3%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mariomario42

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mariomario42

Is it bad that I'm considering this for my bike, one that I ride to college classes every day on? It'll look sweet when I have early/late classes in the winter time.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mariomario42 wrote:Is it bad that I'm considering this for my bike, one that I ride to college classes every day on? It'll look sweet when I have early/late classes in the winter time.

Heck no. I think they're pretty darn cool myself. I wish I had someone I could buy them for.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

five3zero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages five3zero
ThunderThighs wrote:Heck no. I think they're pretty darn cool myself. I wish I had someone I could buy them for.

Not bad! Just the rear is $20.95 + shipping on Amazon.

HERE

dougmc2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dougmc2

Would I be correct in assuming that the wheel lights are only visible from one side of your bike?

They're obviously poor-man's versions of the Monkey lights and Hokey Spokes which is fine -- but if they're only visible from one side, I think that's just a little too much "poor man's" for me.

Another option would be this -- not nearly as fancy, but at least it's visible from both sides and a good deal cheaper.

Of course, it also comes with some EL wire, which is nice, but that's not hard to find cheap either.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

I've never been hit by a car, so I don't know how much that hurts.

But I have been hit by one of those tractors they use to push airplanes around at the airport and that hurt a lot.

jennytoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jennytoo

I'm in for three - these look amazingly crappy. ;) I have a pair of monkeylectrics and they're definitely nicer than these. The EL wire is actually almost enough to make this worth it alone, though - at around $1/foot plus a driver. (I've generally paid $1.20/foot, and my drivers are $6-8 for short-length ones)

The flasher looks like it might be fun, the EL is usable for whatever (although it's just blue) and I'm hoping I can tear the writer apart and put a different board in it (say, RGB LEDs instead of just amber)

So, yeah, it's pretty crappy, but still looks to be worth it. ;)

popmaster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages popmaster

these serve absolutely no practical purpose, unless you consider looking freaking awesome and alerting other to your location a purpose... :P

adnandin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adnandin

Good for lighting up your bike for Burning Man

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja

They should make a version that lets you program it through usb, so you can put all the cuss words and stick figure pr0n that you want on it.

ejbilynsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejbilynsky

Are these indeed only visible from one side of the wheel?

ijustride

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ijustride
ejbilynsky wrote:Are these indeed only visible from one side of the wheel?

Yes, unfortunately.
http://www.meonbikefx.com/support/ second video down.

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
ThunderThighs wrote:Heck no. I think they're pretty darn cool myself. I wish I had someone I could buy them for.

Feel free to say you had me, and then you could buy them for me

ejbilynsky

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ejbilynsky
ijustride wrote:Yes, unfortunately.

Thank you! Is there anything double sided? I'm guessing Monkey Lights?

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua
ejbilynsky wrote:Are these indeed only visible from one side of the wheel?

ijustride wrote:Yes, unfortunately.

you could buy more that one set, or have the front and rear facing different directions I would think...

jennytoo

dougmc2 wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that the wheel lights are only visible from one side of your bike?

An unboxing video indicate the wheel writer is one sided. I suspect the gyro flasher is as well, but can't find any info with a quick search.

Fine for me, I want one-sided lights for the front wheels on my trike, so I don't blind myself. ;)

jennytoo

ejbilynsky wrote:Thank you! Is there anything double sided? I'm guessing Monkey Lights?

Monkeylectrics are. If you want to do it yourself, SpokePOV are, but they're monocoloured. There are a couple other brands that make these but I don't know if they are.

pkrzyz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pkrzyz
bookofjoshua wrote:you could buy more that one set, or have the front and rear facing different directions I would think...

Buy, 2 sets, put them 180 degrees apart, one facing one way, while the other would be facing the opposite side. You would need to install 2 magnets, one for each side. But they probably wouldn't exactly be in sync on each side, but someone looking at it from one side, wouldn't see the other side.
This is only my speculation from looking at the video. I don't own one of these yet. (Eagerly awaiting my 3 to get to my door).

psaux

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psaux
jennytoo wrote:I'm in for three - these look amazingly crappy. ;) I have a pair of monkeylectrics and they're definitely nicer than these. The EL wire is actually almost enough to make this worth it alone, though - at around $1/foot plus a driver. (I've generally paid $1.20/foot, and my drivers are $6-8 for short-length ones)

The flasher looks like it might be fun, the EL is usable for whatever (although it's just blue) and I'm hoping I can tear the writer apart and put a different board in it (say, RGB LEDs instead of just amber)

Not to be crass in asking, but are yours the $2K version? I'm having serious gadget lust over that.

jennytoo

psaux wrote:Not to be crass in asking, but are yours the $2K version? I'm having serious gadget lust over that.

No, the $75 versions (Actually, the precursor - m133s) They are crazy bright, too. I always had them on the dim mode, and if I was biking on a dark trail, they lit both sides of me up. They're not replacement for head/taillights, but they do make you a ton more visible. Awesome lights, I just wish they were customizable.

jc007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jc007

Is there a Speed Limit on these? I'm thinking Motorbike use!

