shimey013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shimey013

Shame its in between pay.. Guess i will have to wait to see when these go back on sale or see who has them on sale after i get paid.. oh well.

My Cellar

W: 2 W.W: 5 S.W: 1

psi3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psi3000

I have a strong perscription that I can not get curved glasses for . its something like 4.5 for astigmatism. which, or would any, of these glasses be ones to stay away from if i were to get the RX version later with them in my case?

neverpleyed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neverpleyed

This is a question for vanuary. I've tried these once before and two things drove me nuts. The nose pieces(which that was my own dumb fault for not getting them properly adjusted) but the other i think was the slight magnification. I felt my eyes freaking out when i looked away from the screen for a second. Is it possible to buy frames now and have a regular lens with the tint/technology on it without the slight magnification? Maybe i just have fussy eyes and nose bridge :/ A full bridge instead of nose pads would be kinda cool in future models too Thanks for the help.

Fenix6372

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fenix6372

So, anyone who has used these, I need a recommendation! I want headphone compatible frames that won't hurt my ears or head after being compressed against the side of my head for long gaming durations, but I also want the largest field of view covered by the glasses. I'm going between the "Bit Surfer", the "MLG Adv", and the "MW3" ones. Any suggestions?

neverpleyed

Fenix6372 wrote:So, anyone who has used these, I need a recommendation! I want headphone compatible frames that won't hurt my ears or head after being compressed against the side of my head for long gaming durations, but I also want the largest field of view covered by the glasses. I'm going between the "Bit Surfer", the "MLG Adv", and the "MW3" ones. Any suggestions?

I think the Bit Surfer is sold out but honestly from checking them out, i think the MW3 and MLG Legend looks to have the best coverage. I've tried the MW3 ones on once and they are heavier frame and fit nice but I'm not sure I'd want to wear headphones with them since they aren't flat near the ears. The ones i had before were closer to the frame of the MLG Legend frame and worked pretty well with my headset. (see above for my QQ lol) Hope this helps out.

Fenix6372

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fenix6372
neverpleyed wrote:I think the Bit Surfer is sold out but honestly from checking them out, i think the MW3 and MLG Legend looks to have the best coverage. I've tried the MW3 ones on once and they are heavier frame and fit nice but I'm not sure I'd want to wear headphones with them since they aren't flat near the ears. The ones i had before were closer to the frame of the MLG Legend frame and worked pretty well with my headset. (see above for my QQ lol) Hope this helps out.

Well dang! They sold out while I was typing this up. Oh well. I think I'll probably go with the MLG ones, they specifically were designed to work with headphones so I have less worry about using them. Thanks for the input!

neverpleyed

Fenix6372 wrote:Well dang! They sold out while I was typing this up. Oh well. I think I'll probably go with the MLG ones, they specifically were designed to work with headphones so I have less worry about using them. Thanks for the input!

No problem! I actually went ahead an picked those up as well since they are literally half the price i tried my first pair at and this time I'll get them adjusted lol

thejapsican

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejapsican

Do the crystalline lenses block UV as well? or only the amber ones? The crystalline ones are not available on woot, but would love them for photo editing!

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo
fpc1107 wrote:as a question for vanuary. i see that there is a sale. and i am one of those people who needs prescription glasses. is there a way to get this deal on woot, but get prescription ones? or is this for just the regular gunnars?

I admit, I just went to my optometrist & got contacts instead. There is a way to get rx Gunnars, but seeing as how your prescription changes a little every year, I figgered it'd be easier to get contacts then go back & forth with the manufacturer each time.

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

I bought the Stylus pair last time Woot had them, and I don't regret it at all! I did a lot of research before laying out the dough, and several independent tech bloggers confirmed that they work. (Just do a google search for Gunnar reviews and you'll see.) TBH, with the lack of a frame, they do feel a little bit flimsy around the nosepiece and arms, so I'm just a little bit extra careful with using them. Don't toss 'em around on your desk, don't leave 'em on and then pull a tshirt over your head... Be careful. But yeah: TOTALLY worth it. It's been about a month, and I love 'em.

kortsmit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kortsmit

I bought these the last go around and wear them every day, all day at work. Will not be going back to working without them. No more light-based headaches and significantly less strain.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
WaitDoWhatNow wrote:I have a question for the rep please. Can you use any cleaning solution for these or do you need special solution? Thank you for your time.

Hi WaitDoWhatNow. You can use any optical cleaning solution. So if you have an existing lens cleaner that should be suitable. Mild hand soap and cold water is a good substitute if you don't want to purchase an optical cleaning solution. I would just stay away from any cleaning products that have alcohol or ammonia since it will damage the hard coatings and eventually destroy your GUNNARS.

ramkum

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ramkum
curtrivadeneira wrote:Do these affect the actual colors you see? Does it give the screen a yellow tint?

