eandtee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eandtee

I too picked up this razor from Amazon a while back, and am still using it. I went through an adjustment period since the head of the cartridge flexes in a different way than razors I'd used previously.

Sometimes I put my index finger behind the cartridge to support it. I've had no problem with nicks, cuts, etc. It's even effective trimming my sideburns, again with my finger supporting the back of the cartridge. I'd been using Gilette Mach 3 cartridges (with the vibrating handle) for some time.

I can't say this Remington system is better than the Gilette, but it works fine for me, and at this price is hard for me to ignore.

lenny7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lenny7

These razors are horrible. The flexible cartridge holder make it feel like you're shaving with mittens on...you just have no control over angle or pressure.

I ended up throwing my razor and remaining cartridges away and started using a double edge razor.

You can get an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor for $35, a shaving brush for $10 and those will last for years. For consumables you can find Astra Super Platinum blades for $10 per 100 blades and each blade should be good for 3 shaves, then go to Bath & Bodyworks to pick up some C.O. Bigelow shaving cream or to The Body Shop to pick up some Maca Root Shaving Cream for $10 for a tube that will last you 3 months.

If you wanted to go cheaper you can buy some Van Der Hagen shaving soap at Target or Walgreens for $3 or so and that will last you 3 to 4 months.

The best part is, not only will you be shaving for much, much less, you'll be getting a much better shave and enjoying it more. With cartridges I'd only shave twice a week because I had to. With the double edge razor system I'm shaving every day because I want to. I actually hate it when I miss a day.

There are also several shaving forums, such as Badger & Blade, that will gladly help you when you're just starting out and have questions.

Dump the expensive cartridges and shave like a man!

ikisat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ikisat
5 Blades????

You have to be kidding. I am sure someone somewhere in some Marketing dept. at Remington can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that five blades are really better than 4, which is better than 3, which is better than 2. Whoa, stop there! Okay, so for years it was the single blade, then someone came up with a really innovative idea - Two blades! They caught on! Now everyone has a two blade option. It seems that no one uses the three blades, the four blades and the five blades. (which might just explain why they are here on Woot! Sorry, if the benefits were that great you would see a whole lot more of folks buying at the very least the three bladed blades. I didn't even know about these five bladed ones and I can't imagine them being really worth it at any price. Oh by the way... and all my amplifiers go to eleven.

Mach 5 Fusion is the #1 selling razor in the world by a huge margin, it's only competition is the previous versions of the Mach 5's and the Mach 3... No other razors even comes close in sales.

zarchasmpgmr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zarchasmpgmr
IronDave wrote:I have used King of Shaves Azors for several years, starting with the 4-blade predecessor to this one. They have seemed longer-lasting than other blades I have used, which I surmise is because they stay cleaner if you also use the King of Shaves gel (which I really recommend). I think the 4-blade ones are easier to keep clean, but I actually did a trial on my face (4-blades on one side, 5-blades on the other) and the semi-scientific result is that they both provide a clean shave. This amounts to a great price on razor blades.

I'm sorry that they haven't caught on here in the States. I bought one during a UK trip when my disposable broke, and I've never gone back. You don't know what y'all are missing by sticking with The Big 2.

In for 3.

Kickin' it old school as a system tools developer for IBM mainframes.

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

OK, I can reluctantly agree to tax on the item (yeah, it is the law), BUT, TAX ON THE SHIPPING?!? How is that legal? Tis crazy!

Wow - Online shopping just became something I won't do anymore!

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Argh! I JUST bought replacement cartridges last night. Box of 8 cartridges for $19.95 shipped. Gillette Fusion Proglide. I really want to buy this as well just to stock up, but those 8 Proglide cartridges will last me 8 months easy. (Shaving semi-daily. I sometimes skip it on my days off work.)

