WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Apple 11.6" Dual-Core i5 MacBook Air

Speed to First Woot:
4m 23.006s
First Sucker:
Dru89
Last Wooter to Woot:
falestine08
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 17% of Woot.com Woots
Bottom 44% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 26% of Woot.com Woots
Top 22% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 37% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 26% < 10 woots
  • 14% < 25 woots
  • 12% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 31% joined today
  • 3% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 14% one year old
  • 50% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 91% bought 1
  • 5% bought 2
  • 4% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
2%
3%
1%
1%
2%
3%
5%
7%
9%
5%
5%
6%
6%
4%
4%
5%
4%
3%
3%
6%
4%
5%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


wootalyzer


quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple 11.6" Dual-Core i5 MacBook Air
$759.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

Duallycomp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duallycomp

Nice.

rjsheehy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjsheehy

Does anyone know if this will work with an apple II?

alexclau


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alexclau

Looks like this is last year's model, as the current 11.6" Macbook Air model has USB3 and a 1.7GHz i5 processor.

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak

Will it work with a M...oh wait

k87


quality posts: 3 Private Messages k87
wootalyzer wrote:Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Apple 11.6" Dual-Core i5 MacBook Air
$759.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New



If I get this computer, should I shell out $30 and upgrade to Mountain Lion? What are the costs/benefits of the upgrade? (I don't have in iPhone)

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak
k87 wrote:If I get this computer, should I shell out $30 and upgrade to Mountain Lion? What are the costs/benefits of the upgrade? (I don't have in iPhone)



I would not have upgraded to ML on its .0 release (like they say, never buy .0 of anything), but 10.8.2 has apparently fixed some of the nagging early problems like poor battery life. I'm now looking at finally upgrading my MacBook Pro to it.

As far as what is in the upgrade, here is a very detailed review:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/

LittleTinyMonkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleTinyMonkey

Not bad. I imagine I can live without an Ethernet port.

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69

I was just telling hubby that if Apple comps were easy to use like the iphone i'd love to try one out. Hmmm is this worthwhile or still too much money? love the whole ieasy thing. Lot's of ihaters, i know but maybe they don't understand we, the technotards!

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
LittleTinyMonkey wrote:Not bad. I imagine I can live without an Ethernet port.



See? I have no clue Wave The Flag! an ethernet port is or does!

gephross100


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gephross100

Almost clicked buy but it is a 2gb RAM macbook air, RAM is not upgrade able in the macbook air.

c u

ssgelm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssgelm
k87 wrote:If I get this computer, should I shell out $30 and upgrade to Mountain Lion? What are the costs/benefits of the upgrade? (I don't have in iPhone)



Actually, Mountain Lion is only $20. See http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/os-x-mountain-lion/id537386512?ls=1&mt=12

michaelvella


quality posts: 13 Private Messages michaelvella
nobgobblin69 wrote:See? I have no clue Wave The Flag! an ethernet port is or does!



You've heard of google, I imagine.

room209


quality posts: 6 Private Messages room209

Something something... apple refurb store has same model for less.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
zikzak wrote:I would not have upgraded to ML on its .0 release (like they say, never buy .0 of anything), but 10.8.2 has apparently fixed some of the nagging early problems like poor battery life. I'm now looking at finally upgrading my MacBook Pro to it.

As far as what is in the upgrade, here is a very detailed review:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/os-x-10-8/

I upgraded to Mountain Lion on Day 1 - on the same Macbook Air (mid-2011) that woot is offering today - and have had no problems. I really like Reminders and the voice recognition software, although I dislike that I need to be connected to the internet to use it.

Lots of comments from the first time this was offered, some helpful, some... anti-Apple?

I adore my Macbook Air (mid-2011). It's an absolute dream to carry around - it's hard to understand how light it is until you hold it. I typically get around six hours of battery life with a combination of word processing/internet/stat package (although much less if I'm streaming video), so I rarely need to carry the power cord.

My only complaint is that after using this as my only computer for a year, prior neck problems flared up; the screen really is fairly tiny. This is great for travel and portability, but if you're using this as your only laptop, you might want to get an external monitor and keyboard; I finally did and it's made a huge difference.

Edit: Hey woot, if you're offering a Mickey Air Comb, could you suspend the word filter for M!A!C! for one day?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak

FYI for comparison: This Woot is new, there is a previous gen refurb with twice the RAM and SSD at the Apple refurb site for $10 more. They also have a current gen refurb with similar specs for $10 less.
Apple refurb site

Edit: Hey no fair Woot...your string substitution is subbing out the word "m ac" at the end of a URL, breaking my link!