A slight yellow tint, yes. This reduces the amount of blue light entering your eyes. Exposure to blue light from unnatural sources can lead to disruption of sleep cycles, apart from eye fatigue and strain. Even if you don't get these glasses, you should definitely get a free application called f.lux, which automatically reduces the blue light from your monitor at dusk.

For most tasks, except if you're doing image editing, the tint is pleasant and you get used to it fairly quickly.

tankgirlwa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tankgirlwa

EEP! I've been waiting for these! Slacked on checking Woot today and didn't get the color I wanted, but if I like them as much as I think I will, Ill get another set next round.

In for 1! Yessssssss!

vanuary

curtrivadeneira wrote:Do these affect the actual colors you see? Does it give the screen a yellow tint?

Hi curtrivadeneira. Unfortunately, they do. The amber tint will dissipate after a while as your eyes get accustomed to it. Everyday work at the computer will be fine. However if you are doing work that requires true color 100% of the time, then you might want to check out our Crystalline line designed especially for this: http://www.gunnars.com/shop/Crystalline-Computer-Lens-Option/.

vanuary

I'm the manufacturer rep. Does anybody else have any questions?

jefferyc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jefferyc

Bought a pair of MLG's. Also noticed these are advertised for 79.99 on Gunnars.com and not the retail price of 99.99 that woot claims. Either way, I'm happy paying 35.99 over 79.99.

-Chris

cappo

quality posts: 31 Private Messages cappo

What do the crystaline ones do if they're not tinted?

I am confused.

cappo

You know... I have a keyboard that lights up blue and it usually messed with my eyes. I'm eager to see what's going to happen with these glasses. Will I see it at all? lol

vanuary

neverpleyed wrote:This is a question for vanuary. I've tried these once before and two things drove me nuts. The nose pieces(which that was my own dumb fault for not getting them properly adjusted) but the other i think was the slight magnification. I felt my eyes freaking out when i looked away from the screen for a second. Is it possible to buy frames now and have a regular lens with the tint/technology on it without the slight magnification? Maybe i just have fussy eyes and nose bridge :/ A full bridge instead of nose pads would be kinda cool in future models too Thanks for the help.

Hi neverpleyed. All of our over the counter eye wear has that slight magnification. It's a part of our technology and we've found that it compliments the work most people do at the computer. What I suggest for people whose eyes don't adjust immediately to the magnification is to break them in like a new pair of shoes. Your eyes may be a little more sensitive so start by wearing them for 30 minutes and taking 2-5 minute breaks. Then increase your wear time to an hour with the same 2-5 minute breaks. Gradually increase the time that you wear your GUNNARS and take breaks as you feel you need them. This usually helps the eyes adjust and before long you should be able to go a whole day.

vanuary

thejapsican wrote:Do the crystalline lenses block UV as well? or only the amber ones? The crystalline ones are not available on woot, but would love them for photo editing!

Hi thejapsican. Yes, the crystalline tint blocks all UVA and UVB.

vanuary

frankgrasinski wrote:I would like to know the answer to this as well, I have a big melon and need wide frames. I'd love to be able to pick up a pair or 2 of these for work.

Hi frankgrasinski. The widest frame available on this WOOT sale is the Call of Duty MW3 style.

cappo

There go the Jems.

Truly outrageous.

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire set was gone by the end of the day.

vanuary

johnkubik wrote:I ordered a pair of Gunnars a few months back, it is a different style than any of these frames, and the lenses developed very small chips in them. I am not sure from what -- they stay at my desk and I do not take them anywhere, and put them in the microfiber sheath when not using them. The chips look like the small indentations you get on your windshield in your car. I really liked them, but now they are unwearable due to the chips in them.

P.S. are there way to order replacement lenses so I can start wearing them again?

Hi johnkubik. I'm sorry, that's not an option we have available yet.

vanuary

psi3000 wrote:I have a strong perscription that I can not get curved glasses for . its something like 4.5 for astigmatism. which, or would any, of these glasses be ones to stay away from if i were to get the RX version later with them in my case?

Hi psi3000. I'm so sorry I didn't get to your question sooner! By now, all of the styles that I would suggest you purchase have sold out.

But just for future reference, these are the GUNNAR frame styles that can handle up to a total power of -6.00D: Anime, Emissary, Groove, Jem, Phenom, Vinyl, Wing, Wi-Five.
These frames can handle up to a +5.00D: Anime, Emissary, and Phenom.
If you have additional questions or want to know exactly what frames can support your prescription, email us at rx@gunnars.com.

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123

I find it commendable that they realized their spelling error and have removed "optiks" from their name and website.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
vanuary wrote:Hi zanfar, I'm the manufacturer rep. You are correct! There is a slight magnification in all of our over the counter eye wear, +0.2 diopter.

What solutions does Gunnar offer for those of us plagued with myopia? I'd rather not have to lean directly in front of my screen to be able to see what I'm doing beyond indiscernible blurs.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

trevornt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trevornt

Huh. I bought these yesterday morning but they never shipped...and Woot is usually so good about the shipping...

