thedailycritic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedailycritic
MuddyG wrote:What is Endurium? Isn't that the stuff they wanted to mine in Avatar?

No, they were mining the creatively named Unobtainium...

f5mando

quality posts: 0 Private Messages f5mando

IME: If the cartridge is not the 'through' type (where the blade is supported only from the sides, allowing water to flow betwen the blades and out the back) it is useless for shaving a man's beard bristle.
P&G may not be ethical in their practices, but their blades shave bristle - LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!

dmax801

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dmax801

Old people like me remember the SNL skit where the razor had three blades. "The first one lifts the beard, the second one lifts it even higher, and the third one cuts it off.

Because you'll believe anything."

rolede

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rolede
rolede wrote:Some Censorship Going on Here

Early last night on someone "Crazy..." said to just buy the Merkur + 100 Blades.
I checked Merkur on Amazon, liked what I read and chose that instead.
I returned to this site and thanked "Crazy..."
This morning I noticed his post vanished as well as my reply, but still some posts remain referencing his comment on the Merkur-one asking which model he preferred/recommended.

I chose the model 180 Long Handle for people with large hands $32.50 and Product Image
100 Feather Razor Blades NEW Hi-stainless Double Edge $33.84

Correction it was "Crash 331" whose advice I took on the Merkur and I agree, both here on Woot as well as the big "A" site, are comments I find most valuable in making purchases. Ofter times the negative comments point to something better instead as was the case this time. I didn't know old type razors were still manufactured and had been searching flea mkts for one. Now I will have a new long handle Merkur arriving in two days thanks to "Crash 331" good advise.

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

>not DE wetshaving

>2012

>ISHYGDDT

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape
thedailycritic wrote:No, they were mining the creatively named Unobtainium...

Wasn't that movie actually titled "Beautifully filmed but utterly formulaic expensive Hollywood summer blockbuster"?

jesseroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jesseroo

After my bf's gillette proglide malfunctioned on his face (one of the "blades" came shooting up on one side, and he ended up cutting himself), we both switched to a safety razor. We also both nick ourselves less since then. I guess I never realized before it happened how these disposable razors with their multi blades, are just thin strips of sharp metal. I always thought of them as more sturdy things. Yeah at first it takes time switching, but you soon realize it's not anymore difficult than a regular disposable one.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 92 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Razor wars are really amazing. How may of you recall the "Razor Band" cartridge that wound fresh blade on with a little winder?

Anyway, I'm in for a set, as I cannot believe how much the high-tech blades cost and how they seem to be inconsistent with how long they last.

I got the Gillette Fusion razor (handle made in Poland!) and the blade lasted a month. The next set I bought ($$$$!) dulled out after two weeks.

It seemed like the blades only lasted longer when used with their shaving products. But I could be wrong.

So, what the heck, I try these.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

furryfloid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages furryfloid
phlypp wrote:These have the blade style pioneered by Gillette (Mach 3, etc.). I hate them. I cut myself about four times more frequently with this type (I'm a guy) and used to go for years without cutting myself. They also don't get certain angles as well, such as under the nose.

I've been using the ridiculous-number-of-blades Schick for a while; they figured out that tacking a piece of wire on the back of the blades acts as a 'stop' and makes it extremely difficult to really dig in and peel yourself. (Still amazed how well that works compared to all the other 'anti-nick' inventions prior.) Then the 5-bladedness actually demonstrates a benefit because they get it all in one or two passes and take 2 or 3 months to dull on me. (They also hinged the top of the cartridge so you can flip the lube strip out of the way and have a chance of getting in around the nose.)

Of course, these cost like a 4 pack of those cartridges on sale. I'm guessing they don't have the 'stop' on the blade, but anyone want to prove me wrong and save me some dough?

DarthVukster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthVukster
tfarley wrote:Are you kidding!? I currently use a Gillette Atra Track II (an old one, I know), and I only get one week worth of shaving from each blade. I can buy the cartridges for $5 for a ten pack, so, ten weeks of shaving.
I have tried other 5 blade systems (Fusion, etc.) blade as well. I still only get one week from each cartridge. I agree with other posters; the 2 or 3 blade system is a much better shave than any 5 blade system I've tried so far.
A year of shaving from 15 cartridges? I just don't believe it!!