I also have friends trying to switch me to the DE 3-piece safety razor setup. I've contemplated it. But the money saved isn't all that much IMO. Word is Astra blades aren't anything special. And the price between them and, say, Feathers ($10/100 vs $20/50) certainly raises some eyebrows. Gotta wonder why they're 1/4 the price of other higher-end blades. But the main point is that, yes you do save some money, but it's a small amount stretched over a long period of time. $15 saved over an entire year isn't enough for me to switch from the convenience, performance and speed of the Proglide. (also note I have no problems shaving against the grain with the Proglide. Something not done with DE razors.)

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
DarthVukster wrote:Ummm...I keep my razor in the shower...and I was always told not to use a hair dryer in the shower.

In your case, we'll make an exception.

krakinboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krakinboy

In for three. Heck, for the price I'll give it a try. If I don't like it, HEY I've still got two unopened to use for Chinese gift exchanges. ( No offence intended towards the Chinese, Thats just what they've always been called)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 503 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scubalab wrote:OK, I can reluctantly agree to tax on the item (yeah, it is the law), BUT, TAX ON THE SHIPPING?!? How is that legal? Tis crazy!

Wow - Online shopping just became something I won't do anymore!

Not sure what state you're referring to but I bet if you google your state and "sales tax on shipping", you'll find your answer.

I agree it seems weird but it's that way in most states, I think.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl

Is the handle long enough to reach my back?

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages skispeakeasy

I'll stick with my electric Remington. Razor blades are rash city...

Done and done! ;)

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

With two blades, each blade has to cut 1/2 as much as one. With 5, 1/5. For the same amount of plastic. It saves time and provides a better shave. I use a 6 razor. I have been using the same head for 18 months. No joke.

showcaller wrote:5 Blades????

You have to be kidding. I am sure someone somewhere in some Marketing dept. at Remington can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that five blades are really better than 4, which is better than 3, which is better than 2. Whoa, stop there! Okay, so for years it was the single blade, then someone came up with a really innovative idea - Two blades! They caught on! Now everyone has a two blade option. It seems that no one uses the three blades, the four blades and the five blades. (which might just explain why they are here on Woot! Sorry, if the benefits were that great you would see a whole lot more of folks buying at the very least the three bladed blades. I didn't even know about these five bladed ones and I can't imagine them being really worth it at any price. Oh by the way... and all my amplifiers go to eleven.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Forget this.

Go with the Dorco 6 blade system.

Cheap - only a buck a head replacement. Super high quality, fast clean shaves. 5 bucks for the base, a buck a head after that.

I bought a 12 pack in Korea for $14 three years ago. I am on the 2nd head. These things just last forver if you wash them.

So, for $14, I bought a 20 year supply. Beat that, woot.

cappo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages cappo
MuddyG wrote:What is Endurium? Isn't that the stuff they wanted to mine in Avatar?

That was the oh-so-creatively named Unobtainium.

Endurium (in an old 80's PC game called Starflight) was a crystalline fuel used in Faster-Than-Light engines.

The plot eventually found out that Endurium was actually a crystalline species with an extremely slow metabolism that none of the current major species in the galaxy (all carbon based) recognized as a life-form. Only that it was a substance often found near ruins once built by a long-gone race they called the Ancients.

Little did they know that the Ancients were not extinct, and in fact they had been using the Ancients for fuel all this time. (And the puzzle of why all the stars were going nova in that area of the galaxy was the Ancients method of fighting back.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill

I'm just glad they're new and not used. :-P

davidmcgill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidmcgill
zyodei wrote:
I bought a 12 pack in Korea for $14 three years ago.

