you'd know how nice they are. I own several of these and They're all nicer than any Timex I've ever had.

griz13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages griz13
CSUSam wrote:Does anybody know how easy/hard it would be to replace the band with a metal one? I like everything about it but hate non leather/metal bands.

Thanks for the info!



Very Easy.

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100
CSUSam wrote:Does anybody know how easy/hard it would be to replace the band with a metal one? I like everything about it but hate non leather/metal bands.

Thanks for the info!



I don't have this watch but it looks like it uses standard size pins to hold the band in place. If true, it should be VERY easy to replace. YOu can find the below watch repair/adjustment kit on Amazon and eBay for under $10 which will allow to to replace and resize watchbands. I got mine for $5. Or spend a little money at a store and have them replace the band for you.

While I don't recommend anyone trying to adjust expensive or collectible watches, this kit is perfect for cheap Invictas like this one.

griz13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages griz13
curlymcgee wrote:Anyone ever seen the site dynamitetime.com? They list plenty of these Invicta watches. Ordered one before to see and it was pretty cheap. Glass was scratched very easily. That website will give you all you need to know about how much they mark up their prices.



I have four of these watches - I've never had the crystal scratch, and I'm pretty damn hard on my watches.

buysumtime


quality posts: 3 Private Messages buysumtime
classydemon wrote:Thanks. This was, indeed, helpful. I'm casually looking for a good deal on a solid diving watch and went to comments specifically to find out if this was a true diving watch (It is VERY confusing out there - many watches are listed as diving watches and are not). Thank you again.



No problem. Glad I could help.

griz13


quality posts: 1 Private Messages griz13
elwappo99 wrote:I really like the look of this watch, but the general consensus is that it's not such great quality.

Anyone recommend some skeleton watches that look nice?



General consensus? No... these are nice watches. I agree that their msrp is ridiculous, but they are VERY nice watches - I have 4 of them, and I've been really impressed by the quality. I collect watches, and I have a lot - these are nice watches.
They are well worth the price.