malcolmxavier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages malcolmxavier
ThunderThighs wrote:

Somebody give it a whack, I think the record is skipping.

novastarj

quality posts: 30 Private Messages novastarj
brendaa wrote:I am so lost....how were we supposed to use the map to get a Buccaneers of Caribbean? By the time I got here everyone is mad cuz they didn't get one. I don't even know how I missed out. I did the whole map. Can someone summarize what just happened please?

The URL of the bag (available by piecing the map together) was posted on a well-known deals site about 10 minutes before the final piece of the puzzle went live on Woot. People on that site bought all of the bags prior to the final piece even showing up.

People here are angry cause they spent all day playing by the rules (with the Woot! staff deleting any hints or tips people posted), only to have the bag already gone by the time they had the chance to legitimately order.

Not to mention 99% of the bags were obtained by people simply clicking on a link, rather than playing along with the puzzle and being part of the community. It adds insult to injury.

I still love you Woot!, but I am sad.

jessiferr

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessiferr

Thank you for replying TT! I'm sure you guys are really busy trying to figure this out, so thank you for taking a moment to reassure us!

nikki2981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nikki2981
ThunderThighs wrote:

Thank you That's greatly appreciated.

we2vagabonds

quality posts: 0 Private Messages we2vagabonds

I am glad that they are looking into the situation. Printed out the pieces and went straight to the page and got "sold out". I thought that that was not right. Thanks for checking it out.

sjmeedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjmeedel

Ok, totally confused. I just finished printing, cutting out and tapping the map. Now what?

poostorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poostorm

Well, to be fair, Woot posted the URL knowing SOME people would figure it out, but I don't think they figured on people posting it on OTHER sites (which is weird, why not post it here?).

I actually tried this earlier today, when I had a free 10 minutes, but when I go home from work I had to feed the kids, give them a bath and put them to bed. I was following the pieces, barely, and the last piece was posted right as I put my son down. But, alas, it was sold out.

Still, if they had just posted the URL, their servers probably would have been back logged and people would be complaining about that too.

I will not be following this tomorrow. I might show up later to see if someone posts the URL though.

mlsapack

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mlsapack

TT we appreciate the comment and effort. It is one thing to miss out due to not figuring things out quick enough or server crashes or having to go potty, but to miss out this way doesn't sit right.

Pedro105Woot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pedro105Woot
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

It's got to suck to be a woot staffer right now. Good luck to you all. Go have some Salt Lick BBQ tomorrow. You've earned it.

longer1181

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longer1181
jesseroo wrote:nobody "cheated", and nobody brute forced the link. They figured it out after the second to last piece was released. Something anyone could have done. The link was available and ready to be purchased from. Does it suck that it was gone before the last piece? yeah, but it was merely filling in two letters...this isn't the only time woot is ever selling a Buccaneers of Caribbean either.

You obviously didn't put much time into this, nor do you appreciate the concept of a treasure hunt.

how do you get badges, I've gotten a few bags of crap but the badge thing eludes me . . .

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
EmmEff wrote:I was more of a magic wand, then Select -> Invert Selection then copy/paste type of guy myself

ah yes. the eraser trick i haven't tried. maybe next BOG map woot...oh wait...

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

We're hanging on.

On the bright side, GIMP is a useful tool and I found it thanks to this thread.

Also, thank you TT!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

longer1181

quality posts: 0 Private Messages longer1181
mlsapack wrote:TT we appreciate the comment and effort. It is one thing to miss out due to not figuring things out quick enough or server crashes or having to go potty, but to miss out this way doesn't sit right.

agreed

how do you get badges, I've gotten a few bags of crap but the badge thing eludes me . . .

tskup85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tskup85

This is upsetting, I waited all day for this to finally get a chance to maybe get my hands on a Booty of Contraband, It's what ever tho, just a game! One day I'll finally get one. Hey a man can dream lol.

skgpyro

quality posts: 2 Private Messages skgpyro
Norellicus wrote:To be fair, people were explicitly told "When it's all done, read it carefully, and you will find the answers you seek." So it's not entirely unreasonable to think that many folks had built up the expectation that they would need the entire map to successfully navigate to the Buccaneers of Caribbean

Were woot clever, they would have red-herringed the whole map and simply made the relevant bit available ONLY on the last piece. I honestly expected this given the office manager post earlier; a warning to let everyone who got that far know that they weren't as clever as they believed themselves to be.

