james_hardiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages james_hardiman

I'm guessing that someone made that link live and then went home for the day thinking everything was all right. The sad part is that they're right.

In the end, woot moved their bags of crap. They don't care who they sold them to. This sale was a success by their standards, and every disgruntled customer who leaves in disgust at this debacle is going to be replaced by fresh suckers.

It would be some small justice if someone working the night shift at woot called them up RIGHT NOW to tell them they blew it. But that's the only justice there might be.

lylekong

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lylekong

Very disappointed that this could happen. I thought for sure Woot would be a bit more careful on such a great idea. I'm sorry this happened, not because I didn't get a bag O' crap, but because nobody playing fair ever had a chance.

-The only lyle you know

LeahD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LeahD

Well, FWIW, I just cancelled my purchase w/ the following message -
"I cannot believe I have wasted my day playing your farking Pirate BS game, and the link was live before the last piece was shown. YOU SUCK, WOOT! So, cancel this, MY LAST ORDER - so help me, Sweet Baby Jesus!"

I realize this is silliness; but in the larger picture, it's just one more indicator that we have created a society that REWARDS cheating at every level -- even the lowly Woot! level.

Now, I have to stay up reading the other comments and pondering how I've reached this place in my life.

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
novastarj wrote:Mods, I've seen some posts here being deleted, so you're clearly here monitoring this thread.

Care to weigh in at all?

I concur.

Thunderthighs, it's clear something got screwed up here and those sticking with the spirit of the puzzle got burned.

We'd love some feedback from someone at woot.

Apollo1Man

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Apollo1Man

Honestly the only way to rectify it is to fill the boxes with garbage for those that cheated.

ypmhammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ypmhammer
mu4poo wrote:are you new here?

Nope Newer, but not new. Been a wooter for almost a year now, and I've been fortunate to get two Buccaneers of Caribbean#39;s and some other great deals. It's all in perspective.

arevan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages arevan

Didn't get one but I STILL LOVE YOU WOOT! Thank you mods and other staff for a fun day and I can't wait for tomorrow (after some sleep that is). You're the best!

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

Ok... Grown man, reduced to tears, here. Thought I had it.. I really did. Finally, after all these years... Heck, I might not even open it, just to say I have one... Then... argh.

I don't blame Woot. Really. It's not their fault. Sure, they should have had the site 404 until the last piece was up, but that's difficult to coordinate.

No, what I blame is the gits who brute-forced the damn thing, leaving those of us who spent the day merrily tracking down pieces of the map, only to find out we never, ever had a chance at the prize.

So way to go, you bastards. You and your goddamn bots have ruined yet another Beeyo Sea. Yes, you really are pirates, this day. I hope they bring you no joy.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

hugetractsofland

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hugetractsofland

Woot, I have previously enjoyed all the creative ways the staff presents us with crap, and this one was fun, right up until the very end. I actually cut out and taped the pieces together with my 5-year-old who loves puzzles; she was having a blast putting them together and looking at all the pictures. But having the link be live prior to the last piece going up after a day full of mods banning posts for sharing info is very disappointing. It's not that I didn't get crap; it's that I played by the rules and didn't even get a chance at the crap.

dringrn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dringrn

Great marketing WOOT! Kept all these people glued to your site all night and day, buying up crap like crazy to get to the next clue.
And to all of you complaining: It's a GAME! And all you get at the end is a BUNCH OF CRAP! REALLY, IT'S CRAP! All the stuff they can't sell

lanmarkx

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lanmarkx

Yeah, this one really screwed it.
Absolutely no way that link should have been live until the moment that last clue went live to prevent this sort of BS.

Spent waaaay to much time piecing the maps together only to find out it was sold out before the last clue was posted; hell - people posted in this thread that they had one before the last clue even went live.

Doubt I'll be back woot.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

this is made even more aggravating by the fact that woot used the same "if you can see this then our servers haven't crashed yet" image, when in fact they'll never crash because it wasn't even available when 90% of us were going to the darn page.

vesayth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vesayth

Well, this certainly was a "Scurvy-Ridden Scavenger Hunt." I thought this was gonna be a fair game.

I'm not angry that I didn't get one. I'm angry that Woot didn't play by its own rules.

yoyoflamingo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yoyoflamingo
chrylis wrote:To the Woot staff and everybody complaining about the availability to order before the last piece was posted:

This was a treasure map. It was a puzzle. I solved the map by grabbing every piece up to the last one (although the one before that wasn't really necessary; Ominously was easy), trying a few arrangements to see what made the most sense, and trying letter combinations for the "gw" until I got the Buccaneers of Caribbean page. Solving a puzzle by putting pieces together and trying variations until it works isn't cheating, it's the whole point of having the puzzle in the first place.

Most people usually don't get a chance to order a Buccaneers of Caribbean when it shows up, even if they've been obsessively clicking the reload button for hours. This treasure map was an entertaining way to shake up the land rush, and demands to ban those of us who managed to figure out the answer without needing every single clue by calling us cheaters are insulting.

Not giving everyone a fair chance by making the last piece necessary before making the link live is insulting. I was expecting the X to have a location name as well, so wasn't guessing the missing letters- would have made sense to me to have the last location ONLY accessible in the last piece.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

kingmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingmel

It would have been fun to win a Buccaneers of Caribbean especially after working for it. But the whole process turned out to be a major waste of time dreamed up by a marketing person who wanted to get more eyeballs on each item.

I was looking to have some fun with an old fashioned treasure hunt, but it just ended up dumping a giant bag of disappointment on me. Woot appears to be following the course of Overstock - it started out good, but went commercial and lost its soul to the highest bidder. Woot on Amazon was the beginning of the end.

