teenracer6

quality posts: 59 Private Messages teenracer6
nobgobblin69 wrote:Can I do the same thing at a Best Buy? Not sure where the nearest Apple store is. I'd love to just play and see how it goes and if I can get comfy in a decent amount of time. If I am comfy, I will start saving up for a better one! May as well go big lol.
Thanks to ALL of you that helped talk me down tonite and gave me enough answers (mainly Pogo answers!) to know that a Mac will do what I need it to do, which isn't much lol THANK YOU, Nob

Yes, Best Buy has plenty of model PC's and MAC's that you can test out to find the one that is right for you.

ashliz8806 wrote:Going to a Wizards game and being disappointed is like going swimming and getting wet...If you didn't expect it, I'm not sure I trust your judgment.

pierrebuz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pierrebuz

I have a 13" model of this generation. Here are some thoughts:
- You will find 64gb is the biggest drawback of this computer.
- Don't worry too much about the 2gb ram. This thing runs off a SSD (Solid State Drive) which will probably blow the pants off of everything you've ever used (unless you've used a SSD before).
- I punted OSX off and installed Windows 7. Everything works great. (I do sort of miss my delete and pageup/pagedown keys).
- If you need an ethernet port, Apples USB ethernet adapter works great (with windows too).
- this thing is the lightest, thinest computer you've ever seen (but the screen might be a bit small for your tastes)
- battery is great (4+ hours of hard use).
- that being said, all of these features can now be found in the PC "ultrabooks" and you can probably find something faster with a bigger hard drive and screen (but maybe a bit heavier), for the same amount. Personally, I'd save my money and get one of those. I've really grown to love my HP Folio 13" which I got for $800 6 months ago.

michael90048

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michael90048

Can I return the Mac book air if don't like it???
Any knows about the return policy???

Thanks

nobgobblin69

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nobgobblin69
pierrebuz wrote:I have a 13" model of this generation. Here are some thoughts:
- Don't worry too much about the 2gb ram. This thing runs off a SSD (Solid State Drive) which will probably blow the pants off of everything you've ever used (unless you've used a SSD before).
- I punted OSX off and installed Windows 7. Everything works great. (I do sort of miss my delete and pageup/pagedown keys).
- If you need an ethernet port, Apples USB ethernet adapter works great (with windows too).
- this thing is the lightest, thinest computer you've ever seen (but the screen might be a bit small for your tastes)
- that being said, all of these features can now be found in the PC "ultrabooks" and you can probably find something faster with a bigger hard drive and screen (but maybe a bit heavier), for the same amount. Personally, I'd save my money and get one of those. I've really grown to love my HP Folio 13" which I got for $800 6 months ago.

Thanks for the input. I love all you had to say but my concern is ease of use lol. And lightweight is a big factor too! I do have time to check out a bunch tho and Best Buy is on my agenda for the weekend.

jibal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jibal
nobgobblin69 wrote: [Responding to herself] Ok, so you seem kinda nice, I'm going out on a limb here by asking a dumb question. Are you on a Mac? If so can you play games on Pogo? I don't understand the whole "flash" thing.

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen here, and I've seen a lot.

noelcallistus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages noelcallistus

What's the warranty on this one ? Standard one yr?

sigmund06

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigmund06
michael90048 wrote:Can I return the Mac book air if don't like it???

Thanks

Top of the page, under "What is Woot?"

If you buy something you don't end up liking or you have what marketing people call "buyer's remorse," sell it on Craigslist or at a garage sale.

Apple is very good about support, so if it's defective you should be covered.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

noelcallistus wrote:What's the warranty on this one ? Standard one yr?

Yes, this is a new product so it has a one-year Apple warranty. It's noted at the bottom of the Features tab.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

samelnyk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samelnyk
rjsheehy wrote:Does anyone know if this will work with an apple II?

Nope - beginning with 10.7, all OS systems from Apple work only with Intel based systems. The Apple II is based on a Motorola PPC chip, so it will not work. BTW, the Apple II is essentially a dinosaur. There is very little that will work with it now.

