5%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Energy Take Classic 5pc Speaker System
$169.99 + $5 Standard OR $22 Two-Day OR $25 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

Can't wait for someone to ask if this'll work with an iDevice...

ysoslo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ysoslo

These are highly recommended by cnet and I've had them for nearly a year myself and have been VERY happy with them. There isn't a sub included with this deal and that's a must-have for the system to be all it should be.

beleita

quality posts: 1 Private Messages beleita

CNET Editor's choice and great Amazon reviews as well!

You'll need a nice sub-woofer and a great receiver, throw in some wires from monoprice and that is a pretty cheap pretty awesome system.

mfladd

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mfladd

I have 3 Energy speakers from wOOt's past for a long time and love them. It is true that you will need a sub-woofer with the system, but sub is the item that does not have to match up with the rest of the system. I have a Sony on mine and all is good.
Adding to the deal are these energy speakers from Newegg which are on sale thru 9/23- Energy CF-30 2.5-Way Floorstanding Speaker: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269013

Nine11

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nine11

I've had these speakers for about 3 years and have been very happy. Run them off an HK AVR 230 amp paired with a SVS PC12 powered sub. Awesome setup for the money.

DigMe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages DigMe

These are fantastic speakers at any price but especially at this price. I got my set from Newegg for $150 but this is a great price as well. I have them mounted on my walls around my living room and they sound really crisp, defined and not small. They do not have that tiny, tinny speaker sound that a lot of small speakers have. Music and movies are both great through them. I have mine paired with a Dayton Audio 10" sub. It's better to buy them like this and get a sub than the set with the sub because the sub in the 5.1 set seems to be the weak point.

You will not find anything that sounds nearly this good in a small speaker set in this price range.

chang3d

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chang3d

This is probably the best small speakers ever made. The new model Energy RC Micro 5.0 is also good, but it's drivers are smaller and doesn't go as low.

I'll take two. Another 7.1 system with spares coming up!

Too bad the subwoofer doesn't come with this!

tww1fa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tww1fa

Take Classic is a new name for the old Take 5 speakers. I've had the Take 5 speakers for several years and they're very very good, even for the money I paid for them years ago (closer to the $400 mark.) At this price they're a steal. Pair them up with a good subwoofer (doesn't have to be Energy) and you'll have a very nice home theater speaker set that will also perform quite well when playing music.

jtrain2000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtrain2000

I've had the Take 5 speakers with the sub for about 10 years and have been completely happy with them. This is a great buy.

drakkula

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drakkula

Really need that one. Only if I wasn't short of money.

tibault

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tibault

In case you didn't know; Klipsch makes some serious kick-ass speakers.
Hey, feel free to get soaked at Best Buy - or take a ridiculous chance getting stuff off the back of some dubious van with a couple of greasy guys with thick accents. Or get a proven product promptly delivered from a reputable source committed to providing outstanding values.(is it me, or does that sound like a no-brainer?)

mateo999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mateo999

in for one

davesdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages davesdad

I've had these for over a year. Eventually added an Energy sub. Sound quality is amazing. This is a great buy!
Energy is a Canadian branch of Klipsch. Klipsch was acquired by Audiovox last year.

yakak28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yakak28

Agreed with the above comments. I already have a Klipsch system that kicks ass, so my wife wont let me buy another. But this is a great deal.

saviormachine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saviormachine

How about one of these, plus an Energy S10.3 subwoofer for $200, and a refurbed Denon AVR-1612 for another $200? That's a potent and versatile system under $600.

Owners rave about the S10.3 subwoofer and I can personally vouch for the 1612 receiver, as I've bought it three times--once for a girlfriend, and twice for different systems in my home. I bought one of mine refurbed, from this same retailer, and the condition was identical to brand new, just with non-retail packaging.

Incidentally the Denon 1612 *IS* compatible with your iDevices.

essay2u

quality posts: 7 Private Messages essay2u

i also have had these speakers for about a year. i'm still astounded by the sounds that I've never heard before. please note: at first you will think someone is breaking into your house or running up your stairs even though you're home alone. it's ok - the house isn't haunted.... you just finally got a kick-ass sound set-up. enjoy hearing for the first time

ShadowTech

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ShadowTech

In for 1, been wanting to setup a nice home theater for a while now and our Vizio soundbar, while decent, just doesn't do the job.

