boomer70020

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boomer70020

didn't see that happening

kansasmom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kansasmom
greysoul wrote:ok so why would they make the Buccaneers of Caribbean page active 8+ hours prior to the final piece of the map being posted?

It's the time on the pocket watch in the pirate's beard. I can respect that, I guess. But .. .... But . ... ... Still.

binners

quality posts: 1 Private Messages binners
ThunderThighs wrote:

First, let us apologize for this. There were indeed cheaters that worked out the URL early. Those sales happened VERY fast and we stopped the sale. That's why you are seeing Sold Out. We are going to cancel all those orders.

Second, we can identify the first 200 users who hit the custom URL after the final piece launched. These are the users who should have gotten a Buccaneers of Caribbean (our quantity was 200). We are working out how to make things right for the "Honest 200". As always, that represents only a very small percentage of customers who wanted a Buccaneers of Caribbean but it was our intent that you all have a fighting chance.

So please put down the torches, take a calming breath and go ahead and go to bed. Some of you will get good news tomorrow.

And we're making sure that this cannot happen again with tomorrow's map. Please give us another chance. Thanks.

I'm still going to cry...

ToejamFootball

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ToejamFootball
Pedro105Woot wrote:Dude! it's woot.com/ THEN ALL THE READ LETTERS!!!!! THAT IS ALL!

hmmmm... alrighty then. Thanks. It's off to bed and no Woot for me tomorrow.

ToeJamFootball

RobinBobcat

quality posts: 42 Private Messages RobinBobcat
ThunderThighs wrote:An entire team to the rescue. I'm just the messenger.

Yes, but around here, messengers bringing good news get chocolate.

*offers fudge*

Meow

Go Squarryls!

jimgraffam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimgraffam
ThunderThighs wrote:

First, let us apologize for this. There were indeed cheaters that worked out the URL early. Those sales happened VERY fast and we stopped the sale. That's why you are seeing Sold Out. We are going to cancel all those orders.

Second, we can identify the first 200 users who hit the custom URL after the final piece launched. These are the users who should have gotten a Buccaneers of Caribbean (our quantity was 200). We are working out how to make things right for the "Honest 200". As always, that represents only a very small percentage of customers who wanted a Buccaneers of Caribbean but it was our intent that you all have a fighting chance.

So please put down the torches, take a calming breath and go ahead and go to bed. Some of you will get good news tomorrow.

And we're making sure that this cannot happen again with tomorrow's map. Please give us another chance. Thanks.

Well done, Woot! This seems appropriate and fair... win or lose.

My faith in you is already starting to be restored.

surfphoto

quality posts: 5 Private Messages surfphoto
ThunderThighs wrote:

Thanks for the update. I doubt I'm one of the 200 (with my luck I'm 201), but at least those who followed the spirit of the law will be rewarded.

kattykathy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kattykathy
ThunderThighs wrote:

Thank you so much for letting us know!!!! (and they couldn't pay me enough to deal with your job :-P)

ky83cat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ky83cat
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

Appreciate the heads ups, TT. However, the Woot staff also needs to understand teh frustrations of complying with rules that were "implied" by the quick deletions the mods were makingwith regards to "helpful" posts. I actually thought today would be my first Burned out Car. I really don't know why I should have expected something to work fairly in today's culture. THat being said...thanks for looking into it.

infinitycubed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infinitycubed
ThunderThighs wrote:

YES! That's so farking awesome. I'm sure I was in the first 200. Neato!

Sorry cheaters.

jnelson203

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jnelson203

I lost the scavenger hunt, poor me.

gmartell

quality posts: 10 Private Messages gmartell
ThunderThighs wrote:

Thanks for your consideration.

surfphoto

quality posts: 5 Private Messages surfphoto
ThunderThighs wrote:I IZ WOMAN!

And you can haz cheezburger.

tobakett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tobakett
ThunderThighs wrote:

Thank you so much for the quick response. *crosses fingers she's one of the 200*

Buccaneers of Caribbean #1 9-18-2012 (1 of the the Honest 200)

zAmb0ni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zAmb0ni
dtcbob wrote:Or you could just use the magic eraser and click on the white.....

or set the layer to "darken" and not worry about the white

jasonwilk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasonwilk

I'm glad to see Woot! is trying to do something to fix this issue. I think I will pass on the second map tomorrow though.

ThunderThighs wrote:

poostorm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages poostorm

You know what else is kind of funny? Even though I KNEW the point was going to be to put in a URL with all the red letters, I STILL took the last piece and finished the map, before trying the URL! It was like an achievement getting it all together.

caroltz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages caroltz

Thunder Thighs and all the Woot Folks -

Thank you for hearing our cries of frustration and anger. I appreciate Woot owning up to making a mistake and working to correct it. It's refreshing to have a company actually admit they screwed up and not try to pass the blame onto someone else.

Now, keeping my fingers crossed that I'm among the "Honest 200".

Off to bed and by the way, I'm still waiting for that excuse note for my boss to be emailed to me. ;-) (See a post of mine from much earlier in the evening.)

Indecision may or may not be my problem.

mswillis5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mswillis5
emeybee wrote:The "VAST MAJORITY"? In all caps even? That's sure a hefty assumption. I know that figured it out myself once there was obviously only 1 or 2 letters left, and I got one with time to spare.

