WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Rejoice, TV snobs! MTV's new remake of the uproariously vulgar British teen sitcom The Inbetweeners (reviewed on this very blog) gives you a new opportunity to sneer "the original British version was better." Here are shots from eight British shows in that grand tradition. Can you name them, and/or the American series they spawned (inferior or otherwise)?

Answers are here. Please post your guesses, speculations, or arguments below! But know this: the Trivial Eye is presented for public amusement and no prizes are offered other than that familiar feeling of aggravation that so much of your mind is occupied by useless trivia.

Question: who wants more Trivial Eye? Answer: you. Duh.

Dissonance


quality posts: 12 Private Messages Dissonance

1. Life on Mars

7. Being Human

5 looks like it should be Three's Company, but I have no idea what it is.

groovis


quality posts: 0 Private Messages groovis

Clicked the answers, never knew about #2, but they both at least stand on their own.

Maybe it was left out since the remake was a mini-series, but The Prisoner is a good fit for this also.

CatCK


quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
Dissonance wrote:... 5 looks like it should be Three's Company, but I have no idea what it is.



#5: Three's Company was based on a British sitcom called Man About the House. Could be that.

CatCK


quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

#3 Looks like it could be "The Office", with the US version having the same name.

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151

Not only did I not know most of the British ones, I didn't know (or wouldn't recognize) most of the American ones either.

5 and 7 I recognized, 2, 5, 7, and 8 I would recognize the American version.

And that's it.

NDCrouch


quality posts: 0 Private Messages NDCrouch

2 Steptoe & Son
3 The Office/ The Office
5 Man About the House/Threes Company
8 Till Death Us Do Part/All in the Family

mossygreen


quality posts: 69 Private Messages mossygreen

I agree with everyone about 1, 2, 3 &5, don't know 6-8.

Before I check the answers, #4 must be a British version of "Too Close for Comfort." Or that short-lived Bob Newhart sitcom. But probably "Too Close for Comfort," because of the puppet and the mug, as difficult as it is to conceive of that show without Jim J. Bullock.

mossygreen


quality posts: 69 Private Messages mossygreen

Hey, I was right! Also: does anybody want to talk about how horrible the US Life on Mars was? I love telling people about that finale because it was literally one of the worst things I've ever seen, so cosmically bad that I have sort of grown to love it in retrospect. People are never that impressed because they saw neither it or the wonderful UK version. But it's horrible enough that they're still a little impressed.

jcunniff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcunniff

And they missed _Coupling_, which had such a bad American version that there were some episodes which weren't even broadcast. It was a cleverly-written series, definitely worth watching if you like British comedies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_(U.S._TV_series)

Jason Toon


quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
mossygreen wrote:Hey, I was right! Also: does anybody want to talk about how horrible the US Life on Mars was? I love telling people about that finale because it was literally one of the worst things I've ever seen, so cosmically bad that I have sort of grown to love it in retrospect. People are never that impressed because they saw neither it or the wonderful UK version. But it's horrible enough that they're still a little impressed.



You deserve a medal and/or a straitjacket for sticking it out to the finale. I bailed twenty minutes into the first episode.

caprafan


quality posts: 2 Private Messages caprafan
jcunniff wrote:And they missed _Coupling_, which had such a bad American version that there were some episodes which weren't even broadcast. It was a cleverly-written series, definitely worth watching if you like British comedies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_(U.S._TV_series)



For Whovians/Sherlock fans, it's worth noting that the UK original was created and written by Steven Moffat. The whole series is available on Netflix.

plaster


quality posts: 7 Private Messages plaster

I only knew #3 as being the Office. The rest were lost on me.