0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

voteforme2012

quality posts: 0 Private Messages voteforme2012

I have one of these... it works well for internet browsing... however i would not use it to save the world. It can get slow with that type of work.

The Amazon Reviews are however somewhat different.... Amazon customers seem to like this laptop.

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Asus 15.6" Dual-Core Laptop
$279.99 + $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $18 One-Day Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

xlinder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages xlinder

Don't expect to get much life unplugged with only a 4-cell battery.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Zap Brannagin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zap Brannagin

This is NOT an i7, i5 or i3, its just a dual core pentium. I thought all new intel procs were all i3, i5 or i7.

Guybrush01

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Guybrush01

If you are looking to buy Grandma something she can check "the facebooks" with, or forward you the latest chain mail, while creating her own SUBJECT LINE USING ALL CAPS, this a terrific choice...

...otherwise, um, no.

EDIT: Apparently this is the best thing Kansas has ever seen...

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys

This is a better budget laptop than many of the recent ones that feature AMD E-series processors and sell in this price range.

For basic uses like browsing the web, word, excel, schoolwork etc. it will be fine, probably even a noticeable speed increase if you are updating from a basic laptop from 4+ years ago (this can't be said with some new budget laptops that are as slow as Pentium 4's).

YFZblu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages YFZblu

Nice price point for a solid laptop - The USB 3.0 is nifty, too.

brianlang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianlang

Can I put this SSD in it?

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-SSDNow-120GB-SVP200S3-120G/dp/B006YLTY2O

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

Ewww Gross! A dual core.

parklane64

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parklane64

Grandma wants to facedbook, play games such as farmville, and stay in contact with her cronies.

I seriously considering pulling the trigger......

Don't believe everything you think

biohazardtwo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages biohazardtwo
Zap Brannagin wrote:This is NOT an i7, i5 or i3, its just a dual core pentium. I thought all new intel procs were all i3, i5 or i7.

The "pentiums" intel currently sells are in no way related to the original pentium this is a sandy bridge based cpu released about a year ago. There is simply no comparison between this and the intel atoms/ amd e series cpus typically found at this price point. I spent the better part of the last two years gaming on a laptop with a marginally worse processor. This is an excellent cpu at this price point.

fleebag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fleebag

Ugh... another 15.6" screen with only 1366x768? This is the Jitterbug of laptop screens.

Oh well. At least it's not a 17" screen at 1366x768.

qwerty82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwerty82

Hey all - I've really been wanting another laptop, preferably under $300 and this seems to be a nice fit for me. I'm not a gamer. I don't do much on my laptops but surf, watch DVDs, word processing, some you-tubing, stuff like that. Nothing too hefty but I'd like to be able to do multiple of these at one time which my old laptops aren't so great at that anymore. I've been watching for a USB 3.0 and this is the first one I've seen in my price range but the fact that there is only that and one 2.0 kind of makes me hesitant. I'm clueless about screens as well, I'd just like something that looks good for watching movies... Edit - the 15.6 " is the biggest that fits in my bag so I do like that.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good option for me or should I keep watching for something else?

Thanks!!

nairb101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nairb101

Got the same computer from NewEgg, same price, free shipping, added 4 Gig RAM, it still stinks. Don't bite here.

peterthealeut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterthealeut
qwerty82 wrote:Hey all - I've really been wanting another laptop, preferably under $300 and this seems to be a nice fit for me. I'm not a gamer. I don't do much on my laptops but surf, watch DVDs, word processing, some you-tubing, stuff like that. Nothing too hefty but I'd like to be able to do multiple of these at one time which my old laptops aren't so great at that anymore. I've been watching for a USB 3.0 and this is the first one I've seen in my price range but the fact that there is only that and one 2.0 kind of makes me hesitant. I'm clueless about screens as well, I'd just like something that looks good for watching movies... Edit - the 15.6 " is the biggest that fits in my bag so I do like that.

What do you guys think? Does this sound like a good option for me or should I keep watching for something else?

Thanks!!

As for USBs, you could always pick up a hub pretty affordably.

nitnoob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nitnoob
nairb101 wrote:Got the same computer from NewEgg, same price, free shipping, added 4 Gig RAM, it still stinks. Don't bite here.