I get at least a month out of my shavers, no matter which brand. It likely depends upon how much you shave (I have a goatee so not my whole face), how often you shave (I am only a M-W-F shaver), how thick or rough your beard is (mine is fairly rough/thick), and how much discomfort you are willing to put up with (I find that as they age, my razors still shave close, they just tend to "pull" at your beard more before cutting). I see myself easily getting a year out of 15 cartridges. Others may only get 15 weeks.

9/26/2012 Remington King of Shaves Kit
6/26/2012 Battery Charger with 8 Batteries
6/26/2012 Waterproof Footballs 2-Pack
11/28/2011 TomTom XXL 550 5-Inch GPS with IQ Routes & Premium Maps
4/24/2011 Panasonic 12MP Digital Camera with Leica 12x Optical Zoom & HD Video
4/12/2011 Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter – 2 Pack
4/7/2011 Garmin nüvi 4.3" GPS with Speech Recognition and Lane Assist
3/1/2011 Intec Wii Nunchuk Controller Twin Pack – Black
2/11/2011 Wii Controller with Wave Remote and Nunchuk Controller
12/2/2010 Zyclone Zing Ring Blaster
10/19/2010 Koss Custom Fit Noise Isolating Earbuds – 2 Pack
10/1/2010 Sandisk Sansa Fuze 4GB Media Player
9/17/2008 JVC MiniDV Camcorder with 34x Optical Zoom and Dual Recording
6/24/2008 Starbrite Hi-Gloss 4×6 Photo Paper 20 Sheets – 5 Pack
1/22/2008 Sandisk 512MB MP3 Player with FM Tuner - 2 Pack

bfloxng69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bfloxng69

Worst razor ever. Bought it on sale at Walgreens a year ago. Used it twice. Takes twice as much time as a normal razor. Poor engineering all around. Complete junk.

zkentvt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkentvt
yoshamano wrote:While on the subject of razor comedy. One of my favorite The Onion articles http://onion.com/bW36oe I used the shortened link because the original link starts off with some salty language. I'm not sure how well F-bombs fly over here, lol.

I love the Onion. They print the stuff we all think but are afraid to say it.

janda259

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janda259

Charging Tax now? And On Shipping? Since when does Shipping Razors Cost $24 for Two-Day Shipping? Whats going on with woot?

mrbill3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrbill3
jigsaw918 wrote:can anyone tell me if this razor has a sideburn trimmer? The single blade on top of a razor that makes it easy to keep my sideburns straight.

Nope. No side-burn trimmer, but I have been using this razor for about a month now and it's the best and it's still pretty easy to keep my sideburns straight.

IronDave

quality posts: 3 Private Messages IronDave

I have used King of Shaves Azors for several years, starting with the 4-blade predecessor to this one. They have seemed longer-lasting than other blades I have used, which I surmise is because they stay cleaner if you also use the King of Shaves gel (which I really recommend). I think the 4-blade ones are easier to keep clean, but I actually did a trial on my face (4-blades on one side, 5-blades on the other) and the semi-scientific result is that they both provide a clean shave. This amounts to a great price on razor blades.

Iron Dave

eddythebug

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddythebug

King of shaves my foot. Get a safety razor. One blade = awesome shave.

mrbill3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrbill3
janda259 wrote:Charging Tax now? And On Shipping? Since when does Shipping Razors Cost $24 for Two-Day Shipping? Whats going on with woot?

Unfortunately for some of us, WOOT is owned by Amazon.com and they now are forced by to start charging sales tax in several states. Read here: http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-amazon-collecting-ca-sales-tax-20120915,0,6668499.story

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 539 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

janda259 wrote:Charging Tax now? And On Shipping? Since when does Shipping Razors Cost $24 for Two-Day Shipping? Whats going on with woot?

Sales tax is always charged on shipping.

What state?

Effective September 1, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in Kentucky and Pennsylvania.

Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

Two-day shipping costs? Those flying monkeys ain't cheap.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

joeman1890

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joeman1890

Like a few others have said here, I'm a safety razor convert. I buy top of the line razors for 30 cents a piece (and am probably overpaying by 10 cents) and each one lasts me a week. I have 2 years worth of razors that take up as much space as a bar of soap. While I haven't eliminated nicks I have eliminated some nasty patches of razor burn.

Never again will I go back to cartridge razors.

janda259

quality posts: 0 Private Messages janda259
ThunderThighs wrote:Sales tax is always charged on shipping.

What state?

Effective September 1, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in Kentucky and Pennsylvania.

Effective September 15, 2012, Woot, Inc. was required to begin collecting sales tax on orders shipped to destinations in California.