I went now and checked that Slick Deals forum and it seems like they have 50+ pages of trying to figure it out themselves.

But whatever, even if people did just find a link, I'm pretty sure you have Google too. Shoulda tried it.

To be honest, I'm glad the crap didn't go to the people who couldn't manage to read Woot's repeated instructions to finding the maps, or who needed their hands held to figure out how to copy and paste (or print, cut and glue). Why do they deserve it more than the people who were proactive?

What about the user who figured it out at 8:40AM?

halperez

quality posts: 10 Private Messages halperez
ThunderThighs wrote:Hang on. We're not ignoring you. We're huddled over the phone and email trying to figure this out.

Guess we can add this map thing to the list of successful improvements. Seems to have been well received. All the positive comments regarding the Buccaneers of Caribbean sold out before most people were even given the link. Happy customer are more likely to return.

debraae

quality posts: 20 Private Messages debraae

all day. All day. ALL.DAY. Yes, I understand that some may have just figured out the last two letters - I was trying to do that myself, but I know nothing about "writing BOTS" or whatever. So I was doing it the old fashioned way...scrabbling, scribbling, etc. But to find out that I spent ALL.DAY and got beat by people who were not even ON Woot?!? Sad. Not end to the world, but sad. I was so excited each time I post #6, #7, etc. Too bad a fun game had to be ruined.

Thanks for working it TT.

emeybee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeybee
ThunderThighs wrote:

Now THIS is garbage. Wasn't this a puzzle competition? So we're now being punished for figuring out the puzzle before everyone else?

I mean sure, give the slowpokes their handouts-- but why cancel the orders for those of us who put in a little effort to figure it out?

mouse5hi7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mouse5hi7
chrylis wrote:I'm pretty sure it wasn't leaked before I ordered; I was third. And I was slow on the uptake.

Impossible, I was on top of it all day, sold out the second I got to the page

pureval

quality posts: 6 Private Messages pureval

I do thank you for the effort of fixing things, even though I am sure I am not one of the first 200. I would love to know how other people's browsers load the new item while mine still shows the old.

It puts the crap inside the bag or it gets the hose again.

gexo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gexo

I was one of the People who spent the day cutting pieces

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh218/GexoVedder/244251_10152132566365154_346746124_o_zps8e7a989d.jpg

faisalajam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages faisalajam

Well that's that. Hope I'm in the 200.

w00t!!!

rom

quality posts: 54 Private Messages rom

Thank you ThunderThighs. The solution you guys talked over the phone really is the best resolution

stryper2000

quality posts: 49 Private Messages stryper2000
ThunderThighs wrote:

thank you for dealing with us, Even if i wasn't one of the first 200 I still am thankful that you are working to resolve this for the others

x42

mrmatchudchu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrmatchudchu
ThunderThighs wrote:

TT Thanks!

dfwhokie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dfwhokie

Awesome work!
(Hope I was in the first 200.)

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Woot team to the rescue then!

You may be the "messenger", but you're also the face we see on the forums. So you're still our hero!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

msujp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages msujp
jesseroo wrote:nobody "cheated", and nobody brute forced the link. They figured it out after the second to last piece was released. Something anyone could have done. The link was available and ready to be purchased from. Does it suck that it was gone before the last piece? yeah, but it was merely filling in two letters...this isn't the only time woot is ever selling a Buccaneers of Caribbean either.

They had a map from the illustrator that was leaked before the clues, so yes they cheated hard.

mac454

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mac454
carlelynwood wrote:Good man, TT, Good man.

WOman. WOman.

Scbeard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Scbeard
ThunderThighs wrote:

Nice response actually. I wasn't signed in on my computer (been using the phone for browsing all day) when the map went live, which actually means I wouldn't have gotten one anyway, but it's good to know that a lucky few will. Congrats to those.

veroniquehicks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages veroniquehicks
ThunderThighs wrote:

WOW! Some really happy peeps tomorrow and really pissed off peeps tomorrow.

sinsemilla

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sinsemilla

It would have been SO EASY for them to add in a note on the last piece that turned the code into a cipher instead of a direct URL. That would have made it exponentially hard for a script kiddie to brute force.

Unadulterated, having the entire URL with only having to guess two letters is only 26*26 which is only 676 iterations. It really is no wonder that their crap execution failed so badly.

slein

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slein

can you send the people that purchased early bags of dog crap?

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei
ThunderThighs wrote:

Wow woot! I'm impressed you were able to figure all that out! Thank you for putting time and effort into it! I doubt I'm one of the first 200, but at least I feel better knowing that cutting and taping a map together was worth something, lol! Thank you TT!

novastarj

quality posts: 31 Private Messages novastarj
infinitycubed wrote:YES! That's so farking awesome. I'm sure I was in the first 200. Neato!

Sorry cheaters.

Or helping the slower SlickDealers who happen to have fortuitous timing? Either way best of luck to everyone in this thread!

scarredwithstars

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarredwithstars
jallenza wrote:for anyone who can't simply figure out the red letters, the map spells woot.com/fcwceckmfonptdmipwaacbfmigws ...redirects you to the offers page and surprise, surprise it's sold out. FML. The map game would have been fun but for discovering there was no possibility of actually getting a Buccaneer's ol' Cutlass...woot, you've officially lost MY buckets of cash...

LOL

WAY behind. Try reading for a change.