-JC

If I Agreed With you, Then we would BOTH be wrong

stratosspawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stratosspawn
jennytoo wrote:I'm in for three - these look amazingly crappy. ;) I have a pair of monkeylectrics and they're definitely nicer than these. The EL wire is actually almost enough to make this worth it alone, though - at around $1/foot plus a driver. (I've generally paid $1.20/foot, and my drivers are $6-8 for short-length ones)

Which MonkeyLectrics do you have, jennytoo? I really like the pro model, but they restrict them to commercial sales only... :-(

skatewabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skatewabbit

I'm interested if there's a speed limit too, can I zip tie these to my car wheels? And more importantly, can woot stop me from trying?

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
pkrzyz wrote:Buy, 2 sets, put them 180 degrees apart, one facing one way, while the other would be facing the opposite side.

May not work for the text, being single sided the other side will be spinning the other way. If they don't let you reverse the text pattern, you're out of luck..

agnosticmayhem

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agnosticmayhem

I want these for my motorcycle. Will they work?

v3xed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages v3xed

I don't know where your buying your EL wire. But if you dont mind the older kind. you can get a ~7' run with a driver and shipping for about 5$ on ebay

longlocks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages longlocks
CuzzinMerl wrote:I've never been hit by a car, so I don't know how much that hurts.

But I have been hit by one of those tractors they use to push airplanes around at the airport and that hurt a lot.

Heh! I almost got run over by a taxiing plane when I worked at Atlantic Aviation. They used part of the parking lot as an area to turn planes around. I was freezing and buried in my jacket as I was walking into work. I looked up just in time to get out of the way of a Gulfstream headed right for me that I didn't even know was there until it was 20' away. I didn't do that again.

longlocks

quality posts: 3 Private Messages longlocks

I'm actually trying to figure out if I can somehow use these for doing light painting photography. I know I can use the EL wire, but the rest I'm not sure about. Do you need them to spin to work, or could I mount these on just about anything so I can use a slow shutter to light paint with 'em if I'm the one making them move?

Senshi

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Senshi
mariomario42 wrote:Is it bad that I'm considering this for my bike, one that I ride to college classes every day on? It'll look sweet when I have early/late classes in the winter time.

I also want this for my bike.

ejbilynsky wrote:Thank you! Is there anything double sided? I'm guessing Monkey Lights?

Yea Monkey Lights are double-sided.

I think the only thing stopping me from buying these is the fact that they aren't double-sided. I could get 2 and put them on opposite sides of one wheel.

pico111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pico111

When it says "lasts 15-20 hours", does it mean on one set of batteries, or you have to throw it away after that long?

jsh139

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jsh139

Off My Gangplank!, the write-up is freaking awesome. Is it wrong that I actually thought, "This will surely make my kids love me more than they love my Ex-Beast-From-The-Deep?" ;)

Insert signature here.

noimportantone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noimportantone

This looks totally dangerous.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

My son has the single version of this on his bike. It works pretty well, but as others have mentioned, it's one sided. You can do 2-sided on the fronts, but the gears might get in the way on the rears. The lights are synched via a magnet pickup, so the picture won't rotate.

move along

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bnbsouthworth
jsh139 wrote:Off My Gangplank!, the write-up is freaking awesome. ;)

Agreed! I am planning to send it to my brother, but will have to make an edit and stick an "E" on 'breath'.

"Must be an awful strain having to breath in oxygen"

[MOD: Whoopsie. I wonder how many pairs of eyes missed that. I know mine did on preview of the sale. Reported. Thanks!]

kelemvor

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kelemvor

Some reviews online say that you need to put 2 or 3 of these on the same tire, spaced out, to get the full effect. Otherwise it doesn't look near like what the advertisement pictures do. Watch the Youtube video and see that a single one doesn't spin fast enough to make it look like a real picture unless you have teeny tiny tires that spin crazy fast.

ozmom2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ozmom2

So if I were buying this as a holiday gift for three kids-
do I buy one triple pack OR
three boxes?

In other words, does the triple pack contain enough of the necessities to trick out three bikes?

drakono

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drakono
pkrzyz wrote:Buy, 2 sets, put them 180 degrees apart, one facing one way, while the other would be facing the opposite side. You would need to install 2 magnets, one for each side. But they probably wouldn't exactly be in sync on each side, but someone looking at it from one side, wouldn't see the other side.
This is only my speculation from looking at the video. I don't own one of these yet. (Eagerly awaiting my 3 to get to my door).

I'm guessing that these things use the magnet to determine when they've made a full loop, and also as a level line. In which case, the one you put on the right side of the bike will sync its image to be upside down.

brodockj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brodockj

Do we still get 2 for 1 on Tuesdays?

avery1488

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avery1488

How easily could these get stolen?

jtwigg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtwigg

Heck no - I'm over 50 and work at college. I'm thinking of getting a set for my recumbent trike.