For $279 why exactly does it "stink?" Does it not perform basic functionality? Because at that price point that's about all I'd expect it to he able to do, not play Battlefield 3.

w4ffles

quality posts: 9 Private Messages w4ffles
pupyluvr wrote:Ewww Gross! A dual core.

I hope you know that most of the mobile i3's, i5's, and i7's are dual cores with hyper threading enabled.

hancydan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hancydan
nitnoob wrote:For $279 why exactly does it "stink?" Does it not perform basic functionality? Because at that price point that's about all I'd expect it to he able to do, not play Battlefield 3.

It doesn't sink. For the price, you can't even get a half decent touchpad or a good netbook. For the money, it is well worth it. Just put in a $100 ssd drive, and see it flies...

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr
w4ffles wrote:I hope you know that most of the mobile i3's, i5's, and i7's are dual cores with hyper threading enabled.

Yes, I have an i7 dualie and it's nice but it's no quaddie. For under $300 shipped this is probably a very nice computer but if you throw another $200 on the fire and shop around you probably could have something a lot nicer.

dipdac

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dipdac

I have an ASUS laptop and I love EXCEPT for the fact that my USB 3.0 has never worked. Ever. Not since I took it out of the box.

It currently just powers a cooling fan

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
fleebag wrote:Ugh... another 15.6" screen with only 1366x768? This is the Jitterbug of laptop screens.

Oh well. At least it's not a 17" screen at 1366x768.

I can understand the feeling. I am on a 15 incher with the same screen resolution. Once you have had 1600 x 900 on a 14 inch screen, this looks so bad.

k87

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k87
pupyluvr wrote:Yes, I have an i7 dualie and it's nice but it's no quaddie. For under $300 shipped this is probably a very nice computer but if you throw another $200 on the fire and shop around you probably could have something a lot nicer.

Intel says mine has four cores

http://ark.intel.com/products/53469

http://i.imgur.com/rCcoz.png

davemays123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davemays123
nairb101 wrote:Got the same computer from NewEgg, same price, free shipping, added 4 Gig RAM, it still stinks. Don't bite here.

I don't see this model on newegg anywhere; there is a similar model 'scratch and dent' for $10 more, but it has an older processor, no usb 3.0, probably other differences.

For those complaining about the resolution, you might as well complain that your ford fiesta has a small back seat. You can't compare this to laptops costing twice as much.

For what it is (a cheap laptop) this is a really good price for decent hardware. Asus has good reputation for reliability as well.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
davemays123 wrote:I don't see this model on newegg anywhere; there is a similar model 'scratch and dent' for $10 more, but it has an older processor, no usb 3.0, probably other differences.

For those complaining about the resolution, you might as well complain that your ford fiesta has a small back seat. You can't compare this to laptops costing twice as much.

For what it is (a cheap laptop) this is a really good price for decent hardware. Asus has good reputation for reliability as well.

Totally agree!
If my spouse hadn't just bought a Dell i3 I would go for one of these. Just call me Grandma I guess but this looks like a very good laptop for the money.

budpayne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages budpayne

Hope you have better luck than me. I bought this last time it ran, I cut the seal, took it out, opened it up and the 9 key across the top was a 6. Took pics, loooong wait on hold for tech and told to box up and send back to Asus, $20 shipping out of my pocket, week later get it back, Asus replaced the keyboard. Open it up, connect direct to router, run the mozillion updates needed. Unhook from the cat 5 ........wireless card doesn't work. That's where I am now. UPDATE- Well isn't my face red, fn / f2 and WOW it's connected!!! It still had a 6 where the 9 was.... but honestly, I'm perfectly happy with the ASUS.

djk21108

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djk21108

I just ordered a laptop just like this from Woot. Mine had a crummier AMD 1.9 GHZ dual-core processor.

When you swap out the HDD for a hyper-fast SSD and toss in another 4GB of RAM, this will be one of the quickest little internet browsers you can get your hands on. It'll impress even your friends with Macbooks, all for under $500.

brianlang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brianlang

Can I put this SSD in it?

djk21108

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djk21108
brianlang wrote:Can I put this SSD in it?

