neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I have a Vornado that looks similar but not quite identical to this; it's black but about the same size. It's great! My main concern was safety for my dogs; I wanted a unit that was entirely cool to the touch, and this one is, even when it's running at high heat. I appreciate that it will turn off if it tips over, but I have no personal experience with that. It's fairly quiet, as space heaters go. It's enormously efficient in a closed space: heats my bedroom up in five minutes, bathroom in 2-3 minutes. When I run it in the living room, however, I tend to huddle right on top of it. Which brings me to my only problem with it, which really isn't a problem: it's smart enough to shut off when it senses something too close to it, and I have to keep it at least, oh, 6-9" from my leg; if it gets closer than that, it will shut itself off. Technically, I suppose this is a good feature!

Also, my dog gives it two dew claws up: she'll hang out in front of it for hours.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous
lminor7 wrote:I hope s(he) is responding to you because I used to have a woot-bought Vornado table top fan where the fan is clamped to the base and can be removed for convenient placement. It worked great until the fourth or fifth time it was dropped. After that, not so much. I've searched for another one like it and can't find it anywhere!

I have that model too (Vornado 542B). pretty sure its been discontinued.

KLD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KLD

Looks more like this one at Amazon (model EH1-0025-01, made for Walmart), which unfortunately has no reviews yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Compact-Portable-Electric-EH1-0025-01/dp/B006EI99Q8

Appears this is a discontinued model. I found reviews from 2001 and not much later.

mattao18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattao18

Oh Woot, you read my mind. I live above a salon on (including the basement where the heater is located) the third floor of an old building in Buffalo, NY. I can't express my need for this. Thank you.

skatingaway

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skatingaway

Well Woot, this is sooo not like you. Still no model number, over an hour later? You're saying this is a VTH, I saw TVH models on Vornado's website. But none of their products resemble the one you're selling.
Since $40 is still not so cheap, I'd like to review what I buy.

friartek

quality posts: 15 Private Messages friartek
Jaggd21 wrote:Tempted to buy this, but I'm a little concerned with the lack of information about this specific heater.

Since it is not listed on the vendor's site, and since I can't find any real specifications anywhere, I to will pass on this one. This is not the only item I've passed on because I couldn't find specifications, and I'm guessing it won't be the last.

tolerance: a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
BOC: 4 Including the very last Woot!-off B)C. One of the lucky few.

mrdigby

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrdigby

How many WATTS??????????????????????????????
DUHHHHHHHHHHH.
That specification is NOWHERE to be found......

roguetorino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roguetorino
SonOfBender wrote:Further mixed reviews:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=10607485

That's not the same thing.

gullsnest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gullsnest
mrdigby wrote:How many WATTS??????????????????????????????
DUHHHHHHHHHHH.
That specification is NOWHERE to be found......

The wattage has been posted earlier in this very discussion. As with almost all electric space heaters: 800(750)/1500

Draakan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Draakan

Just looking around ebay I found one listed as.

Vornado REH1-0001-01

Epinions Review

Seems pretty good. 4.5 stars with 22 reviews on that site anyway.

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

I have the black version I bought from Costco a few years back.
I have vaulted ceilings, and bedroom that is 14'x14... It heats it up with the room closed off, with the outside temp around freezing to 40 degrees F. It gets it toasty quickly, within 20 minutes I'd say. It does draw a lot during those 20 minutes, so though I wouldn't say isolated circuit, I'd say to let up on running a power tool, microwave, vacuum, dryer, and toaster on the same circuit.
I specifically bought this because I had a newborn (now 3 year old) that I didn't want to get burned. I normally prefer the oil filled radiator style heaters. We have other heaters installed, but I like to have the woodstove going in the livingroom, and then use these to supplement the chilly bedrooms. I have also used this as a sole source when the wood accidentally got rained on. It kept the whole house warm (combined with a ceiling fan to circulate the air through the house), but not likely the most energy efficient as it kept going almost the whole time. I also put it in the bathroom to get them nice and toasty, and in the kitchen for breakfast. I love that it is so portable!

ephobia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephobia
ernesto47 wrote:Do I need a dedicated circuit? is it a 120 volt.

You don't need a dedicated circuit, just a regular 120V wall outlet. But be sure that you aren't using a lot of electronics plugged in the room or on the same circuit while this heater is on or you may kick the circuit breaker.

goldenlife

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldenlife

is this Vornado VH2..?

lminor7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lminor7
wilcononomous wrote:I have that model too (Vornado 542B). pretty sure its been discontinued.