Firebert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Firebert

I played by the rules and got screwed like everyone else.

LeahD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LeahD

Time to take this Wootastrophe to the Twitterverse. What a marketing cluster-fudgcicle! Holy Wow, Woot!

afterburner101

quality posts: 1 Private Messages afterburner101

tonight i learned about "GIMP" and how to make layers and combining them.

I had some fun trying to put the puzzle together and trying to figure it out.

I didn't get a B. O. C. but i had fun...

Thanks to everyone in the thread for the teamwork... and for the lessons in GIMP.

Good night!

kristina1225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristina1225
rcbutchko wrote:Wow- I looked for woot on the slickdeals site and found that the whole map had been posted at 6:14 a.m. on the 10th of September: http://slickdeals.net/f/5171758-Woot-off-9-18-9-19
That can't be true, can it?
I can't believe that woot would go through with it if the word had been out-- but if it has, what are they going to do?

No, that post was edited about 20 minutes ago.

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars

For those of you mad that the link went up before the last piece. It went up at the time on the pirate's clock. Not a coincidence, so they obviously were all for people getting it early.

kcsixers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kcsixers

Looks like just doing a google search would have brought people to a forum which had the correct URL about four hours ago.

So there is your answer to why it was sold out so quickly. Someone figured it out and posted it and I wish I would have just looked there Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Woot really should have disabled the link until all puzzle pieces were available. Very disappointing.....

siobhan13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages siobhan13
kristina1225 wrote:8:39pm Pacific time CAR912 posted the link on slickdeals, a full 9 minutes before the last piece was revealed. I assure you that it was sold out before that piece was revealed, there is no doubt in my mind.

Well, I know what forums I'll be watching during tomorrow's map...

wewt!

poopfeast420

quality posts: 1 Private Messages poopfeast420

I intend to write the woot staff a VERY strongly worded letter that I expect all staff members to read in its entirety. This is an outrage and an offense to the very core of my being--this is no mere "Booty of Contraband" that we were unjustly denied... this is CAPITALISM. AMERICAN VALUES. FREEDOM.

Who's with me? USA! USA! USA! USA!

kingmel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kingmel
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

Can't hang on. Need to get some sleep. Some people actually have to work for a living.

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
chrylis wrote:To the Woot staff and everybody complaining about the availability to order before the last piece was posted:

This was a treasure map. It was a puzzle. I solved the map by grabbing every piece up to the last one (although the one before that wasn't really necessary; Ominously was easy), trying a few arrangements to see what made the most sense, and trying letter combinations for the "gw" until I got the Buccaneers of Caribbean page. Solving a puzzle by putting pieces together and trying variations until it works isn't cheating, it's the whole point of having the puzzle in the first place.

Most people usually don't get a chance to order a Buccaneers of Caribbean when it shows up, even if they've been obsessively clicking the reload button for hours. This treasure map was an entertaining way to shake up the land rush, and demands to ban those of us who managed to figure out the answer without needing every single clue by calling us cheaters are insulting.

I'm at least glad someone got one (or three)

caroltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caroltz

Seriously in tears here. Over a freaking game. Spent my entire day enjoying the hunt, only to have it ruined at the last minute.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

kristina1225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kristina1225
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

Thank you for the reply TT. We eagerly await your update.

freevortex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freevortex

Go TT go!

vesayth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vesayth

I hope this thread gets flooded with all of the map answers tomorrow to an extent where mods can't keep up with removing the posts.

Brendanradabaugh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brendanradabaugh

i got mine at 10:40, my roommate tried to get hers at 10:41 and missed out. it was a very short race.

surfphoto

quality posts: 5 Private Messages surfphoto

Thanks for letting us know. I was tired but now, I'm ashamed to say, I'm too angry to go to sleep.

soccernamlak

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soccernamlak

Thank you; we appreciate it!

Woots so far:
11/17/06 - Random Crap (3), 12/07/07 - When I Was Your Age Shirt (1), 12/25/07 - Random Crap (3), 7/12/09 - Woot-Off Lights (1), 8/6/9 - Framed Star Wars Film Cells (1), 12/9/09 - Screaming Monkey with Woot Cape (1), 12/25/09 - Santa Sack O'Crap (1)

emeybee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeybee

LOL at the "but I followed the rules!!!!" people. Where were these rules that you were so stringently following? Because I sure don't remember seeing any.

I'm sorry you didn't get crap, but let's not whine when you had the same ability to figure it out as everyone else and instead sat around waiting for Woot to tell you the answer.

Methinks you'd make some sorry pirates, mateys.

Bhawke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bhawke

Cheaters ruin everything. There goes a day of piecing it together.

caroltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caroltz
surfphoto wrote:Thanks for letting us know. I was tired but now, I'm ashamed to say, I'm too angry to go to sleep.

Ditto

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj

Much appreciated. We know you don't have control over other forums, but this was definitely disappointing for us here. Thanks for looking into it.

bakntime

quality posts: 15 Private Messages bakntime

The cheating isn't the people who solved the puzzle early. The cheating is the people who didn't even know there was a puzzle to be solved, but found the URL on a site like slick deals before the final piece was released.

The true mistake was woot not making the puzzle itself REQUIRE solving. If you had the URL, you were golden, regardless of whether you had been following along for hours and working to solve the puzzle.

I have no problem with "early solvers" who trial-and-errored their way to the URL. It's something woot should expect. The mistake was woot not making the last puzzle piece impossible to trial-and-error solve.

I ain't signing anything! What? It's not that kind of signature? Oh. So that's what it is? Oh. I'm still not interested.

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide

Thanks so much!

Sorry to grumble but we did all play fair over here so it's understandable that many are disappointed.

Jmfoulk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jmfoulk

yay!