drakono

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drakono
avery1488 wrote:How easily could these get stolen?

Looks like all you (well, not *you*, right? ;) would need is a screwdriver. Maybe scissors to get the magnet, too.

marceepauff

quality posts: 15 Private Messages marceepauff

No one answered about the motorcycle... Would these work?

Nikoli2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Nikoli2000

I'm in for 2. Specifically for "light painting" photography. The 'writer' would require a special contraption so the the magnet could be mounted properly for image syncing, so maybe that will just HAVE to go on my bike.

But $15 for the flasher and the light wire still isn't too bad.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 583 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

brodockj wrote:Do we still get 2 for 1 on Tuesdays?

Sure! Just choose "2" in the Quantity drop down.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

ozmom2 wrote:So if I were buying this as a holiday gift for three kids-
do I buy one triple pack OR
three boxes?

In other words, does the triple pack contain enough of the necessities to trick out three bikes?

In the box:

(1) Meon 876724 Wheel Writer Light Up Bike FX Triple Pack includes:

• Bike FX Wheel Writer with Frame Magnet & 4 Zip Ties
• Bike FX Light Striper with 10 Mounting Brackets, 20 Elastic Bands and (2) AA Batteries
• Bike FX Gyro Flasher with 2 Zip Ties

You get those three things with one order. It's up to you as to whether you want to split those three items across 3 bikes.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

TiHara

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TiHara

In for three, I have a recumbent trike with a cargo trailer for my 3 pups. So I have 5 wheels that I could light up with only one of them visible from both sides. My outfit already has a lot of lights, but you can never be too safe riding in Fl.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
kelemvor wrote:Some reviews online say that you need to put 2 or 3 of these on the same tire, spaced out, to get the full effect. Otherwise it doesn't look near like what the advertisement pictures do. Watch the Youtube video and see that a single one doesn't spin fast enough to make it look like a real picture unless you have teeny tiny tires that spin crazy fast.

Not true. We have the single, and it works just fine.

ozmom2 wrote:So if I were buying this as a holiday gift for three kids-
do I buy one triple pack OR
three boxes?

In other words, does the triple pack contain enough of the necessities to trick out three bikes?

You should buy 3 kits.

eta:

marceepauff wrote:No one answered about the motorcycle... Would these work?

If you can mount the magnet, I'm sure they would work up to a point. Likely front tire only?

move along

grimor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages grimor

What's the top speed these will display?

Woots: 121 Items: 236-2 Last Woot: 05/07/2012 Woot Wage: $4,559.41

unicyclegranny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unicyclegranny
ThunderThighs wrote:Sure! Just choose "2" in the Quantity drop down.

Forgive my ignorance but I wasn't aware of the "two for Tuesday's." If I put 4 in the quantity will it work as buy two get two free?

ThunderThighs

Staff

unicyclegranny wrote:Forgive my ignorance but I wasn't aware of the "two for Tuesday's." If I put 4 in the quantity will it work as buy two get two free?

No, sorry. Two For Tuesdays was a thing we did a long time ago. The other poster is still lamenting its demise.

No free ones.

FORUM MODERATOR

drakono

marceepauff wrote:No one answered about the motorcycle... Would these work?

I think you were asking about top speed, right? Only the product engineers (or someone who tried it) would know. It all depends on how quickly it can process revolutions. There's an email address on the product website.

Lamoteen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lamoteen

Really wanted to like this kit I bought at Costco but the pieces you add to the wheel are VERY heavy & bulky....MUCH more so than simple reflectors. In spite of me really bending my spokes tightening them, they'd still fly off at high speeds & bumps.
You have to spin [sic] some time getting speedo or pix "level" so that's a challenge. While cool, not sure how much good the speedo function is if Rider cannot see it.

Bogie21

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Bogie21

El wire (electroluminescent wire) alone for a 6' section costs between $8 and $20 depending on the colors. It's not widely dispersed in the US, so that increase the difficulty to find and price. It's great for adding flair to costumes, parties, house decorations and all out fun!

If you ever plan on attending Burning Man, these are the lights for you. El Wire is highly necessary to fully immerse yourself into the night life. The Spoke lights are great for being seen in the dark so you don't get run into by art cars. Price is great, and buy 3!

searbet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages searbet
pico111 wrote:When it says "lasts 15-20 hours", does it mean on one set of batteries, or you have to throw it away after that long?

Bump. Anyone know the answer to this? I'm hinging my purchase on it.
Thanks!

jennytoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jennytoo
pico111 wrote:When it says "lasts 15-20 hours", does it mean on one set of batteries, or you have to throw it away after that long?

searbet wrote:Bump. Anyone know the answer to this? I'm hinging my purchase on it.

That's only for the batteries, and each piece has its own power.

They're LED and EL wire based. They'll last for thousands of hours (the EL Wire will get dimmer, though)

jennytoo

jtwigg wrote:Heck no - I'm over 50 and work at college. I'm thinking of getting a set for my recumbent trike.

TiHara wrote:In for three, I have a recumbent trike with a cargo trailer for my 3 pups. So I have 5 wheels that I could light up with only one of them visible from both sides. My outfit already has a lot of lights, but you can never be too safe riding in Fl.

Let's hear it for the recumbent trikes - that's where I want to use mine. Three == good. Only wish the EL was red, but I have red elsewhere.

Bogie21 wrote:If you ever plan on attending Burning Man, these are the lights for you. El Wire is highly necessary to fully immerse yourself into the night life. The Spoke lights are great for being seen in the dark so you don't get run into by art cars. Price is great, and buy 3!