[MOD: It's fixed now.]

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
michaelvella wrote:You've heard of google, I imagine.



Yes! They have maps! But seeing as I don't know about ethernet chances are pretty good that I don't need one. My response is only because of my previous post about being a technotard. Never mind. I too enjoy snarkism!

teenracer6


quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6
nobgobblin69 wrote:Yes! They have maps! But seeing as I don't know about ethernet chances are pretty good that I don't need one. My response is only because of my previous post about being a technotard. Never mind. I too enjoy snarkism!



Ethernet is used for a wired connection between your modem or router and your computer (or other wired device). It is more reliable than wireless connection, and speeds tend to be better in terms of downloading and uploading. The main downside is being stuck in a certain area around where the cord is and its length.

I personally prefer a wired connection whenever possible, but I am not going to drag an ethernet cord into Starbucks or something.

Interesting article can be found here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/wired-vs-wireless-security-vs-speed/624

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

neuropsychosocial wrote:Edit: Hey woot, if you're offering a Mickey Air Comb, could you suspend the word filter for M!A!C! for one day?


LOL Just realized I forgot to remove it after the Woot-Off. I add a few special ones during those. I'll go remove it now.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
teenracer6 wrote:Ethernet is used for a wired connection between your modem or router and your computer (or other wired device). It is more reliable than wireless connection, and speeds tend to be better in terms of downloading and uploading. The main downside is being stuck in a certain area around where the cord is and its length.

I personally prefer a wired connection whenever possible, but I am not going to drag an ethernet cord into Starbucks or something.

Interesting article can be found here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/wired-vs-wireless-security-vs-speed/624



Thanks for explaining that! As long as it has internet I guess I'm good. I just dabble on non-work things like pogo game sites, facebook. I'm probably good. Don't edit video or anything serious. Just an old house wife. Oh what to do, what to do..

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak

Most people don't need an Ethernet port because wireless is usually faster than your home connection to the Internet.

I use Gigabit Ethernet to move/back up large files between machines on my home & office network. This is many times faster than wireless, and for the large photo/video files I use it is worth it.

The older MacBook Airs use a slow 100Gpbs Ethernet adapter. The current MacBook Airs can now achieve Gigabit Ethernet with the current Thunderbolt port adapter.

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
nobgobblin69 wrote:Thanks for explaining that! As long as it has internet I guess I'm good. I just dabble on non-work things like pogo game sites, facebook. I'm probably good. Don't edit video or anything serious. Just an old house wife. Oh what to do, what to do..



Ok, so you seem kinda nice, I'm going out on a limb here by asking a dumb question. Are you on a Mac? If so can you play games on Pogo? I don't understand the whole "flash" thing.

wesbc


quality posts: 7 Private Messages wesbc

Hmm... only $748.99 from MacMall.

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
nobgobblin69 wrote:Ok, so you seem kinda nice, I'm going out on a limb here by asking a dumb question. Are you on a Mac? If so can you play games on Pogo? I don't understand the whole "flash" thing.


dammit! i asked my ownself a question..

pupyluvr


quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

I played with one at a store and it is a very nice little notebook for everyday things and very portable but I don't think I would want to work on it as a main computer unless I had a 27" display.

teenracer6


quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6
nobgobblin69 wrote:Ok, so you seem kinda nice, I'm going out on a limb here by asking a dumb question. Are you on a Mac? If so can you play games on Pogo? I don't understand the whole "flash" thing.



Yes, you can play Pogo on a Mac, or a PC, so long as you have Java installed. (If you have Java active, make sure you have an antivirus with real time protection. I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials on a PC.) I wouldnt suggest Linux for someone of your PC experience thought. If you are only trying to play Pogo and do Facebook and stuff of the sort, this may be a little overpriced for you, unless you want the Apple as a status symbol.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