Already have a Dayton Audio powered 12" sub, so hoping they can match well. I'm no audiophile, so as long as it all sounds decent I'll be happy.

Now I just need to find a good receiver for around $200.

\o/

saviormachine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saviormachine
ShadowTech wrote:Now I just need to find a good receiver for around $200.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH

atetra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atetra

I've had these for about 6 months and they are excellent sounding for the $$. Perhaps not stellar sounding, mind you - but if you want to put together a nice budget surround system, don't hesitate to pull the trigger on these. I paired them up with a HSU designed Outlaw Audio M8 Sub. Great setup - short $$. Do it!

Quality Post? What's a Quality Post??

devilsmage

quality posts: 1 Private Messages devilsmage

Bought these speakers about 10 months ago...easily the best thing I bought for my home. These things pack alot of quality in for a good price. You definitely need a sub for these as this particular set isnt designed to carry low frequencies(thats what the sub is for).

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS
beleita wrote:...throw in some wires from monoprice...

Or just get some cheap zip cord from your local hardware store.

nokkieny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nokkieny

would these work well for background music in a 2000 sqft business?

amizar1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amizar1

I have had this system with the sub made for these speakers for over a year. They are incredible speakers for the price. I would highly recommend the sub to go with these

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Tech! Woot! has the Sherwood amps on sale. Has anyone paired these Energy speakers with a Sherwood A/V receiver? I have only a 2-channel Yamaha receiver.

djfreq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djfreq

Got these for $150.00 from NewE** around January this year. They freaking rock...insanely solid sound for the price. I'd snag these up if you're in the market. I've read other reviews where these are being compared to Bose and surpassing them....I can't speak to that myself but my God do these things sing. Remember that you'll need a decent receiver and a sub-woofer to round out the setup.

PS I hooked mine up to a Pioneer VSX-520-K :: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-520-K

djfreq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djfreq
ShadowTech wrote:
Now I just need to find a good receiver for around $200.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-520-K

^love mine. =)

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Over in the Deals section there's a Martin Logan system with sub for $299. This Energy stuff gets people all hot and bothered because it may be their first small step up from basic consumer level crap. There's a whole lot of nicer stuff out there.

cricky101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cricky101
skrutinizr wrote:Over in the Deals section there's a Martin Logan system with sub for $299. This Energy stuff gets people all hot and bothered because it may be their first small step up from basic consumer level crap. There's a whole lot of nicer stuff out there.

Sure, there's nicer stuff out there ... for at least twice the price.

For $169 these speakers are outstanding.

anderspn77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anderspn77

Can anyone tell me how these speakers compare to Yamaha NS-AP6500's? I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but just wanted to know how much these would improve my sound. I have a Denon AVR-591 receiver and a decent sub.
Here are the specs I found on mine.
Yamaha NS-AP6500F 5-Piece Cinema Surround Speaker System

Type: 2-Way Bass Reflex
Front: 6.5" Woofer + 3/4" Tweeter
Center: 3" Woofer x 2 + 3/4" Tweeter
Surround: 3" woofer + 1/2" Tweeter
Impedance: 6 ohms
Nominal Input: 30W
Maximum Input: 100W
Sensitivity: Front: 85dB, Center/Surround 82dB

Frequency Range Front 55Hz - 35KHz
Center 100Hz - 35KHz
Surround 100Hz - 35KHz

kimvette

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kimvette

I ♥ Klipsch Reference and Palladium (Palladiums are well out of my price range for now ) series speakers. I have the RF-52 II towers and two RW-10D subs and they are fantastic, and I will be complementing them with four RS-52 II and one RC-52 II speakers, and when I move possibly two additional RF-52 II or two RS-52 II speakers (I have a 9.2 Elite receiver). The speakers are fantastic - even the RF-52 II speakers hold their own for bass (Pink Floyd and classical music are my preferred program matter). The highs are clear and crisp even off-axis, without the harshness normally associated with horn drivers.

HOWEVER: I do not like the Synergy and Energy lines. /For the price and size/ they are excellent, but for a modest amount more, you can get into Reference speakers. The highs and mids don't boast the awesome clarity and definition Klipsch has long been known for, and they don't handle the same level of power either.