Yes you can! You can put any 2.5 inch SSD in it. There are better deals on newegg.com though, partner.

pizdets

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pizdets

I bought this here when it ran last time. I use it for school, browsing and some light gaming. For these tasks and at this price point, the performance is more than adequate.

To those saying "throw in another $200 and you can have something nicer"--not to say you're being Captain Obvious, but yes, normally paying 70% more for a computer gets you a nicer one. If I had $500 to spend, I would have been looking for different specifications.

Of course throwing in an SSD is a great idea, but another cheaper upgrade with good bang for the buck would be an additional 4GB stick of RAM that you can probably get for around $20 these days, and would give this machine a bit more pep.

Something prospective buyers should know:

This will come with lots of bloatware so you'd be better off with wiping it right off the bat. ASUS will have wiped the recovery partition, so you will need to create a set of your own recovery DVDs to be able to reinstall the Win 7 that comes with it. Mine had a quick start guide in the box that claimed there would be a PDF file on the desktop detailing how to do this, but no such file existed. That being said, it wasn't hard to figure out using the ASUS utility provided.

Other than that, mine came with lots of little flecks of what I will continue to hope and believe was white paint, and that was easily removed with an alcohol pad.

Sweet Jesus, I really hope it was paint.

jmsmits

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmsmits

Haven't Wooted in a while and my 10-year old needs a computer for school, so I'm in for one. I'm trying to switch our household to Apple but that's just not going to happen for $300 (with tax and shipping). I just hope the refurbishing was done by Asus and not by Acme Refurbishing Inc...

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish
pizdets wrote:I bought this here when it ran last time. I use it for school, browsing and some light gaming. For these tasks and at this price point, the performance is more than adequate.

To those saying "throw in another $200 and you can have something nicer"--not to say you're being Captain Obvious, but yes, normally paying 70% more for a computer gets you a nicer one. If I had $500 to spend, I would have been looking for different specifications.

Of course throwing in an SSD is a great idea, but another cheaper upgrade with good bang for the buck would be an additional 4GB stick of RAM that you can probably get for around $20 these days, and would give this machine a bit more pep.

This will come with lots of bloatware so you'd be better off with wiping it right off the bat. ASUS will have wiped the recovery partition, so you will need to create a set of your own recovery DVDs to be able to reinstall the Win 7 that comes with it. Mine had a quick start guide in the box that claimed there would be a PDF file on the desktop detailing how to do this, but no such file existed. That being said, it wasn't hard to figure out using the ASUS utility provided.

Other than that, mine came with lots of little flecks of what I will continue to hope and believe was white paint, and that was easily removed with an alcohol pad.

What software does it come with? Word? Excel? Power point?

And if it wasn't white paint, what do you think it was?

rckwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rckwoot
pizdets wrote:I bought this here when it ran last time. I use it for school, browsing and some light gaming. For these tasks and at this price point, the performance is more than adequate.

There are soooooooo many responses running around my head, but I'm afraid the Woot monitors would not approve. However, I will just quote them from above this little reply box...

Yeah! You Tell `Em

You're not gonna sit there and let that jerkface get away with saying that, are you?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Just want to clear this part up from a couple posts: We haven't sold THIS laptop previously. We've sold other Asus laptops with the same screen size but they've had different processors.

At least, that's what I'm showing.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

flyingdon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyingdon

I would not buy anything from woot they sell stuff with known problems and then if it appears after the 90 day they do nothing.

negriesenauer

quality posts: 11 Private Messages negriesenauer

In for one for my mom. She is currently using an 8 year old desktop. I think she'll be mighty pleased with this.

t2000kw3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages t2000kw3

So that's where Kansas is!

Guybrush01 wrote:EDIT: Apparently this is the best thing Kansas has ever seen...

rhowell1999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rhowell1999

I have had 40 transactions with Woot and have not had a single issue with any item yet

mansheets

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mansheets
t2000kw3 wrote:So that's where Kansas is!

uhh yeah, right where Google fiber was installed! JK, just a little home state pride!