tbw98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tbw98

I have the 42 LED from LG - and this looks like the same model. I hope that the 'refurbishing' that they did was to fix the issue with the screen going out. My brother and I both got the same TV for Christmas last year from Best Buy and within 45 days of turning it on the first time, the screen would not come on at all. I had to call LG to do a warranty repair since I was out of the Best Buy return window. The repairman had to replace the entire motherboard on the TV (apparently some chip on it had a habit of going out - when he called to see what was wrong and I told him the model number, he immediately knew the TV wouldn't come on).

billchase2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billchase2
GreatestOne wrote:Same TV in Walmart NEW a couple of weeks ago for same price, cmon Woot u really slipping.

But then we'd have to shop at Walmart.

thepauliwog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thepauliwog

In past LG woots, there has been some discussion about the "TruMotion 120hz" not actually being 120hz refresh rate, but rather 60hz with frame interpolation. Does anyone know if that is the case with this TV?

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
ahrjones wrote:I don't know where you can get a brand new, brand name, LED, 1080p, 120 Hz, 42" TV with warranty for $400.

Here is everything except the brand name and only 60 Hz.

And for less money, better warranty and brand new.

link

guenchy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guenchy
escalante wrote:Here is everything except the brand name and only 60 Hz.

link

Hmm interesting.
What is the big difference in Hertz for gaming or watching sports?

jhrdy724

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhrdy724

If you own this tv and arent carrying a good warranty on it, you will be shopping for a new tv soon. The main board goes out frequently on this model as stated earlier in this thread. I too can attest to this, luckily it was still under warranty.

ackermas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ackermas
guenchy wrote:Hmm interesting.
What is the big difference in Hertz for gaming or watching sports?

Hertz plays a big role in picture quality especially in sports. Most sports have fast motion and the higher the refresh rate the smoother and less blurred the motion will be. Also, the bigger the TV the higher refresh rate in hertz it will require. I have heard that for 37" - 46" you need at least 120Hz. For bigger TV's 240Hz would be preferable.

RetiredGuru

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RetiredGuru
escalante wrote:Here is everything except the brand name and only 60 Hz.

link

Your link says:
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 50,000:1
Refresh rate: 60Hz
Plus this is not a reliable "brand name", LG is!

r0ssta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages r0ssta
rexmaximvs wrote:So evidently my previous comment was removed:

The 4400 models were a disaster for LG. Amazon, after hundreds of on-line complaints, finally pulled them last winter. My guess is that these "refurbished" sets are the thousands that were returned for repair.

Frankly, I would stay away from refurbished televisions. I purchased a LG47-6700, 3D/HD for just a few hundred more from Amazon. Spend a little more and include a SquareTrade extended warranty for some peace of mind.

Just curious, but do you have a source? I'm seriously thinking about buying this TV, but your comment scares me.

jarsh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jarsh

The way I see it is that:
1) This TV has already had the repair done to it.(ie it is "refurbished") Most of the ones repaired under warranty were fine after they got the fix(ie, that wonky main board replaced)
2) If it still has a bad main board they usually go out pretty quickly and it can be repaired under the 90 day woot warranty.

Going to roll the dice.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
r0ssta wrote:Just curious, but do you have a source? I'm seriously thinking about buying this TV, but your comment scares me.

This!

Statements with links to back them up are much better than statements without links to back them up.

I'm just hanging out, really.

donthaveone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donthaveone
seanmcneal1 wrote:Your's is LCD, this TV is LED, big difference

A so-called "LED TV" IS an LCD TV. I wish people would quit calling them LED TVs. There is no such thing (unless you refer to the jumbrotron at a sports venue).

These are LCD TVs with LED BACKILIGHTING. They should, at best be called "LED Back-lit TVs". An older TV called just "LCD" is probably CCF (fluorescent) backlit.

LEDs use less power than CCF, and allow for a thinner TV.

The bigger difference you will find is between full-backlit LED and edge-backlit LED. The really good TVs that are full-backlit can compensate for LCDs inherent contrast problems by individually controlling the intensity of the backlit areas.

Most so-called "LED TVs" are edge-backlit which allows for a much thinner TV (under an inch).