Two-day shipping costs? Those flying monkeys ain't cheap.

Well that does suck!
Now the shipping doesnt make sense though, 1 set 2 day shipping is $8 now 3 sets 2 day shipping is $24 as if you were shipping them individually packaged? which you end up not doing, its shipped in 1 box but charged as if you were purchasing 3 individually. Now if it was something fair like 1st set $8 + Additional items $2-$4 that would make a little more sense.

+Used to love the Buy 3 Sets of anything and pay only $5 now i like the faster shipping!

karrock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karrock

I shave my head most of the year with Gillette's Fusion ProGlide without a problem but they're too damned expensive! Not too difficult to keep clean in the shower or under running tap water.

Face is strictly electric. Manual blades burn and nick me much too often.

Tried Schick's Hydro but it's awful in comparison. Clogs up between the blades and just doesn't shave as well.

Taking in all the reviews, I'm sold.

In for 3!

ThunderThighs

Staff

All hail, ye of clean shaven skin...

Behold, there be people that wish to discuss the razor that we are selling here today on this very site. They wish to discuss it in this very thread.

It's kinda hard to sift through all the posts for everyone's favorite razor to get to the posts about this one.

I sense that razors are a passionate subject for many of you. That's cool. Deals.Woot is a great place to post deals for your fav, discuss your fav, ask others for their favs.

Thanks and don't hate the mod.

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

eddythebug wrote:...shaves my foot.

ewww.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

clintiv

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clintiv
CubBuc wrote:I wanna hear more about the mountains near the pink parts !

I keep a decorative coffee cup with 1/4" of mineral oil in the bathroom. I deposit my used razor in that cup after I use it; the mineral oil works wonders for the life of ANY razor.

What KIND of mineral oil? There are tons! Tea Trea Oil, Jojoba Oil, etc.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages jmbunkin
ThunderThighs wrote:Usually I agree but the comments and links to other sites in this sale were outnumbering the comments about this razor. I want people to be able to find the info on this sale too... even the negative comments.

Sounds reasonable to me

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
Slydon wrote:Those are not cuts in any way. Just pre-existing facial issues under my beard. I didn't get a single cut anywhere while using this razor.

Nice job on the video !

bloodgain

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bloodgain
theguruguys wrote:I switched to a safety razor a couple of years ago, it provides a closer shave and the blades are extremely inexpensive, I'll never go back... except when I travel, at which time a kit like this would be handy.

When you travel, take a couple of Bic Sensitive disposables. They're single blade, with space behind the blade to avoid clumping. You have to press a little more than you would with your safety razor, but they're remarkably good for disposables. I used these before I got my Merkur. Cheaper than this deal for better stuff.

craigthom wrote:Some of us aren't fully functional in the morning and don't want to worry about always keeping the razor straight or at the right angle. I have enough things to pay attention to.

I'm glad safety razors work for so many of you, but don't assume that what works for you will work for everyone. Spread the gospel if the urge is overpowering, but don't presume to tell me what I should do.

They really aren't any harder to use after the first few times, and the razor does the work. You don't have to press down like you do with cartridges. And funny, they used to work for everyone -- you know, until 1971 when Gillette realized they weren't making a killing on blades any more.

Anyway, the point is that this isn't much of a deal. There are better shavers out there for the same or less money. That's my piece.

Slydon

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

gusvonpooch wrote:Nice job on the video !

Thank you! Also amusing: after the filming I was walking down the hall, still in the vest, carrying a little washtub full of hair shavings, and I ran into a building security guy who looked like he wanted to put me in prison on the spot.

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

mikea81678

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikea81678

Anyone try this to shave their head? I am always looking for a better shave but so far the best I've found is the old school 3 blade.

Wynterwynd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Wynterwynd

There's a little black spot on my scalp today...

(That's my mole up there)

It's now twice as smooth as yesterday...

(That's my mole up there)

barrytice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages barrytice
Fendar wrote:Would you prefer a walrus or your next door neighbor?

Uh, what? Would I prefer the testing be done on a walrus or my neighbor?

I guess that depends on which neighbor. If you pick the one behind me who clearcut about 65 square meters of my property's wilderness area as a place to dump their grass clippings, I'd likely be all for it.

craig616

quality posts: 5 Private Messages craig616

Watching the video real actual field tests from woot, looks to me like he cut his face a lot?
Probably not too good then

Sorry Scott they used you as a guinea pig.

