Poll: Will you get a new iPhone?
  • 6.1% - I have already! 142
  • 11% - I might, when I get around to it. 256
  • 3.1% - I think I should, maybe with my holiday money. 72
  • 2.8% - But I just bought an old-model iPhone last month! 65
  • 19.8% - Probably not. Maybe next version. 460
  • 57.3% - No way. Not if you paid me. 1333
2328 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Jay.

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jay.

I said Probably not...I'm not all that impressed, but if you paid me...sure I'm there!

baqui63

quality posts: 8 Private Messages baqui63

I'd get one if you paid me enough so that it cost me nothing at all.

(I'd then sell it or give it away.) Or mail it to Blendtec to see if it blends.

blandzilla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blandzilla

can't get on board with these new maps. the anti-google crusade's a bit strong and my current iphone will likely be my last.

Soapie0

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Soapie0

Years ago we got a traditional cell phone and then the bill started adding up with strange charges and when we got a charge for $400 in "liquidated damages" that our cell phone company couldn't explain but vehemently insisted we owed we bought out of our contract and vowed never to get into another one. We bought pay-as-you-go Tracfones and have been blissfully happy. Behind the times happy. In four years I have not regretted the decision.

Misty Walker

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Great phone, but I can't stand dealing with AT&T or Verizon and the $100 it costs to get decent service with a reasonable amount of data. Sprint's coverage is so lousy and its LTE so non-existent that it's not even in the running.
So, with AT&T starting to throttle me and my iPhone 4 at 3GB to push me to upgrade to a "4G" phone (they throttle 4G phones at 5GB, apparently), I said the hell with the majors, bought a Samsung GS2 and switched to SimpleMobile, $50/month for unlimited everything on T-Mobile's network.
So far, so good, although I find Android usability sorely lacking. It's really the small details that make all the difference, like the handling of bluetooth accessories, the unpredictable behavior of volume and track skip controls...
Every single feature and app is pretty much on par with what you would find on iOS, but when you put it all together... Android is just not there.
And the AMOLED screen features garish, unnatural colors that I don't particularly care for.
Still, when it comes to the best bang for your buck, this POS Android phone with Simple Mobile blows my iPhone with AT&T out of the water, giving me more at a fraction of the price ($600 savings/year!)
I just wish I had been able to keep my iPhone. Android is serviceable, but you have to be pretty clueless to think it's just as good as iOS.

Xsalvationx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Xsalvationx

If you paid me, I would go and get the samsung galaxy 3.

arrival

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arrival

Work gives me iPhones... so yeah I'll be getting one. I use my iPhones about half as much as my personal android phone.

nucleovega

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nucleovega

lol giving Apple money. no way in hell those greedy asses will ever get a cent off me.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

Best part of living where you work is I never need a cell phone. The only reason I have this old, crappy razor flip phone is having two lines was cheaper than one for us.

That said I would never buy Apple products.

disturbed0ne

quality posts: 9 Private Messages disturbed0ne

I said "not even if you paid me" but it was the only 'no' option. I certainly would if paid enough, but short of profiting from iPhone use I'll stick with my android.

silverisis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverisis

I got a new iPhone but it's the 4S and not the 5. I was upgrading from a BlackBerry Curve and while I love my android tablet but only the iPhone has a glucose meter peripheral, which has the potential to really simplify my diabetes management. Plus, my second gen ipod decided to die a week before the iPhone5 came out. As to why I went with the 4s instead of the 5 can be sumed up in one word, lightening. It really irritated me that given Apple knew that they had plans to so radically change their connection port, they didn't have the courtesy to confirm the rumors so that 3rd parties could have a chance to be ready for the launch. Given the red tape of the FDA, I doubt my new meter wont directly connect to the new port till the iPhone7 comes out. The fact that Sprint pretty much gave me the 4S for free was just a happy suprise.

tapoutnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tapoutnc

This says it all...

http://www.youtube.com/user/samsungmobileusa?v=ZKh68YfQYkE

iPhone brainwash

arow97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arow97

I agree with others - sad there was no middle ground between being interested in the next model and not even being willing to be paid to use the iphone. I'm not much concerned with the gadget it in my pocket as long as it works - I don't need a piece of fruit shining on the back to feel better about myself. But if someone bought it for me (and the plan to go with it) and paid me to use it - like I said, I'm not much concerned with what I have, so, yes, yes I would take your money rather than pay for my own - that's just common sense.

knn7496

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knn7496

Android baby! Samsung Galaxy rocks!

leonbev

quality posts: 10 Private Messages leonbev

I think that we need a "I'll take one if I can get it for free" poll option.

I'm sure that a lot of us here have employers who buy us work phones for after hours support.

daeity

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daeity

Got it just because I hated the AOS updating and being flaky. The 5 isn't all that bad. Granted people complain about the maps, but those of use that either know how to drive or know about maps.google.com shouldn't have a problem. I don't have sprint LTE where I live but I travel a lot so its nice to have.

gooseygoose

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gooseygoose

I would never leave my EVO, I love it!! I have a bad track record with phones but both my EVOs have managed to hold up very well. Even the one that has been out since what, June?, can still trump this newest iphone so not even if you paid me

McGuffy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages McGuffy

Every mention of iPhone brings out the Apple haters. If you don't like the damn phone, don't buy the damn phone, but the people who do are not "brainwashed" or "sheep". Arrogance and ignorance are ugly traits.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime
Jay. wrote:I said Probably not...I'm not all that impressed, but if you paid me...sure I'm there!

disturbed0ne wrote:I said "not even if you paid me" but it was the only 'no' option.

