WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Zmodo 4-Camera Surveillance System

Speed to First Woot:
3m 7.998s
First Sucker:
fmuscia
Last Wooter to Woot:
phaidinyak
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 20% of Woot.com Woots
Bottom 50% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 18% of Woot.com Woots
Top 15% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 25% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 18% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 20% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 63% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 91% bought 1
  • 7% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
2%
1%
0%
1%
1%
3%
8%
8%
6%
8%
6%
5%
5%
4%
6%
4%
4%
5%
4%
4%
5%
5%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootalyzer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Zmodo 4-Camera Surveillance System
$139.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

thetateman


quality posts: 8 Private Messages thetateman

Great item to protect the hordes of stuff you have already bought from woot.

thisandthis


quality posts: 5 Private Messages thisandthis

Remember, cameras don't stop crime from happening. They let you watch it at a full 704 x 480 resolution!

If smartpost was actually smart...

WootNDaddy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WootNDaddy

This looks like a good system!

ilikebike


quality posts: 2 Private Messages ilikebike
thisandthis wrote:Remember, cameras don't stop crime from happening. They let you watch it at a full 704 x 480 resolution!



Security cameras, especially home ones, should be installed so that they are visible. You want them to act as a deterrent first and evidence second.

blazesenpai


quality posts: 8 Private Messages blazesenpai
thisandthis wrote:Remember, cameras don't stop crime from happening. They let you watch it at a full 704 x 480 resolution!

Cameras make for a nice deterrent though, but nothing will really stop everyone, you always have those few that don't care what the punishment is and will go for it anyway.

If you think you can get away with 4 real cameras, you can pick up some fake lookalikes off Monoprice and stick them in visible-but-sensible places so any would-be thieves might get scared off; Read: Don't put one in a tree.

Matthewl0799


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Matthewl0799

I installed a security camera at my house a while back and have a half of a video of some crackhead stealing it.

omgiwin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages omgiwin

Once again this is from a crap company... woot moderators delelted my prior post so ill post it again.

check out the comparable model here, known as crap made by the same manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216-500GB-Internet-Accessible-4-Channel/dp/B005FM8UL4


[MOD: FYI: different model; different cameras.

Wholesaleforless


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Wholesaleforless

Why does woot offer surveillance systems so often?

sethhill2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sethhill2

I would hardly consider a CMOS camera and a CCD camera comparable. These are completely different image sensors which are the main differentiator in a security camera. These are far higher quality than the kit you noted. DVR would be similar in functionality, but the cameras are far from junk.

omgiwin wrote:Once again this is from a crap company... woot moderators delelted my prior post so ill post it again.

check out the comparable model here, known as crap made by the same manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216-500GB-Internet-Accessible-4-Channel/dp/B005FM8UL4


[MOD: FYI: different model; different cameras.



alphabasic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages alphabasic

I bought the Zmodo 8-Camera system a while back here. Same stuff with more inputs. Let me help:

Pros:
- The features go deep. Adjustable motion sensing, email alerts, good network customization.
- Works with software like iSpy if you want your family to roll their eyes as you test out a half assed face recognition plugin with it.
- Night vision is good, the IR beams spread out pretty well.
- I've had 3 of my cameras outdoors in Chicago (-20f winters/110f summers) for a year and they still work just fine.

Cons:
- Everything is backwards in the system menu and the documentation is horrible. You're going to have to take a Xanax and spend a day with this to get it doing what you want it to.
- Mouse is right handed with no way to change in options.
- You can't adjust system time/date or other settings while the unit is recording.
- The camera housing, screws, and plastic tightening knobs are the cheapest metal I've ever encountered. A couple screws snapped and the camera housing rusted in a few weeks.

Pro tips:
-Android users: IP Camera Viewer Pro is the best app for this.

-If you want to view it through a browser, you'll need to adjust some router settings and install an Active-X plugin for Chrome/Firefox/etc.

-Don't bother with dyndns if you can avoid it. Just open up your router and remember the IP.

briannanoob


quality posts: 7 Private Messages briannanoob
Matthewl0799 wrote:I installed a security camera at my house a while back and have a half of a video of some crackhead stealing it.



Even in an electrion year, that is sooo true!

americanknight


quality posts: 2 Private Messages americanknight

Does it come with program if I don't buy with hard drive?

Perhaps download the OS and program from Zmodo site?

I know it runs on Linux. I'm not too savvy with Linux. Only tried it a couple of times using Ubuntu and SUSE.

