+ Add a Comment

freevortex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freevortex

Arr, mateys! Do ye want to have fun while huntin' treasure, chat about nothin' in particular, and meet new pals? Then park your peg-leg here, and get to postin'!

For the Newcomers:
Go here! http://www.woot.com/blog/post/the-search-for-crapbeards-treasure-a-woot-off-treasure-hunt and then take a look at this post:

Jason Toon wrote:Look for the word "TREASURE" in this space:

When you see it, click through to that sale's detail page, and look for the map fragment.

Put the map fragments together throughout the course of each day - there'll be one map on Tuesday and one on Wednesday.

THEN ALL SHALL BE REVEALED

Arrrr!

Quality Posts

freevortex

Is that a new piece of map I smell?

skinnychick810

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skinnychick810

Yay... I mean... AARRRR for part 2!

Glad that netbook bag sold faster than the robo vac!

dustandflower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dustandflower

Awesome!! So what are today's rules of plundering?

forcepalm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages forcepalm
freevortex wrote:Is that a new piece of map I smell?

If it is, I don't see it.

rjanecek2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rjanecek2
forcepalm wrote:If it is, I don't see it.

http://www.woot.com/offers/speck-a-line-13-notebook-bag-1

Last picture, you have to scroll down.

skinnychick810

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skinnychick810

So far, we're kickin' it at 5 pieces. And I, personally, am doing it old school with scissors and tape. It's more fun that way!

freevortex

dustandflower wrote:Awesome!! So what are today's rules of plundering?

To quote from the Pirate Handbook of Plundering, "Ye shall not plunder what yer mates 'ave already taken. Ye shall not plunder yer mates' girls. Ye shall plunder all else, and woe to those who try to stop ye!"

Er, I think that might be a bit outdated. How about "Have fun, help the clueless (without giving away all the fun!), and be nice!"

As to the map, I think (and this is just a supposition) that the actual Buccaneers of Caribbean page won't be active until we figure out whatever it is the map tells us. Other than that, who knows?

donnemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnemo
freevortex wrote:To quote from the Pirate Handbook of Plundering, "Ye shall not plunder what yer mates 'ave already taken. Ye shall not plunder yer mates' girls. Ye shall plunder all else, and woe to those who try to stop ye!"

Er, I think that might be a bit outdated. How about "Have fun, help the clueless (without giving away all the fun!), and be nice!"

As to the map, I think (and this is just a supposition) that the actual Buccaneers of Caribbean page won't be active until we figure out whatever it is the map tells us. Other than that, who knows?

I agree that they likely have a process in place to allow access to the page only after all has been revealed.

stele2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stele2

My gimping skills are vastly improved from yesterday. My map looks a shade better for sure.

dustandflower

freevortex wrote:To quote from the Pirate Handbook of Plundering, "Ye shall not plunder what yer mates 'ave already taken. Ye shall not plunder yer mates' girls. Ye shall plunder all else, and woe to those who try to stop ye!"

In that case... Good luck Maties, for I'm feeling in a winning (not whining) mood. There is the smell of salt and crap in the air and that's the direction in which I be headed...

freevortex

Hm, I just made chocolate chip cookies, but I live by myself. What to do with all these extra cookies? I think I'll stuff them in my CD slot and see if I can't send them to you guys.

mwolfatwork

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mwolfatwork

Arrr, happy treasure hunting maties. Hoping to score my first treasure today.

technologist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages technologist

Placeholder, for later comments...

mwolfatwork

freevortex wrote:Hm, I just made chocolate chip cookies, but I live by myself. What to do with all these extra cookies? I think I'll stuff them in my CD slot and see if I can't send them to you guys.

Mmmmmmm, cookies, mmmmmm. Er I mean Arrrrr.

scarfatty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scarfatty
donnemo wrote:I agree that they likely have a process in place to allow access to the page only after all has been revealed.

if it's anything like yesterday's map that won't be true. the bags sold out before the last map was given

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
dustandflower wrote:In that case... Good luck Maties, for I'm feeling in a winning (not whining) mood. There is the smell of salt and crap in the air and that's the direction in which I be headed...

I'm just hanging out, really.

freevortex

inkycatz wrote:*BOAT*

Hey Inky, completely off-topic but your sig means I have to ask: for one who wishes to be initiated into the world of the Doctor, which episode should I watch Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

EDIT: "f.i.r.s.t" = "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum"? I see, Woot. I see.

mwolfatwork

inkycatz be flying the flag of a privateer, not a ruthless pirate king.

inkycatz

mwolfatwork wrote:inkycatz be flying the flag of a privateer, not a ruthless pirate king.

I was hoping people wouldn't notice I was here mostly for the cookies.

donnemo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donnemo
scarfatty wrote:if it's anything like yesterday's map that won't be true. the bags sold out before the last map was given

And they said that they've made changes to address that problem.

dustandflower

freevortex

Yarr!

