masamunesslave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages masamunesslave
christiahna wrote:came here for the same reason. any word out there on what's the hold up?

No real details on why they didn't ship out yet, but service@woot.com did reply saying they didn't ship out on the timeline expected. I would suggest emailing them too, with the order number, just so they can take proper action on your order too.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
masamunesslave wrote:No real details on why they didn't ship out yet, but service@woot.com did reply saying they didn't ship out on the timeline expected. I would suggest emailing them too, with the order number, just so they can take proper action on your order too.

This is a fine suggestion in which I can add no more to.

I'm just hanging out, really.

flintdragon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flintdragon

Vanuary, there are only two styles left, MW3 and Stylus. I know that prescription lenses can be obtained for them but I noticed that different styles have different prescription maximums. Some only go to -4.0. I have a -4.5 in one eye. Will either of these support that prescription? I couldn't find this info on your website.

Thanks!

sirlantzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirlantzz

Very disappointed in the Tortise RAY versions. I'm a guy and these things are WAY too small for my Big brain head! If I were a 10-13 yr old kid, yea, but come on! The arms are too short also. They barely make it to my ears and the spot where the arms sit, is a headache zone from even short term wearing. Makes me scared to buy another pair for fear they're not even adult size, and most of us buying them are adults, I would think. Not sure if it's just the ones on here, the ones in the store are Adult size. Just my 2 cents.

I can't get a true feel of the glasses due to the tightness of them causing a headache. Bending or stretching them doesn't work to well due to their excellent construction. Guess I'll have to wear them 10-15 minutes a day to wear them in and say to myself "I'm not 10 yrs old, I'm not 10 yrs old!"

3/5 rating.

socks.mark

quality posts: 5 Private Messages socks.mark
masamunesslave wrote:No real details on why they didn't ship out yet, but service@woot.com did reply saying they didn't ship out on the timeline expected. I would suggest emailing them too, with the order number, just so they can take proper action on your order too.

I also seem to have been hit by the woot monkey strike. Two day shipping didn't help

jtaclas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtaclas
jacobrd wrote:I purchased the JEM gunnar set a couple months ago here on woot.

I work in front of computer screens 10 hrs a day and I have to say I have considerably less eye strain after wearing these... the only thing is it takes some getting used to the yellow push in color these have. They block out a large amount of the blue spectrum (pretty much all of it) at least with this set.

The color compromise is worth it for me... I'm liking my set so far. Hope this helps

The two things about the jem I have had more trouble getting used to were the feeling that I was wearing knives on my ears, and the fact that I couldn't stop smudging the lenses at first. I attribute both of those to the fact that I don't wear glasses normally, and the fact that the arms are made of knives.

*That being said, I continue to wear them. If they were to break, I might try a different model, but I wanted something that doesn't call too much attention.

arestice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arestice

I don't wear glasses, hoping the 140mm MW3 ones will fit ok on my big head.

stantonl33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stantonl33
flintdragon wrote:Vanuary, there are only two styles left, MW3 and Stylus. I know that prescription lenses can be obtained for them but I noticed that different styles have different prescription maximums. Some only go to -4.0. I have a -4.5 in one eye. Will either of these support that prescription? I couldn't find this info on your website.

Thanks!

I emailed rx@gunnar.com this same question and it's been 2 days and no response. I also private messaged vanuary and no response....What gives?

muttly2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muttly2001

Just got my GEMs today. They are unfortunately a bit small and look silly on my big noggin. Wish there was I place in could try on all the frames and find my perfect fit

christiahna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christiahna
muttly2001 wrote:Just got my GEMs today. They are unfortunately a bit small and look silly on my big noggin. Wish there was I place in could try on all the frames and find my perfect fit

Wait... you actually got your order from this deal? Still waiting on one-day shipping from Tuesday, and haven't heard from serice@ since Thursday.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
stantonl33 wrote:I would also like to know this.

EDIT: I just saw there was a reply. What prescription strength can the stylus frame handle being it is the only one left other than the MW3 frame?

Hi stantonl33. The Stylus can handle a total prescription between +4.00 D to -4.00 D.

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
flintdragon wrote:Vanuary, there are only two styles left, MW3 and Stylus. I know that prescription lenses can be obtained for them but I noticed that different styles have different prescription maximums. Some only go to -4.0. I have a -4.5 in one eye. Will either of these support that prescription? I couldn't find this info on your website.