Yeah... next time I'm in Korea I'll buy 'em. :/

pooptydoo

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pooptydoo
janda259 wrote:Charging Tax now? And On Shipping? Since when does Shipping Razors Cost $24 for Two-Day Shipping? Whats going on with woot?

tax is tax. and no one has to pay for shipping if they shiver me timbers! to. its good to have choices, though

lenny7

firebirdude wrote:I also have friends trying to switch me to the DE 3-piece safety razor setup. I've contemplated it. But the money saved isn't all that much IMO. Word is Astra blades aren't anything special. And the price between them and, say, Feathers ($10/100 vs $20/50) certainly raises some eyebrows. Gotta wonder why they're 1/4 the price of other higher-end blades. But the main point is that, yes you do save some money, but it's a small amount stretched over a long period of time. $15 saved over an entire year isn't enough for me to switch from the convenience, performance and speed of the Proglide. (also note I have no problems shaving against the grain with the Proglide. Something not done with DE razors.)

Actually the Astra blades are very highly regarded Check the shaving forums and you'll find they're the favorite of many, many people. Personally they're just ok for me, but I'm in the minority. My preference is for the Voskhod blade at $12/100 or Personna Super's at $13/100.

I also have no problem shaving against the grain with DE razors and do it every shave. It's pretty common for DE shavers to do that.

brdavis9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brdavis9
DarkZrobe wrote:

Side note... I really see someone screwing this up and suiciding them self in the bathroom... Sorry in advance.

lol

pooptydoo

Wave The Flag! is with the "shiver me timbers?"

i did not type that lol

lenny7

zyodei wrote:With two blades, each blade has to cut 1/2 as much as one. With 5, 1/5.

Cool! how does each blade know to skip 4 out of 5 whiskers?

c6cole

quality posts: 1 Private Messages c6cole
mrgrogg wrote:I've been hooked on the Gillette Fusion Proglide for a few years. The problem is that the cartridges are ludicrously expensive. A package of 8 cartridges costs about thirty bucks, if you wait for a good deal.

I'm in for three on this. For less than the cost of a single 8-pack of my current cartridges, I'll be getting 45 cartridges plus three handles!

Reviews on Amazon are somewhat mixed, but generally positive. With the price difference I have to give it a chance. And if it sucks, then I'm only out less than the price of 8 of my current cartridges.

Kind of a no-brainer.

I use the fusion pro glides along with the vibrating handle... my girlfriend accidently bouught some Mach 1 glades that didn't fit my viberating handle, so I used with a standard handle... I couldn't stand shaving without the viberator now...

My point, these look like a great deal compared to fusion proglides but I don't know if I can downgrade to a non viberator.....

Wish all razor handles were universally compatible with all razors...

I might buy one set of these just to try it out... maybe i can super glue them to one of my old viberating handles everytome I switch a blade...

gak0090

quality posts: 71 Private Messages gak0090
ThunderThighs wrote:The one advertising another product? Trying to focus the comments on this product. Feel free to post thoughts or experience on this product.

Well that's interesting. Because there are other posts that recommend using:Merkur,Gillette Fusion Proglide to name a couple, but they didn't get deleted? If you read my post, it was specific for those men who go 3 days at a time without shaving (head,face) and need something that won't clog. I was going to buy this until I read a post of someone that had issues with these shavers clogging because the blades are too close together. This might work for people that do a daily shave, I was offering an alternative for people that go 2-3 days between shaves. Actually I had bought some of the razors I mentioned through Amazon interesting enough- here is the link to the ones I bought http://www.amazon.com/SUPER-MAX-DISP-RAZOR-Size/dp/B000GCQDMQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1

well this might get deleted too...

pooptydoo

any new users of this product should leave a review at amazon. thats what i's gonna do

so controversial, these blades

ubermick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ubermick

I'm with Lenny.

As someone who shaves - a lot - and has gone through every shaving "system" I could find, I can honestly say that NOTHING beats a quality badger brush, and a safety razor loaded with a Feather blade. Will take a little bit of getting used to (and I still use a Mach 3 to shave my head) but you pay $25 for a supply of blades that easily last a year.