showcaller


quality posts: 35 Private Messages showcaller

It's not about the money, something very few seem to understand. The Macs regardless of which model you choose are far more intuitive (therefore "easy") than their PC counterparts. I have yet found anyone who can place a dollar value on "easy". I only know that whenever I have had to use a PC, it is like trying to write with my left hand and I am right handed - it just seems borderline fruitless! That said, much of what is considered "easy" is what one grew up with so if all you know are PC's then there is a good chance you might feel awkward when you get your hands on a Mac. More people stay with a Mac once they try it. The "Air" has gotten really good reviews and is probably the biggest seller now. If you are really serious about this and if there is an Apple store near where you live, you might want to head to it tomorrow morning and look at a couple of the other models, the 13" MacBook Pro stands out. The larger screen might be worth the extra $150 - $200 plus you will have the added benefit of playing with all of the Mac computers for hours on end, asking the Mac folks all the questions you want until both their ears and yours turn blue. If if you don't walk out of the store with a new laptop (or refurbished through the Apple website, or buy this computer online when you are at the Apple store - you will still get a great education on how the Apple side of computing works. Good luck, have fun and happy wooting!

nobgobblin69 wrote:I was just telling hubby that if Apple comps were easy to use like the iphone i'd love to try one out. Hmmm is this worthwhile or still too much money? love the whole ieasy thing. Lot's of ihaters, i know but maybe they don't understand we, the technotards!



Lewiss2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lewiss2

If it was the model with 4 gigs of RAM, I'd bite in a heartbeat. But only 2 gigs and no easy way to upgrade? No thanks.

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak
Lewiss2 wrote:If it was the model with 4 gigs of RAM, I'd bite in a heartbeat. But only 2 gigs and no easy way to upgrade? No thanks.



That's a good point...2GB is very minimal for today's OSs. And no way to upgrade it.

showcaller


quality posts: 35 Private Messages showcaller
zikzak wrote:That's a good point...2GB is very minimal for today's OSs. And no way to upgrade it.



Apple uses ram far more efficiently than PC's so for many the 2 gigs of ram might be fine. Just sayin.

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
teenracer6 wrote:Yes, you can play Pogo on a Mac, or a PC, so long as you have Java installed. (If you have Java active, make sure you have an antivirus with real time protection. I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials on a PC.) I wouldnt suggest Linux for someone of your PC experience thought. If you are only trying to play Pogo and do Facebook and stuff of the sort, this may be a little overpriced for you, unless you want the Apple as a status symbol.



Hope i'm not replying to myself again. But no.. status is useless. nobody cares. it's about ease of use. making it do things it can do w/o me asking... bob??? how do i..
it's why i love my iphone. *I* can do what it can do all by myself and it's a great feeling! People that can figure out all that on their own just don't get people like me that are clueless about techie stuff. It's a lot of money for sure. But it's so much less than the new one i was eyeballing at best buy!

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
showcaller wrote:It's not about the money, something very few seem to understand. The Macs regardless of which model you choose are far more intuitive (therefore "easy") than their PC counterparts. I have yet found anyone who can place a dollar value on "easy". I only know that whenever I have had to use a PC, it is like trying to write with my left hand and I am right handed - it just seems borderline fruitless! That said, much of what is considered "easy" is what one grew up with so if all you know are PC's then there is a good chance you might feel awkward when you get your hands on a Mac. More people stay with a Mac once they try it. The "Air" has gotten really good reviews and is probably the biggest seller now. If you are really serious about this and if there is an Apple store near where you live, you might want to head to it tomorrow morning and look at a couple of the other models, the 13" MacBook Pro stands out. The larger screen might be worth the extra $150 - $200 plus you will have the added benefit of playing with all of the Mac computers for hours on end, asking the Mac folks all the questions you want until both their ears and yours turn blue. If if you don't walk out of the store with a new laptop (or refurbished through the Apple website, or buy this computer online when you are at the Apple store - you will still get a great education on how the Apple side of computing works. Good luck, have fun and happy wooting!



Well thank so much! you get it! that's it! I'm scared to take the plunge. I only know pc. It's very scary. All i know is I had mp3 players before ipods. i could NOT figure them out! I got an ipod and wow!!! it felt so good to know what i was doing.
I had the cell phones. My best was Rzer but I had to ask over and over... how do i get to? how do i make it?
I was first in line in '07! If that phone worked like that ipod, i need one!
Hubby called me nuts. laughed out loud literally.
WE have had every model of iphone since. I got an ipad. he got a diff one.. big name, just can't remember it. He now has an ipad. And that other big name was supposed to be easy as istuff. Guess not..
I think i will sleep on it. maybe it will sell out and i won't have to jump tonite or even debate myself.
Thanks again for speaking to me and letting me know someone "gets" this! It was a xoom zoom grrrr a motorola thing!

zikzak


quality posts: 23 Private Messages zikzak
showcaller wrote:Apple uses ram far more efficiently than PC's so for many the 2 gigs of ram might be fine. Just sayin.