If I had to guess, I'd guess that it's Audiovox's influence bringing cheaper products to Klipsch's lineup, and I worry that the Audiovox philosophy will taint Klipsch's traditional high-end products, or at least tarnish the name and cause audiophiles to avoid Klipsch altogether, prompting the disappearance of the Reference and Palladium products.

kimvette

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kimvette
StanleyS wrote:Or just get some cheap zip cord from your local hardware store.

Agreed. AV trade journals have conducted informal A/B/X tests between high-end speaker cable and coat hangers, and no one could tell the difference. I do usually go with fine-stranded speaker cable, but I choose the "off brands" like Monoprice or Pyramid because it doesn't impact sound quality. I just choose the fine-stranded cable because it usually has a smaller bend radius, being far more flexible. As long as the wire gauge is heavy enough for the power levels you expect to run, is flexible enough for your install and you don't care about matching decor (or bragging rights - let's face it, that's why a lot of people buy monster cable, so they can get technologically ignorant friends go geek out and awww and ahhhh over it) zip wire is fine - and monoprice wire is an excellent choice if you need more flexible or heavier gauge speaker cable.

Same with interconnects: if you're doing S/PDIF or HDMI, bits is bits is bits. As long as you are within the length constraints of the interconnects, as long as they meet spec they will all sound absolutely identical.

Line-level analog audio? Cheap monoprice or Amazon Basics interconnects are all you need, unless you are wiring in parallel to high current/high voltage lines, or unless you take your gear on the road doing sound for gigs. In either case, you would benefit from professional (not, botique brands like Monster) interconnects, with special attention paid to terminators and stress reliefs. Other than that, home users should pick cheap shielded interconnects, with gold-plated terminators providing a minor benefit in tarnish-resistance (which is debatable since interconnects usually form a weak "contact weld" when plugged in, which will be nearly oxygen-free, shielding it from corrosion) and electrolysis (which does slowly corrode dissimilar metal contact points).

gidgiddonihah

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gidgiddonihah

Thinking about setting up a home theater in my room with these but cannot find a cheap receiver. Anyone know of anything good for 100-150$?

Tyson

skrutinizr

cricky101 wrote:Sure, there's nicer stuff out there ... for at least twice the price.

For $169 these speakers are outstanding.

$299 isn't twice as much as $169, last time I checked. The $299 setup includes a sub, which this cheap set not only doesn't have- but everyone who has commented about their experience owning them has stated is a requirement to sound decent.
The $299 setup is complete, this one is not.

I got a set of Energy speakers because they were cheap, and they are. They sound like it too, but they're ok for the garage. Klipsch jumped the shark years ago and no longer is a premier brand... it's now just a name on a Chinese mass produced speaker.

You won't get a decent sub for $130, so head over to the Deals! section and get the ML's.

davehathaway

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davehathaway

I bought the version of these on Amazon that includes the subwoofer. I connected them to my Yamaha RX-V671 A/V receiver for my surround system. I initially re-used some Yamaha speakers from my old 5.1 system, but I recently bought a pair of Infinity P363 3-way floor speakers from Fry's for the front L/R and these 5 speakers are the front and surround.

As surround speakers, they are perfect. I can play the TV at low volume when the wife sleeps, and get plenty of quality. The sound fills my room and I can hear perfectly while she can still sleep.

I'll admit to cranking the volume up too. The Yamaha can't put out enough watts to hurt the 3-ways, so I have mixed the volume up to those, and can max out my receiver without damaging the speakers. Everything sounds great, and I love making the cat-toy rattle on the coffee table with the bass channels.

These Energy Classic are a great addition to my surround system. If I had seen this deal last year, I would have bought these 5, added a sub-woofer for $200, and been money ahead.

jrj3224

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrj3224

Okay, I'm sold - In for one (damn it!).

gossamer88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gossamer88

I would like to cancel my order (just placed minutes ago) as I did not realize the subs are not included.

skrutinizr

gossamer88 wrote:I would like to cancel my order (just placed minutes ago) as I did not realize the subs are not included.

Not sure how anyone could think a sub WAS included.

iGGz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages iGGz
skrutinizr wrote:Not sure how anyone could think a sub WAS included.

Hmmm, maybe by thinking that the sub WAS included?

I'm not sure how anyone could think about how someone could think that a sub wasn't included.

i am woot's god.

You're the giant Ken Jennings head? HOW DID YOU GET OUT?