Adamcp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Adamcp
samelnyk wrote:Nope - beginning with 10.7, all OS systems from Apple work only with Intel based systems. The Apple II is based on a Motorola PPC chip, so it will not work. BTW, the Apple II is essentially a dinosaur. There is very little that will work with it now.

Um. Bang the side of your sarcasm-ometer. I think yours is on the fritz.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 104 Private Messages charliecarroll
LittleTinyMonkey wrote:Not bad. I imagine I can live without an Ethernet port.

I am a PC guy so I won't be going for this one but even if I were looking for a Mac machine the no ethernet port would be a deal killer without exception. Not long ago I was staying in a Hotel that had wifi and wired broadband. Well, their Wifi went down. I carry a cord with me so plugged in and found that it indeed what their Wifi and not their broad band because I was up and running again. Wifi stayed on the blink all that night and it was late morning the next day before they got it back up and running. I was on line all that time because of an ethernet port on my machine. I can not think of any reason not to have one on any laptop. So again, this would be an absolute deal killer for me.

GhostYorker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GhostYorker

People. Learn what things are and how things work when giving people advice. Don't pretend you know something.

I'm a diehard mac user but I also use Windows and Linux for many different and EQUAL purposes. Regardless of the platform or what specs you'll read on the box, a modern operating system for a personal computer (MacOS, Windows, Linux, whatever) requires atleast 4GB of Ram. Automatically this qualifies this system as a DON'T-Buy.

In regards to the absence of Wired Ethernet.
Wired Ethernet is of course less necessary these days, but Wireless Ethernet (WIFI) is not without it's faults. Wired Ethernet tops out at 1000Gbps while Wireless Ethernet (WIFI) tops out -on spec- at 600Mbps. In real world that number is of course much less because of interference and range. Wired Ethernet doesn't suffer from interference and has no relevant range issues. WIFI N also only "tries" to reach that top speed if all your devices are WIFI N too. Any G or god-forbid B devices throttles your network down to 54Mbps (G's Speed). The point is sometimes you might want that speed. Sometimes you're backing up all your family photos to your desktop computer over your network. It's those times that being able to plug your machine directly into the router to use that huge speed difference really helps.

MacOS is also not virus/malware proof. However. DON'T buy anything from Norton, Symantec, or some other bullsh*t software developer who thinks it can sell something that can protect what is considered already one of the most secure platforms available to the consumer. For virus protection check out http://www.clamxav.com/ . Its free. It's open source. And its been around since before you heard of the iPod.

MAC OS is a fantastic operating system that removes a thesis length of headaches that most Windows users have to face on a regular basis. With the right software you can even run your favorite windows apps.

MacBooks are fantastic PCs but because they're not as upgradable as they once were you really need to make sure you don't buy an underpowered machine.

Don't buy this because its under powered.

Do buy one from Apple or MacMall refurbished with more ram for a bit more.

Do buy AppleCare for ANY major Apple product. Always.

Don't avoid buying a Mac because this model is underpowered.

Don't blame MAC OS for the machine's lack of ram. It would suck running Windows 7/8 or Ubuntu (which it can).

Do Google terms to learn what things are. Empower yourself.

GhostYorker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GhostYorker
charliecarroll wrote:I am a PC guy so I won't be going for this one but even if I were looking for a Mac machine the no ethernet port would be a deal killer without exception. Not long ago I was staying in a Hotel that had wifi and wired broadband. Well, their Wifi went down. I carry a cord with me so plugged in and found that it indeed what their Wifi and not their broad band because I was up and running again. Wifi stayed on the blink all that night and it was late morning the next day before they got it back up and running. I was on line all that time because of an ethernet port on my machine. I can not think of any reason not to have one on any laptop. So again, this would be an absolute deal killer for me.

You can buy a USB Wired Ethernet Adapter from Apple and many other companies.

I use a modem maybe once a year. Doesn't mean it's absence from modern laptops is a deal-breaker.

pupyluvr

quality posts: 49 Private Messages pupyluvr
GhostYorker wrote:You can buy a USB Wired Ethernet Adapter from Apple and many other companies.

I use a modem maybe once a year. Doesn't mean it's absence from modern laptops is a deal-breaker.