I'm a Mac guy since forever so I know that's at least partially true, but 2GB is still just not that much for 10.7/10.8. Might be OK for a Mac used for mostly email, web, and Facebook.

I will admit that having a fast SSD instead of a hard drive does minimize the delay when the 2GB limit forces virtual memory to swap to disk.

LittleTinyMonkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages LittleTinyMonkey

Good to know.

gephross100 wrote:Almost clicked buy but it is a 2gb RAM macbook air, RAM is not upgrade able in the macbook air.



michaelvella


quality posts: 13 Private Messages michaelvella
showcaller wrote:Apple uses ram far more efficiently than PC's so for many the 2 gigs of ram might be fine. Just sayin.



More than enough for most, especially when combined with the ssd drive. These things boot wicked quick and run great.

teenracer6


quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6
nobgobblin69 wrote:Hope i'm not replying to myself again. But no.. status is useless. nobody cares. it's about ease of use. making it do things it can do w/o me asking... bob??? how do i..
it's why i love my iphone. *I* can do what it can do all by myself and it's a great feeling! People that can figure out all that on their own just don't get people like me that are clueless about techie stuff. It's a lot of money for sure. But it's so much less than the new one i was eyeballing at best buy!



I mean it really depends on what you start with. I will admit that the Mac interface is probably more simple to use for new computer buyers, so maybe a mac is the way to go for you. I grew up with PC's all my life, and I dig into the advanced and such, so Apple is like a 2nd language to me. Try them both out at a retail store (like best buy), and see which interface you like best.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
teenracer6 wrote:I mean it really depends on what you start with. I will admit that the Mac interface is probably more simple to use for new computer buyers, so maybe a mac is the way to go for you. I grew up with PC's all my life, and I dig into the advanced and such, but Apple is like a 2nd language to me. Try them both out at a retail store (like best buy), and see which interface you like best.



That's a great suggestion. I really need to stop being impulsive and think lol

showcaller


quality posts: 35 Private Messages showcaller

I agree! You should sleep on this because frankly it is a decision you are going to have to live with for a couple of years - probably more! If you already own an iPhone I would suggest you are probably more than half way there as far what it is like behind the wheel of any of the Macs. Sometime when you have a half hour head over to an Apple store and just start playing with any of the laptops near the front of the store. They are there for that very purpose - for people to come in and touch them and see what happens. Within moments some guy or girl is going to ask you if you have any questions. You will, even if it is "How do I get this thing to work?" Trust me on this one, you will have more fun than seeing a therapist!

nobgobblin69 wrote:Well thank so much! you get it! that's it! I'm scared to take the plunge. I only know pc. It's very scary. All i know is I had mp3 players before ipods. i could NOT figure them out! I got an ipod and wow!!! it felt so good to know what i was doing.
I had the cell phones. My best was Rzer but I had to ask over and over... how do i get to? how do i make it?
I was first in line in '07! If that phone worked like that ipod, i need one!
Hubby called me nuts. laughed out loud literally.
WE have had every model of iphone since. I got an ipad. he got a diff one.. big name, just can't remember it. He now has an ipad. And that other big name was supposed to be easy as istuff. Guess not..
I think i will sleep on it. maybe it will sell out and i won't have to jump tonite or even debate myself.
Thanks again for speaking to me and letting me know someone "gets" this! It was a xoom zoom grrrr a motorola thing!



nobgobblin69


quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
showcaller wrote:I agree! You should sleep on this because frankly it is a decision you are going to have to live with for a couple of years - probably more! If you already own an iPhone I would suggest you are probably more than half way there as far what it is like behind the wheel of any of the Macs. Sometime when you have a half hour head over to an Apple store and just start playing with any of the laptops near the front of the store. They are there for that very purpose - for people to come in and touch them and see what happens. Within moments some guy or girl is going to ask you if you have any questions. You will, even if it is "How do I get this thing to work?" Trust me on this one, you will have more fun than seeing a therapist!



Can I do the same thing at a Best Buy? Not sure where the nearest Apple store is. I'd love to just play and see how it goes and if I can get comfy in a decent amount of time. If I am comfy, I will start saving up for a better one! May as well go big lol.
Thanks to ALL of you that helped talk me down tonite and gave me enough answers (mainly Pogo answers!) to know that a Mac will do what I need it to do, which isn't much lol THANK YOU, Nob