I personally don't fault anyone who managed to figure it out early, I'm just disappointed at the execution of the puzzle to begin with. It's not much of a puzzle when you can solve it by brute force faster/earlier than someone can manage it with all the pieces/information available to them.

Oh I don't know, if the last piece negated the entire game, you would have just as many people complaining that they played the whole game and it didn't mean anything until the last one. Either way, I feel I had about the same chance on this one as any other, which is of course, next to none. =)

chrylis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrylis
longer1181 wrote:You may have figured it out, but read earlier posts. The solution was leaked earlier, other people cheated, that's the angering part.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't leaked before I ordered; I was third. And I was slow on the uptake.

broderya

quality posts: 17 Private Messages broderya

the only winning move is not to play ...

ToejamFootball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToejamFootball

Sure wish someone would answer me. I still don't get how the URL was deciphered from the map. I'm still looking at it,..and still don't know where we were suppose to go.

ToeJamFootball

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
omh1009 wrote:My printer is black and white, how would I get the red letters? douchy move woot, douchy move.

Is your monitor black and white, too?

sjmeedel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sjmeedel
djwitz40 wrote:Seriously. I actually printed everything out and got excited for it. Feel like i got played. What a waste of time.

With you there. So frustrating. It was fun at least.

mendina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mendina

Well, I have better skills at Paint.NET, a souvenir map, and an official, hard-earned picture of a red herring. Never been able to find a Buccaneers of Caribbean in time, and didn't really expect to this time...it was fun while it lasted, me fellow scurvy dogs!

Visualize FidoNet in 1993, and now imagine a witty tagline. Thanks!

mac454

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mac454

Just add me to the list of disappointed wooters. How frustrating after following the site all day. Oh well...

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
chrylis wrote:I'm pretty sure it wasn't leaked before I ordered; I was third. And I was slow on the uptake.

It was posted on SD 10 minutes before the final clue was posted.

emeybee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeybee
TomDavidson wrote:"let's not whine when you had the same ability to figure it out as everyone else"
I want to emphasize something, here. I had fun with this. I enjoyed it, far more than I've enjoyed all but a handful of the Woot-Offs over the years.

But I think the dismay people are feeling does not stem from their failure to "figure it out," but that the VAST MAJORITY of the people who successfully obtained a Buccaneers of Caribbean did so not by figuring out the actual puzzle but by hanging out with scumbags on SlickDeals. It's certainly true that we all have the same ability to hang out with slumbags, but that doesn't sound nearly as egalitarian for some reason.

The "VAST MAJORITY"? In all caps even? That's sure a hefty assumption. I know that figured it out myself once there was obviously only 1 or 2 letters left, and I got one with time to spare.

I went now and checked that Slick Deals forum and it seems like they have 50+ pages of trying to figure it out themselves.

But whatever, even if people did just find a link, I'm pretty sure you have Google too. Shoulda tried it.

To be honest, I'm glad the crap didn't go to the people who couldn't manage to read Woot's repeated instructions to finding the maps, or who needed their hands held to figure out how to copy and paste (or print, cut and glue). Why do they deserve it more than the people who were proactive?

supertetelman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages supertetelman

You guys have to realize that part of the fun of a puzzle like this is trying to figure it out before anyone else. The fact that the link was up live before the last piece is fine, and the fact that people dictionary attacked the missing letters is part of the fun.

The problem and reason why people should be upset is that the mods and people on the site were saying that collusion was bad, and the people who solved the puzzle were doing just that and shared the link when they solved it... thus removing the fun of cracking the code and leaving a lot of people feeling cheated for not "cheating."

That being said I'm getting my Buccaneers of Caribbean tomorrow. :D

jesseroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jesseroo
longer1181 wrote:You obviously didn't put much time into this, nor do you appreciate the concept of a treasure hunt.

how do you figure that? I've been following this all day. I just realize that it's not the end of the world

kle11az

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kle11az

Well, they could cancel all orders submitted before the last puzzle piece was posted. But why would they? All of us who played by the rules are victims of piracy. Nice going, Woot.

dtcbob

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dtcbob
ToejamFootball wrote:Sure wish someone would answer me. I still don't get how the URL was deciphered from the map. I'm still looking at it,..and still don't know where we were suppose to go.

Use all the red letters in order around the map.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

First, let us apologize for this. There were indeed cheaters that worked out the URL early. Those sales happened VERY fast and we stopped the sale. That's why you are seeing Sold Out. We are going to cancel all those orders.