Yes... yes it does.
The lack of such a basic part is a DEAL KILLER. While you are busy searching for that USB to Ethernet adapter you swear you brought with you I will be happily surfing away.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

not a gaming machine but if you do want to play diablo it is worth getting the latest model of the macbook air. this one can do it but struggles.

pfffft!

akhill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akhill
michaelvella wrote:You've heard of google, I imagine.

ah yes - aren't they the next ones the makers of this out of date machine are looking to sue?

irqzero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irqzero
GhostYorker wrote:People. Learn what things are and how things work when giving people advice. Don't pretend you know something.

Ok - but only if you do, too. Cuz - reasons:

I'm a diehard mac user but I also use Windows and Linux for many different and EQUAL purposes. Regardless of the platform or what specs you'll read on the box, a modern operating system for a personal computer (MacOS, Windows, Linux, whatever) requires atleast 4GB of Ram. Automatically this qualifies this system as a DON'T-Buy.

S
Snarf - Windows is never equal to Linux or OS/X. It might be equal to MacOS - btw, MacOS refers to the thing that was retired in 2001, or a crunchy Mac flavored cereal.

Also - It says it right there on the Mountain Lion tin - requires 2GB. Linux can be run in as little RAM as you want, depending on the purpose, and provided you know what you're doing. I've built Linux based routers that run with only 64 Megs of ram.

In regards to the absence of Wired Ethernet.
Wired Ethernet is of course less necessary these days,

No it ain't, probably not for most people. Their cable modem or DSL modem does wireless out of the box, and that's the only thing they'll see.

MacOS is also not virus/malware proof. However. DON'T buy anything from Norton, Symantec, or some other bullsh*t software developer who thinks it can sell something that can protect what is considered already one of the most secure platforms available to the consumer. For virus protection check out http://www.clamxav.com/ . Its free. It's open source. And its been around since before you heard of the iPod.

There's that MacOS brand cereal again. I agree on Clam, it's pretty darn good, for something you can download free - runs on Lin, Win, and OS/X.

MAC OS is a fantastic operating system that removes a thesis length of headaches that most Windows users have to face on a regular basis. With the right software you can even run your favorite windows apps.

MacBooks are fantastic PCs but because they're not as upgradable as they once were you really need to make sure you don't buy an underpowered machine.

True, except MacOS was a pretty crappy OS (though mostly easy to use), if we sub in OS/X - yes, it's pretty great.

Don't buy this because its under powered.

Eh - buy this if you do web browsing, word processing, email, and some online games as your only real compute needs. Don't buy this if you're trying to buy high end games, or like, are running virtual machines or anything.

Do buy one from Apple or MacMall refurbished with more ram for a bit more.

Can't argue with this, looks like you can get it for around the same price, and more ram is usually better.

In other news, and in all seriousness, is there no one from the UK who uses Woot? How come no one is giggling uncontrollably about the nickname 'nobgoblin'? I mean, I damn near pee'd myself when I saw that.

dreamdoc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dreamdoc
nobgobblin69 wrote:Well thank so much! you get it! that's it! I'm scared to take the plunge. I only know pc. It's very scary. All i know is I had mp3 players before ipods. i could NOT figure them out! I got an ipod and wow!!! it felt so good to know what i was doing.
I had the cell phones. My best was Rzer but I had to ask over and over... how do i get to? how do i make it?
I was first in line in '07! If that phone worked like that ipod, i need one!
Hubby called me nuts. laughed out loud literally.
WE have had every model of iphone since. I got an ipad. he got a diff one.. big name, just can't remember it. He now has an ipad. And that other big name was supposed to be easy as istuff. Guess not..
I think i will sleep on it. maybe it will sell out and i won't have to jump tonite or even debate myself.
Thanks again for speaking to me and letting me know someone "gets" this! It was a xoom zoom grrrr a motorola thing!

Go for it!

I have the 1st gen and love it. For your needs (as described) you won't need more juice, the Mac is way more efficient (and easier) than a dumb ol' pc.

You'll take it everywhere, it won't get a virus, and it just works!

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

~Jools

sainted

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sainted
nobgobblin69 wrote:Thanks for the input. I love all you had to say but my concern is ease of use lol. And lightweight is a big factor too! I do have time to check out a bunch tho and Best Buy is on my agenda for the weekend.