But that was my most loyal fan :-(
life is not worth living...

so do you use yours much
- ¿ o

ephobia

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ephobia
bonkerz wrote:Would this be able to heat a large (~12' x ~20') room?

If it's a fully enclosed room with a door that's closed, it's possible. It will take a while to heat up. I have an office in my house with that size and after about an hour, the heater was able to make the room a little warmer. Be sure to place it on the floor as heat rises. And be sure to point it towards you, but not so close that it singes you or anything close to it.

sdgabel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdgabel

This is the model number I found on Amazon: EH1-0025-01, which looks to be the same model. There aren't any reviews for it on there, and are only 4 of them. I am assuming that its a discontinued model, as stated previously. Isn't on Vornado's website or Vornado Central, which sells all Vornado models.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EI99Q8?ie=UTF8&tag=fantastic-gui-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B006EI99Q8

seachongo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seachongo

Anyone hazard a guess on the efficiency of using this in a rather small, but open door bedroom VS. using the older electric baseboard heater?

pikorella

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pikorella

Check this out. Looks like the same model recalled in 2004. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04191.html

[MOD: These are newly manufactured units. They were built as an exclusive to a retailer that opted out of this unit at the last minute.]

hkandm4s

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hkandm4s

EH1-0025-01
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000BY819C/ref=aw_d_cr_kitchen

"Dual function fan
control for intermittent or constant heat
output. Variable heat setting gives you a
wide range of temperature settings. Variable
heat output up to a maximum of 750W or
1500W. "

I gather from the reviews they were exclusive for wal mart, only sold for a short while, then discontinued due to overheating when used on max wattage. Seems like the thermostat wears out and stops limiting wattage until the element blows and it turns into a regular fan. I don't know but maybe they fixed the thermostat for refurb to sell off the lot.

amethyst777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amethyst777
SuperNinja wrote:The world needs to be colder, not hotter. Ban all heaters. Put an air conditioner on it instead.

I AGREE with you!!!

marcbloch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcbloch

ALL heaters that plug into an outlet are capped at 1500W. UL 120V.

Also, heaters in this price range, deal or not, are "variable" in steps of 600, 900, and 1500W.

royphil345

quality posts: 1 Private Messages royphil345

I did see reviews about Vornado heaters overheating if the thermostat fails. That doesn't sound right. I've used a lot of heaters and I've never seen one that would damage itself running continuously at the highest setting. I don't see any advantage over any other 1500 watt heater with a mechanical thermostat you can get for less. I'd probably get something else.

marcbloch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcbloch
royphil345 wrote:I did see reviews about Vornado heaters overheating if the thermostat fails. That doesn't sound right. I've used a lot of heaters and I've never seen one that would damage itself running continuously at the highest setting. I don't see any advantage over any other 1500 watt heater with a mechanical thermostat you can get for less. I'd probably get something else.

Thermal protection switch (actualy, a fuse). If it burns out, just stick a penny in its place (and good luck with your insurance once the fire investigator also wonders why there was no thermal cutoff on your non-UL device).

Safery precautions are there for, umm, YOUR and YOUR FAMILY'S SAFETY. Disregard at your own financial and mortal risk.

geo8rge

quality posts: 33 Private Messages geo8rge
ThunderThighs wrote:Found some information on our end that has it as 800 / 1500 watts.

At max it will draw 12 to 13 Amps. Most household circuits can handle 15. So Y'er cutting it close.

Sage advice about power cords.

Fire Safety: Electric Heaters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO7_y3Zw1D0

(Overall signature size was getting large. Recommended signature size is 5k.)

coline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coline

Yo need to specify more technical specs, as it is specify the wattage of the device, the current needed, the voltage, things really important to people who want to use it as a heater in a solar powered home and eco friendly people

dvshrt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dvshrt

I own one of these - An older style but basically the same thing. I bought it hoping to be able to run my furnace less and save some coin. Wrong! This thing is a power hog. From my calculations it costs about as much to run as a window AC unit. And, like an AC unit it really should be on a circuit by itself with good wiring. I live in an older house and it used to pop breakers quite regularly. I used it for a few months 3 or 4 years back, and after dealing with the breaker issues and getting several higher than normal electric bills, I have since relegated it to my basement workshop. I now use it maybe 5 or 6 times a year for a few hours just to take the chill off.

manniecream

quality posts: 0 Private Messages manniecream

Power
BTU 5118 BTU
Power 800 - 1500 Watts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vornado-Vortex-VH2-Whole-Room-Portable-Space-Heater-EH1-0020-01-/300772671700?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460772c0d4

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
gullsnest wrote:The wattage has been posted earlier in this very discussion. As with almost all electric space heaters: 800(750)/1500

This is correct and is mandated by law. All the rest is how the maker gets the heat out to the room, aesthetics and noise.