Second, we can identify the first 200 users who hit the custom URL after the final piece launched. These are the users who should have gotten a Buccaneers of Caribbean (our quantity was 200). We are working out how to make things right for the "Honest 200". As always, that represents only a very small percentage of customers who wanted a Buccaneers of Caribbean but it was our intent that you all have a fighting chance.

So please put down the torches, take a calming breath and go ahead and go to bed. Some of you will get good news tomorrow.

And we're making sure that this cannot happen again with tomorrow's map. Please give us another chance. Thanks.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yrguide

quality posts: 5 Private Messages yrguide
broderya wrote:the only winning move is not to play ...

So.

Much.

Win.

Professor Falken.

bolashoof

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bolashoof

I feel like Steve Wiebe.

srladow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srladow
broderya wrote:the only winning move is not to play ...

^^^this. You're playing for crap!

the typing fool

Pedro105Woot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pedro105Woot
ToejamFootball wrote:Sure wish someone would answer me. I still don't get how the URL was deciphered from the map. I'm still looking at it,..and still don't know where we were suppose to go.

Dude! it's woot.com/ THEN ALL THE READ LETTERS!!!!! THAT IS ALL!

Postal1398

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Postal1398

I ordered more stuff than usual today (mainly because of the new 'free shipping' aspect) and had fun piecing the map together. However, I am very disappointed that people were able to buy the 'treasure' before the last clue was posted, especially since I was forced to stay up waaaaaay past my bedtime to try to get one myself. Had this happened before 9pm CST, it wouldn't be so bad.
I won't be cancelling any of my orders today, mostly because they were all things I need or really wanted because it was a good deal and I'm also not THAT upset. But, really, shame on you woot. And to the people saying we shouldn't be complaining, well, you're likely either happy because you got what you wanted today, or maybe you got a home gym for super cheap recently.....

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

I guess the annoying thing is that it means we should have been hanging around at slickdeals.net all day rather than woot.com. I'm not sure that's the sort of message Woot wants to send.

The solution really is to make the last piece too complicated to brute forces (more than 2 letters), or at least don't activate the link until the last piece is released.

Joshana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Joshana
ThunderThighs wrote:

First, let us apologize for this. There were indeed cheaters that worked out the URL early. Those sales happened VERY fast and we stopped the sale. That's why you are seeing Sold Out. We are going to cancel all those orders.

Second, we can identify the first 200 users who hit the custom URL after the final piece launched. These are the users who should have gotten a Buccaneers of Caribbean (our quantity was 200). We are working out how to make things right for the "Honest 200". As always, that represents only a very small percentage of customers who wanted a Buccaneers of Caribbean but it was our intent that you all have a fighting chance.

So please put down the torches, take a calming breath and go ahead and go to bed. Some of you will get good news tomorrow.

And we're making sure that this cannot happen again with tomorrow's map. Please give us another chance. Thanks.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

This is why you guys are the best!

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages RobinBobcat

Thanks Thunders.. It's good to know we're appreciated, at least.

If tomorrows is the same project, then I might advise:
1: leave a chunk with three or four letters as the last piece.
2: have the link 404 out until the instant the last piece is posted.
3: have a note that says 'arrenged in alphabetical order' or 'backwards' on the last piece.
4: send actual feces to everyone who ordered before the final piece was done.

Meow

Go Squarryls!

compmd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages compmd

Boooo to Woot for not waiting to make the link live after all the pieces of the map were made available.

You should cancel all orders before the last piece was given!

March 2008 - Screaming Monkeys
October 2008 - Barrels of Crud - JVC Camcorder case, Electric duster - Woot, thnx for nothing
November 2008 - Barrels of Crud - 60" tripod, Grandpa Munster Doll, some tape measures, ipod pillow.
March 2010 - Barrels of Crud - Fishing tote, wii chucks, Carrots tshirt, poorly packed box, TY Woot for sending me more crap - old ass broken Bushnell GPS, light up snowman, woot lights, mini screaming monkey.

mibutterflywingz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mibutterflywingz

For the record, how did you get to the page?

spike109u

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spike109u
chrylis wrote:Sure, and if there were some easy, reliable way to tell who grabbed the link off Slickdeals, I would tend to agree.

If Woot has any sort of analytics software, they can tell exactly how many people came from Slickdeals.

EDIT: "We are going to cancel all those orders."
Excellent, thank you. This is certainly a mess, but I'm glad Woot is making the effort to clean things up.