I'm a long time Mac user, but also very familiar with Windows. Mac's are easier to use and substantially more reliable (both hardware and software).

What's really going to blow you away when you start using a Mac is the integration with your iPhone. You add a new contact on your phone, it shows up instantly on your Mac. You upload pictures from a digital camera to your Mac, and they show up a few minutes later on your iPhone. Put a new item on your calendar on you iPad, it will show up on your Mac and your iPhone.

It's so easy its like magic.

Get a Mac. You won't regret it.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Thanks

No. Buyer's remorse is not supported with this model.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

Jerrycup

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jerrycup
GhostYorker wrote:You can buy a USB Wired Ethernet Adapter from Apple and many other companies.

It would be like saying it's a dealbreaker to buy a pair of shoes if they did not have optional crampons. I cannot remember the last time I connected anything to an ethernet port at home. If you have a fast WiFi link (N router), downloading large files or streaming video is simple.

For some, this is not the laptop to buy, but it performs very well, is easy to use, reliable, and free of the virus concerns using most versions of Windows.

Full specs and good comparisons here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook-air/specs/macbook-air-core-i5-1.6-11-mid-2011-specs.html

I bought the 4 GB RAM 128 GB SSD version last "black Friday" from the Apple Online Store, and it was $1,200, worth every penny.

Most users would be fine with the 2 GB and my 128 GB SSD is still less than half used.

This laptop is pretty small, but it is jewel-like in construction and operation. The Apple installed Safari web browser can zoom in to view a paragraph in any window, helps greatly.

Make note of the fact that MacBook Air does not have any drive. You can buy a very nice external from Apple for $79. Mine has not been used yet. Installation of software (even MS Office) can be done from web links with ease. Wireless links are the present and future.

Generally, this is the neatest little computer you will find. It boots in seconds, wakes from "sleep" almost instantly. I rarely shut it down.

If you want portability this is the ultimate. I can use it on the little seatback tray table in coach with ease. It is light, rugged, and slips into the smallest flap in a briefcase or backpack. When closed, it is the smaller than a manila folder.

I have had five Mac laptops, this is the best by far.

rbdubin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rbdubin

macmall has the same computer for 748.99 and they will upgrade to mountain lion for free and also free shipping. also retailmenot offers an additional $20 off with promo code COUMTNMWB35061. final price 728.99

http://www.macmall.com/p/Apple-MacBook-Air/product~dpno~8815560~pdp.giecbbd

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I have written and sold 1000's of copies of (then) audiobooks called, "What is Windows?" and been reviewed -favorably- internationally in print pubs such as WIRED, London Financial Mail, etc. I've even been a guest speaker at Microsoft. So I am no Windows basher.

While I use Windows boxes every day, I also have a nice, somewhat aging, Intel Imac.

Recently, it failed to boot and putting in the OS disc and trying to "repair" did nothing.

So I had to reinstall the OS.

After installation, virtually EVERYTHING I had was still on the hard drive. With the exception of one printer driver, I did not need to reinstall programs, find copies of back up data, etc.

I have not done a re-install of Windows 7 and am wondering if I would have the same positive result? If not, that alone may justify to me the (much) higher price of Apple units.

Your thoughts?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

3goldens

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 3goldens

AGAIN!

fmastr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fmastr
pupyluvr wrote:Yes... yes it does.
The lack of such a basic part is a DEAL KILLER. While you are busy searching for that USB to Ethernet adapter you swear you brought with you I will be happily surfing away.

there are trade offs to get to a sub 3 lb machine that is this tine - for most an ethernet port port vs diongle they'll use once per year is a very good trade. I travel extensively and use the dongle 2-3 times per year. it's not so hard to keep it in my travel bag .......

aml65

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aml65
samelnyk wrote:The Apple II is based on a Motorola PPC chip, so it will not work. BTW, the Apple II is essentially a dinosaur. There is very little that will work with it now.