Thanks!

Hi flintdragon. The Stylus can handle a total prescription between +4.00 D to -4.00 D. The Call of Duty MW3 style can handle a total prescription between +4.00 D to -6.00 D. So the Call of Duty MW3 style would be an option for you.

muttly2001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muttly2001
christiahna wrote:Wait... you actually got your order from this deal? Still waiting on one-day shipping from Tuesday, and haven't heard from serice@ since Thursday.

Yeah....purchased on Tuesday...got them Friday. Paid $3 extra for 2-day shipping. I also live like 5 miles from Woot! Headquarters....wish i could just go there and pick up my orders :-)

grimskull89

quality posts: 11 Private Messages grimskull89

Mine seem to have "teleported" from Woot to Chino, CA.

Most likely I'll be getting them tomorrow, but I paid for regular shipping, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Still, for the longest time, I didn't think they were ever gonna ship! hah

ninjaaron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ninjaaron

I got mine (from this sale), and have been using them, and they do what they say. It's great. My eyes feel better.

souljerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages souljerr

Just received mine in the mail and the nose guard is missing. I'll email you.

vanuary wrote:Hi omegr8mick, I'm the manufacturer rep. I'm sorry to hear that your GUNNARS fell apart. We can get them replaced for you! Please email me directly at van@gunnars.com to find out how.

dthreee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dthreee
vanuary wrote:Hi neverpleyed. All of our over the counter eye wear has that slight magnification. It's a part of our technology and we've found that it compliments the work most people do at the computer. What I suggest for people whose eyes don't adjust immediately to the magnification is to break them in like a new pair of shoes. Your eyes may be a little more sensitive so start by wearing them for 30 minutes and taking 2-5 minute breaks. Then increase your wear time to an hour with the same 2-5 minute breaks. Gradually increase the time that you wear your GUNNARS and take breaks as you feel you need them. This usually helps the eyes adjust and before long you should be able to go a whole day.

Well I got mine today and I can wear them for about 5 minutes before my eyes start complaining and it takes another 5 minutes for them to get back to normal. I'm nearsighted from 20 yrs of computer use and I don't wear my regular glasses at my desk. As soon as I put them on, the screen gets slightly blurry unless I lean in to about 16" from where I usually work, 20-24". I can't help but think I would be really messing up my eyes I if continue to wear these. It really feels like they fatigue my eyes way faster than computer use without.

arestice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arestice
dthreee wrote:Well I got mine today and I can wear them for about 5 minutes before my eyes start complaining and it takes another 5 minutes for them to get back to normal. I'm nearsighted from 20 yrs of computer use and I don't wear my regular glasses at my desk. As soon as I put them on, the screen gets slightly blurry unless I lean in to about 16" from where I usually work, 20-24". I can't help but think I would be really messing up my eyes I if continue to wear these. It really feels like they fatigue my eyes way faster than computer use without.

I have 20/10 vision, just got mine today and the magnification makes me a little queasy. For me I think I just need to get used to it, like games with crazy head bob.

grimskull89

quality posts: 11 Private Messages grimskull89

Woo! got mine today, have been wearing them for about 2 hours now.

I can see the yellow tint everyone spoke of, only really noticeable while looking at something with a white background.

There is a slight magnification, doesn't bother me** the slightest but is noticeable.

Will report back when they are on sale again and I've spent sometime using them.

** As a note real quick, I do have 20/20 vision.

lydnbru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lydnbru

Also got mine in the mail today and I was really excited to give them a try.
First, I will gladly say the lenses are great. Yes there is a slight yellow tint, but you really do get used to it quickly.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with sirlantzz and say I am Hugely disappointed in the size of these (MLG Adv). The width isn't much of an issue on these frames, but the curve of the arms is so strong that they're pretty much child sized! I wear them and the arms bow out past my ears and don't even rest on the top corner of my ear where any normal pair of glasses would land.

