WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: If I could reanimate any of the dead U.S. presidents, I would pick:
  • 14.9% - George Washington because he “cannot tell a lie”? Really? That’s total BS and I’m gonna prove it. 425
  • 30.8% - Abraham Lincoln because I can’t wait to see him snap when one more person asks if he plays basketball. 879
  • 4.5% - William Howard Taft because Weight Watchers really needs a buzzworthy new spokesperson. 128
  • 20.2% - John F. Kennedy because he was totally sexy, amirite Ladies? 576
  • 13% - Millard Fillmore because, well, do I really need to explain why? 370
  • 16.8% - Other (Because this guy still has unfinished business) 479
2857 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

rprebel

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rprebel

As a card carrying "Van B boy", I'm gonna have to go with #8.

Jewels812

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jewels812

It is downright unAmerican that Reagan didn't make this list...

Timidor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Timidor

No love for Theodore Roosevelt?

arkansized

quality posts: 10 Private Messages arkansized
Timidor wrote:No love for Theodore Roosevelt?

I came here to say that.

Pottsville, Arkansas. Conveniently located on I-40 halfway between New York and Los Angeles.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

Andrew Jackson. The only president to ever balance the budget. He also took on the big banks and won. Of course there was the whole "Trail of Tears" thing though.

dtierce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dtierce
Jewels812 wrote:It is downright unAmerican that Reagan didn't make this list...

Reagan understood effective foreign policy and would have the best chance of understanding the modern world.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

Totally agree about TR. Best US President of all time. A real man's man who was both strong, virile and immensely intelligent.

It would be interesting to hear Abraham Lincoln's speaking voice, though. One of the greatest orators in the history of history and no one born after 1865 knows what his voice or his delivery sounded like. I would love to hear his speeches and compare him to some of the greats like Churchill, Malcolm X, MLK Jr., FDR, William Jennings Bryan, Obama and the aforementioned TR.

stevef2222

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222

considering the shape of the country...f.d.r.

callthekiteman

quality posts: 18 Private Messages callthekiteman

Yes, yes, yes.

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

It'd be nice to bring back Washington and the rest of the Founding Fathers so they can see what a mess we've made of things (and to hopefully put us back on track).

A lot of people like to proclaim what the intentions of the Founding Fathers were and to explain the "true" meaning behind their work and it'd be so great to have the actual men put those people in their place.

So, lets work on that reanimation...Or maybe I should just buy a DeLorean?

jsvend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsvend

george washington, just so the u.s. could hear his take on how things are going now, and what the original vision was for the u.s. i think it would be very insightful.

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

I went with Millard Fillmore as there is a bar and restaurant with that name near where I used to live in Fresh Meadows, NY.

Bullriding101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bullriding101

REAGAN by far!!!

schefdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schefdog

Abraham Lincoln FTW, because someone has to do something about all of the goddamn vampires running around!

tekman7d0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tekman7d0

I agree.
I miss the days when we all had jobs, we had more allies than enemies, and the enemies we did have would never think of attacking innocent civilians!

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
dtierce wrote:Reagan understood effective foreign policy and would have the best chance of understanding the modern world.

LOL.

Ya, he understood 'effective' to mean to let the security agencies create death squad dictators and terrorism to try to make a buck in Central America.

He blew the best chance we had to reduce the nuclear threat, sponsored and trained death squads that killed, raped, tortued, disappeared thousands for being pro-worker, terrorized a nation, killing thousands of them to pressure them to get rid of their government...

The US took a wrng turn under Reagan, it was the end of a strong democracy and a move to massive deficit spending, excess military industry, and for the first time in American history all the economic growth going to a few at the top.

Since Reagan was president, the bottom 80% have gotten about zero of the economic growth after inflation - while the economy more than double.

Those policies are still going on - since the crash in 2008, the US economy has made a huge recovery - but the top 1% have received 93% of that recovery.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
tekman7d0 wrote:I agree.
I miss the days when we all had jobs, we had more allies than enemies, and the enemies we did have would never think of attacking innocent civilians!

See my post above.

The economic recovery we did have was largely from the policies of Paul Volcker - who Reagan credits for, but was appointed by President Carter - until Reagan replaced him with the disastrous Alan Greenspan.

We know how THAT ended in 2008 soon after Greenspan left.

Reagan bought the prosperity that happened with massive debt like none ever seen in US peacetime history.

Ya, we had 'allies' - dictators, thugs, death squads, terrorists.

Who needed 'enemies' to kill innocent civilians - allies did.

Remember all that 'Saddam gassed his own people' stuff? Ya, Reagan made relations with Saddam MORE close right after that. Supplied him with WMD that we later claimed he still had.

The US Congress voted unanimously - think about that, both parties - for the Boland amendment to ban Reagan from sponsoring terrorism against Nicaragua.

Reagan violated the constitution and caused a constitutional crisis by ignoring the law and doing it anyway.

Good pick!

PUfelix85

quality posts: 2 Private Messages PUfelix85

Any of the founding fathers would be a good idea so that we could ask them what the meant when they were writing the constitution. I feel like we have forgotten.

x8

bigyoda20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigyoda20
Craig234 wrote:LOL.

Ya, he understood 'effective' to mean to let the security agencies create death squad dictators and terrorism to try to make a buck in Central America.

He blew the best chance we had to reduce the nuclear threat, sponsored and trained death squads that killed, raped, tortued, disappeared thousands for being pro-worker, terrorized a nation, killing thousands of them to pressure them to get rid of their government...