I am not promoting one thing over another, I am just saying that calling these things "LED TV" is incorrect, and the statement above that there is a "big difference" between LCD and LED is just plain wrong. The picture you see in a LED TV is created using LCDs. It is just illuminated by LEDs (vs possibly CCF, but not likely anymore).

bigdtfc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdtfc
xarous wrote:I just ordered LG 42LK450 from Amazon for about 370. How does this model stack up versus the other?

well that is only 60hz, and its an lcd. this is an led tv with twice the refresh rate

sunnyg2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sunnyg2002

When I worked at Fry's, these were the talk of the town when they first went up for sale because of the low. That was until they all came back within a couple months after power failures, though.

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish
r0ssta wrote:Just curious, but do you have a source? I'm seriously thinking about buying this TV, but your comment scares me.

I bought the LG 42LV4400 from Amazon in the middle of that chaos as a "Used" model for $399. Everyone was freaking out at the time because of the failing board or power supply. I've had my TV for 9 months now and it's performed just fine, no issues at all. I don't doubt that others did have this issue, but I think mine might have been returned by somebody and refurbished. However, when it arrived it was in the original packaging and looked brand spanking new.

I like the TV a lot, and this is a decent deal.

yukatanjack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yukatanjack

I was about to pull the trigger, until I saw this review of the 47" version:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/LG-47LV4400-LED-LCD-HDTV-Review.htm

Scary. If anyone can refute, please do.

mcsteez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcsteez

I count 3 HDMI ports in the pictures

chudson195

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chudson195

Not familiar with True Motion brand, but Wal Mart is currently selling a Vizio 37" refurb for $299.00. Just sayin'

onefastwienerdog

quality posts: 6 Private Messages onefastwienerdog

LG= Lotsa Garbage!

Random crap #1 11-28-09-Nice
Random crap #2 08-20-10-Sucked

nmanx62

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nmanx62
mcsteez wrote:I count 3 HDMI ports in the pictures

And you really should read the Specs to see that "Rear Input/Output" lists two and "Side Inputs" lists the other, as stated in a prior post(s)

mcsteez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mcsteez
nmanx62 wrote:And you really should read the Specs to see that "Rear Input/Output" lists two and "Side Inputs" lists the other, as stated in a prior post(s)

Fair enough, though the side has 2, and the rear has 1.

romeoskitten

quality posts: 0 Private Messages romeoskitten

Does the true motion mean it has the "Soap Opera" show effect? Or does it come from the refresh rate? Thanks!

blinkyfish

quality posts: 4 Private Messages blinkyfish
susie-s wrote:Deciding that our next TV has got to have Wi-Fi... sorry Woot.

You're much better off buying a TV without Wifi and buying an AppleTV box or a Roku. They're going to have a lot more frequent updates and a whole lot more content than your tv.

jarsh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jarsh
romeoskitten wrote:Does the true motion mean it has the "Soap Opera" show effect? Or does it come from the refresh rate? Thanks!

In short, yes. Trumotion adds black frames to try to reduce blur. You can turn it off. Refresh rate just determines how many frames are added.

ushindi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ushindi
ahrjones wrote:I don't know where you can get a brand new, brand name, LED, 1080p, 120 Hz, 42" TV with warranty for $400.

Two or three years ago I bought a brand-new 40" 1080p 120Hz Samsung for a discounted $820, and it was a great deal at the time (around $1000 most places).
Hard to believe how this stuff keeps dropping and dropping in price.
(The Samsung is still working fine or I'd certainly grab one of these here.)

zackman2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zackman2002
donthaveone wrote:A so-called "LED TV" IS an LCD TV. I wish people would quit calling them LED TVs. There is no such thing (unless you refer to the jumbrotron at a sports venue).

These are LCD TVs with LED BACKILIGHTING. They should, at best be called "LED Back-lit TVs". An older TV called just "LCD" is probably CCF (fluorescent) backlit.

LEDs use less power than CCF, and allow for a thinner TV.

The bigger difference you will find is between full-backlit LED and edge-backlit LED. The really good TVs that are full-backlit can compensate for LCDs inherent contrast problems by individually controlling the intensity of the backlit areas.

Most so-called "LED TVs" are edge-backlit which allows for a much thinner TV (under an inch).

