WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HDTV Blitz

The external world is an uncertain, scary place. Full of monsters, bugaboos, and general malfeasance, it is best avoided or ignored. That's where HDTVs come in! Their captivating picture draws you into a safe, stable place where nobody can hurt you. Just never look away.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Which brands are your favorite? Which ones do you stay away from? Share with us!

I'm just hanging out, really.

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat

Holy crap guys, you're way overcharging for that Xtreme 96303 HDTV Deluxe Cleaning Kit:

http://www.amazon.com/HDTV-Deluxe-Cleaning-Kit-6-75fl/dp/B003WFBGNA/

Relax.

Bingo969

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Bingo969

Bought one of the refurb tvs from a previous Woot Plus offer. Had terrible luck along with lots and lots and lots and lots of other people. Wound up spending lots of time dealing with it just to send it back and wait a couple weeks to get my money back. Wound up spending 50 bucks more to get a brand new TV that arrived in perfect condition.

I love Woot but I would very strongly advise others to read through the Woot Plus threads of Refurb TV offers to see the long list of issues people have had. Yes Woot responds quickly to get the RMA process going (Of course!) but I'll still never bother with going through that hassle again.

skubaryk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skubaryk

I've owned a 42" Samsung LCD for about 5 years now. I've moved houses twice since I got it, and the picture is still as good as the day I got it.

The Sammy would be tempting if I hadn't bought a 47" LG LED 1.5 years ago....

asaphz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages asaphz

Am I missing something or is the Samsung being offered here refurb also sold on Amazon brand new for $10 less?

darthemerald

quality posts: 2 Private Messages darthemerald
asaphz wrote:Am I missing something or is the Samsung being offered here refurb also sold on Amazon brand new for $10 less?

Good find! and with free shipping on Amazon!

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
asaphz wrote:Am I missing something or is the Samsung being offered here refurb also sold on Amazon brand new for $10 less?

Yeah, between this, a comparable cleaning kit offered for substantially less (pointed out by DrunkCat), and the fact that I purchased the 26" Vizio brand new from Wally World nearly two years ago (albeit a killer sale but NOT Black Friday) for $199, I would say there are hardly any deals here?!? I have to agree with others that surely you can do better Woot!

I'm not at all surprised that none have sold out yet.

Sad Face...

emschelle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages emschelle

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't buy cheap HDMI cables? because that's one cheap HDMI cable, and I could use it.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
emschelle wrote:Can someone tell me why I shouldn't buy cheap HDMI cables? because that's one cheap HDMI cable, and I could use it.

There is no reason not to buy cheap HDMI cables. Despite what sales reps might say (especially at Best Buy where they try to scare you into buying the insanely price Monster brand cables) there is no difference between the performance of hdmi cables.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

takethemeatbridge

quality posts: 10 Private Messages takethemeatbridge
emschelle wrote:Can someone tell me why I shouldn't buy cheap HDMI cables? because that's one cheap HDMI cable, and I could use it.

HDMI Is a digital signal, so "signal quality" isn't a thing. The signal is either there, or it isn't. You can spend $20 on gold-plated mega cable with anti-polarity-reversing protection, but there is no evidence that expensive cables produce better pictures than inexpensive ones.

Generally speaking, a cheap HDMI cable is going to give you the same performance as an expensive one.

HOWEVER, sometimes cheap really does mean cheap. As in, loose connectors, or cheap insulation that breaks. I have ordered $.99 cables on daily deal websites, not from woot, that arrived chewed in half. I didn't even return them, because for a buck, it wasn't worth the time.

TLDR: Buy this cheap cable. If it breaks, buy another one.

ashah1111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashah1111

Hey woot! how about some new tv's, not refurbished... say 65" led??

vwoom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vwoom

$10 difference...that's how monkeys charge for repacking hdtv refurbs.

CoffeeOnIce

quality posts: 11 Private Messages CoffeeOnIce

So if a gal has a $300 budget for a TV, is it work taking a risk on the refurb to get a better set?

cbosworth09

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cbosworth09
CoffeeOnIce wrote:So if a gal has a $300 budget for a TV, is it work taking a risk on the refurb to get a better set?

Tell the gal to wait. Shoot for a newer model LCD but preferrably an LED. The prices are not too much different. Any refurbs you see can be found for $50 or so more on other sites and would fare you much better. That gal could also wait until after Thanksgiving. TV price trends are slowly dropping and that would be primetime to get one this year.

CoffeeOnIce

quality posts: 11 Private Messages CoffeeOnIce
cbosworth09 wrote:Tell the gal to wait. Shoot for a newer model LCD but preferrably an LED. The prices are not too much different. Any refurbs you see can be found for $50 or so more on other sites and would fare you much better. That gal could also wait until after Thanksgiving. TV price trends are slowly dropping and that would be primetime to get one this year.