ThunderThighs

Staff

craig616 wrote:Watching the video real actual field tests from woot, looks to me like he cut his face a lot?
Probably not too good then

Sorry Scott they used you as a guinea pig.

He addressed this earlier....

Slydon wrote:Those are not cuts in any way. Just pre-existing facial issues under my beard. I didn't get a single cut anywhere while using this razor.

shushine999

quality posts: 15 Private Messages shushine999
thomas998 wrote:Mountains near the pink parts? You mean chicks that shave their chest, yuck.

Would you rather we didn't? That is, if we needed to??
HYPOTHETICALLY, of course......

GESoss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GESoss
gordhad wrote:In the box:
(1) Remington 5-Blade Razor with 3 Replacement Cartridges
(1 x 3 = 3)
(2) 5-Blade Replacement Cartridges 6-Pack
(2 x 6 = 12)

12 + 3 = 15

So, this comes with 15 replacement cartridges? Am I reading this right? Are the product images just trying to fool me into thinking there are 5 x 5 = 25 cartridges? What's with those 3 holders with only 2 cartridges in them?

Look at the picture, the do your math again... There's only 15 blades, even in the pictures...

gwbaker

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gwbaker

I am debating on pulling the trigger now, but here is some advise that will save EVERYONE some dough...

I heard this on a radio show... Cutting hair is NOT what dulls razor blades. It is the corrosion from sitting on the sink wet waiting to dry. If you will hit your blade with a hair dryer you will find that they last LOTS longer. The most I have gotten out of my Gillette Fusion 4 bladers is about 6 months on one cartridge (THATS RIGHT 6 MONTHS). I have a very sensitive face so others could go longer. The radio host claimed to have made it 16 months on a single blade throw away.

IT WORKS PEEPS!!!

Old Chinese Guy Say: Man who stand on toilet, high on pot.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

For those interested in going the double-edge safety razor* route, I recommend the Merkur 38 HD, aka the barber pole. As for blades, get a sample pack from any number of online sellers and pick out the blades you like the best.

And for the record, the best cartridge razor ever made was the Gillette Sensor Excel. It's a shame it's not around anymore (or very hard to find).

* Technically, cartridge razors are safety razors too. The term 'safety' was added to emphasize that stops were in place such that you could not deeply cut yourself like you could with a straight razor.

DarthVukster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthVukster
gwbaker wrote:I heard this on a radio show... Cutting hair is NOT what dulls razor blades. It is the corrosion from sitting on the sink wet waiting to dry. If you will hit your blade with a hair dryer you will find that they last LOTS longer.

Ummm...I keep my razor in the shower...and I was always told not to use a hair dryer in the shower.

9/26/2012 Remington King of Shaves Kit
6/26/2012 Battery Charger with 8 Batteries
6/26/2012 Waterproof Footballs 2-Pack
11/28/2011 TomTom XXL 550 5-Inch GPS with IQ Routes & Premium Maps
4/24/2011 Panasonic 12MP Digital Camera with Leica 12x Optical Zoom & HD Video
4/12/2011 Topsy Turvy Upside Down Tomato Planter – 2 Pack
4/7/2011 Garmin nüvi 4.3" GPS with Speech Recognition and Lane Assist
3/1/2011 Intec Wii Nunchuk Controller Twin Pack – Black
2/11/2011 Wii Controller with Wave Remote and Nunchuk Controller
12/2/2010 Zyclone Zing Ring Blaster
10/19/2010 Koss Custom Fit Noise Isolating Earbuds – 2 Pack
10/1/2010 Sandisk Sansa Fuze 4GB Media Player
9/17/2008 JVC MiniDV Camcorder with 34x Optical Zoom and Dual Recording
6/24/2008 Starbrite Hi-Gloss 4×6 Photo Paper 20 Sheets – 5 Pack
1/22/2008 Sandisk 512MB MP3 Player with FM Tuner - 2 Pack

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

DarthVukster wrote:Ummm...I keep my razor in the shower...and I was always told not to use a hair dryer in the shower.

they're really more suited for use in the bathtub.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

justin42

quality posts: 14 Private Messages justin42

I tried these out a year or two ago when Amazon offered them somewhat cheap and was really disappointed. They lasted significantly less time than my Fusion and never produced as good of a shave even when brand new. I can go months on a Fusion blade, these I was changing nearly weekly.

I'm tempted because this is so cheap but I remember just really looking forward to being done with my King of Shaves set from Amazon so I could justify biting the bullet and paying the insane Fusion refill costs...