I am not promoting one thing over another, I am just saying that calling these things "LED TV" is incorrect, and the statement above that there is a "big difference" between LCD and LED is just plain wrong. The picture you see in a LED TV is created using LCDs. It is just illuminated by LEDs (vs possibly CCF, but not likely anymore).

Thank you! This kind of ignorance annoys the crap out of me. When I try to talk to someone about deciding between a plasma or LCD, they immediately say, "Oh, I want an LED." And I say, "An LED flashlight? An LED backlit DLP (Samsung)? An LED from Radio Shack? What do you mean you want an LED?" Anyhow, thank you for speaking up.

a5meiser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages a5meiser

My 2 cents. I ordered the LG 42LV4400 42-Inch 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV from Amazon last year (black Friday for $499) and I have been very happy with it. I have not had any problems with it and it is still working to this day. The picture is very clear and the 3 hdmi inputs are all I need (cable, dvd, roku). I would definitely recommend this TV to anyone looking to buy.

tuckers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuckers

EL GHE FOURTYTEW ENCH TENEIGHTYPEE TRUEMOTION HUNDREDTWENTY HURTS LEAD AHJ DEY TE VE FORTYTEW EL FORTYFOAR HUNDRED SPETSNAZ

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

tuckers wrote:EL GHE FOURTYTEW ENCH TENEIGHTYPEE TRUEMOTION HUNDREDTWENTY HURTS LEAD AHJ DEY TE VE FORTYTEW EL FORTYFOAR HUNDRED SPETSNAZ

ERHMEGHERD SPERCIFERCASHERNS

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ahem. i'm really supposed to discourage that, btw.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

mikeandike93

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikeandike93

Has anyone seen the cover of Cnet?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57509549-10391733/three-tech-items-you-should-never-buy-refurbished/

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

PemberDucky wrote:ahem. i'm really supposed to discourage that, btw.

IHAF NONEIDEZ WHUTURSTIALKNS AAABOOOTS

toddmorrison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toddmorrison
mikeandike93 wrote:Has anyone seen the cover of Cnet?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33153_7-57509549-10391733/three-tech-items-you-should-never-buy-refurbished/

I will 100% agree with that article about not buying refurbished hard drives - DO NOT DO IT. I don't buy printers so I can't provide much feedback on that.

The writers reason for not buying a refurbished TV is based off of two purchases and his reasons are stupid. I'm okay with saving a couple hundred bucks for something "packaged by monkeys".

This TV gets horrible reviews and they are mostly all the same thing: the circuit board malfunctioning or something. From what I have read these things went bad relatively quickly and were fixed by a technician while under warranty. I'm sure a bunch were sent back and replaced with new ones.

I'm hoping most of these televisions are issue-fixed leftover inventory no one wanted to buy due to terrible reviews. Or they are gently used and fixed ones that will work perfect for many years of enjoyment.

I bought one and am 97% confident it is going to be AWESOME!

Don't talk about it, be about it.

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
donthaveone wrote:A so-called "LED TV" IS an LCD TV. I wish people would quit calling them LED TVs. There is no such thing (unless you refer to the jumbrotron at a sports venue).

Actually, Sony had (has?) an OLED TV...11"...$2500.

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

IF I were in the market for a TV, I would go to sellout.woot and spend the extra $30 to get the Vizio 47" from moofi. I worked at Radioshack for a year and a half and got nothing but good feedback about Vizio from customers and in my own experience. I would take something LG put out before something Samsung did any day but if your getting a better brand and 5 more inches and saving a lot of hassle farther down the line, the Vizio is a no brainer in my book.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
donthaveone wrote: An older TV called just "LCD" is probably CCF (fluorescent) backlit.

Great post. Just wanted to point out for anyone looking at this that the older style lamps are actually "CCFL".

Satrapess

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Satrapess
billchase2 wrote:But then we'd have to shop at Walmart.

And have a time machine.

vwoom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwoom
mikeandike93 wrote:Has anyone seen the cover of Cnet?

I'd presume the packaging simians weren't trained enough...

rickbaron

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rickbaron

OT question: When looking at stuff you bought is it possible to look/print more than 10 at a time?

megalomani

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megalomani
GreatestOne wrote:Same TV in Walmart NEW a couple of weeks ago for same price, cmon Woot u really slipping.

doubt it. it probably was a 60hz and didn't use led