There were a few things I had trouble trying to wrap my head around like mounting programs and some other carp I can't recall at the moment

Lord, forgive me for what I am about to post.

eViLNeWBiE06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eViLNeWBiE06

How far away from the box can the cameras be (i.e. how long is the power/AV cable)?

suk62


quality posts: 4 Private Messages suk62
thisandthis wrote:Remember, cameras don't stop crime from happening. They let you watch it at a full 704 x 480 resolution!



Evidence purposes hence the available Hard Drive. Like if you have a limo lot and you want to pinpoint which drivers are damaging property or leaving trash around.
-Captain Obvious

spendtime


quality posts: 0 Private Messages spendtime

Can someone tell me what is the difference between this system and one http://www.zmododirect.com/4-channel-cctv-real-time-dvr-security-camera-system-no-hard-drive/ Other than the price and free shipping? The DVR specs looks the same and the cameras are same also.. Thanks!

gilfilent


quality posts: 7 Private Messages gilfilent

Do I just get a regular SATA hard drive for this or is it a laptop one? I've heard it is better to use a larger gauge from the dvr to camera, any recommendations?

jmar2011


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmar2011

Humm, it supports 240 to 2Tb drives but you configure it for NO DISK or 500Gb? Uh, what does this mean?

When guns are baned, only cameras can shoot the criminals with guns.

kelann162


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kelann162
omgiwin wrote:Once again this is from a crap company... woot moderators delelted my prior post so ill post it again.

check out the comparable model here, known as crap made by the same manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4216-500GB-Internet-Accessible-4-Channel/dp/B005FM8UL4

[MOD: FYI: different model; different cameras.



same company though. Thanks for sharing this info so we can make our own decisions

PedroCowboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PedroCowboy
kelann162 wrote:same company though. Thanks for sharing this info so we can make our own decisions



PedroCowboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PedroCowboy
PedroCowboy wrote:BTW - How long does the 5 dollar shipping take on average? I have been waiting 3 days for another item to ship and no tracking number yet...



Gatesay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Gatesay

What's with the audio inputs for each camera on the back of the unit? Do the camera's have audio out? I see there is no audio cable provided. The specs don't even mention it.

TomButler


quality posts: 0 Private Messages TomButler
PedroCowboy wrote:



I have items arrive, then get the tracking number.

gak0090


quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

Woot needs another tab on their page:

security systems!

or

candid camera!

or

your busted!

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

That one's a 4 channel, woots is a 8 channel with 4 cameras...

spendtime wrote:Can someone tell me what is the difference between this system and one http://www.zmododirect.com/4-channel-cctv-real-time-dvr-security-camera-system-no-hard-drive/ Other than the price and free shipping? The DVR specs looks the same and the cameras are same also.. Thanks!



cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk
TomButler wrote:I have items arrive, then get the tracking number.



Yeah, I got a USPS smartpost notification email after I got the package. And my last Newegg order, I got the product before I even got the invoice email.

cmdrredhawk


quality posts: 2 Private Messages cmdrredhawk

Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Color and IR? Most interested in the viewing angle. To get picture of a 16ft wide area how far away does the camera need to be?

http://www.zmodo.com/cctv-480tv-line-weatherproof-65ft-ir-night-vision-security-camera.html

euniceandrich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages euniceandrich
cmdrredhawk wrote:Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Color and IR? Most interested in the viewing angle. To get picture of a 16ft wide area how far away does the camera need to be?

http://www.zmodo.com/cctv-480tv-line-weatherproof-65ft-ir-night-vision-security-camera.html



If I'm doing the math correctly, you should get a 16' wide view at 12 feet.

http://www.securitycameraworld.com/technical-articles/focal-length-calculator.asp

PedroCowboy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages PedroCowboy
TomButler wrote:I have items arrive, then get the tracking number.



Thanks - Was worried that was going to happen

caphin


quality posts: 1 Private Messages caphin

Is it possible to extend the cables more than 60'? Or are longer cables available for purchase? I have a feeling that doing this might degrade the image, but if anyone has experience, let me know.

GeorgeZboy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages GeorgeZboy
eViLNeWBiE06 wrote:How far away from the box can the cameras be (i.e. how long is the power/AV cable)?



From the description:
"Each camera comes with a 60-foot power and BNC video all-in-one cable"

So, I'd say about sixty feet...