I was torn between these two choices also. I suppose there may be a .00000000000000001% chance someone will pay me to take one which, and that would certainly qualify as "probably not". I would take it in that case. However, "no" is my truthful answer, so I went with the only "no" choice of "not even if you paid me".

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
McGuffy wrote:Every mention of iPhone brings out the Apple haters. If you don't like the damn phone, don't buy the damn phone, but the people who do are not "brainwashed" or "sheep". Arrogance and ignorance are ugly traits.

Haters gonna hate, but to the question, I'm likely to wait. (Current phone works fine.)

I'm just hanging out, really.

compunaut

quality posts: 2 Private Messages compunaut
Lord John Whorfin wrote:Great phone, but I can't stand dealing with AT&T or Verizon and the $100 it costs to get decent service with a reasonable amount of data. Sprint's coverage is so lousy and its LTE so non-existent that it's not even in the running.
So, with AT&T starting to throttle me and my iPhone 4 at 3GB to push me to upgrade to a "4G" phone (they throttle 4G phones at 5GB, apparently), I said the hell with the majors, bought a Samsung GS2 and switched to SimpleMobile, $50/month for unlimited everything on T-Mobile's network.
So far, so good, although I find Android usability sorely lacking. It's really the small details that make all the difference, like the handling of bluetooth accessories, the unpredictable behavior of volume and track skip controls...
Every single feature and app is pretty much on par with what you would find on iOS, but when you put it all together... Android is just not there.
And the AMOLED screen features garish, unnatural colors that I don't particularly care for.
Still, when it comes to the best bang for your buck, this POS Android phone with Simple Mobile blows my iPhone with AT&T out of the water, giving me more at a fraction of the price ($600 savings/year!)
I just wish I had been able to keep my iPhone. Android is serviceable, but you have to be pretty clueless to think it's just as good as iOS.

Any possibility of using your existing iPhone with the recently announced monthly plans from Virgin Mobile & Cricket?

rarson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rarson

The hardware in the iPhone 5 is pretty impressive, and if you're only paying $199 to upgrade, then the price is good for the hardware. The problem is software. iOS stinks compared to Android. If I could get that hardware running Android, I'd buy one. But since it's stuck with iOS, no thank you. Not even if you paid me.

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt

Sure you may hate Apple and the iPhone but you cannot deny that if some accessory is going to be made, it will be made for the iPhone Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Also, you can pin the Google Maps website to the home screen so you can access the maps similar to using an app. It may not be perfect but it is a workaround. Rumor has it there will be a Google Map app coming out around December or January anyways.

rarson

McGuffy wrote:Every mention of iPhone brings out the Apple haters.

That's because there are a lot of reasons to dislike the company. The iPhone 5 has a new, still proprietary jack on it instead of a USB port. As a first-time buyer, I'm basically screwed because I have to buy Apple accessories. I can't use my old car charger because Apple wants me to buy a new one.

That's kind of screwing me over, but what it's really doing is screwing the loyal Apple customers over who've already bought accessories for their old iPhone. The fact that Apple blatantly rips off their loyal customers really makes me think they don't deserve my money.

Then there's also the issue of product engineering. Apple tends to design things more for form than function, and this often leads to problems. The MagSafe adapters that constantly break and occasionally set fire are a great example.

Then there's their draconian desire to control everything you do on your device. You have to jailbreak an iPhone to do stuff that an Android phone can do right out of the box. There's no huge developer community because no one's allowed to touch the OS except Apple, and every app has to go through them. All your music has to go through iTunes (which is a program I extremely dislike).

I also find it highly ironic that Apple sued the company that is currently making their hardware. They sure do love to litigate.

Love them or hate them, I don't really care, but I can only assume people who love them are pretty ignorant because they're paying more to get less (and in spite of all the bad things Apple is known for). Even with the iPhone 5's superior hardware, you're still getting less thanks to the lack of basic features (like a USB port) and draconian software.

rarson

wisenekt wrote:Sure you may hate Apple and the iPhone but you cannot deny that if some accessory is going to be made, it will be made for the iPhone first.

1. I really don't need many accessories beyond a USB cable. Oops, can't use that with the iPhone because it doesn't have a USB port.

2. That's not necessarily true. Android has an entire community of people developing not just apps and roms, but hardware mods and even accessories, too. For instance, on some Android phones it's possible to build an HDMI output cable. Oh, and then there's this.

Edit: It should be noted that the chip inside the cable allows the pins of the ports to be dynamically assigned, reducing the number of pins and allowing the connector to be plugged in upside-down. Still, I feel this is a slap in the face to current and new Apple customers alike, the former because their old accessories no longer work and the latter because the new accessories are even more expensive. The question remains as to why the chip couldn't be built into the phone; no doubt this would raise the cost of the phone, but it would lower the cost of accessories. Obviously there is some financial motivation by Apple to put the chip in the cables.

Rumor has it there will be a Google Map app coming out around December or January anyways.

LOL, once again Apple users wait for things that Android users have already had for a while.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

The only cell phone company that provides good coverage where I live is US Cellular. So, no way would I get an iphone. Plus, I have no desire to have a smart phone.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

I'm happy with my Andriod. I could care less if I had an Iphone.

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

natalieug

quality posts: 11 Private Messages natalieug

I still use my LG flip phone as a phone. Our 2G, 3G, and 3Gs iPhones are just used as iTouches so we don't care what generation apple is up to as long as our apps still work!

kniffin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kniffin

If you paid me double the cost and then I get to sell it after that then sure.

artichoke

quality posts: 0 Private Messages artichoke

I'd definitely take one if you paid me however overall I definitely prefer android over iOS

geverage

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geverage

The moment Apple adds at micro-SD card slot and a removable battery, I'll bite. But then hell will have already frozen over.