[BTW, those infra-red boxes appear to be a fad and way overpriced for light bulbs in a box.]

I've used oil-filled heaters and there is no fan and that means that dust and fur doesn't get blown around.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dburroughs01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dburroughs01

750 watts on low, 1500 watts on high

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac

Well ya got the right idea by offering heat when we're having colder weather...kudos on that. However, I agree with everyone else about the lack of product info. With your poor image lately, you can't afford gaffs like this.

phoenixobert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phoenixobert

I found it here, it says it has a 5122 BTU/hr max output

http://www.compactappliance.com/Vornado-Vortex-Heater-EH1-0015-04/EH1-0015-04,default,pd.html?mtcpromotion=bing%3EAir_Quality%3EHeaters%3EEH1%3E0015-04&src=SHOPDISCOUNT

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
SonOfBender wrote:Further mixed reviews:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=10607485

4.1 stars with over 20 reviews is mixed......LOL no matter what these days even if these where given away free you wold still get a few people to complain or get a bad one.

I bought 2 of the black ones last Black Friday directly from Vernado and paid around the same price. They work well for what they are. The heat that comes out of them is not hot enough to burn you but they seem to get the job done.....heating my 12 x 14 bedroom in about 30 minutes.

StriderTB

quality posts: 2 Private Messages StriderTB

Keep in mind that this, and every plug in 120v heater is maxed out at the same 5100BTU. It's the maximum that you can wring out of a standard electrical socket. This heater puts out the same heat that one of those goofy Amish fireplaces does, and as much as a cheapie utility milk house style heater.

gpartain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gpartain

I used what appears to be the same model - but in black - for a good number of years to warm my bathroom (about 12x6) in the mornings. It worked great, and auto-adjusted the fan speed and wattage as the set temperature was reached. I can't say if the quality is the same since production was moved out of country (*sigh*), but I loved mine. The electronics finally gave out last year, so I'm in for one of these.

As far as noise, at high speed it sounds about like a small fan (as you might guess), but at low it's very quiet. You shouldn't have a problem with plugging it into any standard outlet, but I wouldn't run a blow dryer and this heater on the same circuit unless you want to go reset the breaker.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

No dedicated circuit... but don't plan to run a hair dryer or toaster oven on the same circuit while the fan is operating.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Dear Woot:
A lot of us won't buy anything without knowing the model number of what we are buying. The write up still has not been updated. Have somebody at the Warehouse put down their coffee, climb a ladder or stand on a forklift arm, and find out the model number of what you are trying to sell.

williamruiz11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages williamruiz11

What is the Wattage consumption

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

I own or have bought 4 or 5 of these heaters from Vornado, of all different models. They are great. Some were for gifts and one for work space.

They do not have the coils in the front that heat up to where you could toast marshmallows. It gently blows the heat out into the whole room and warms it up gradually. Again, not an "instant" heat in one small space.

They are very safe, you don't have to worry about pets or children getting near them or bumping into them. It is plastic, but that means it is very light weight. If you leave it on by accident-and go to work-you'll probably be OK. I know from experience.

The company is out of Kansas-I know because I've called to have warranty and non-warranty work done. I had a 10+ year old Vornado fan repaired last month, and when you call you always speak to someone there. My fan was repaired for about $20 and sent back to me. It was not a replacement unit from China.

For those who want a metal body, they do have one. I own one of those too, because it has a remote and a timer. It is significantly heavier and I assume it is on their website or Amazon.

I recommend this-but you have to realize it is a different design and technology than the space heaters you are used to. So it can't be judged like the typical heater.

mikeclemmons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeclemmons
SuperNinja wrote:The world needs to be colder, not hotter. Ban all heaters. Put an air conditioner on it instead.

Air conditioners do not make the world colder. Their net effect is to produce heat. They transfer heat from your room to the outside. The work required to do that produces additional heat.

kimberlynicole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimberlynicole

Can the heat setting be disabled allowing the unit to be used as a regular air circulating fan?