I saw these at burn this year, thought the setup looked kinda nice even though they're low-end.

v3xed wrote:I don't know where your buying your EL wire. But if you dont mind the older kind. you can get a ~7' run with a driver and shipping for about 5$ on ebay

http://elwirepros.com and http://www.coolneon.com/ - perhaps not the cheapest, but cheaper than a lot of premade stuff you might find, and especially I've been happy with cool neon's quality; their drivers seem more robust (I've destroyed a couple of elwirepros drivers) though I'm sure it's the same technology.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind

I wonder just how resistant "Water-resistant" is. I.e. if you ride, or leave a bike parked in actual rain (and not just a little sprinkle or hitting a small puddle) will the device be ruined? Or could it perhaps even handle being submerged in a few feet of water?

Urband

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Urband

Can I put this on my Motor-Sicle, or will they just fly off and injure a pedestrian?

wheaty

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wheaty

Any reason this wouldn't work on a unicycle?

royphil345

quality posts: 1 Private Messages royphil345
Urband wrote:Can I put this on my Motor-Sicle, or will they just fly off and injure a pedestrian?

I would tend to think you'd have plastic junk and batteries flying everywhere at 60MPH. If it did work, you'd get a ticket about every 5 minutes until you decided to remove them.

Polly12200

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Polly12200
noimportantone wrote:This looks totally dangerous.

Actually, I'm considering getting this for my kid as a safety item as much as anything else. Depending on the angle between a car and rider, a bike can be frighteningly invisible at night. Anything that lights it up is good.

danciui

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danciui

Does this turn on automatically when you start pedaling or does it have an on/off switch?

favresux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages favresux
jc007 wrote:Is there a Speed Limit on these? I'm thinking Motorbike use!

I wouldn't suggest it the electric writer on your motorbike. Many people don't read fast. LOL.

jennytoo

wheaty wrote:Any reason this wouldn't work on a unicycle?

It'd work fine on a unicycle, but probably not look that interesting unless you ride >12 or so MPH, and bigger wheels require riding faster for the same visual result. It also depends on the distance of your spokes as to whether or not it fits.

These would definitely work best on smaller wheels like 20", especially as they look fairly small.

kmartind

quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
royphil345 wrote:I would tend to think you'd have plastic junk and batteries flying everywhere at 60MPH. If it did work, you'd get a ticket about every 5 minutes until you decided to remove them.

I think laws vary from state to state, but that would likely be the case in states that ban all "decorative" lighting on vehicles (e.g. California).
In some states you might be able to get away with wheel lights if they're amber colored, and as such, could perhaps be considered a form of "marker lights."

christianirc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages christianirc

Would this work on a wheelchair or would the spinning be to slow for any kind of interesting effect?

ericmschultz69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ericmschultz69

I bought this for my kids at costco and they used them camping. They are awesome! I just ordered 3 more as x-mas gifts! Please note, they only fit a 20in tire or larger. My 6yr olds bike has 16in tire and could not use the wheel writer but we put the LED rope light on this bike and he can use the wheel writer piece on his new bike next year. I always worried about the kids riding there bikes at night in the campgroud but now everyone can see them coming from a mile away!

gjames

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gjames
jennytoo wrote:It'd work fine on a unicycle, but probably not look that interesting unless you ride >12 or so MPH, and bigger wheels require riding faster for the same visual result. It also depends on the distance of your spokes as to whether or not it fits.

These would definitely work best on smaller wheels like 20", especially as they look fairly small.

So probably not a good match for a pennyfarthing bike?

The Atomic Generator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages The Atomic Generator
SuperNinja wrote:They should make a version that lets you program it through usb, so you can put all the cuss words and stick figure pr0n that you want on it.

^^ i am so all about that

722lad

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 722lad

My web search on this and similar products is that these emit a high-pitched sound when on (possibly more annoying to younger ears and animals that can still hear a "20 kHz tone"). So keep that in mind, esp. when you consider other applications (e.g., using the EL wire for Halloween costumes).

drakono

722lad wrote:My web search on this and similar products is that these emit a high-pitched sound when on (possibly more annoying to younger ears and animals that can still hear a "20 kHz tone"). So keep that in mind, esp. when you consider other applications (e.g., using the EL wire for Halloween costumes).

Yes. From the product's support page:

" The Light Striper Makes a High Pitched Noise

This is normal to power the electroluminescent wire."

czfljo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages czfljo

Just bought a set for my son's wheelchair! Can't beat the price, I'm sure I can rig it somehow!

bmfap

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bmfap

In for 3. These will be perfect for the kids bikes riding around the campground in the evening.

psywiped

quality posts: 2 Private Messages psywiped

Oh this is perfect for my Link C7 in for 3

jasryel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jasryel

3 sets on the way, and, with the lap desks from Kid.Woot (yay, free shipping deal!), I am done Xmas shopping! Nice thing about S. TX: they can ride their flashy bikes Christmas day. :-)

skgbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skgbob

In for a set to mount on my ceiling fan so I can be hypnotized to sleep under a cool breeze every night.

eburgian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eburgian

Got these for my son at Costco last year.

We put the gyro flasher on the front, visible from the right side and the wheel writer on the back, visible from the left side. The light striper only worked for a few minutes, tried tweaking where it connects to the battery pack, with no luck. I might buy another set just to give it a try. We have the most fun as he cruises in tight circles in a cul-de-sac as we call out the speed pictured on the wheel writer. The controls are funky. You need to remember the number of times you pressed the buttons or just go for a random pattern.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial
SuperNinja wrote:They should make a version that lets you program it through usb, so you can put all the cuss words and stick figure pr0n that you want on it.

You are a true visionary! I salute you, sir.

potatochobit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages potatochobit

be careful kids, don't get pulled over by the police for having blue lights on your vehicle. j/k

citizennnn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citizennnn
danciui wrote:Does this turn on automatically when you start pedaling or does it have an on/off switch?

Yeah. ^ that ?? Anyone know?