Thanks for the advice. The gal cannot wait as unfortunately her monstrous ancient tube TV has to be repeatedly kicked to get it to show pictures. And, well...The Good Wife is coming back. I don't want it to look like a Cloverfield mashup.

The tip on LED helped a lot, though. I think I've found a winner. A little smaller, but hey, I sit four feet from the TV anyway.

dlcj21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlcj21

I bought 10 6" cobra cables from newegg for less than 20 shipped on a weekly ad a few weeks back. Even at 2.99 a piece they are more than worth it. The only main difference that gold will give you over the cheap ones is that it doesn't corrode as fast. Buy the cheap ones, you will not notice a difference at all.

Like the others said, buy cheap if it breaks buy another cheap one and you'll still come out spending far less than a monster cable.

soontekoh34

quality posts: 2 Private Messages soontekoh34

I used to work for Ultimate Electronics. I have had cheap and I have had top or the line Monster HDMI cables. There is no difference in signal quality. I have, however, broken the cheap ones and still have my Monster cable. The only difference is build quality. I have decided that I break them so few times that 5 $3 dollar cables is much cheaper than 1 $150 dollar cable.

Johnny1542

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Johnny1542

Has anyone had any experience with the Hisense? Just want to use it for my XBOX 360 and PS3

geredeth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages geredeth

If you can't find the Amazon sale, you can always turn to Monoprice - http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

6ft long cables starting at $3.50, all the quality you could need, and any length you might want. ^_^

chrism0811

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrism0811
inkycatz wrote:Which brands are your favorite? Which ones do you stay away from? Share with us!

Samsung is the only one worth checking out. The rest are C class electronics. Unless of course you are planning on buying one to put outside or in a kids room.

chrism0811

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrism0811
soontekoh34 wrote:I used to work for Ultimate Electronics. I have had cheap and I have had top or the line Monster HDMI cables. There is no difference in signal quality. I have, however, broken the cheap ones and still have my Monster cable. The only difference is build quality. I have decided that I break them so few times that 5 $3 dollar cables is much cheaper than 1 $150 dollar cable.

There is a middle ground between cheap($3) and expensive($150). I certainly agree that with top dollar cables, whatever brand, you are paying for better materials and a warranty. The first time you try and pull out the $3 smoking deal HDMI from you TV and the end breaks off and is stuck in your TV's input, you'll wish you spent a few extra bucks. Check out AudioQuest, the have some really nice cables(starting out) that won't break the bank.

ojaudet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ojaudet
CoffeeOnIce wrote:... I sit four feet from the TV anyway.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance
which indicates a 32" HDTV could suit your viewing distance.

jha1223

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jha1223
soontekoh34 wrote:I used to work for Ultimate Electronics. I have had cheap and I have had top or the line Monster HDMI cables. There is no difference in signal quality. I have, however, broken the cheap ones and still have my Monster cable. The only difference is build quality. I have decided that I break them so few times that 5 $3 dollar cables is much cheaper than 1 $150 dollar cable.

Ditto. Work UE in Des Moines. With older analog cables you could definitely find a quality difference, but with newer digital cables it either works or it doesn't. Save your coin.

With that being said, monoprice.com is your place. Pretty darn good quality and excellent customer service. They are my one stop shop for cables.

nutmeg3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nutmeg3
takethemeatbridge wrote:HDMI Is a digital signal, so "signal quality" isn't a thing. The signal is either there, or it isn't. You can spend $20 on gold-plated mega cable with anti-polarity-reversing protection, but there is no evidence that expensive cables produce better pictures than inexpensive ones.

Generally speaking, a cheap HDMI cable is going to give you the same performance as an expensive one.

HOWEVER, sometimes cheap really does mean cheap. As in, loose connectors, or cheap insulation that breaks. I have ordered $.99 cables on daily deal websites, not from woot, that arrived chewed in half. I didn't even return them, because for a buck, it wasn't worth the time.

TLDR: Buy this cheap cable. If it breaks, buy another one.

I have been buying my cables from http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz

SAMSUNG.

SAMSUNG 4 LIFE.

SAMSUNG ALL THE WAY.

SAMSUNG OR NO TV AT ALL.

SAMSUNG IS THE BEST TV MADE.

SAMSUNG IS THE ONLY TV I WILL BUY.

SAMSUNG I LIKE.

SAMSUNG.

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?

thawes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thawes

Anyone receive shipment notice on this yet? I ordered 2 tvs they still haven't shipped