Anyway, I too have been waiting a while for these to come back . First time I saw them here they were all sold out. Second time I got placed in line because they sold out just before I bought them...and then didn't get them. This time I managed to see them the morning they came back on sale.

I'm really looking forward to getting them, because I'm a computer engineering and science major, help desk worker, and video gamer, and between all three I get headaches galore, presumably because my eyes are under so much strain from looking at different computer screens all day long.

vanuary

PapaMidnight wrote:What solutions does Gunnar offer for those of us plagued with myopia? I'd rather not have to lean directly in front of my screen to be able to see what I'm doing beyond indiscernible blurs.

Hi PapaMidnight. I answered variations of this question in some of the earlier posts.
Check out:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=67#post5151743
and
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=67#post5151749

But just to reiterate, GUNNAR has an Rx program for people who already wear glasses or need to wear glasses. We partnered with Carl Zeiss Vision to make this possible. You can visit a GUNNAR authorized prescription provider or get them processed directly with us through our website. For more information on the Rx program, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/rx. If you have additional Rx questions, feel free to send them to rx@gunnars.com.

fuzzbox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fuzzbox

Awww. Just too late. I've been looking for a good price on these since my last pair were stolen from my desk at work. I guess I'll just have to keep checking daily till these are restocked :-(

croettger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages croettger

I almost grabed a pair with the headphone friendly frames and then I remembered the person who needs/wants them. Hasn't even given the computer glasses I created at Googles4u a try. I am sure these are much nice but the cheap one were to measure if he would actually remember to take them out and put them on. So far epic fail. If that ever changes I will definately be hunting for a headphone friendly set.

alexanderluthor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alexanderluthor

I bought the Modern Warfare pair and the nose grip fell off day one. and the arms were bent leaving it cockeyed on my head. I don't think they are cheap but maybe i got a return or not put together well refurbish.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
vanuary wrote:Hi PapaMidnight. I answered variations of this question in some of the earlier posts.
Check out:
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=67#post5151743
and
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5151212&pageindex=1&replycount=67#post5151749

But just to reiterate, GUNNAR has an Rx program for people who already wear glasses or need to wear glasses. We partnered with Carl Zeiss Vision to make this possible. You can visit a GUNNAR authorized prescription provider or get them processed directly with us through our website. For more information on the Rx program, please visit http://www.gunnars.com/rx. If you have additional Rx questions, feel free to send them to rx@gunnars.com.

I apologize. I missed your prior post regarding that entirely. Thank you for being helpful and providing this information despite being asked three times.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

stantonl33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stantonl33
psi3000 wrote:I have a strong perscription that I can not get curved glasses for . its something like 4.5 for astigmatism. which, or would any, of these glasses be ones to stay away from if i were to get the RX version later with them in my case?

I would also like to know this.

EDIT: I just saw there was a reply. What prescription strength can the stylus frame handle being it is the only one left other than the MW3 frame?

sdownin

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sdownin

Stunningly fast shipping from the Woot folks!

I live in Georgia. Yesterday I ordered a pair of the JEMs. Today, the USPS mail carrier shows up with a small brown box from Woot containing my new Gunnars. How it made it from Texas to Georgia without using overnight delivery I'll never know.

I think Woot just read my mind and shipped them out a day or two before I even ordered them.

MSBailey85

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MSBailey85

I also spend all day at the computer, and had been having some real eye strain issues. I bought them as an experiment, and I sure am glad I did. The pair that I ended up with were clearly just for the lenses, as the frames are pretty crappy, but (at least for me) I wouldn't dare wear them out in public, so they live in my office all the time and don't get any abuse.

In summary, they're ugly, the frames are crap, and I couldn't live without them. 100% buy.

masamunesslave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages masamunesslave

Allow me to be the first to ask about shipping delays; I can understand an extra day to process a one day order request, but its the end of day 2, and the woot page still shows no tracking info, but somehow still says I should be getting them today. What's going on there?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

masamunesslave wrote:Allow me to be the first to ask about shipping delays; I can understand an extra day to process a one day order request, but its the end of day 2, and the woot page still shows no tracking info, but somehow still says I should be getting them today. What's going on there?

hmmm. i could only speculate, and usually my theories are wrong.*

instead, probably better to email service@woot.com for a more accurate answer.

*because i invariably blame everything on magnets.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

christiahna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christiahna
masamunesslave wrote:Allow me to be the first to ask about shipping delays; I can understand an extra day to process a one day order request, but its the end of day 2, and the woot page still shows no tracking info, but somehow still says I should be getting them today. What's going on there?

came here for the same reason. any word out there on what's the hold up?

diabeticon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diabeticon

Thought I'd investigate on the pair I'd be likely to get that is left at this time, the Stylus, and found dimensions for them (the rest are on their page as well).
Look too thin for my wide head, unfortunately. Maybe I'll spring for something wider next time around.

... Bibo ergo sum.