I be goin' to take an organic chemistry exam. Patrol the decks while I'm gone, mateys!

abitterwoman

quality posts: 28 Private Messages abitterwoman

Did someone say...cookies????? :O

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose."

mwolfatwork

Aye matey, the chocolate chips melted in my DVD drive and I am hoping it doesn't cause a complete system failure. Thar be more map pieces to pilfer.

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf

For those asking, I will describe how to join the map pieces, using the free photo editing software GIMP. Gimp is comparable to Photoshop.

First, Windows users can download it here:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

First, create an empty picture file:
File-->New
Template-->1600x1200-->OK
File-->Save As-->Map.png

Now open the saved map piece with GIMP:
File-->Open

With the opened map piece choose this:
Select-->By Color
Click on the white space surrounding the map piece, then:
Select-->Invert
Edit-->Copy

Go to the map file you created:
Edit-->Paste

You will be able to move the piece around. When you have it right where you wnt it, choose:
Layer-->Anchor Layer

Now choose File-->Save to save the updated picture.

When a new map fragment comes out, rinse & repeat.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
inkycatz wrote:
I was hoping people wouldn't notice I was here mostly for the cookies.

Off My Gangplank! I WANT COOKIES!!!

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
rehta wrote:Off My Gangplank! I WANT COOKIES!!!

I settled for 2 pudding cups. That's all I have at my desk. Had one vanilla, one butterscotch.

Still want cookies.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

james_hardiman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages james_hardiman
stele2 wrote:My gimping skills are vastly improved from yesterday. My map looks a shade better for sure.

I'm using this as an excuse to exercise in Seashore (GIMP-based graphics editor for MacOS). I'm doing better today than yesterday, for sure.

("pretty pirate hat", woot? really?)

aguaskier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aguaskier
james_hardiman wrote:I'm using this as an excuse to exercise in Seashore (GIMP-based graphics editor for pretty pirate hat). I'm doing better today than yesterday, for sure.

In the spirit of the contest, shouldn't we be getting Photoshop off BitTorrent? Why all the free tools when there's plunder to be had?

carpeamentum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages carpeamentum
wasserkapf wrote:For those asking, I will describe how to join the map pieces, using the free photo editing software GIMP. Gimp is comparable to Photoshop.

First, Windows users can download it here:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

First, create an empty picture file:
File-->New
Template-->1600x1200-->OK
File-->Save As-->Map.png

Now open the saved map piece with GIMP:
File-->Open

With the opened map piece choose this:
Select-->By Color
Click on the white space surrounding the map piece, then:
Select-->Invert
Edit-->Copy

Go to the map file you created:
Edit-->Paste

You will be able to move the piece around. When you have it right where you wnt it, choose:
Layer-->Anchor Layer

Now choose File-->Save to save the updated picture.

When a new map fragment comes out, rinse & repeat.

In case people want an alternate method.... and in case you truly have stopped looking at that thread... I put my method up as a reply to yours here: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5175336

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

rehta wrote:I settled for 2 pudding cups. That's all I have at my desk. Had one vanilla, one butterscotch.

Still want cookies.

i'll trade you a cookie for your butterscotch pudding.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

stevo89519

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevo89519
PemberDucky wrote:i'll trade you a cookie for your butterscotch pudding.

I don't think you want to do that trade... 'HAD a butterscotch pudding.'

carpeamentum

quality posts: 2 Private Messages carpeamentum
aguaskier wrote:In the spirit of the contest, shouldn't we be getting Photoshop off BitTorrent? Why all the free tools when there's plunder to be had?

I prefer GIMP to Photoshop to be honest....

It is less powerful, true. However, I can't get photoshop to do everything I can do in GIMP yet...

sil40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sil40

Garrr... I be gettin' hungry now mateys! All this talk of cookies and snacks has me about ready to lay plunder to the local snack machine!

inkycatz

sil40 wrote:Garrr... I be gettin' hungry now mateys! All this talk of cookies and snacks has me about ready to lay plunder to the local snack machine!

Deathface

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Deathface

I am super confused about this whole thing....

How many treasures have been found today? Is it worth it to even start , this late in the game?

Does each item have a treasure piece or only some?

Sorry for being a buccaneer...thanks!!

my blog: http://wowthatwaseasy.blogspot.com

wasserkapf

quality posts: 19 Private Messages wasserkapf
sil40 wrote:Garrr... I be gettin' hungry now mateys! All this talk of cookies and snacks has me about ready to lay plunder to the local snack machine!

I had a wisdom tooth pulled yesterday morning, and haven't eaten since then. Gotta go to the store & get soup & yogurt. Don't be solving the map and winning those Blue Oyster Cults while I'm gone!!

Zarabear

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zarabear

Sharing some pirate plunder and cute artwork to celebrate talk like a pirate day. Arrrrrgh me mateys!

This is pi-rat Peggy and Sir Plankton

Happy treasure hunting everyone!

Too many to list... Woot on, Wayne.

searchneverend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searchneverend

can someone tell me how many clues has been out for today, i have 4 and it seems like some people saying 5.
anyone knows which one was the first one.

Thanks