The US took a wrng turn under Reagan, it was the end of a strong democracy and a move to massive deficit spending, excess military industry, and for the first time in American history all the economic growth going to a few at the top.

Since Reagan was president, the bottom 80% have gotten about zero of the economic growth after inflation - while the economy more than double.

Those policies are still going on - since the crash in 2008, the US economy has made a huge recovery - but the top 1% have received 93% of that recovery.

So true! Unfortunately it's not a Republican thing. All our currently elected politicians are corporate whores.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
PUfelix85 wrote:Any of the founding fathers would be a good idea so that we could ask them what the meant when they were writing the constitution. I feel like we have forgotten.

I could not agree more. If any one of them were in the Fed Gov would be slashed by about 75% and rights would be returned to the individual states. No more executive orders and any law passed would have to stand the test of the constitution or not pass at all. But if I had to have a modern day Pres back, it would be RR hands down.

charast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charast

I too, am on board with this one!

merd919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merd919

William Henry. His pre-presidency career proves he had a lot more potential than 30 days in office allowed him.

redslaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages redslaw

Teddy Roosevelt, because is didn't take any crap from people wanting to attack us!

krdshrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krdshrk

Surprised nobody's said Thomas Jefferson yet..

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."

and

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Jefferson. A true renaissance man. When in office he cut the military, balanced the budget, kept us out of war, and bought Louisiana from Napoleon. He was a strong believer both in religious freedom and keeping religion out of government.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

RocRizzo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RocRizzo

I would kind of reincarnate Reagan, because he makes a good zombie. Shoot, the GOP tries to reincarnate him every year.
And he killed my brother when he stated that AIDS is a "gay cancer," and would not fund early research into a cure. If he was reincarnated, I could see that he dies with the same pain that my brother did. It would be sweet revenge for an actor who was playing the role of president. We only got Reagan, because John Wayne was dead!

"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

RocRizzo

dtierce wrote:Reagan understood effective foreign policy and would have the best chance of understanding the modern world.

He understood it to give weapons in exchange for hostages to Iran!
Yeah, Reagan was nothing more than an actor playing the role of president. We only got Reagan because John Wayne was dead!

RocRizzo

Bullriding101 wrote:REAGAN by far!!!

Reagan was one of the worst presidents ever! He looked good as a zombie any way.

RocRizzo

stevef2222 wrote:considering the shape of the country...f.d.r.

Here Here! One of the BEST presidents ever. He had unfinished business too. It would be GREAT to reincarnate FDR!

RocRizzo

Even though Reagan was so unamerican that he traded arms for hostages to Iran! Yeah, do you drink the kool aid much?

RocRizzo

Craig234 wrote:LOL.

You tell 'em Craig.
Even though you left out that Raygun traded hostages for arms to Iran, it was an excellent post. Perhaps some of the kool aid drinkers will wake up and drink the coffee!

Jewels812

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jewels812
RocRizzo wrote:Even though Reagan was so unamerican that he traded arms for hostages to Iran! Yeah, do you drink the kool aid much?

Roc, you mad bro?? Seriously. People can have differing opinions. You have attacked everyone who has supported Reagan. We get it, you don't like him. How about you lay off that kool aid, bro? Welcome to America, try brushing up on that 1st Amendment before you give yourself an aneurysm.

maigrey3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maigrey3
stevef2222 wrote:considering the shape of the country...f.d.r.

FDR started this mess

Buysharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buysharp

I'm torn between:

Jefferson
FDR
Teddy
Madison

Each would bring something different our political situation needs.

dishee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dishee
Jewels812 wrote:Roc, you mad bro?? Seriously. People can have differing opinions. You have attacked everyone who has supported Reagan. We get it, you don't like him. How about you lay off that kool aid, bro? Welcome to America, try brushing up on that 1st Amendment before you give yourself an aneurysm.

Hahahahahaha!! Way to represent, Jewels. You do us proud!

maigrey3

RocRizzo wrote:Here Here! One of the BEST presidents ever. He had unfinished business too. It would be GREAT to reincarnate FDR!

FDR started this mess. He did some good things, but under him, this entitlement mentality began. It used to be shameful to sit on your duff and let your fellow citizens give you handouts. It was called charity and people hated it. Then the GOVT started welfare... it became anonymous who the $$$ was coming from, but people still hid it from their neighbors. NOW, almost everyone who lives off the government dole, brags about it.

maigrey3

Buysharp wrote:I'm torn between:

Jefferson
FDR
Teddy
Madison

Each would bring something different our political situation needs.

Thomas Jefferson ALL THE WAY

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
Jewels812 wrote:Roc, you mad bro?? Seriously. People can have differing opinions. You have attacked everyone who has supported Reagan. We get it, you don't like him. How about you lay off that kool aid, bro? Welcome to America, try brushing up on that 1st Amendment before you give yourself an aneurysm.

"Bro" what does the 1st amendment have to do with someone expressing their opinion on Woot "Bro",as far as I know "Bro" the government hasn't stepped into this discussion yet "Bro". Can you throw in a "Dude" once in a while "Bro".Thanks for listening "Bro"

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
maigrey3 wrote:Thomas Jefferson ALL THE WAY

Yeah, TJ for the win. Government by meritocracy, use of actual science instead of magical thinking, what could go wrong?