Vanuary, any love for people with heads bigger than those of 10-year-olds? I really want to like these MLG Adv glasses, but they're nigh unwearable! If there's an official way to be able to straighten out the arms that alone would be enough to fix the problem.
If there's no fix or help, I'm going from super excited for my first pair of Gunnars (finally!) to two thumbs down...and I'd much rather be happy to use the product!

socks.mark

quality posts: 5 Private Messages socks.mark

Overall, I do like these after 3 days of use.
1. I'd rather there was a little less tint, but it's not a deal-breaker. Doesn't bug me much except when looking at something white or slightly blue. It DOES seem to increase contrast, which is really awesome.
2. They definitely keep my eyes from drying out (I always have a fan blowing), which is the reason I got them. They also seem to reduce strain a bit.
3. The magnification is definitely a positive.
4. These things are dorky; my girlfriend says they make me look like a nerdy transvestite. I'm still only wearing them at home until I decide they're definitely useful enough to bring to work. If I do bring them to work, I will have quite a bit of ridicule to deal with. (I sit in front of a computer 10 hours a day, so a little bit can go a long way). I bought the Jems.

penjo0in

quality posts: 2 Private Messages penjo0in

I just got mine today, overall they are of a disappointing build quality. For a set of eye-wear expected to retail at around $100 these are a huge disappointment. As a thirty dollar pair of eye savers they are a slight disappointment. The glasses were crooked, the nose grips were so close together they would barely fit a child, the construction is flimsy and the lenses are cheap feeling plastic.

If they do their job I'll still feel like I paid ten dollars too much.

darajapa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darajapa

Just got the JEM today and very disappointed. I bought COD MW3 to be used at home and JEM at work. The COD MW3 are very good, but the JEM are crooked. The right lens is higher than the left side. When wearing them, the right side of the bridge will be 10 degree higher than the left side. This is not because of the nose pads and it is noticeable without any measurement. It doesn't look cool wearing crooked glasses with yellow lenses at work.

melegaunt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melegaunt

I recently bought a pair of these. In fact they ran out of the MW3 version and upgraded me for free to a more expensive pair (thanks WOOT!) at no cost.

There are a few things I want to add in my own opinion.

1. The yellow tint, you get used to. Some people it takes a day, some a week. I personally took about 2-3 days to fully adjust. The first day your eyes may even hurt a bit (like if you had crossed them) but it fades quickly.

2. It does as suggested, text is easier to read. I first thought it would be a con and was unsure but I thought why not. I now not only used them while Gaming, but also on the computer and even in class at my college. It makes almost all text clearer. Even text that other people were having trouble reading on the chalkboard in class, I could read with ease.

3. They do help prevent headaches from too much time in front of a screen. I have noticed about a 50% decrease in migraines, drowsiness, and fatigue from using them. Note i didnt have alot to begin with, but I have noticed much less now.

4. The frames (at least on the ones I have) are fragile, so every day all day use is probably out of the question. My frames are plastic in fact. It does come with a white bag for them that doubles as a lens cloth.

All in all I love the purchase and when I see another deal on them, I will probably pick up another. Maybe get the Neptune's next time as they look awesome.

Thanks for the great deal woot!

Phillystyle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Phillystyle

For what it's worth, this New York Times guy thinks these GUNNAR people have good writers & their CAPS LOCK must be stuck ON but it sounds like the benefits of the glasses are marginal.

Yes, the blog post is from some time ago but there are also some good reader comments too.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/high-performance-eyewear-guess-again/

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

Phillystyle wrote:For what it's worth, this New York Times guy thinks these GUNNAR people have good writers & their CAPS LOCK must be stuck ON but it sounds like the benefits of the glasses are marginal.

Yes, the blog post is from some time ago but there are also some good reader comments too.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/high-performance-eyewear-guess-again/

DO YOU QUESTION CAPS LOCK??

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

imbzppl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imbzppl

I got mines and when opened the packaging the box for the glasses were already open and the glasses were dirty. The rubber coating on the plastic parts were scratched up and yellow with sweat or dirt. I am thinking these were the floor models for people to try on or something. My first order from woot and it was not a very good impression. The condition it was supposed to be in was new but mines definitely were not new.

KBug1307

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KBug1307

Question/clarification-

I realize that the +0.2 diopters was specifically designed for those with 20/20 vision. I however, have 20/15 vision. I spend anywhere from 8-14+ hours on a computer for work on any given day. I just received my glasses today and my eyes, feel "uncomfortable" they don't exactly hurt. Is that because of my vision being 20/15 vs. 20/20 or is it just an acclamation process?