Although the original post was a joke ("Does it work with a Mac?" is a running joke that Woot message board commenters add to every thread: cameras, headphones, routers, sleeping bags, razors, etc.) your answer has some flaws as well. Apple II's never used the PowerPC chip. That was a Macintosh thing. The Apple II was an 8 bit computer made in the 1970's and much closer to a Commodore 64 than a Macintosh. Apple then made the Macintosh in the 1980's, switched to the PowerPC chip in the '90s
Yes, a dinosaur, but not a 32 bit dinosaur.

pnewnan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pnewnan

Thanks

Their policy tends to be "In original packaging only" and before opening originally for returns... So... if you determine that you don't like it, before you unwrap it then you can return it. If you're not sold on the laptop, don't buy it. I ended up sending a laptop to my parents because they refused to cancel my order 90 seconds after I bought it and their customer service wouldn't tell me exactly how to return the computer.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller
nobgobblin69 wrote:Can I do the same thing at a Best Buy? Not sure where the nearest Apple store is. I'd love to just play and see how it goes and if I can get comfy in a decent amount of time. If I am comfy, I will start saving up for a better one! May as well go big lol.
Thanks to ALL of you that helped talk me down tonite and gave me enough answers (mainly Pogo answers!) to know that a Mac will do what I need it to do, which isn't much lol THANK YOU, Nob

Yes, you should be able to play to your hearts' content at Best Buy since they usually have two or three computers set up. The only issues at Best Buy are they may not have the exact same models set up or as many models as an Apple store. They all work the same so you will get the feel and understanding of a Mac regardless which ones(s) they have set up. A few of the nuances, advantages and drawbacks have already been addressed here so you can digest all this relative to how you are going to use it. The only real disadvantage of the Best Buy situation is I have no idea what kind of training their sales people have so the answers to any questions you ask to some guy who is trying to deal with four people at the same time could vary depending on how much he really understands the Mac, how adept is he at listening to your questions, how good is he at answering them, and how close is it to his shift being over because he needs to pick up his girlfriend as Springsteen is in town.

roadgecko352

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadgecko352
k87 wrote:If I get this computer, should I shell out $30 and upgrade to Mountain Lion? What are the costs/benefits of the upgrade? (I don't have in iPhone)

It might be eligible for a free upgrade since it is new and not refurbished.
http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
gephross100 wrote:Almost clicked buy but it is a 2gb RAM macbook air, RAM is not upgrade able in the macbook air.

Buy 2 of these. Then you'll have 4 gigs of RAM.

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

Ringo4422

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Ringo4422
showcaller wrote:It's not about the money, something very few seem to understand. The Macs regardless of which model you choose are far more intuitive (therefore "easy") than their PC counterparts. I only know that whenever I have had to use a PC, it is like trying to write with my left hand and I am right handed...

Funny, I feel exactly the same way about using a Mac. I can't figure out how to select where I want MY files to go, etc. Things just go where the almighty Apple wants them to go. Just sayin'

Vizio 32” 720p LCD HDTV (2 of them), Seagate 750GB SATA/300 7200RPM Hard Drive, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual Digital HDTV Tuner, Kodak Theater HD Player, Acer Aspire One 10.1” Netbook, Philips Prestigo 8-Device Universal Remote, Asus Eee PC 900 Netbook with 1.6GHz Atom Processor, Philips Upconverting DVD Player with DivX and HDMI, Ashley Rock Axe Full Size Rockband and Guitar Hero Controller for PS2 and PS3, Philips Icon 5 Device Universal Remote, and a bunch of other carp.

nydoofus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nydoofus
pierrebuz wrote:I have a 13" model of this generation. Here are some thoughts:

As an FYI because it wasn't widely announced, Apple released a Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD463ZM/A/thunderbolt-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

mase123987

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mase123987

I am going to start off saying that I am not a huge fan of OSX and most Apple products. That said, I am going to try and be as helpful as possible still.

People are right in saying that having an SSD will definitely help with the fact it has only 2gb of RAM; and help it needs. My dad has a mac mini with a platter drive and 2gb of RAM and that thing is slow as can be (i3 processor I believe.) Any modern computer (MAC,PC, Linux, whatever) that is intended for a main computer, really needs to have 4gb of RAM. Also, with only having 2gb, the use of a swap file becomes quite necessary. This is not a good thing considering it will prematurely wear it down (though how fast depends on the drive used). Also, with only 64GB SSD, using any of it for anything besides storage is crazy.