Also, I have absolutely ZERO issue shaving against the grain with my DE razor, and my whiskers have the consistency of a rusty brillo pad dipped in cement. Still end up with a baby's butt smooth face, tho, with minimal irritation and zero ingrown hairs (which used to plague me when using cartridge razors)

Headparot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Headparot

As a daily head shaver I have found that this razor (and the other 5 blade razors) do a great job on the face, but not so much on the head. Depending on how thick your hair is they clog very easily. You need to rinse them very often to get a good shave. I found they were not worth the effort.

Jw

LouCipherr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LouCipherr
davidmcgill wrote:Yeah... next time I'm in Korea I'll buy 'em. :/

http://www.dorcousa.com/

Thank me later. ;)

mudman2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mudman2007

2 blades in a cartridge is more than enough.Let all the alternative party members in Utah buy them so they are not associated with DimMitt.

jroth420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jroth420
ikisat wrote:Mach 5 Fusion is the #1 selling razor in the world by a huge margin, it's only competition is the previous versions of the Mach 5's and the Mach 3... No other razors even comes close in sales.

I was thinking the same thing. Who the heck shaves with one or two blades anymore? The multiblade razors took over eons ago!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 140 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mudman2007 wrote:2 blades in a cartridge is more than enough.Let all the alternative party members in Utah buy them so they are not associated with DimMitt.

AGHHH BUG!!!

wait...a...sec...

ORDER CANCELLATION: now within 15 mins, click here for more details...
Need Some Help? Hit us up at support@woot.com
Have Any Questions? Check out Woot FAQ
Wanna Hear What's Going on All Things Woot? Swing by Our Blog

Jonathanwk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jonathanwk

I purchased this razor a few months back because it was cheaper than most everything else. The design is strange and it felt awkward in my hand. I found the blades surprisingly difficult to put on. The head of the razor seems wider, and in combination with the design, makes it difficult to get an accurate line. They clogged easily and were dull after a few shaves. My neck was riddled with nicks.

neptuneg23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neptuneg23

LOL, I peed a little. Very good.

bookofjoshua wrote:is that shinny part chrome plastic, or.........Remington Steele?

DickSchmidt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DickSchmidt

I use a Gilette Fusion 5 razor (with the spyglass) and found this guy on YouTube telling how to sharpen your baldes to make them last almost forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

I've been using the same blade for 7 months now every day (heavy beard) and wierd as it looks, it works.

cutlass

McLovin

quality posts: 2 Private Messages McLovin

I hope it doesn't nick my dangly parts... anyone have any experience?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 90 Private Messages radi0j0hn
cutlassSchmidt wrote:I use a Gilette Fusion 5 razor (with the spyglass) and found this guy on YouTube telling how to sharpen your baldes to make them last almost forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

I hope this doesn't involve a pyramid. If you don't know, looks up Cheops Pyramid Razor Blade Sharpener.
I've been using the same blade for 7 months now every day (heavy beard) and wierd as it looks, it works.

cutlass

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

lenny7

ubermick wrote:(and I still use a Mach 3 to shave my head)

Have you tried the Gillette Guard? It's a single blade, open comb, plastic razor with a disposable cartridge. I'm not a head shaver but I've heard from a few who are that say these are excellent for head shaving. Easily found on the bay or at the Italian Barber.

bubamarkus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bubamarkus

How many cartridges are included? The picture shows 15, but it does not match the description.

emontgo1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emontgo1

These were the worst razors I've ever used. The design is very awkward and the razors lasted only a couple of shaves. I have a thick beard but maybe it would work for thin hair.

kayabound

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kayabound

I might actually have bought these if they had been refurbs!

garylehr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages garylehr

Sometimes the more you read the more confused you get,,, Do I believe the "worst blade ever" posts or the seemingly equal number of "best shave" posts? I have issues with tons of ingrown facial hairs causing blemishes, pimples and overall redness, can it be the fault of the Mach 3 Turbos I've been using or is that just coincidental? Would this British potato-slicer-looking thingy be better or worse? Merkur, SE, DE, help!!!

More important, why is "homophil79" okay but "same" I mean "h.o.m.o"... oh never mind!