shawniscoolerthanyou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shawniscoolerthanyou

Cool.

jaferson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaferson

Will this work on my sweet 1985 Suzuki FA50?

Barrel of Cowpokes
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

Cook74

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cook74

In for two. Christmas is coming up fast... My grandson (10) is going to love this stuff...

Doug;}

anasqtiesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anasqtiesh
popmaster wrote:these serve absolutely no practical purpose, unless you consider looking freaking awesome and alerting other to your location a purpose... :P

It's generally good practice to alert 2-ton block of moving metal to your location when riding a bike at night. Quite practical really.

1bigmike1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1bigmike1
jaferson wrote:Will this work on my sweet 1985 Suzuki FA50?

Heck...I wanna put some on my Harley.

citizennnn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages citizennnn

Does this turn on automatically when you start pedaling or does it have an on/off switch?

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 32 Private Messages skispeakeasy

Right on Woot! I'm gonna make this into some art.

Done and done! ;)

mwarrenus

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mwarrenus
citizennnn wrote:Does this turn on automatically when you start pedaling or does it have an on/off switch?

All three devices (Wheel Writer, Gyro Flasher, and Light Striper) have on-off switches. The Wheel Writer also requires you to to be riding at least 10 MPH before it lights up. More details in Fuze's installation instructions.

MotoRider420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MotoRider420

Will this work on a motorcycle?

What speed is it good up to?

jennytoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jennytoo
jaferson wrote:Will this work on my sweet 1985 Suzuki FA50?

Well, maybe if you get off and push it really fast?

tweezak

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweezak

I sure hope this woman is getting some royalties from this. She created the "persistence of vision" bike wheel gizmo many years ago before any commercial versions existed. Even if she doesn't get money she should get props...check out her site:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

joechristi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joechristi
christianirc wrote:Would this work on a wheelchair or would the spinning be to slow for any kind of interesting effect?

Best post of the day! I almost fell out of my chair laughing as I pictured it!

carpedave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carpedave

I am buying one for my son's trumpet or as it shall now be known: "The TRONpet"

ohuigin818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohuigin818

One last quick question before this thread joins the others in the ether of discussions past...

So I appears that the wheel writer has some sort of toggle for what mode, or picture will be displayed. Does anyone know if this is true for the gyro, or is it just going to cycle (no pun intended) through all the colors on repeat. I'd love to be able to keep one color scheme as opposed to a loop.

Thanks!

You can disregard the above...I really don't know what I'm talking about.

addsnakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages addsnakes
wheaty wrote:Any reason this wouldn't work on a unicycle?

only if you go fast enough.

Ride on brotha'

rolefourlife

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rolefourlife
citizennnn wrote:Yeah. ^ that ?? Anyone know?

both front and back tire (also the EL rope) have on/off buttons. For the Wheel Writer, you'll need to hold the OK button for 3 seconds to turn off.

rolefourlife

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rolefourlife

Anyone figure out a way to always display the speed on the Wheel Writer? So far, I can only get that to flash real quick when it's cycling through all of the images.

UPDATE: I got an email from the manufacture that made me feel dumb.
Just leave the Wheel Writer in Mode 3 and it'll display the speed all the time.

jennytoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jennytoo

Just got my kit, and some thoughts/comments:

The posting said it needed 6 AAA batteries, not included, and 2 AA batteries, included. That was a typo. They are most explicitly not included as well.

Of my three kits, I've pulled out all the EL wire 'Light Striper' to test. One of the three has a short and depending on how I move the EL wire it turns off. This is a common problem with EL wire as the corona wires are separated from the core wire by a very small phosphorous coating, and it's both a) easy to short them, and b) easy to break them. The former makes the strip go off, the latter makes the strip only work until the break.

It's easy enough to fix both - you trim the EL wire down and solder on a new connection, but it does take some practice due to the size of the corona wires.

The mounting of the inverter seems very sturdy and is much nicer than other bike-mount EL kits I've seen, and I love how the clips are designed for holding the EL on; attaching EL is always a bit of a challenge.

As for the rest... I tested one gyro flasher (turned on and waved around) and it seemed to work fine. It's fairly simple and heavy, but it'll do the job. I'd suggest putting a second one, or perhaps the writer, on the opposite side of the wheel for balance.

And the writer? I immediately took one of them apart to see how the insides were done and take lots of measurements, as I want to replace the circuit board with one that does RGB. ;) I didn't even put the batteries in to see if it worked. That said, I might... I have two more for now.

ps: Of the three EL inverters, the hum on one of the good strips was insanely loud. All EL inverters make a high-pitched hum; it's due to how they're made and to make them silent is more expensive - but it varies a lot.

pps: all of this has gaskets to help minimize water incursion, and where the EL enters also has silicon sealant. It should hold up to puddles and rain just fine, depending on how well the gaskets are seated (... mine, not so much, but that's due to me taking them apart ;)

smittyhotep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smittyhotep

What a piece of Gaaar, Peter!. It would not stay on, I tried three different sets of brand new batteries, I read the instructions like six time, garbage. Our relationship ended violently when the device failed me on an inky black darkass ride to work. The device kept turnng itself off for no reason despite BRAND NEW BATTERIES so I rode home that evening and beat it to pieces with a hatchet I bought from woot earlier in the year. I only used/beat to death the multi function piece, I'll let you know if I have to destroy the rest of the kit. WOOT! I don't want anything from you other than you should warn people this is a grotesque piece of crap. I did have fun killing it with hatchet.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

smittyhotep wrote:What a piece of Gaaar, Peter!. It would not stay on, I tried three different sets of brand new batteries, I read the instructions like six time, garbage. Our relationship ended violently when the device failed me on an inky black darkass ride to work. The device kept turnng itself off for no reason despite BRAND NEW BATTERIES so I rode home that evening and beat it to pieces with a hatchet I bought from woot earlier in the year. I only used/beat to death the multi function piece, I'll let you know if I have to destroy the rest of the kit. WOOT! I don't want anything from you other than you should warn people this is a grotesque piece of crap. I did have fun killing it with hatchet.

We're sorry to hear you had a poor experience with your order. We recommend that you contact Fuze Bike FX Support, but seeing as you damaged the unit, they might not be inclined to cover the warranty.

You're also welcome to email us at service@woot.com if you have any further questions or concerns regarding your purchase.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz

Installed writer on back wheel of one grandson's bike and gyro flasher on front wheel of his brother's bike. Gave the long blue thing to our daughter. They all work well and appear to be very well made.

HapHazrd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HapHazrd

In case someone is googling for answers... I got two sets of these for my recumbent trike figuring I would put the wheel writers on the front wheels since there are no obstructions on the outside of the wheels (unlike a bike which has a fork surrounding the wheel). The problem with this is the magnetic sensor which mounts to the frame is not strong enough to operate from the back side of the device. My solution was two part. One, go to Hobby Lobby (or similar place) and get a stack of strong magnets (Hobby Lobby sells a three pack that works pretty good). These magnets (especially all three together) are stronger than the one which comes with the wheel writer. Unfortunately they are not quite strong enough to trigger the device from the back side either. So step two involved taking the device apart and desoldering the sensor (it is the three prong component at the end of the circuit board that looks like a transistor) and then resoldering it to the back side of the circuit board. This moves the sensor closer to the back side and removes the circuit board from between the sensor and the magnet if you mount the magnet on the back side. After all of that and figuring out how to mount my Hobby Lobby magnets in a piece of 1/2 inch PVC mounted to the frame of my trike, I now have wheel writers on the front wheels of my trike and the display is completely unobstructed. Looks good.