64GB SSD doesn't mean much to a non-computer person. Let me put it this way though. If you like to store tons of pictures of children or grandchildren, store music or movies or use lots of different software, you will run out of space very quickly. Upgrading it will be a must to most people at some point.

Also, as some others have said, 11.6" is really pretty small. It isn't very good people who want to use it for long periods of time. Also wouldn't be great for older people with any sort of vision issues.

Those are my three biggest gripes about this computer. I understand people are willing to pay a premium to have a Mac for their ecosystem. But, their comes a point where price just doesn't equal value. Unless you are getting this strictly for the weight factor, you can get so much more for the same price going with a PC. Currently Lenovo laptop I am writing this on cost the same amount of money a year and a half ago. Without getting into specs that lot of WOOT users wouldn't understand (based on comments), my laptop can run circles around this Macbook. I can boot into Windows, have the latest OSX running in VMWare and play a high-end game at the same time. Point is, for what most people would be using this Macbook for, you can buy a much cheaper PC that will do the exactly same things, just as well and just as easily.

Unless you are deeply tied-in to the Apple ecosystem already, it really is hard to recommend spending this much money on that hardware.

For a few comments about PC's and Windows I have read on here:

Windows 7 doesn't crash often or more than Mac. It is a great OS. Generally people mess up their computers by not paying attention to what websites they go to and what software they download. Also, some people go with low quality (or plain crappy) brands/models or PC's and then blame Windows/Microsoft for what are really hardware related issues. Do a little reading before buying.

Macs do have less virus attacks than PC's. It is mainly for one reason: marketshare. Why go after a small fish when Windows is used on most computers in the world including most businesses. As far as what anti-virus to get for Mac, I have no clue.

EDIT - I just realized this didn't have an HDMI port or a vga port. That means you would need to keep an adapter around to plug it in to most monitors or tv's.

showcaller

quality posts: 33 Private Messages showcaller
Ringo4422 wrote:Funny, I feel exactly the same way about using a Mac. I can't figure out how to select where I want MY files to go, etc. Things just go where the almighty Apple wants them to go. Just sayin'

LOL, and I am sure you would enjoy watching me maneuvering around trying to get the most basic stuff done a P C! Selecting where the files go in a Mac is the easy part. It's all those damn theories on Quantum Physics I'm having a problem with!

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

I have this exact model. Got it from Best Buy. Was listed for $899 open box (lol) and I talked them down to $749 with 2-yr black tie (accidental damage) tossed in for free.

It's great. Don't let 2-gigs of RAM fool you. I use it for Lightroom, browsing and word processing. Also Netflix and such. 64gigs is surprisingly manageable. I have 16gigs of RAM and a 750 HDD on my T520 at home, so I do appreciate a high performing machine, but this Air just doesn't need all that. It does very well with 2 gigs (OSX is efficient). Sad that most people see the machine, get interested, then see 2 gigs of RAM and say I'M OUT THIS ISN'T 2004!

It's a 2nd travel machine for me, so I just pull off photos when I arrive home. At any given time I have 35 gigs free. It's great for a non-primary machine!

greenblaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greenblaster

I have a disturbing suspicion that Nobgoblin might be Sarah Palin. If her political knowledge is comparable to her computer knowledge, her cover is blown.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

Conventional wisdom on Mountain Lion is don't. Many long-time Mac users are calling it Apple's Vista.

ashley2084

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashley2084

Do you receive apple care free for a year when you purchase this computer from woot? Anyone know the answer? Or do you have to purchase the 3-year apple care package separately?

Thanks!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

ashley2084 wrote:Do you receive apple care free for a year when you purchase this computer from woot? Anyone know the answer? Or do you have to purchase the 3-year apple care package separately?

Thanks!

Today's sale comes with a 1 year Apple Warranty. You can also purchase a (5 year) Square Trade warranty (link on the Features tab). You're welcome to also utilize Apple Care, but as it is, it is not free or offered for today's product.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

1stmeridian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1stmeridian

64GB HD? What is this? A toy?