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004

I bought a 4 channel system from Woot a little over a year ago. I have been thinking of upgrading it to digital and 8 channels. I have priced out the new DVR and camera's separately it would be well over 250 bucks. I can use the hard drive from my existing Zmodo DVR and the existing camera's. While upgrading a few select camera's. At this price this is a smokin' deal.

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
caphin wrote:Is it possible to extend the cables more than 60'? Or are longer cables available for purchase? I have a feeling that doing this might degrade the image, but if anyone has experience, let me know.



Yes, I have extended some of mine up to 160 ft. They make cables for this, check Amazon. Or go to Zomododirect.com

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
dmiller004 wrote:Yes, I have extended some of mine up to 160 ft. They make cables for this, check Amazon. Or go to Zomododirect.com



Sorry typo...thats... www.zmododirect.com

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
Gatesay wrote:What's with the audio inputs for each camera on the back of the unit? Do the camera's have audio out? I see there is no audio cable provided. The specs don't even mention it.



The DVR is set up for audio, but these camera's do NOT have audio. The camera's with audio are higher grade than the ones that come with this kit. You can add camera's with audio later...BUT it''s a different cable. Check here...www.zmododirect.com

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
spendtime wrote:Can someone tell me what is the difference between this system and one http://www.zmododirect.com/4-channel-cctv-real-time-dvr-security-camera-system-no-hard-drive/ Other than the price and free shipping? The DVR specs looks the same and the cameras are same also.. Thanks!



The biggest difference is the Woot model gives you 8 channels vs. 4. So you can add more camera's later on if you like.

schep999


quality posts: 8 Private Messages schep999
ilikebike wrote:Security cameras, especially home ones, should be installed so that they are visible. You want them to act as a deterrent first and evidence second.



As with all design questions "It depends". In areas where the exposed camera can be reached, a hidden camera pointing at it works fantastic to catch people; they think they are being sneaky and covering the lens and while they do they turn their face right to the hidden camera. But you just burned two channels and drive space for one area -- cost vs benefit?

Also, you really want the cameras to be down closer to face level, underneath a baseball hat visor; the cameras are really reachable there. Hidden ones can be obtained at all different prices, some as low as $50.

I have this DVR and some cheaper cameras where I paid a little more. The DVR is a little cobby, but fine enough. My cameras are junk. The drive size should be at 1-2 Tb for 8 active channels. These cameras appear better, but the cabling harnesses can be a pain to work with.

I have installed several systems, and often get advice from a large CCTV reseller in Austin TX.

Important-- don't short change your budget on other cameras. The entire expense becomes a waste if you do not invest in decent cameras.

A really nice set of eight use-based cameras can approach $3200, and it takes some work to properly locate and cable them. Do the research, if 20 hours time saves you $1000, is it worth it?

Sorry for the length, hope it helps.

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
gilfilent wrote:Do I just get a regular SATA hard drive for this or is it a laptop one? I've heard it is better to use a larger gauge from the dvr to camera, any recommendations?



it is a 3.5inch sata drive. Zmodo recommends a drive rated for DVR use. Not an off the shelf drive. Zmodo recommends Western Digital "AV-GP line ...OR Seagate "pipeline" line. I found this info buried in their tech support site.

dmiller004


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmiller004
schep999 wrote:As with all design questions "It depends". In areas where the exposed camera can be reached, a hidden camera pointing at it works fantastic to catch people; they think they are being sneaky and covering the lens and while they do they turn their face right to the hidden camera. But you just burned two channels and drive space for one area -- cost vs benefit?

Also, you really want the cameras to be down closer to face level, underneath a baseball hat visor; the cameras are really reachable there. Hidden ones can be obtained at all different prices, some as low as $50.

I have this DVR and some cheaper cameras where I paid a little more. The DVR is a little cobby, but fine enough. My cameras are junk. The drive size should be at 1-2 Tb for 8 active channels. These cameras appear better, but the cabling harnesses can be a pain to work with.

I have installed several systems, and often get advice from a large CCTV reseller in Austin TX.

Important-- don't short change your budget on other cameras. The entire expense becomes a waste if you do not invest in decent cameras.

A really nice set of eight use-based cameras can approach $3200, and it takes some work to properly locate and cable them. Do the research, if 20 hours time saves you $1000, is it worth it?

Sorry for the length, hope it helps.



I found this website...it has a lot of good security cam Q&A... http://www.securitycamerasandmore.com/security-cameras/